Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 20:25   #106
BHPian

I was at the accessories outlet today and was looking at options to have better quality audio output in my new XUV. I would not want to change the base unit even though it is nippon make only for the reason that aloads of features are connected and do not want to mess with it.

I seek advice on speakers, amplifiers and woofer with same Nippon source unit.. Suggestions please.

I have a 4 ch sony amp and need to typically install 4 new speakers of a cost efficient model. Please do advice on brand model and indicative costs. Also if you can suggest a professional store in mumbai
Old 9th March 2014, 21:05   #107
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Hi Kartik, If you are on a tight budget and if your car support 6.5 inch speakers on the 4 doors, you can try Infinity, Boston or JBL components. However if you can extend your budget, you can look at Focal or Morel or Rainbows. I have heard that the install has to be done carefully as the access to the speakers is tough and the fitting has to be perfect and the plastics are quite finicky. However to ensure you have a good sound stage setup, you may want to extend your budget to look at a sub woofer, which may call for any additional mono block or a 2 channel amp.
Old 10th March 2014, 07:13   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
Hi Kartik, If you are on a tight budget and if your car support 6.5 inch speakers on the 4 doors, you can try Infinity, Boston or JBL components. However if you can extend your budget, you can look at Focal or Morel or Rainbows. I have heard that the install has to be done carefully as the access to the speakers is tough and the fitting has to be perfect and the plastics are quite finicky. However to ensure you have a good sound stage setup, you may want to extend your budget to look at a sub woofer, which may call for any additional mono block or a 2 channel amp.
Thanks Sparsh.
I already have a 4ch amp and did try morel component but it wasnt giving good output as there was gap in the speaker holding space on doors. The vendor is asking to look at focal component and amp. Also there is no space in the xuv to put woofer. I have limited knowledge of focal which model and its costs. Ideally if anyone can suggest a reliable professional it would help.
Old 10th March 2014, 14:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
... I seek advice on speakers, amplifiers and woofer with same Nippon source unit.. Suggestions please.

I have a 4 ch sony amp and need to typically install 4 new speakers of a cost efficient model. Please do advice on brand model and indicative costs. Also if you can suggest a professional store in mumbai
1. You need a pair of 6.5" (I think that is the OE size) components in front: mid-bass in front doors, tweeters at the sail panel. Drive the components with the Front channels of the Sony amp. Audition various brands and models - JBL, Infinity, Morel, Focal, Rainbow etc. - and pick one that doesn't irritate you. Should cost you 5-12K depending on what you select

2. Put 6x9" ovals in the rear (5th) door, and drive them from the Nippon HU. These should cost you 3-6K

3. Get a JBL, Infinity, Polk or such 12" sub in a sealed box, and bridge it across the Rear channels of the amp. Sub + box would cost 5-6K

Tune the system well (or get it tuned from an experienced person) and it will completely change the sound in the car
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 14:44   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. You need a pair of 6.5" (I think that is the OE size) components in front: mid-bass in front doors, tweeters at the sail panel. Drive the components with the Front channels of the Sony amp. Audition various brands and models - JBL, Infinity, Morel, Focal, Rainbow etc. - and pick one that doesn't irritate you. Should cost you 5-12K depending on what you select

2. Put 6x9" ovals in the rear (5th) door, and drive them from the Nippon HU. These should cost you 3-6K

3. Get a JBL, Infinity, Polk or such 12" sub in a sealed box, and bridge it across the Rear channels of the amp. Sub + box would cost 5-6K

Tune the system well (or get it tuned from an experienced person) and it will completely change the sound in the car
Thank you. One more help does anyone know of a reliable and professional to do this.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. One more help does anyone know of a reliable and professional to do this.
Please check the Mumbai installers section.
Old 16th March 2014, 13:04   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I recently upgraded to the XUV in June 2013 (you can see my ownership thread here) and got the ICE installed at the dealership itself, Anant Cars. They have done an excellent job, too. Here's what I have changed/added:

Infinity PR6500CS component speakers (4 Nos., one on each door + 4 tweeters two on the A pillars and two on the B pillars, just around shoulder height)

JBL GT-X626 4 Channel amplifier, placed under the front passenger seat.

The difference in sound quality, especially at higher volume levels, over the stock speakers is quite large, so just replacing the speakers seem to be sufficient. You can't replace the head unit anyway and I didn't see the need to blow too much money when this sounded good enough.

If you want some pictures, let me know, I will click some and upload it here.

Can you please let me know where you got this done in Bangalore. You seemed to have got the amplifier but said its optional, can you tell me what exactly would be the difference in sound quality with and without the amp. Lastly, how much did the 6" Infinity components cost you?

Last edited by gurudutt : 16th March 2014 at 13:06.
Old 17th March 2014, 11:33   #113
BHPian

Update: Ice on my XUV500

As stated in my earlier posts, i was facing a challenge in replacing my OEM speakers to new ones. The first shop messed up buy trying Morel, then Cadence, then Pioneer with sony 4ch amp.

Finally fed up of trials, i kept original Nippon speakers and connected the amp to it. The result little better sound output but whizzing sound from speakers, blue tooth too loud, frequency noise from mobiles.

This near disastrous attempt left me really frustrated. Then on reading a lot of reviews and recommends on our site, i spoke to Anmol from Reliable electrical (suggested on the site). They have a shop in Lamington road and chembur. Extremely professional guy spoke at length and told me upfront that to get a good sound output in XUV500 is a task mainly due to the fact that HU cannot be replaced as whole lot of connections involved coupled with space constraints to fit speakers and woofer. The HU does not have a good output.

Post 1 week of discussion we agreed on replacing the 2nd door speakers with Infinity reference series and installing Power Base 600W shallow woofer. The 4 ch amp continues to be as it is. The work started with them studying the current problems, the whizzing sound of amp and blue tooth issues.

It was decided that we connect the amp to rear speakers and woofer and all other stuff like blue tooth etc.be connected to front speaker. Also a button was put to switch off the amp as for some strange reason the amp is always on in this HU post connected which gave all these weird sounds.

I am not an expert in all these technology stuff but was convinced by the Anmol and his team. I agreed and we finished the work in 6 hours along with a custom built box for woofer which fits in last row, between door and last seat with a clip to remove if required. So the final installation is OEM HU, Nippon OEM speakers in front, Infinity reference series in rear, along with tweeter mounted on pillar behind neatly without drilling just one screw setup and Power bass 600 W woofers in rear. The final result was good with a fantastic sound output. When I use blue tooth I switch off amp through a neatly placed switch hidden from sight and all whizzing, hissing buzzing sound are gone.

The shop at chembur where i did the installation does not look like any Auto systems or an accessories outlet. It looks like an old shop with all dying old tape recorders and systems. They have been dealing in audio for past 25 years and auto systems mainly.

The team Anmol enterprising second generation who does work himself, his dad who has been fitting only automobile music systems for past 25 years and Zakir Bhai a patient expert dealing in music systems fitting since 20 years. Great team and does job neatly with lot of practical approach and long lasting fitments. The small things that were noticed were like soldering points, putting taping and tagging in neat manner, ensuring that even if you remove it later you will identify how and from where wiring is done.

I am going to test it for few days and see how the output materializes and fine tune it. As of now i am happy. I am aware that this looks like a fix to issue rather than a seamless installation, but it is

Note: I am an end user beneficiary and nowhere related to the installing outlet or owners.

Last edited by kARTIK IYER : 17th March 2014 at 11:36. Reason: Post appeared with details of Font, color etc..
Old 17th March 2014, 12:39   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It was decided that we connect the amp to rear speakers and woofer and all other stuff like blue tooth etc.be connected to front speaker. Also a button was put to switch off the amp as for some strange reason the amp is always on in this HU post connected which gave all these weird sounds.
... They have been dealing in audio for past 25 years and auto systems mainly. ...
Doesn't add up, *really*!!!

If they are so convincing, skilled and experienced - why were they not able to figure out that the amp was *badly* wired??? Grounding is bad; Remote turn-on is not connected; RCA cables connecting the LoC to amp are bad - and probably the LoC too (not sure, but XUV 5OO HU doesn't have Pre-outs, IIRC). Now you have a decent system - but without a decent front stage! Do you drive yourself, or are you driven?

Please contact @bass&trouble (Ajay) or @ramie4200, and show your installation to them. They would be able to get your system to sound the way it should.

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th March 2014 at 12:40.
Old 17th March 2014, 13:19   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't add up, *really*!!!

If they are so convincing, skilled and experienced - why were they not able to figure out that the amp was *badly* wired??? Grounding is bad; Remote turn-on is not connected; RCA cables connecting the LoC to amp are bad - and probably the LoC too (not sure, but XUV 5OO HU doesn't have Pre-outs, IIRC). Now you have a decent system - but without a decent front stage! Do you drive yourself, or are you driven?

Please contact @bass&trouble (Ajay) or @ramie4200, and show your installation to them. They would be able to get your system to sound the way it should.
The earlier installation was done through a different vendor. Also all four speakers are working even when amp is switched on. I wanted the output to be more in rear with less at front as the speakers are mounted on door and right up near window and it irritates me .XUV 5oo HU has pre-outs(not sure though) but everyone avoids touching the HU as it has hosts of features connected. Even in the forum alot of people have shared that.

So if the system is switched on along with amp now, i do not get any sound. The problem is blue tooth becomes extremely loud and each time i need to reduce volumes.

Frankly i am not quite a expert or would say a layman on tech stuff for systems and installation, but was getting a good sound output with all my issues killed.

As advised i will touch base with names recommended and will seek opinion.

Thanks

I would also seek yopur support if you can explain your concerns or suggestions in simple terminology as i am sure alot of readers like me struggle withbasic information or understanding of systems and its installations.
Old 17th March 2014, 13:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Also all four speakers are working even when amp is switched on. ...
That is a rather confusing expression: they *are* supposed to work when connected to the HU or the amp. OR, not AND. I am sure someone hasn't connected both the HU output and the Amp output in parallel at the speaker. Or have they???

Quote:
... I wanted the output to be more in rear with less at front as the speakers are mounted on door and right up near window and it irritates me ...
Sure sign of you not getting a decent audio image in front. The sound image in front is supposed to appear above the dash - ideally near the windshield. To reduce the loudness in front / rear, one has to the use the Fader function (would be in the menu with Balance etc.): in your case, fade to Rear.

Quote:
... XUV 5oo HU has pre-outs(not sure though) but everyone avoids touching the HU as it has hosts of features connected. Even in the forum alot of people have shared that. ...
The issue is why spend more and replace the functionality-rich HU. An aftermarket 2DIN HU from Kenwood, Pioneer, Bosch or JVC etc., though with much better sound and more practical / better features, would need an investment of 35K or thereabouts.

Quote:
... So if the system is switched on along with amp now, i do not get any sound. ...
Not able to make out what you are describing. Could you please elaborate?

Quote:
... The problem is blue tooth becomes extremely loud and each time i need to reduce volumes. ...
Strange. Even my 7-years old Kenwood HU with BT has a separate volume control for calls over BT. Could you please check if your system has that? Once set, the HU should remember the volume control setting, unless the HU is completely disconnected.

Quote:
... As advised i will touch base with names recommended and will seek opinion. ...
Please do close the loop here once everything is sorted out. Will be a good pointer to others.

Quote:
... I would also seek yopur support if you can explain your concerns or suggestions in simple terminology as i am sure alot of readers like me struggle withbasic information or understanding of systems and its installations.
Gladly, sir. The difficulty is guessing how much terminology the poster knows. Sometimes one unknowingly lapses into jargon while discussing.
Old 17th March 2014, 14:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
That is a rather confusing expression: they *are* supposed to work when connected to the HU or the amp. OR, not AND. I am sure someone hasn't connected both the HU output and the Amp output in parallel at the speaker. Or have they???

Sure sign of you not getting a decent audio image in front. The sound image in front is supposed to appear above the dash - ideally near the windshield. To reduce the loudness in front / rear, one has to the use the Fader function (would be in the menu with Balance etc.): in your case, fade to Rear.

The issue is why spend more and replace the functionality-rich HU. An aftermarket 2DIN HU from Kenwood, Pioneer, Bosch or JVC etc., though with much better sound and more practical / better features, would need an investment of 35K or thereabouts.

Not able to make out what you are describing. Could you please elaborate?

Strange. Even my 7-years old Kenwood HU with BT has a separate volume control for calls over BT. Could you please check if your system has that? Once set, the HU should remember the volume control setting, unless the HU is completely disconnected.

Please do close the loop here once everything is sorted out. Will be a good pointer to others.
[i]
Gladly, sir. The difficulty is guessing how much terminology the poster knows. Sometimes one unknowingly lapses into jargon while discussing.
Sorry but little lost over here. I will get certain facts re verified with installers and maybe with names suggested. I could have quoted the installation in my terms and may not be complete or accurate. I primarily do not think that the installers took me for some royal ride or palmed off shoddy work under disguise of sound that is good to hear. Nor did they charge a bomb for doing it. People who have been in audio business for 20 years plus and a good track record generally do not do such quick kills.

Nevertheless I get it checked with them and names suggested and will post. Thank you chief
Old 8th May 2014, 15:15   #118
BHPian

Guys, Need your advice on following setup.

I have W8 model and want to upgrade the sound quality keeping my head unit intact.

I do not want Amp, Sub woofer as of now. Instead, I want to go for best of the speakers. For that I have shortlisted below brands ( All are coaxial )

Focal integration IC 165 for front ( 5800 INR )
Infinity Kappa 62.11i for rear (6300 INR )
or Vice Versa

1. Is it advisable to mix two brands of speakers?
2. If Not, which of the two brands would you suggest?

I am getting very competitive prices on Snapdeal.com as there are some offers going on.

Waiting for your reply
Thanks

Last edited by sbr_yash : 8th May 2014 at 15:17.
sbr_yash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 17:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr_yash View Post
... ( All are coaxial ) ...
Not advisable. Spend some more, and get a good pair of components in front. Also remember, costlier isn't necessarily better.

Quote:
... 1. Is it advisable to mix two brands of speakers? ...
Since there is an intermixing of sounds from front and rear, it is prudent to match sound signatures. Even untrained ears can make out differences. It is not about brands.

Quote:
... 2. If Not, which of the two brands would you suggest? ... I am getting very competitive prices on Snapdeal.com ...
There are many other brands too, apart from Infinity and Focal - Rainbow, Morel, Auditor, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, ... First go around to some shops and listen to different speakers. Of the ones that you like (some you will not, definitely), check the prices on Snapdeal and compare. Don't buy without listening - a brand and high price is not a guarantee of good sound for you.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:05   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Need your advice on following setup.

I have W8 model and want to upgrade the sound quality keeping my head unit intact.

I do not want Amp, Sub woofer as of now. Instead, I want to go for best of the speakers. For that I have shortlisted below brands ( All are coaxial )

Focal integration IC 165 for front ( 5800 INR )
Infinity Kappa 62.11i for rear (6300 INR )
or Vice Versa

1. Is it advisable to mix two brands of speakers?
2. If Not, which of the two brands would you suggest?

I am getting very competitive prices on Snapdeal.com as there are some offers going on.

Waiting for your reply
Thanks

Hey, what did you finally opt for. Am looking for some better sound too, and would be glad to get some inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks