Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 13:58   #376
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post
The Android Auto HU I installed in my car has Zlink which runs the Android Auto/Car play server and my phone connects to it using bluetooth. I have observed that Zlink apk is available for download. Not sure how safe it is to install on a Android HU.

My daughter's WagonR 2023 ZXi has the aftermarket Brazo android HU installed. This offers mirroring which is not as convenient as Android Auto.

Would it work as Android Auto if I download and install Zlink on it? Is the apk safe and free of malicious software? Has anyone tried it?
Where are you getting the download link for Zlink? I dont see it on the Google play store so I assume you are getting it from the internet (or is it from the Android HU brand's website?). Either way, getting it from outside the play store has some associated risk since you cant be 100% sure that the app has no malware/not been tampered with.

Also usually such kind of Wireless AA apps have some kind of hardware dependencies also as far as I know. So even if you install it on a non supported HU, it may not work. But maybe worth trying it out just in case.
Old 2nd February 2024, 16:05   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Where are you getting the download link for Zlink? I dont see it on the Google play store so I assume you are getting it from the internet (or is it from the Android HU brand's website?). Either way, getting it from outside the play store has some associated risk since you cant be 100% sure that the app has no malware/not been tampered with.

Also usually such kind of Wireless AA apps have some kind of hardware dependencies also as far as I know. So even if you install it on a non supported HU, it may not work. But maybe worth trying it out just in case.
It is not on Google Play. I found the apk with an internet search. I am aware of the potential risks with installing an apk like that. That is why I was asking if anyone else had tried installing such an apk on a plain Android HU.
Old 6th February 2024, 08:41   #378
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys. Been off the scene for a while.
Is there ANY android unit that offers Licensed Carplay and Android Auto without the mess that ZLink is?

Also, a good unit with at least 6 gb ram and good software support?

Edit: my current nexon ev unit works well but it's not compatible with the Bluetooth on my s24 ultra and now the telephony is unusable.

Last edited by frankmehta : 6th February 2024 at 08:42.
Old 6th February 2024, 10:23   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Edit: my current nexon ev unit works well but it's not compatible with the Bluetooth on my s24 ultra and now the telephony is unusable.
Are you trying to connect the phone in wired or wireless mode? If you haven't yet then try connecting it in wired mode.

EV functions are mostly accessed from the HU so I wouldn't suggest fiddling with the stock HU.

Usually Bluetooth is backward compatible, its strange that phone and HU are having BT connectivity issue.

If you still want wireless connectivity and sure that the issue is on the S24 then I would rather suggest buying a cheaper mobile phone with stock Android like Motorola Edge 40 (wireless charging variant) and use Android Auto with it, it will cost you less than upgrading the HU.

Also make sure to use the genuine high speed data cable to connect the Android Auto, not those generic charging cables with USB C endings.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 13:13   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys. Been off the scene for a while.
Is there ANY android unit that offers Licensed Carplay and Android Auto without the mess that ZLink is?
Yes. Sony XAV-3200, XAV-AX7000; Pioneer DMH-A4450BT are among few.
Just buy Android Auto compatible HU from reputed brands.

Mind that these cost more than the Chinese Android units.
dutta_d1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 17:43   #381
BHPian

Looking for a HU for Grand Vitara.
Preferably 9 inches (similar to the one that comes in Zeta variant).
Looking for suggestions - preference for the one which supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay (wired and wireless).
NOT looking for those chinese "Android" systems which need a SIM. Have heard that AA/AC tend to last longer, hence the preference.
Good reputed brands only.
Thanks!
Old 19th February 2024, 00:12   #382
BHPian

Hi Bhpians
The HU of my 2018 Ford ecosport has gone bust. The screen is probably fine, the chipset is likely gone. This has happened once before at year 4 and I had gotten it replaced free under warranty. Looking for guidance on should I approach Ford for OEM chipset or go for aftermarket units. If anybody has experience installing aftermarket HU for ecosport in Pune area please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st February 2024, 09:52   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Yes. Sony XAV-3200, XAV-AX7000; Pioneer DMH-A4450BT are among few.
Just buy Android Auto compatible HU from reputed brands.

Mind that these cost more than the Chinese Android units.

thanks, but these are not Android

i need android for the car ac functions to show on the screen, as my Nexon EV doesn't have a screen for the same
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:27   #384

Quote:
thanks, but these are not Android

i need android for the car ac functions to show on the screen, as my Nexon EV doesn't have a screen for the same
There is new HU from blaupunkt 990 jamaica 4gb/64gb 10.3" screen. It looks decent, I am looking to install it next month let's see how it goes.
Old 26th February 2024, 13:47   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post
The Android Auto HU I installed in my car has Zlink which runs the Android Auto/Car play server and my phone connects to it using bluetooth. I have observed that Zlink apk is available for download. Not sure how safe it is to install on a Android HU.

My daughter's WagonR 2023 ZXi has the aftermarket Brazo android HU installed. This offers mirroring which is not as convenient as Android Auto.

Would it work as Android Auto if I download and install Zlink on it? Is the apk safe and free of malicious software? Has anyone tried it?
Brazo HU is not good for Andriod/Apple Car play, it keeps disconnecting it wont work without Personal Hotspot enabled which consumes iphone battery/heating issues...
Old 3rd March 2024, 00:23   #386

Can any one suggest a good place to get Android unit for my BMW 320d F30 in Kerala (preferably close to Cochin or Palakkad )?

I am looking for an android unit with 360 camera if possible at least front and back cameras.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 19th March 2024, 02:59   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpkd View Post
Can any one suggest a good place to get Android unit for my BMW 320d F30 in Kerala (preferably close to Cochin or Palakkad )?

I am looking for an android unit with 360 camera if possible at least front and back cameras.

Any suggestions welcome.
Sent a message in https://canblo.com/ with your requirement. I think they can help you.
Autoxpert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 15:45   #388
BHPian

I used to think these Android HUs would be cheaply made, would take few minutes to load OS to be useable and would not readily connect to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Blaupunkt HU [Santa Rosa model] actually delivers on all of the above points and some more! My brother was looking to upgrade the HU in his Honda Jazz and I kept discouraging him from going for Android OS HUs. At the end we anyway decided to go with Blaupunkt after a bit of research.

It's a 9inch unit,
- Touch screen is fairly responsive.
- Boots-up in seconds.
- And if you had Apple CarPlay connected, it boots right into wireless Apple CarPlay view. Very seamless. Looks like they have certified Android Auto/Apple Carplay integration.
- Has an option for 360 degree camera and is surprisingly useful even in dark.

No idea of the SQ of the unit. I believe it to be fairly average - can't really test it out as Jazz has stock speakers. Also I'm coming from really low expectations about these HUs so your experience might be different. Are there any other brands with Andoid OS which offer seamless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay?
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:57   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Blaupunkt HU [Santa Rosa model] actually delivers on all of the above points and some more! My brother was looking to upgrade the HU in his Honda Jazz and I kept discouraging him from going for Android OS HUs. At the end we anyway decided to go with Blaupunkt after a bit of research.
Can you please share where you got it for and how much did the HU and 360 degree camera cost? And how's the camera quality?
I'm confused between front+rear camera and 360 degree camera. Some dealers are suggesting to get the Lauderdale from Blaupunkt.
Old 7th April 2024, 00:26   #390

Hello all, I finally purchased Woodman Nebula the 2k Sled 9-10 inch system for my Thar. Outstanding 360 clarity and 2k is crisp and colours are vibrant. 6GB Ram and 128 GB with recording feature and 3 usb outputs to add HD in the dash. Now I feel their hardware has made Woodman's software feel dated. At many places they are grainy. Check this gem out, I maybe one of the first to get this Installed in my Thar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks