Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2008, 13:59   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
are there any aftermarket ones available which can be direct replacement?; if so any idea of cost?
On second thoughts, get in touch with rdkarthik. He should be able to guide you on whether after market ECU is possible and whats the cost involved.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:30   #92
Senior - BHPian

went to the foreign post office yesterday to meet the customs guys. reached office by 1030am as per timing given in the letter. surprice: only peons and public could be seen around. by 1200 am the babus trickled inside. gave my letter, he looked out for the records then asked to wait. by 1300 it was lunch time, all public waiting were asked to come back after lunch by 1400. reached back by 1400 expecting better luck this time. the officer alloted to handle my item came back sharp 1530 after lunch, asked me to wait since he has to see all the papers in his hand by 1600 i was shown the face of my parcel and asked to wait. for the value nearing 4k i was told the duty will be 570. finally i was given the papers back and asked to meet another officer, she told if i want now pay octroi of 5% or collect it from local post office after two days. i said bye to all and left by 1630. will collect from post office after fwe days.
moral of experience:
if you have to collect a parcel from foreign post office, apply for one day leave, get all necessary documents asked in letter,reach by 1130 give the details , go for shopping, come back by 1600 identify your item and depending on wheather you want to pay octroi finish the deal.
Old 11th February 2008, 22:15   #93
BHPian

VIC Ltd-NAVISURFER,CAR COMPUTER, CAR PC, TAXI COMPUTER, POLICE COMPUTER, AMBULANCE COMPUTER, COURIER CAR COMPUTER, MARINE COMPUTER
Does this help
Old 12th February 2008, 20:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Since the vendor is in Finland, it would have helped if Santa Claus had gifted me one for christmas ..
Old 13th February 2008, 14:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

Finally the dc-dc board arrived yesterday afternoon and have finished installing it today. in the xcitement i forgot to take snaps of it out of box. it came with the p4 cable but had to make the 4pin one(had a old smps and new connector and pins ready). working fine till now.
sameer_dg
there are lot of companies in international market who have readymade car pc.some of them as small enough to fit inside our palm; direct in dash mountable;rack mountable; and remote mountable.the issue is of getting them here.
lets hope our ICE gurus like sam, low bass maker and gunbir start importing in bulk and we benefit. besides this was a DIY thread from stuff lying around.(even though i ended up buying many things )cheers:
Old 13th February 2008, 15:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

One has to marvel at your tenacity and perseverance, @gigy. Shabash, it is worth emulating.
Old 28th February 2008, 02:35   #97
BHPian

@Gigy : I can understand the frustration you went through the customs guys, I had faced the same issue while doing my Car PC setup. Finally ended up buying some parts from iRide. Good luck in your project. Now I am in USA and most of the time some of my co-workers and friends keep travelling from India to US and US to India. If you want I can buy any items here and send through them. Don’t forgot to pay me

@Spadival : I had bought a ELM 327 OBD adapter and it supports both ISO and CAN protocol. But I could not make it work with my Baleno. I spent around a month doing research how to make it work, but could not succeed. Finally I gave up and returned the device.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

sys_whiz, At least u were able to return the OBD adaptor. There are a few here who bought stuff like Scanguage etc and later found it doesnt work. I am still continuing my research on the Denso ECU (Probably different because yours is a 2006 BS III Baleno).. but not very hopefull because I probably am going overseas in some time.
Old 28th February 2008, 20:54   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
sys_whiz, At least u were able to return the OBD adaptor. There are a few here who bought stuff like Scanguage etc and later found it doesnt work. I am still continuing my research on the Denso ECU (Probably different because yours is a 2006 BS III Baleno).. but not very hopefull because I probably am going overseas in some time.
Good Luck in your research....If you find any info, please post it. You know I even tried to modify the PIDs of of some of the OBD SW, but no luck. Now a days I am very far of my car and can't do any research. Once I am back in India, I will try.
Old 1st March 2008, 22:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

sys_whiz, thanks for the offer. will get in touch with you if i need help. as of now the car pc is working fine. couldn't make OBD work due to car being baleno. now i am busy with my exams for a month. later will think about upgrading to core2duo and a motherboard which has two independent vga outs to make the setup multizone. a indash motorized or non motorized touch screen with vga input is also on the list of next buy. there was one of thermaltake brand. in case you find something there for your setup let me also know about it.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

hi all,
today roaming around the croma outlet in banglore i picked up a logitech wireless (2.4g) number pad for 2199. it was available for 45$ outside but didn't manage to get it through my friend who visited there last, so just bought this one here. never visited croma in mumbai till now. will have to intergate this into the steering to that i can have almost all the controls without taking hands off like menu, volume, bass, treble, track etc. the front was flat but once i opened it later found the battery compartment sticking out.
Old 17th April 2008, 09:44   #102
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday on my pune trip carputer was behaving weired and gps and mini numerical pad would not connect. so did a few hard reset. during the process the display was coming in two half, so few more resets and there it became a dead machine. no video, no audio, no beep codes. the whole trip was without the carputer. i had wanted it to cross check the speedometer for actual speed and also navigate to the pune address. on lpg she was refusing to go above 165-168,lucky didnt have any engine control light this time.
so now its time to upgrade. can anyone suggest a ITX motherboard(intel processor) with dual vga output? mATX boards are there but i will have to relocate the hard disk to accommodate it.
the picture before discarding -
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-hpim0003.jpg  

Old 17th April 2008, 13:39   #103
BHPian

Discarding? You are throwing away the whole thing? Can it not be repaired?
Old 17th April 2008, 15:15   #104
BANNED

cud'nt you able to find the cause of mobo being dead?
Old 17th April 2008, 18:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

i am not discarding the whole thing, only the motherboard and processor. honestly i dont have free time now a days due my exams and baby. so cant do much research on new motherboards.
for my level of knowledge i isolated everything and used home smps and monitor to power up the motherboard ,cpu combo. there is no response except the cpu fan. dont have a spare celeron or p4 to swap and see. if i have to change the motherboard will prefer a dual vga one now.

Most Viewed