Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 18:32   #136
BHPian

Dont worry Hydra. The Sub has already been put to sale, hasn't it?
IDMAX (whatever be the size) is very much out of budget for now dear.

Question now remains, IDQ12 or IDQ15.
I would love to go all the way in the install. It's only the box size that comes to mind.

Gill, can you please measure the amount of space that is still there to accommodate a bigger box?
Old 30th September 2007, 21:57   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
D...
Question now remains, IDQ12 or IDQ15.
I would love to go all the way in the install. It's only the box size that comes to mind. ...
Well, going IDQ is always a good choice

With the IDQ12, 0.8 to 1.0 cu.ft. would about hit the sweet spot (for a sealed box). And with the IDQ15, 1.1 to 1.2 cu.ft, is all you need for a sealed box.

For a ported box, you can go as low as 1.0 cu. ft. for the IDQ12. But the IDQ15 will need at least 2.0 cu.ft.

With the IDQ15, if vertical space for the box is not a problem in the boot, I think it should be all right.

To get maximum savings of boot space, a "sideways" install, with the back of the sub-box snug against the side of the boot would be ideal. This way, the boot-space left would be usable. If you guys try an FG box, you'll probably save even more boot-space. But with FG, I'd stick to a sealed-design.
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:43   #138
BHPian

Need some input on this case:-
In my setup distortion sets in at 26 level(No idea about the units) where as it does a max of 35(75%).Why there is a benchmark of 75% of max volume to set the gains ,what's the logic behind this?
when we set the gain, the speakers dist. at 26,so eventually 9 levels of voulme are gonne i can never use them as i can go upto 26 level only!
what i wanna ask is level at which system distorts is dependent on what(AMP,HU or Speaker)?
Can we use those 9 level of volume without puting the system at risk??
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:53   #139
Senior - BHPian

If you decrease the input signal level you'll be able to turn the knob up to 35. That is normal behaviour. Don't worry about it.
There are approximate figures, (not rigid) to maximize S/N ratios.
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:21   #140
Nos007

very well work done guyzz.. ID & JBL great combination..must have deliver awsome sound & power output.

Old 24th October 2007, 13:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Need some input on this case:-
In my setup distortion sets in at 26 level(No idea about the units) where as it does a max of 35(75%).Why there is a benchmark of 75% of max volume to set the gains ,what's the logic behind this?
when we set the gain, the speakers dist. at 26,so eventually 9 levels of voulme are gonne i can never use them as i can go upto 26 level only!
what i wanna ask is level at which system distorts is dependent on what(AMP,HU or Speaker)?
Can we use those 9 level of volume without puting the system at risk??
hi,

gill, its just that your HU clips above 26 everything is set according to that(gains). dont worry about the extra 9. i have set my max volume at around 45. my HU does 62.

cheers
clip
Old 24th October 2007, 14:11   #142
BHPian

No reason to worry brother.
Happens in nearly all HU. Think of 26 as peak horsepower point. Beyond that, it's only Over revving (and making lesser usable power)

I hope this made it clear.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:49   #143
BHPian

@Gunbir,
The new range of energy series has different looks only or there are upgradation in products too?
What about the prices and availability!!!!
Old 27th October 2007, 07:48   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,

gill, its just that your HU clips above 26 everything is set according to that(gains). dont worry about the extra 9. i have set my max volume at around 45. my HU does 62.

cheers
clip
Another factor is mp3, as most of them are encoded at low bit rates so there is compromise in quality and talking about max volume i have pio 6950IB which goes up to 62 and mine one max out depending on mp3 played or audio cd played. i have rockford components all around and while playing TOP GEAR audio cd, system was not distorting even at 60 so i guess it how you tune your system and GILL shabb try to bring amp gain a bit down or change HU settings. disable LOUD option and do not max bass.

Last edited by overdose14 : 27th October 2007 at 07:50.
Old 27th October 2007, 08:27   #145
BHPian

Nice of you to post here Sidhu sahab.

Anyways, there are two different things that are being talked about.
One is clipping in absolute terms. (Test tone CD will tell you that)
One is clipping in perceived terms. (Your ears will tell you that)

In Gill's system, clipping in absolute terms starts to set in from volume point 27 onwards. It is very minor at 27 and if you playing an original Audio CD like your topgear one, you can take it much higher, probably close to 90% of total volume before you can REALLY perceive a good amount of distortion.

The point is not that it can go up or not. Point is to find out the maximum level that the HU will manage whilel still giving out a clean signal.
(Gains are not important to be considered as clipping isnt tested on amplifier output. Rather HU output. In Gill's install, rear speakers are on HU. We tested on them. )

I'm sure your 6950 will also start clipping much before your 62volume level. Run a test tone to know more.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 27th October 2007 at 08:29.
Old 27th October 2007, 12:29   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
One is clipping in absolute terms. (Test tone CD will tell you that)
One is clipping in perceived terms. (Your ears will tell you that)
I think perception is more important than absolute.
Old 27th October 2007, 14:31   #147
BHPian

I shall be devoting some more time os reading over net for clipping and thd!!!I have still got some doubts!!!
more over can any one share some views on this:- if the front n rear are powered by two different amps but their gains are set in a proper way using DMM,will the sound be same as if all four channels are running on one amp!!Or there might be skewness in sound and no center stage,either it will be fron stage or rear stage!!!!

Cheers.
Old 28th October 2007, 00:17   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
@Gunbir,
The new range of energy series has different looks only or there are upgradation in products too? What about the prices and availability!!!!
Hi Gill

The new Energy series is an all new product. Many new features have been incorporated. Some of them:

- ESK component sets get the new ET20 Tetolon® Soft Dome tweeter as against the earlier HT18 metal dome.

- V-Cone technology used in the HERTZ Mille series midbass is trickled down to the Energy series.

- With the new EV 165L midbass, you have a high-excursion motor assembly to get powerful, solid bass from the front. The EV 165L goes lower than the EV 165.

- New CX200 crossover for the 2way sets.

- Pricing is close to the earlier series. Estimated retail of the new ESK165 is Rs 10K

- Availability in India around mid-end November.

BTW you can check out the new products on the HERTZ website. Also look under SPACE section for the new HERTZ HP amplifiers.

Cheers!

Last edited by gunbir : 28th October 2007 at 00:19.
Old 28th October 2007, 17:42   #149
BHPian

gunbir,

the pics of the energy speakers looks like animated. are they? when can we expect real pics? and whats audiocontrol BTW? it has been added to the bottom where there are links to other elletromedia group's websites.
Old 28th October 2007, 18:07   #150
BHPian

gunman,

I noticed another thing. The Energy sub woofers now have Foam Surround. Will it affect reliability? Foam surrounds are known to deteriorate in hot and humid climates.

Also, there is no mention of band pass enclosures in the specs now.

cheers
clip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks