Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 14:18   #91
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

I have a basic question about installing components in the front on the XUV5OO - the woofer would be mounted in the stock location on the door but what about the tweeter?

I have seen some installs on team-bhp that mount the tweeter on the interior face of the mirror mount but does this need drilling or cutting by the installer? Do they need to have a special type of saw or drill-bit for this?

I've had a look at some threads including nitinralli's incredible one for the XUV ICE but couldn't find an answer to my question.

It seems that most folks have opted for components (obviously for the much better SQ over coaxials) but if I were to simply replace all stock door speakers with good quality coaxials, I should see a noticeable improvement, right?
Old 27th September 2013, 14:40   #92

If u donot want to spend too much and still want better sound, simply replace ur stock speakera with infinity components (reference series). 4 speakers will coat abt 13K and sound will definitely improve. U can even avoid an amp. Initially dont get an amp. Later if u want more kick in the sound, go in for any decent 4 channel amp without processor
sahil.propel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 15:12   #93
BHPian

I recently upgraded to the XUV in June 2013 (you can see my ownership thread here) and got the ICE installed at the dealership itself, Anant Cars. They have done an excellent job, too. Here's what I have changed/added:

Infinity PR6500CS component speakers (4 Nos., one on each door + 4 tweeters two on the A pillars and two on the B pillars, just around shoulder height)

JBL GT-X626 4 Channel amplifier, placed under the front passenger seat.

The difference in sound quality, especially at higher volume levels, over the stock speakers is quite large, so just replacing the speakers seem to be sufficient. You can't replace the head unit anyway and I didn't see the need to blow too much money when this sounded good enough.

If you want some pictures, let me know, I will click some and upload it here.
Stryker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 15:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil.propel View Post
If u donot want to spend too much and still want better sound, simply replace ur stock speakera with infinity components
Thanks, Sahil. But my question was also about components - where do I mount the tweeters? Coaxials are a straightforward replacement in the stock positions but components are not, right?
Old 27th September 2013, 15:19   #95

True. For the front components mount them on the A pillar on the panel inside the side view mirror. For the rear ones place them on B pillars facing towards the rear seats.
Old 27th September 2013, 15:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
If you want some pictures, let me know, I will click some and upload it here.
That would be very helpful Stryker!
Old 27th September 2013, 16:08   #97
BHPian

OK, just ran down to the parking lot and snapped these for your reference. My XUV is a W8, so I couldn't mount it on the pillars since there are air bags in the B pillars. If you are buying a W6, the pillars would be a better option. On a W8, these seem to be the only place to mount them.

Front tweeter mounted on the front part of the window frame:
ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV500-tweeter-front.jpg

Rear tweeter mounted on the door just above the pocket:
ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV500-tweeter-rear.jpg
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 17:11   #98
BHPian

Thanks very much, Stryker! Genuinely appreciate it! I am guessing that mounting the tweeters would require drilling into the plastic surfaces. If only Mahindra could have provided better speakers by default. Sigh.
Old 27th September 2013, 17:44   #99
BHPian

You are welcome, TNAWAYAJ. Yes, the tweeters require drilling, but the dealer has done an excellent job of this. They do have specialized tools for the same, so there is no awkward gaps or anything like that.

I have the original speakers with me, they are Nippon branded. Not sure where they are sourced from though. Never heard of that brand earlier, they don't seem to be too good sounding anyway.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSoul View Post
Here goes the entire configuration -

Front - Focal Polyglass 165 VB Comps
Rear - Focal Polyglass 165 VB Comps (I can see some eyebros getting raised..
Amp - Focal Solid 4 Black
Damping - Focal BAM XL 1 Kit - All four doors damped (60%)
Hilo Converter - Rockford Fosgate - 2 Nos
Scosche Wiring Kit
Rockford Fosgate RCA Cord
Hi DS!

What was the total cost of your setup? From where/whom in Pune did you get it installed?

I just moved to Pune a few months back, so any chance I can bug you for a demo??

Hate the current sound system in the XUV and looking for a reliable guy/decent setup to get it done.

Thanks!
Old 10th October 2013, 15:22   #101

hi - I wanted to know if anyone has a bit one / bit ten installed in their car here in Bangalore please?.
Old 4th February 2014, 17:17   #102

I've recently moved to XUV500 W4 from my Ertiga VDi. As the W4 OEM ICE sans many must have features, needs your advice on the upgrade options;
- Is there any ICE available in the market would fit in to XUV dashboard? I am open for a suitable MMI device also!
- Is it possible to insall tweeters in the dash?
Old 5th February 2014, 11:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeew View Post
... - Is there any ICE available in the market would fit in to XUV dashboard? ...
Any 2DIN HU will fit. You might need a fascia adapter though - not difficult to get. HUs without touchscreen cost 12-15K. With touchscreen they cost 18K upwards. HUs with navigation cost upwards of 35K, or one can buy HUs which support a hide-away navigation box (same brand, or MMI)

Quote:
... I am open for a suitable MMI device also!
MMI is a map vendor, and their strength is not in hardware capabilities. They usually buy white-branded China / Taiwan units, and load their maps in it. Music quality is the same as that of China-made diskless HUs which are a favorite of taxi drivers!!!

Quote:
... - Is it possible to insall tweeters in the dash?
DON'T, even it were to be possible - it will give a weird sound image and be excruciatingly bright. The right places to mount tweeters are (in order of preference):
* Inside the ORVM mount / sail panel
* On the A-pillar, about 4" above the dash
* On the door pad of the doors, as near to the hinge end as possible
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 00:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Any 2DIN HU will fit. You might need a fascia adapter though - not difficult to get.
Out of curiosity, has anyone on the forum/someone known fitted such an adapter? Haven't seen any HU replacements setups in an xuv, hence asked. How much would one cost approximately?
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:56   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone on the forum/someone known fitted such an adapter? Haven't seen any HU replacements setups in an xuv, hence asked. How much would one cost approximately?
No, haven't seen any member write about replacing the HU also. Have seen a couple on the road, but not sure where they got it from or if they have at all needed one. The OE HU seems to be a regular 2DIN, not an integrated one.

That part should cost <2K - it is just an uncomplicated rectangular decorative FRP part.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks