Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 13:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I was just trying to understand what you are doing.
DD, Hope this quote from another thread answers your question!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/383822-post25.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
In case you want a ELM 327 based scantool to try out / test with your baleno, send me a pm.
Hehe.. I had you in mind when I suggested to gigy that he try it out before he buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
Not to mention the inverter won't survive engine cranks and does not have a shutdown controller. A DC-DC PSU would be a better option.
shutdown controller means that DC-DC acts like a mini UPS, providing power for around 20 seconds after the ignition is turned off, so that the CarPC shuts down or hibernates safely. I don't think an inverter can do that.. pretty soon, all those instances when power was cut off abruptly (in case u forget to shut down the PC before turning the ignition off) will mean that you will have OS software issues (whether its XP or Linux), if not, god forbid, hardware issues.

Last edited by spadival : 21st December 2007 at 13:55.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam bhai, i those threads were my inspiration for trying to make this project.
spadival, i know it might run bit hot; its rated at 150w and designed as a closed box with aluminium body for heat dissipiation. since its a celeron 1.7 + motherboard and one cpu fan i dont think the load will exceed 80w. so hope both the smps(designed for 350w) and inverter will stay in limits. may be i will switch on the system in hot afternoons after the ac has cooled off cabin to reasonable levels.
dirtydan, no worries. i just like to screw up things. sometimes i helps me do things better sometimes my bank balance goes down. part of my hobby since childhood. i had a pc to throw out, but why create e waste when i can still use it in car for better things.
OBD was an important consideration since occasionally i get engine control light when i do 0-100 little faster with lpg. i know it is because of the lpg kit its throttle connections and lambda sensor. just in case some day i get that light due to some other serious problem and i continue, this will help me out., else it might end catastrophic if i continue to think if the fault is the normal one associated with lpg.
i will be carrying all media items (music and video) in pen drive. if i have to go for a dvd player capable of this a jvc ****700 will still cost 23000k. dvd and cd will still be required. all my cd and dvd goes bad after 6 months lying in the car.
i am not a software professional and i know very little about computers compared to professionals. i know little about electronics.
rest i learn with experience.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

sumit, i know about that risk, this hard disk of mine is 4-5 years old and make small noise while operating. didnt shock mount it fully due to lack of space, will go for mobile HD with 2.5 to 3.5 converter card once this fails.initial plan was to mount the whole cpu case on a foam padding but space restriction below the seat.once i get a slim case like the ofice ibm and hp pc will mount it in a good sponge base. once i go for a 2.5 hard disk the box can be made smaller also in case i dont manage readymade case.for the time i am not spending on the HD till it runs successfully.
one of my friend is geting linux software which is pen drive bootable. will try that also to see if i can remove HD forever. then a 4 gb pen drive will be more than enough.
shldn i will get in touch with you later after all is working fine.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

the inverter is going to be power directly from battery with a seperate fuse and switch. so cranking and shutdown should not be a issue. pc will have to be manually started and shut down.
startup shut down controller with 150w power rating of iride will cost 5500. may go for it later on.
Will try to link it to the beeper so that when key is removed i will be alerted. anyways i will be able to see that its not switched off before leaving.
6-32v is the input for inverter so should remain powered properly during cranks. it also shuts down in low battery condition.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
one of my friend is geting linux software which is pen drive bootable. will try that also to see if i can remove HD forever. then a 4 gb pen drive will be more than enough.
shldn i will get in touch with you later after all is working fine.
Good work gigy, but i have some thing for you :
  • What is the model of your motherboard , does it support booting via usb.
  • if your friend has a linux which boots from cd, then i have xp too.
i am a computer hardware engineer and going to be a networking to. i am here for your help always. please ask questions when you feel like.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
its rated at 150w and designed as a closed box with aluminium body for heat dissipiation. since its a celeron 1.7 + motherboard and one cpu fan i dont think the load will exceed 80w. so hope both the smps(designed for 350w) and inverter will stay in limits.
I think you might be cutting it fine taking into account the design and efficiency of the inverter and smps. I would consider underclocking the cpu a bit. Please use caution and let us know how it goes.
Old 21st December 2007, 17:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

its a zebronics motherboard ITX size 845GV with AGP slot. supports boot from all sources. has cpu overclocking facility; i dont know much about its settings. its running at 17X by default. i did try to change it to 15X but on reboot its still 17X. may be i dont know how to do it, so everything in auto mode as of now. had loaded windows media center edition 2005 and there was no problem in its functioning. only problem i had was tv tuner radio was not recognized by windows media center. this is not a media center edition tv tuner card. tried in banglore chennai and mumbai. so now on xp home edition.
if gps and OBD will work with linux then i will be happy to go open source.
I have ubuntu 7.1, knoppix, opensuse 10.3 but have not played around with those till now.
i thought will install the monitor today but the whole day went in installing the cpu and its connections to power , amplifier, receivers and fm antenna. antenna has come up through the B pillar and both ends i have routed to a pillar and c pillar. hope it will not be a issue in receiving the signals. headunit and sub are out as of now.
Old 21st December 2007, 23:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

few pictures of wiring completed.

turn on signal for amplifier is taken from fan of smps.
Old 22nd December 2007, 13:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

latest update. managed to get xp live usb bootable software. installed it in my pen drive and booted . looks like a xp setup for booting up crashed pc to repair it than one which will load other softwares. i could'nt figure it out. does anyone know if this can be used to load other softwares like tv tuner , gps and obd?

Old 23rd December 2007, 11:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have a spare inverter lying around .. cant use it anymore because my car no longer has a cig lighter . PM me your address.. I can courier it to you.
Old 23rd December 2007, 12:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the offer Spadival. i have bought the inverter few days back. the lcd display 7'' wide screen of necvox FD-7569(Rs5200) i bought yesterday is also mounted in dashboard. got a beige coloured one, so its going prety well with the center console. had to cout off the bottom plastic strip and trim the top a llittle to get it centered and keep AC controls clear. happy with its finish of installation.
cpu seems to have a problem and cant figure it out. works fine when re-tested in home but in car when inverter is powered up the cpu fan starts, and there is no video output, power led remains on. will work on it after a ew days due to house work. dont know if this has to do with isolation of dc ground and ac ground.
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
cpu seems to have a problem and cant figure it out. works fine when re-tested in home but in car when inverter is powered up the cpu fan starts, and there is no video output, power led remains on.
most likely a power related problem. your inverter may not have enough juice to power your setup. what gfx card are you running ?
Old 24th December 2007, 08:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

the display installed-
Old 25th December 2007, 11:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

wanted to post few things today but RTech's news has changed state of mind
Old 25th December 2007, 23:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

hi all,
finally got things working. the smps had blown of due some reason and that was the cause of earlier mentioned fault.
although all was fine , i will be making few changes to make project look and hear decent enough.
the inverter is working fine and also running cool but it is inducing noise into the audio which is being pisked up by amplifier. so a dc-dc converter in on next month budget.
changing the cabinet to zebronics dhoom since its the smallest one i could get. hhad to remove the tv connection from the tuner card to place it into the cabinet. the aluminium box was ok but was not having space beneth to keep a sponge cusion when it is below seat and the motherboard was bit shaky.
2.5'' HD is secommended and will change to it when the present one fails.
the pictures...

the resolution good for this screen is 800x600.
rest all functions satisfactory.
will install a volume control knob in one of the empty switch slots and route the fm antenna to the car antenna.

Last edited by gigy : 25th December 2007 at 23:51. Reason: one more picture

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks