Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 10:47   #181
Senior - BHPian

If the system fits in the amp case it will be good, only problem is that the heating element should touch the case properly or it will be waste. and also take care of the grounding properly, or the system will hang when in use and also not shorting the trminal [you will have to design mounts for the MB and HDD].you will need force cooling though or the cpu will fry.
Try the local seagate office they may be able to help you with find the HDD. or you can use any thing designed for laptop or even an ipod hdd[ you'll find these on ebay cheap].
Old 31st March 2008, 11:11   #182
BHPian

here you go guys, here is my final install... was a decent hardwork, but in the end it paid off...

Will post more... with details, for starters here are the pictures

Old 31st March 2008, 12:49   #183
Senior - BHPian

Superb, @diezel! Congratulations.

1. What was the length of the cable(s) from the PC cabinet to the LCD?
2. What is the 'black box' at the extreme right of the boot?
3. Did you connect the audio direct to the amp (looks like a Sony 4-ch) or did you wire it to the HU? (Which HU?)
4. Where did you put the DC-DC Convertor? (not visible in the PC cabinet)
5. Where did you draw power from?
Old 31st March 2008, 13:34   #184
Senior - BHPian

good job diezel, this vacation we can expect many more to join in with their carputers. i am waiting for my exams to get over before going for some hardware upgrade. if anyone has found motherboard with dual vga support please let me know. wanted to make my setup dual zone type.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:41   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
...if anyone has found motherboard with dual vga support please let me know. wanted to make my setup dual zone type.
These have been around for quite a while now, like the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. Unfortunately, the problem is that of the physical connectors they terminate to: most commonly they are DVI-D and VGA. You will have to hunt around for small LCDs with DVI-D input, assuming that your primary monitor on the dash is on the VGA connector.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:53   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
These have been around for quite a while now, like the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. Unfortunately, the problem is that of the physical connectors they terminate to: most commonly they are DVI-D and VGA. You will have to hunt around for small LCDs with DVI-D input, assuming that your primary monitor on the dash is on the VGA connector.
Shouldnt be hard to get hold of a DVI to VGA adapter. Most graphics card come with one , and not everyone uses it
Old 31st March 2008, 14:55   #187
Senior - BHPian

Diezel. Nice install, though I suggest that the LCD be mounted on the centre console to avoid attracting the attention of car thieves. But I guess its a lot tougher to do that on the Ikon.

Also, Can you upload the pics here so that its not deleted later? Now, its against forum rules as well.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:55   #188
BHPian

hi

[quote=spadival;769061]Ohhh.. u are the Santro guy over at MP3Car.com - Your source for mobile computing solutions! - Home! Welcome to the Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Do you mean this Santro? I must say when I saw the "case" of the computer I went .

On another note, I imagine a carputer voids the electrical warranty of your car (unless maybe professionally done), and what about fire safety issues?
No Man, i am not this santro guy..
This guy on mp3car.com is from chennai.

I still havent posted my pictures anywhere. to be frank didnt capture any during the install.

However i have a project of upgrading the install...and this time you can get to see the complete install.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:31   #189
Senior - BHPian

my old home pc has a vga and a tv out connection, but only one works at a time. alt tab to switch between both. same data is displayed in both anyways. i hope the new ones with dvi and vga are not similar in working. i have a ATI2600 pro with dvi to vga adapter but dont have two monitors else would have checked if two different displays are possible at the same time.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:44   #190
BANNED

congrates diezel...
so you are the 10th guy in INDIA having a pc in his/her car.
add up ur name on the list as well...
Old 31st March 2008, 21:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the reference to asus board DerAlte, you have given me the lead required. since i have a amd athlon 1.8 which can be used along with this, waiting for free time now
Old 31st March 2008, 21:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

The A8N-VM CSM is a socket 939 motherboard. they dont make then any more :-( .

I have an Asus M2A VM which has VGA and DVI out and according to its site , both work together.

its an AM2 board though
Old 1st April 2008, 11:10   #193
Senior - BHPian

I had given the A8N-VM board as an example - it is 2005 vintage! It is better to check on ASUS website for the current MoBos - most of them are available in India. Just look for the Dual VGA or Dual Video ones - they should have BIOS support for implementing separate screens.

I have seen some low cost micro-ATX MoBos in Japan (unfortunately don't remember the make and model; no AGP cards used) which were demo-ing a game on 2 screens as a wide canvas, and the mouse pointer would go smoothly from 1 to the other.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:31   #194
BHPian

came across this range of HCL entry level laptops.
and the specs read as follows
MiLeap Y
Intel Processor A110 - 800 MHz, FreeDOS or Linux, Intel 945GU Express Chipset, 1x1GB DDR2, 7" (17.7 cm) Wide (1024x600) LED Back Light w/z Touch Screen Panel, Swivel, Integrated Web Camera (1.3 MP) , 2 Integrated Speakers, 80GB Hard Disk Drive, VGA Out, DC-IN, Headphone, Mic-in, Built-in Mic, RJ-45, SD Card Slot, Lan Port, 2xUSB ver 2.0, On-Screen Launch Buttons, WiFi, RJ-45, BlueTooth, Stylus Pen, 3 Cells with 3 Hrs Idle Condition, Weight 980 grams.
Rs. 29,390/-

the price mentioned is the suggested retail, im sure street prices would be lower.
looks interesting, all we need to do is, take it apart..
Advisable?
Old 1st April 2008, 12:58   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
looks interesting, all we need to do is, take it apart..
Advisable?
Yepp.. Has most of the stuff that you'll need. Also you dont have to take it apart fully - just the LCD is enough. People have done it for other laptops on MP3Car.com - Your source for mobile computing solutions! - Home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks