Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2013, 17:48   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
... confused between MMI (supposedly the most detailed India specific maps, especially for out of the way places) and the new entrants Garmin and Tom Tom. ... and supposedly slightly better maps than the Navteq ones of Garmin. ...
Not new entrants. Garmin is the oldest dedicated GPS unit maker, then TomTom - with MMI being a relatively new entrant in the field.

MMI maps are good, but one cannot say that it's map detailing is better than Garmin or TomTom. Current India maps are far from complete from anyone - will never be, till they get an accurate address search in place (data formatted / sanitized to produce accurate results).

Route planning is a novelty - never felt the need to use it. I found it better to take the decisions at the last moment (including detours if you change your mind) to adapt to actual conditions.

I have used Garmin and MMI maps simultaneously in South India (different devices working at the same time) - the results were never bad at the same time, nor good all the time. In some places Garmin had more info, and MMI in other places. Tough choice.

For a dedicated device, I would always choose Garmin (which has a history of engineering robust devices, and a support system in place) or TomTom. With MMI, with it's generic China-design units, I would be sweating bullets. The next best is to get the device from Garmin, and use an MMI (Garmin format) map if one thinks that is better.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 10:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For a dedicated device, I would always choose Garmin (which has a history of engineering robust devices, and a support system in place) or TomTom. With MMI, with it's generic China-design units, I would be sweating bullets. The next best is to get the device from Garmin, and use an MMI (Garmin format) map if one thinks that is better.
Thanks Der Alte!

I am leaning towards the 5" dispaly Garmin Nuvi 50LM at the moment.

What is the best place to fix the unit?
Old 14th January 2013, 19:20   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
... What is the best place to fix the unit?
Really doesn't matter, since most of the times (other than when you want to see how far is the next turn) one relies on the voice guidance. Should not obscure the view of the road and other vehicles. Most people prefer to put it low down on the windshield in the center. I prefer putting it on the right near the A-pillar. Best place is whatever *you* are comfortable with.

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th January 2013 at 19:22.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 17:40   #154
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

How accurate are these Navigation services. My colleague's last week journey ends in a open playground (kids where playing cricket - he was like) in Ghaziabad while he followed Google map for a CNG workshop.

Saw this news (international) in HT.

MapMyIndia Navigation - Review-gps.png

I don't think this kind-of will happen in India?

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 17th January 2013, 18:58   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
... Saw this news (international) in HT.
... I don't think this kind-of will happen in India? ...
If it can happen there, it can happen in India. Because ... it is not the GPS which is at fault, it is the simian behind the wheel! Doesn't it occur to them to stop at a gas station and ask? Even in Nordic countries (very low population density), it is possible to get help at night at gas stations.

This lady would have required to go to a gas station at least twice on the trip of 1500Km, which would have lasted 16-17 hours at European highway speeds, including stops. And there was no way to turn back? With exits on most highways spaced 5-10Km apart, even a country bumpkin would know how to double back on error. But that needs recognition of 'error'

Even if one absolutely relies on the instructions from the GPS unit, did the GPS company stipulate "You should leave your brain at home if you want to use this device" ???

Or, HT is just filling available empty space with garbage / sensationalism.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 20:03   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Even if one absolutely relies on the instructions from the GPS unit, did the GPS company stipulate "You should leave your brain at home if you want to use this device" ???

Or, HT is just filling available empty space with garbage / sensationalism.
I seriously think it is the latter! The news is too good to be true. Can we get so lost is today's hurried life? I for once would love to just forget work, life, get lost and drive for 1500 kms without a reason
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 09:16   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

It happened to me just a few days ago. We wanted to visit Golden temple in Vellore.I punched in the destination into my sygic when i was still on the highway about 2 kms outside vellore city.And this fellow took me through some bylanes and stopped me at a garbage dump telling, you have arrived at your destination! I was like
Old 18th January 2013, 10:21   #158
BANNED

I once had a similar experience. I was looking for a resort in village on the Delhi-Jaipur highway. I set my GPS to navigate to the village, ended up in a half horse village with the same name. So I cannot blame the GPS (Garmin with SatGuide maps).
Old 18th January 2013, 12:26   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
... Golden temple in Vellore.I punched in the destination into my sygic when i was still on the highway about 2 kms outside vellore city.And this fellow took me through some bylanes and stopped me at a garbage dump ...
Thank your stars it didn't take you to the one in Amritsar!
Old 27th February 2013, 13:18   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Against all odds...may I declare without running the risk of being killed, I got myself a MMI Vx140s Premium device last evening. Yet to take a drive with it, looks useful to me as of home demo.

Will post a detailed experience once I spend some time with the device on the road.

Regards,
Saket
Old 27th February 2013, 14:28   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I seriously think it is the latter! The news is too good to be true. Can we get so lost is today's hurried life? I for once would love to just forget work, life, get lost and drive for 1500 kms without a reason
Please don't forget to call me on your lost trip. That's a dream.

At times, I feel like going to the Himalayas and settle there.
Old 27th February 2013, 16:13   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Against all odds...may I declare without running the risk of being killed, I got myself a MMI Vx140s Premium device last evening. Yet to take a drive with it, looks useful to me as of home demo.

Will post a detailed experience once I spend some time with the device on the road.

Regards,
Saket
+ 1 to that.

Eagerly awaiting your review Saket. In the review, do compare the 140 S with any other PNDs you have had an opportunity to use , to put things in perspective. Happy navigating.

Cheers!
Old 27th February 2013, 22:15   #163
BHPian

Appreciate if anybody can explain this to me.
I have recently purchased an XUV 500 W8, that comes with inbuilt GPS, powered by MMI. This morning I went from point A to B, a distance of 65 kms, navigated by MMI. On the return journey, I asked MMI to navigate back to Point A. It sure did but by a considerably longer route of 90 kms . Why did that happen? Did I do anything wrong?
Appreciate any comments on this. Thanks all.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I have been using a MMI unit (BX-200) for a few months now. One aspect I still can't figure out is how to ensure MMI routes to a specific house number. I can see that the map has house numbers , yet when I key in the house number, it will design the route to the colony, instead of the specific house.
Any tips?
Old 5th March 2013, 21:31   #165
Senior - BHPian

Anyone aware of a MMI service center in Bangalore were I can get my GPS unit serviced . The MMI Road Pilot model I have shut down as soon as powered on. I have checked the charger and it seems fine due to the LED lit.
Any inputs would be appreciated.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks