Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 16:24   #106
BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Congratulations on your new MMI App. It has been almost 6months now since I am using MMI and it has never let me down till now. Its giving me 98% accuracy which is quite good especially in a country like India.

Happy navigating!!
Have you been using the same app? On which device?
Old 20th March 2012, 15:14   #107
BHPian

I have a query. Right now I'm having a Samsung Galaxy S (first edition or galaxy s1) and will be buying the Samsung Galaxy S3 in June/July during when it will be launched. If i purchase an MMI app in a SD card now for this phone, will i be able to use the same in my new phone? Do the MMI give their maps and software in regular SD card or in micro SD card?
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
@Avinashv: Sorry for the late reply. I am using my MMI that came along with CASKA HU. Lemme know for further info on this.

Cheers,
Kiran
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:46   #109
BANNED

I have upgraded MMI v.6.0 maps to v.7.0 yesterday in my CASKA HU . It was purchased from the CASKA dealer here in cochin. Initial impression seems good with more details of my city including house nos.<ight be going for a trip this week..Will give the detailed impression after that...
Cheers
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Is there any other way to add Via points other than selecting the place in the screen by touching the area?
It's very tough to do it.
In Google maps we can add Via points by searching the name of the place, which is very easier compare to this one.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:47   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
I have a query. Right now I'm having a Samsung Galaxy S (first edition or galaxy s1) and will be buying the Samsung Galaxy S3 in June/July during when it will be launched. If i purchase an MMI app in a SD card now for this phone, will i be able to use the same in my new phone? Do the MMI give their maps and software in regular SD card or in micro SD card?
@Harshavarthan: I guess that software comes in a CD or DVD which needs to be synched to your mobile device using a computer. Also I think it gets locked to the IMEI of the mobile device on which it is initially used and cannot be reused for another device. You also have a download from the net option which works out quite economical. Please check their website for more details.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Is there any other way to add Via points other than selecting the place in the screen by touching the area?
It's very tough to do it.
In Google maps we can add Via points by searching the name of the place, which is very easier compare to this one.
On the mobile app there is an option of charting the route itinerary whereby you can add via points by searching the name of the place. I guess the same feature should be available for the HU based GPS device software as well though I am not sure.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:02   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I am using the MMI app on my Nokia C6 and it works like a dream. It has been the guiding light on my drive to Kanyakumari and Thiruvanantapuram last year end where otherwise I would have had to waste time asking for directions. Also it saved me a lot of pain since I am not familiar with the language in the places on the route and it would have been difficult to get someone speaking English or Hindi all the time.
FasterPhene is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:26   #114
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
First, select your origin and destination. Check the route overview/summary. If you are not satisfied with the recommended route, you can manually change the route by adding via points like this:

Menu>Find location/Find PoI/Building Name/My favourite places>Add a via point.

Then, check the changed route:

Route>Route overview/via points list [you can shift the via points upwards or downwards in the route as you like]

But, there is a problem here. You can only select via points from PoI, cities/towns/localities/villages marked on the map with a name/tag/supported by latitude and longitude. You cannot select a spot which is not categorised under any of these groups. For example, if you want to select an unknown spot on a highway, then selecting that spot by touch screen [after magnifying the map] is the best way. I follow the touch-screen method to insert via points in my MMI Lx130 navigator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPhene View Post
I guess the same feature should be available for the HU based GPS device software as well though I am not sure.
It is available in PND also as detailed above.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi
First, select your origin and destination. Check the route overview/summary. If you are not satisfied with the recommended route, you can manually change the route by adding via points like this:

Menu>Find location/Find PoI/Building Name/My favourite places>Add a via point.

Then, check the changed route:

Route>Route overview/via points list [you can shift the via points upwards or downwards in the route as you like]

But, there is a problem here. You can only select via points from PoI, cities/towns/localities/villages marked on the map with a name/tag/supported by latitude and longitude. You cannot select a spot which is not categorised under any of these groups. For example, if you want to select an unknown spot on a highway, then selecting that spot by touch screen [after magnifying the map] is the best way. I follow the touch-screen method to insert via points in my MMI Lx130 navigator.

It is available in PND also as detailed above.
Thanx. I used to add via points by magnifying the map. But the via point through Menu is very muck cumbersome. I tried multiple times and never completed as per my wish. Let try another time
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I am using the MMI app on my Nokia C6 and it works like a dream. It has been the guiding light on my drive to Kanyakumari and Thiruvanantapuram last year end where otherwise I would have had to waste time asking for directions. Also it saved me a lot of pain since I am not familiar with the language in the places on the route and it would have been difficult to get someone speaking English or Hindi all the time.
& how is the data usage? Like would you know how much of data you have used like that trip you did to Trivandrum?
Have heard it's a data hogger so even though i have google navigation activated on my android i use it very sparsely.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
& how is the data usage? Like would you know how much of data you have used like that trip you did to Trivandrum?
Have heard it's a data hogger so even though i have google navigation activated on my android i use it very sparsely.
I am on an 2G data plan of Airtel which is Rs 98 per month with a 2GB limit. Trust me I have never till date used more than 700MB even if I tried hard. We were on the tour for a week and on most days I have used the MMI GPS app but it didnt hog much of the data. However I had to keep the mobile connected to the car charger all the time.
FasterPhene is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 19:45   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I am on an 2G data plan of Airtel which is Rs 98 per month with a 2GB limit. Trust me I have never till date used more than 700MB even if I tried hard. We were on the tour for a week and on most days I have used the MMI GPS app but it didnt hog much of the data. However I had to keep the mobile connected to the car charger all the time.
That's the exact plan i am on . Thanks for all the info FasterPhene. Right now the Google navigation which i activated on my phone two weeks back is doing a good job. The only issue is it doesn't announce the upcoming right turn like about 10 seconds earlier like a GPS but right at the point when your almost on top of the turn.
Old 24th March 2012, 19:48   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
I have upgraded MMI v.6.0 maps to v.7.0 yesterday in my CASKA HU . It was purchased from the CASKA dealer here in cochin. Initial impression seems good with more details of my city including house nos.<ight be going for a trip this week..Will give the detailed impression after that...
Cheers
@dilipkumar: Congrats on your MMI 7.0 upgrade. I currently have 6.0 in my CASKA HU and would like to upgrade for 7.0. Please let me know how I can get it done online without having to do the running around.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th March 2012, 21:48   #120
BHPian

Quick question,

If I get a MMI module for my Pioneer HU (4490BT), will it slow the HU down?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks