Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 20:28   #271
BHPian

A good setup.....

Hi,

While gathering info on carputer, i came across this setup in mp3.com forum, a LCD on steering wheel, really a good setup........

touchscreen steering wheel Carputer. - MP3Car.com
Old 12th January 2009, 11:02   #272
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, I am feeling the need of steering integrated controls of my carputer now as its more convenient in quick change of volume and tracks and switching between navigation and music.
Planned to use my wireless numeric pad which was put on sale few days back but withdrawn as this idea suddenly came in. Its practically functional. What i want is to mount switches on steering. Before doing cut and paste on original baleno steering wheel, can a swift or sx4 steering with intergated controls go on the baleno steering shaft. anybody having a idea of how much it will cost? what is the kind of switches used in it (i presume they are membrane type)? i will be tapping into the switch connections directly , so how it is connected dosen't matter. Is there space inside the steering to accommodate a 10cm x 15cm x 1cm module.
Any help or suppport will be highly appreciated.
Old 18th January 2009, 18:20   #273
Senior - BHPian

i suppose nobody would know if the steering are interchangeable. anyways i have decided to use the baleno one itself as i can have lot more switch options than what is on sx4 or swift steering wheel.
Old 18th January 2009, 21:02   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
i suppose nobody would know if the steering are interchangeable. anyways i have decided to use the baleno one itself as i can have lot more switch options than what is on sx4 or swift steering wheel.
well, i think you can SX4's steering wheel on the baleno, because the aftermarket steering wheels are universal so this should also can be installed. or you can aske some MASS or some good mechanic.

or build a IR receiver like mine and it works with pioneer steering wheel remote. this will cost you around Rs.20-30 + pioneer remote around Rs. 700. i am running this setup for months now and have no issues, and works like charm. i will help you with this or you can ask for help with our other teambhpian who has IR woring with his carputer in his safari, i can remember the name.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:44   #275
Senior - BHPian

Can you post a picture of the pioneer remote and where have you mounted the IR receiver?

I have a logitech 2.4ghz numeric pad whose keys are configurable with CF. Issue is to make the switch setup neatly. my baleno being older model has 4 spoke steering, so there is ample space inside it.

Aftermarket steering wheels are universal but they need car specific 'BOSS'. the adapter which matches the gear teeth, so they are not interchangeable across various car brands. Don't know MASS guys to find if they are interchangeable in maruti.

Last edited by gigy : 19th January 2009 at 15:58.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:16   #276
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to go 5.1 to check how time alignment can be achieved.
Please advice on center speaker availability i India and its price.
Dose center channel work when music is played in 5.1 setup?
Old 19th January 2009, 22:50   #277
Senior - BHPian

Opened the logitech number pad today to have a look at it internals. i will have to sharpen my soldering skills a bit but hope i can wire out few switches from it to steering. The pcb is small enough for use. Antenna is embedded in it. will use 'AA' batteries instead of 'AAA' to get more battery life.
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-pic_0101.jpg  

The CarPC / Carputer Thread-pic_0104.jpg  

Old 19th January 2009, 22:53   #278
BANNED

Quote:
I have decided to go 5.1 to check how time alignment can be achieved.
Please advice on center speaker availability i India and its price.
Dose center channel work when music is played in 5.1 setup?
well even i am planing to go for a PCI sound card now. as i will use PCI flexible extension. BTW what sound card have you decided?

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the pioneer remote and where have you mounted the IR receiver?
here is the pic of the remote i am using and the IR is located behide the steering wheel. this is the best pic avalible currently.
and for the center speaker ive heard of blaupunkt center speaker for not more than Rs. 3000, i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-61.jpg  

The CarPC / Carputer Thread-remote.jpg  

Last edited by monty9991 : 19th January 2009 at 23:00.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:00   #279
Senior - BHPian

I am will be using the onboard 'Realtek ALC883 8-Channel Azalia HD Audio'. Quite happy with its stereo output quality.
Where did you get the flexi pci and for how much? have you decided on the sound card?
i have seen only pioneer center speaker till now costing about 5k. have one in friends car. if it dosent work in normal music playback i am thinking of using something cheaper.
will look at blaupunk

Last edited by gigy : 19th January 2009 at 23:07.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:45   #280
BANNED

well i found Flexible Single Slot PCI Riser Card on ebay. its for about Rs.1000 there. i am looking if i can find it in india. heres the pic attached. and for the sound card i am looking at Creative Audigy Sound Blaster 24bit.
i quit on looking at USB sounbd cards as many of them have problem in hibernating. so ill go for pci slot sound card along with the flexible riser.
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-pci.jpg  

Old 20th January 2009, 15:05   #281
BHPian

monty. Please Guide me how can I use this PCI Raiser card ? Installation ? I dont see any space in my enclosure.
People are reporting Hibernation issues with Creative X-FI. but still USB is very convenient. I am yet to finalized this Sound card though.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:52   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Opened the logitech number pad today to have a look at it internals. i will have to sharpen my soldering skills a bit but hope i can wire out few switches from it to steering. ...
Careful! That is a resistive matrix that you have there - not really suitable for wiring switches in parallel. You will land up confusing the encoder / mux.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:06   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
monty. Please Guide me how can I use this PCI Raiser card ? Installation ? I dont see any space in my enclosure.
People are reporting Hibernation issues with Creative X-FI. but still USB is very convenient. I am yet to finalized this Sound card though.
this is easy, all you have to do is use one end for the PCI slot on your mother board and other on your sound card. its just like extension.
but i am unable to find it here in india. let me know whne you find it from some computer vendors.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:42   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Careful! That is a resistive matrix that you have there - not really suitable for wiring switches in parallel. You will land up confusing the encoder / mux.
I will not be using the resistive matrix. Wires will come out of pcb itself. Had a look at the resistive matrix and i see its a 9x3 combination giving possibility of 27 switch options. Rest i should come to know when i actually wire it up.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:42   #285
Senior - BHPian

some updates on my diy.
got finolex 35mm cable for the amplifier and big three upgrade.
Since i could not get a channel rca with 3.5 headphone on one side and rca on other, bought a shielded cable and the pins. lot of soldering to be done today.
got few momentary on switches also for the steering to complete the long pending project of steering integrated controls

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks