Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 12:56   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
Please seek expert opinion on damping the hood. It surely is a fire risk. One of the reasons why you don't find any type of hood lining on modern cars, let alone damping.
Are damping sheets flammable?
Old 20th February 2024, 16:31   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Are damping sheets flammable?
It is flammable. But it becomes a fire risk when under the hood for obvious reasons. I saw a YT video to this effect.
TopLiveCentre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 21:58   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
One of the reasons why you don't find any type of hood lining on modern cars, let alone damping.
My Polo TDI has it.

My guess was always that one has the extra damping on diesel cars due to the noisier engines
Old 24th February 2024, 01:35   #1429
Senior - BHPian

I'm interested in getting some damping done in my doors but I just wanted to check with the experts if these sheets trap moisture and increase rusting ? I'm anyways in a rust prone area (Mumbai Coast) and don't want to take a risk.
Old 25th February 2024, 10:05   #1430
BHPian

[/quote]
What about damping the space between the door flap and the hollows of the door rather going right in and possibly trapping moisture on the outer part of the door? It should have enough damping effect.
Old 10th March 2024, 16:43   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer has now launched damping in India as well. This should be available easily.

https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...r-accessories/

There's also a local company called Paramat that should be available easily.
Old 3rd April 2024, 22:39   #1432
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

I could not find a dedicated thread, so posting here.

I am posting this query for a friend's car, not purely for sound deadening, but also for Heat Shielding/Insulation. Before I start, do pardon my lack of knowledge regarding the subject and topic; I have only been reading/researching regarding Damping/Sound deadening/Heat insulation over the past few weeks. Also, I may not have used the correct technical terms, please feel free to correct me wherever I am mistaken or my understanding is incorrect/inadequate.

Car: Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Sportz AT (AMT) 2021 model year
Colour: Aqua Teal
Location: Predominantly driven in South Indian States (KA/KL/TN)

As it is currently one of the hottest summers in India, Air Conditioning has become our best friend. The problem is sometimes, the car's AC is not up to the mark or the heat of the Sun is much more than the AC can handle.

For the current summer of 2024, initially, we assumed it could be combated with sun film, so we installed Garware Icecool Shield on all the windows (windshield + all 4 doors + hatch glass). While it has stopped the ingress of heat via the glass area; we encountered the radiation of heat from the roof. I am quite tall and my head is quite near to the roof, maybe 2-3 inches away, can feel the heat.

We are already aware of the wafer-thin roof that Hyundai provides, as during the rainy season, one feels they are under sheet roofing used in Kaccha homes or Industries. So looking for both Sound Deadening and Heat Insulation

I did read maybe 50% of the thread and watched quite a few YouTube videos.

An Example,

My questions are:

1. Which of the below options is ideal in this scenario?
A. i-Copper i-D5 Ultimate Soundproof mat
https://www.motorogue.in/i-copper-i-...proof-mat.html
This is a 3-in-1 product having Aluminium + Butyl + Foam, a total of 7mm thickness in the space between the car roof and the roof trim.

B. Blaupunkt Damp 3.0 2mm Damping Sheets & Blaupunkt Door Pad Vibration Arrester DPVA 2.0 Door Pad Vibration Arrester
(My best guess is https://amzn.in/d/7cOEydA + https://amzn.in/d/3leQyMA)
The way mentioned in the video, to use a sound-deadening mat first, followed by a closed-cell foam layer. I am not sure regarding the thickness of the foam layer.

C. Using the materials used in the following thread by BHPian dipdawiz.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/diy-do...-sound-quality
I feel that the Nitrile Tape used in this will not suit in my use case senario

D. Forget everything and get the roof wrapped in a shade of silver that matches the car.

E. What D-BHPian Leoshashi did, using Vibrofiltr Damping sheets and DrArtex Baffle Plus foam. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5199253 (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)
While I would really like to go this route, the price beyond the budget we had in mind at present.
My best guess is to do option A, despite it being the slightly pricier option, but I am not sure about the application over the roof beams.

Also, we plan to do this as a DIY, as most shops charge around Rs.20,000/- just for the roof. Maybe post this experience, may dampen the 4 doors + hatch at a later stage. Any inputs/tips/videos on removing the roof trim from the roof would be helpful. My understanding is not to apply the dampening sheet all over the roof, just in patches, and to avoid the roof beams; the foam material can be applied all over.

Thank you in advance, and will update this thread based on the decision taken and our experience with the product, pre- and post- application.

PS. Going through the thread, the prices of Dampening sheets went up post covid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks