Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2007, 00:51   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
The sub is rated at 100w-600w RMS,Which amp should i opt for a dedicated mono or 2 channel bridged?I look for options between 12k-15k for amp.The amp has to selected so that i can take a call for 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc. How about alpine MRD 1005 amp i am getting one used.
Sorry to pop in late. For whatever its worth. B&T had recommended a Panasonic 2 channel amp that puts out 400rms in bridged mode, and costs less than 9k! That's really cheap and reportedly works great!

Quote:
you have 284+284w to drive a 4ohm dvc. it is more than enough IMHO. why do you want to buy a sub amp when you have a very good amp? there is nothing wrong in using that amp(jbl gto 75.4)
@Clipto: Wouldnt a mono amp have better damping factor than a 75.4? Works in favor of a sub, right? Also most of the bigger monos are class D, which isnt full range and hence more efficient/ less heating. And third, a dedicated mono block also will be more stable at lower ohms.
Old 1st December 2007, 17:43   #197
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
That HU is in my car dude. :-) already bought it. But i don't know the price still. lol
clipto...whats your experience with this HU ? just asking from a SQ point of view. i just got this unit for my fusion and it sounds terrific ! planning to replace the old pio 5950 in my other car with this unit too. the USB feature is unbeatable !!
Old 4th December 2007, 22:05   #198
BHPian

In all probability, Gill now has an Evil grin Plastered all over his face right now.

I'll let him spill the beans of the "Small" upgrade ;-)

And Kudos to Clip for getting the job done the right way.
Old 5th December 2007, 03:58   #199
BHPian

hi guys,

i don't know what to write. im really in a shock as to what a head unit can do to the sound quality. out of this world is the only thing i can say.

yes, gill has finally got his alpine 9887 HU and an IDQ 15 D2V2(Dual 2 ohms voicw coils for those who dont know) installed.

the install went really smooth. first we went to the accessories market to hunt for a swift diesel's wiring harness adapter. it was a little surprising for me considering the standard here. we got the adapter. that means no cutting any wires and this really made my and gill's day.

Then we mounted the sub in the enclosure with reliance recron polyfill. next step was to install the HU. it was a littli tricky cause the HU was not sitting flush with the console. the trim ring wasn't fitting properly cause there was no space. we wanted to install the HU from the back and we finally did it. it didn't sit flush with the console and was inside the console a little but was flush with the storage bin. we screwed the HU to the stock metal jacket without using the alpine's jacket as it would not fit in. the HU is secured nicely and it will be really difficult to pull out from the front making it virtually theft proof.

next, we installed the sub. then, the time we were waiting for finally came and i started to tune the HU and the gains. i used the DMM method to set the gains. the are at a minimum(less than 10%)

the xos in the HU were set, defeat on and bang, the whole system came to life and in what style. even without TA, the integration was excellent. amazing HU i must say.

after this i started to Time Align the speakers with distance put in for the relevant channel. after listening to it with TA i got goose bumps. even with the sub playing at *80% of max i couldn't localize the sub. it was just beautiful. hard hitting, gut wrenching tight bass upfront . it was amazing. really. we were so happy that we were doing bhangra in no time. money well spent i must say. it was so good that i have finally decided to get the 9887 in a few days or it could be hours also. Tuning was done, everything working in perfect harmony, i just can't forget the smile on gill's face. it brought tears in my eyes. i can proudly say the the integration was the best i have ever heard.

now some details of what i noticed.

the idq is super smooth and tight. i would give 10 out of 10. i love the old school looks. the sealing foam with adhesive is well designed. the terminals were flimsy though.

the HU is beautiful. it has different colors for illumination to go with the rest of the car's instrument cluster's color. the HU is a breeze to use. clear fonts, nice screen and the xos are independent for every channel. then there is parametric equalizer, which, IMO is good. i don't think there's a need for the imprint kit as the hu has every thing one needs.

the only weak link in the chain is the 300w power cable kit. this amp needs 4g.

gill, IMHO bro, you dont need an amp now. your ice is perfect. earlier, the amp sounded quite harsh. now the harshness is reduced alot.

im feeling sleepy now, will uplosd the pics in a few min.

cheers

Last edited by clipto333 : 5th December 2007 at 04:04.
Old 5th December 2007, 04:44   #200
BHPian

ok, here are some pics. sorry for the wuality.

Old 5th December 2007, 10:24   #201
BHPian

Congrats Gill. Congrats Clip
Nice setup.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:34   #202
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gill, I know the iDQ15 well and its an amazing sub with insane top end whack. I knew you are going to like it. Enjoy!!!
Old 5th December 2007, 12:47   #203
BHPian

Congratulations on the HU and sub upgrade! Glad to see you're enjoying the ICE/music...
Old 5th December 2007, 12:54   #204
BHPian

Thanks friends for the wishes and big thanks your advice.
I am in hurry will post latter in detail.
all i can say is i am speechless and have no idea how to react.I am stunned,as i never thought that my car can sound like that.This upgrade has not sunk in yet.All i know is, i was about to cry when clip set the gain and played the track. I was jumpping around like a 5 yrs old baby.
Rest in evening in detail regarding the HU install and other things...
Cheers!! Got to go..

Last edited by Gill : 5th December 2007 at 12:56.
Old 5th December 2007, 13:03   #205
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Gill! Good to know you're happy [and that you're having body-fluid-moments ]. Both the additions are indeed body-fluid worthy, heh heh. Enjoyyyyyy!

(And BTW, I though somebody was concerned about losing boot-space. Once you listen to the setup, to hell be with boot-space huh?)

Good work, Clip When are you opening your ICE-Dhaba?
Old 5th December 2007, 13:27   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Hey! I like that..... "The ICE Dhaba"
Old 5th December 2007, 17:09   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Soon Hydra. Pretty soon. That is all we can divulge for now.
Hope all goes well. Touchwood.

@Gill --> Nice to you are happy with the Upgrade man. Now we are awaiting a FULL account in perfect detail from your side. :-)
Old 5th December 2007, 19:34   #208
BHPian

hi,

thanks hydra. will be opening soon. till then its samaj seva. lol. now i have also decided to get the 9887. i hope it is readily available. that HU is just few days away.

Nice name hydra 'the ice dhaba' lol

Gunbir, can you confirm if the 9887 is available? i would be great if it is.

what say ss "the ice dhaba" lol.
Old 5th December 2007, 19:54   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Gunbir, can you confirm if the 9887 is available? i would be great if it is.
It is... didn't you ask Rana?
Old 5th December 2007, 20:22   #210
Senior - BHPian

@ gunbir, SS, clip: *smiling modestly*

Looking forward to auditioning installs and enjoying butter chicken at the ICE Dhaba sometime [If I ever manage to [come that way sometime in the future].

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks