Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:02   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Isn't a too big MB for a carputer.... I understand upgrability is a surge for what a techie always look for, but i seriously doubt this carputer will last long. That too with a 3.5" hdd.... :(

OT: Is it me or even others can't locate RAM ?? (Refer 1st Pic)

Hey Divx,
You can find the RAM just to the left of the CPU+Fan.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
yes, this motherboard has a parallel port. it also supports boot from usb.
wanted to know if bios password is enabled, will usb ports get power before it or after it.
i just feel the hardware way will be more reliable than software to enable start circuit.
any idea of the price and availability of stock ECU, just in case. in the worst case will have to go to kartik

I have a KB and mouse cordless, which uses USB module , and I can type in the Password for Bios , so I think the USB gets power when the MB turned ON.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

pictures are only for reference for harjeev to have an idea of locations possible in safari. dont know how long the 3.5 hard disk lasted in that setup or is it going strong still. one of our member is using 3.5 drive without problem.i think i can see the two sticks of ram in first picture.looks like a microATX board.
Anyways why should carputers be powerless, the limiting factor presently is only the power supply. i have seen upto 220watts available. if you can do it go for a high definition setup with 5.1 speakers. safari looks like has lot of potential for this. rest is as per actual requirement. try using single hard disk, power fans directly form car power supply.use number of usb ports as per requirement.mini ITX boards for core2duo are also there with lot of features.

Thanks dinar, will look out for some other way to do it, may be use parallel port. i am having serious mechanical problems with engine, let me sort it out(expecting a huge bill for the repairs)

Last edited by gigy : 22nd May 2008 at 16:47.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

@Shldn Gigy Thanks for you reply

I am still not able to decide on the motherboard. Please execuse me for the long post and thanks for your patience.

I totally agree with Shldn that the 965 M/b will demand more power and with give more heat and at the same time I don’t have to run any serious applications to run.

What basically I need is Music, Videos, GPS s/w and On Board Digonastics for my car, occasional internet surfing using GPRS on my cell phone and/or any other application that would be possible in the car.

How I would execute all of this I don’t have the faintest idea and I would definitely be needing a lot of help from you guys. I don’t know what car navigation s/w to use, don’t know how to connect the car speaker systems to the PC, what maps, etc I am totally totally clueless,
But I just need it!

I think that I can go with the D201GLY2 M/b initially with 1GB RAM and the max HDD that I can find. I will most probably start with this config initially, get the hang of it for about a couple of years and then, if I feel the need for a more powerful system, I could shift this in my other car and assemble a new system for the Safari.

OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
If however you still require the processing power, consider a mobile core Duo/ Core 2 Duo instead. The TDP is around 35W max in this case and you can also use a mini-ITX board such as Jetway J9F2 series for a small footprint.
Do you think that cabinet for the above M/b are easily available in the market or I would have to source the quadrant fx enclosure supplied by iRIDE from Mumbai?

The form factor is the same as the DG201GLY & GLY2A. So I think that fitting it wouldn’t be an issue. Please advise?

As this M/b supports upto Code2Duo & 2GB of RAM, would the DC2DC power supply, once again supplied by iRIDE, be compatible with this motherboard. If yes I think that I would go in for this M/b and a mobile core2duo processor with 2GB of RAM

After giving thought to the above I think that my first preference would be the Jetway J9F2 with Mobile Core2Duo and the second preference would be the Intel DG201GLY2A with Celeron. Though, if I go with my heart I want the first option.
Quote:
i have not seen internals of safari, so can you let me know how much space is there between the side panels around the third row of seats. if you have plastic trims there open and see if you can place a microATX board there on a MDF board.you will not require a cabinet then.
Wouldn’t putting the M/b on a MDF be unsafe for the M/b. Though it is a wonderful idea, how will the fans, powersupply, and all other components be mounted.

But still I like this idea too. But just worried about the safety of the system from dust etc.

Quote:
if there is more space a iball baby(Rs1500approx) can also be used.
By the iBall are you referring to this cabinet.
iBall – Your eyeball view. Our technology new.

If yes I will note the dimensions and see where can I fit this in my car. I think that there is enough space below the front passenger seat, but still have to see. But in any case there is ample space in the boot(the safari is like a room), But putting the cabinet there would involve a lot of cable laying, etc.

Alternatively there is space near the leg space of the front passenger seat, under the glove box. I think that the cabinet can be mounted there too. Will try to post pics about the space I am talking, later on.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by harjeev : 22nd May 2008 at 17:42.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:46   #140
Senior - BHPian

iride has readymade cpu in box with 80gb hard disk, 1gb ram and power supply if i am not wrong. its a good one to start with and comes for 14k. you will have to decide on the display and interface with music system only. gps antenna + software extra.internet browsing in the small display is a pain.
if you are going for microATX board or ITX board zoom from zebronics is better. i will recommend buying normal amplifier case like mine for Rs150. sure you can make few precise holes to fix board in it. if you get the jetway mini ITX board then IRIDE case should do. get the dimensions and talk to iride guys.
one more option is get a laptop motherboard itself or old laptop and modify suitably

board like asus P5S-MX SE, P5N MX or BioStar GF7050V-M7 or Palit N73V or Intel DG31PR(size9.6x7.2'') support core2duo and come for less than 3k

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th May 2008 at 12:38.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:47   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
Do you think that cabinet for the above M/b are easily available in the market ........ that fitting it wouldn’t be an issue. Please advise?
Mini-ITX cabinets are a little hard to come by locally. The Quadrant-Fx will accomodate the board as the form factor is the same. You will need to check the height of the cpu heatsink and use a low profile one if needed.

Quote:
As this M/b supports upto Code2Duo & 2GB of RAM, would the DC2DC power supply, once again supplied by iRIDE, be compatible with this motherboard.
Yes, it should be compaitable. However you should look up the cpu specs & check with a power consumption calculator such as this one to be sure.

Quote:
If yes I think that I would go in for this M/b and a mobile core2duo processor with 2GB of RAM
The Jetway is a good board, however some users have reported problems with it. Be sure to research properly and ensure that your vendor can offer support in case there is a problem. There are many similar boards like this one available.

Quote:
Though, if I go with my heart I want the first option.
What is your first option again ? Sorry, your post was a little confusing.

Quote:
Wouldn’t putting the M/b on a MDF be unsafe for the M/b. Though it is a wonderful idea, how will the fans, powersupply, and all other components be mounted.
Should be fine if done properly. You should use standoffs and spacers like these,The CarPC / Carputer Thread-img_6805.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
board like asus P5S-MX SE, P5N MX or BioStar GF7050V-M7 or Palit N73V or Intel DG31PR(size9.6x7.2'') support core2duo and come for less than 3k
I haven't looked these up, but i'm not sure these support the mobile core2duo processors.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

@shldn
Thanks for the info

My 1st option is to use the jetway M/b with Mobile Core2Duo and 2GB of RAM.

The 2nd option is to use the Intel DG201GLY2A M/b with Celeron processor and 1GB of RAM.

I have told my H/w vendor to inquire about the availability of the Jetway M/b and a Mobile Core2Duo processor. After I get the M/b & the processor, I think from there on I will start planning the rest of the system.

What do you say...
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:19   #143
BHPian

Sounds good, keep us posted.
Old 23rd May 2008, 22:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

those board i said are not for mobile core2duo.
did you check out new amd 45w cpus? amd have good motherboards with better graphics, microATX boards.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:28   #145
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, you really dont need powerfull CPU's with even more powerfull Graphics card. I have been running Google Earth, Front end and DVD simultaneously without any issues. All of these are CPU intensive and graphics intensive programs.

Of course, I dont have Vista bloatware on my CarPC. Just Windows XP.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:25   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hi

After almost 10 days of sleepless nights/ Searchinng, Reading, posting etc etc and with lots of everyones help and special help from Sheldon I have finalised the configuration for my Car PC.

I would be assembling the following
Quadrant-Fx CarPC Enclosure (Iride)
IRV-070SE Touchscreen Monitor (Iride)
Motherboard & CPU Intel D201GLY2A with Celeron 1.2Ghz (Iride)
SB-160D DC-DC Automotive Power Supply(Iride)
GPS Receiver (this would be either Iride's PS 648 USB ) or SatGuides Product Details::. I am not able to decide between the two, therefore have posted on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post844688

1 GB DDR2 RAM (local vendor)
160/320 GB SATA HDD (local vendor)

Everything would be going into my Tata Safari 2.2 DiCOR (which I think would be a 1st on T-BHP).
I also plan to do away with the Cars Head Unit and control everything with the Car PC. Here again I would be requiring support from you all. I dont have the faintest idea how to go about.

Though I have a spare P-IV 2.8 Ghz CPU and 845 chipset M/b I decided against it as it would be too much for a CAR PC.
Also I had trouble matching the power supply. P4 consumes about 70 Watts and that leaves very little margin for the rest of the equipment like HDD/ USB equipment and the power supply(160D) give about (12VDC * 8A)=84W max.
I calculated with this method http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emporium/68636-faq-will-insert-psu-model-power-supply-work-my-system.html
(i hope I am right).

this is where I plan to install the screen.
Any Suggestions/ Comments??
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-modifications.jpg  

Old 28th May 2008, 06:26   #147
Senior - BHPian

1st location is more easier to work with, although you can take it it to professionals in case 2 is prefered.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

1st option doesnt look very promising. Its seems too low and the gear knob will come in the way, especially since you are using a touch screen.

I suggest you get a spare centre console and do the mods. Get in touch with Team-BHP - View Profile: ankur, who has done similar mods on his Innova.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

@gigy
@spavidal

I have asked for advise from Ankur. I too am more interested in the 2nd location, but don't know how to go about the modification front.
Lets wait and see
Old 28th May 2008, 11:54   #150
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,
Its really nice to see more and more people jumping onto the carpc bandwagon, i dont look like an idiot now .

As far as central console is concerned, i made it myself so i wont be able to recommend a modification vendor. For the actual installation i have faith only in the Gunbir/JB duo (i am not associated with them in any way) , you may ask them if they can do the console modification, they do a good job with custom work. As mentioned earlier, i did all my customization using spare parts and not my actual car console, then i just replaced the modified parts with the ones in my car. I still have the original parts that i can put back for a back to the factory look.

For your console i strongly suggest you use option 1, option 2 will be a nightmare to shift all the controls down. That said, open up the console and see how much extra wiring you have to play with and if it will allow moving to the spot below. I would not advise you to make extensions and use those, i dont see them lasting long.

Lastly i would VERY strongly advise you dont skimp on the wiring and power requirements.

I am here if you need any more pointers.

cheers.

Last edited by ankur : 28th May 2008 at 11:56.

Most Viewed