Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 15:51   #361
Senior - BHPian

Sdh, thanks for the link to connectors.

Some news regarding zotac ion board. dual core ones are still to come.

AnandTech: Zotac's Ion: The Follow Up
Old 25th May 2009, 16:06   #362
BHPian

MOtherboard with 12VDC power supply

Guys,

There's a new motherboard from Intel which has got an integrated12V DC power supply socket for external power sources. Below is the link where you can get the brief details of the motherboard.

Seems to be best bet for Car PC project. Don't know the cost though.

What I think is, even if it costly than a regular ITX board embedded with ATOM processor, it will still be cheap considering the cost of the 12V DC-DC power supply, that we are required to buy for the power supply through car battery.

Pls. post your views.

Intel Desktop Board D945GSEJT - Overview

Regards,

Rahul K
Attached Thumbnails
The CarPC / Carputer Thread-intel_d945gsejt_mb.jpg  

Old 26th May 2009, 01:21   #363
BHPian

seems good for car use,
few things worth pointing in first look are
7 USB ports, Digital displays (DVI-D) and 12v power supply, seems like made for India, as a large number of computers in India live on backup power-supply :-)

Do you have a price quote for this ?
Old 26th May 2009, 05:12   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it will still be cheap considering the cost of the 12V DC-DC power supply, that we are required to buy for the power supply through car battery.

Regards,

Rahul K
But does it smooth out the power supply? Car battery voltage keeps fluctuating between 12v and 13v. Also dc-dc unit provides automatic start up and shut down on ignition, shut down on low voltage etc.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:49   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
... even if it costly than a regular ITX board embedded with ATOM processor, it will still be cheap considering the cost of the 12V DC-DC power supply, that we are required to buy for the power supply through car battery. ...
The cost remains to be seen - if only Intel is bringing this board into India retail. But your logic is correct, Rahul. This is also a regular ITX mobo, with a slightly cooler single-core Atom CPU. From a prelim scan couldn't figure out other differences between the Atom 270 on this one with the regular Atom 230.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
But does it smooth out the power supply? Car battery voltage keeps fluctuating between 12v and 13v. Also dc-dc unit provides automatic start up and shut down on ignition, shut down on low voltage etc.
Surprisingly, none of the Intel documents for this board mention Input Voltage tolerances/range! Considering that both the typical external DC-DC converters and the internal one on board are switching type, it is expected to take care of the 11-14V in the car.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:39   #366
sdh
BHPian

I read somewhere that you need regulated 12v supply for this board.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:11   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
I read somewhere that you need regulated 12v supply for this board.
I agree. Read it same on Mp3car. Motherboard would shutoff if voltages fluctuates.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:20   #368
Senior - BHPian

I doubt this board can survive engine cranks, when battery is like at 8volts.
Old 27th May 2009, 13:00   #369
BHPian

Guys,

Yes, this motherboard does need a regulated 12V power supply or else it would shut down abruptly. But if someone can get the 12V DC supply with regulators, it would serve the purpose.

I have come across one more CPU solution for Car or even home use. A CPU which can be installed on the back on LCD monitor, not a 7" though..

The size of the CPU is the size of a regular ball pen, like cello, hardly 7-8" and it can possibly fit in the single din on the dash.

The CPU is VIA 800 Mhz Eden (equiv of Pentium III 1.3 Ghz) Fanless CPU with 1 GB Ram and 80 GB hdd. The dealer is a bulk dealer and he had given me the costing per piece. Its 13K. The costing might come down, if some TBHPians staying in mumbai and wanting a Car PC, come together and place a bulk order. The costing also includes Low Power +5V, 20 Watt AC Adapter.

see the details on the below link.
Kiosk/ATM Peripherals & Components

In this link, Ram is mentioned as 256 MB standard. but its 1 Gb with 80 Gb Hdd. this is in the quote which I have received from them. They also has a 7" LCD touchscreen and the price given by him for single unit is 11K.

This dealer is mainly into touchscreen applications and can even convert your existing home LCD into a touchscreen..!!!

Warm Regards,

Rahul K
Old 27th May 2009, 15:27   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
... Motherboard would shutoff if voltages fluctuates.
We are talking of the 12V INPUT line here, not the +5V and +3.5V at the output of the DC-DC converter (power supply). Unless there is monitoring and control implemented, the board will 'misbehave' if the OUTPUT voltages fluctuate. A good DC-DC converter is *meant* to regulate these voltages even if the 12V line fluctuates (within limits).

In the absence of published data on the input tolerance of the onboard DC-DC converter, of course one expects speculative discussion. IMHO the situation need not be that bad as it is made out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
I doubt this board can survive engine cranks, when battery is like at 8volts.
If your battery is going down to 8V on cranking, it is a sure sign of a battery going kaput. It should be 9.6V or more.

DC-DC converters in ECUs are supposed to give correct regulated output even if battery line voltage goes down to ~7.5V. We just have to either ensure that the DC-DC converters are able to regulate under such conditions, or use a backup battery to tide over the cranking phase.

Quote:
... Yes, this motherboard does need a regulated 12V power supply or else it would shut down abruptly ...
I doubt it - that would be an overkill.

Quote:
The dealer is a bulk dealer and he had given me the costing per piece. Its 13K. The costing might come down, if some TBHPians staying in mumbai and wanting a Car PC, ...
Is this a finished piece incl. cabinet and all? Just the board (with 512MB RAM) and the PSU might be cheaper from VIA India, incl. tech support!
Old 27th May 2009, 16:36   #371
BHPian

DerAlte,

Yes, If you have seen the link and seen the mini-PC you can come to know about its features and the small size. In fact the 13K price includes, two cabinets as they have mentioned.
(Small Size: 17 x 12.4 x 3.8cm (flash) or 17 x 12.4 x 5.8cm (flash or 2.5 in. disk) Includes case, board, CPU, AC adapter. Two case sizes - Thick for 2.5" Disk or 44pin IDE Flash or Thin for only 44pin IDE Flash.
VIA 800Mhz Fanless Eden Nano CPU, IDE, VGA, Lan, USB 2.0, DDR Ram, Serial, PS2,
Low Power +5V, 20 Watt AC Adapter, Audio, Mpeg-2, FCC, CE.

Fast Performance: VIA 800 Mhz Nano CPU + fast CLE266 = Pentium III 1.3 Ghz CPU)

The quote that I have received says its 1 GB DDR RAM and 80 GB HDD. what remains apart from this is a touchscreen and a compact keyboard with inbuilt mouse which is also there on this site.

Check the below link.

There's also a compact Mini-ITX PC in the offering.Check out

Regards,

Rahul K
Old 29th May 2009, 16:18   #372
Senior - BHPian

Looks like i am having battery problems. the other day it was completely dead. had to remove it to recharge all day at home. now its holding good(midway between 8v and 12v). Don't know if the working on carpc a day before caused it or some other issue.

Picked a 7'' lcd tv from alfa for 2850 to check dual display.
Please provide your inputs on how do i convert DVI-D to VGA or direct tv out?

Last edited by gigy : 29th May 2009 at 16:22.
Old 1st July 2009, 22:34   #373
Senior - BHPian

For guys in mumbai interested in ion based mini itx motherboard for carputer have a look at these boards.
Panache

Last edited by gigy : 1st July 2009 at 22:36.
Old 1st July 2009, 23:31   #374
BHPian

Thanx Gigy. For the link. will talk to them tomorrow.
I am looking forward to this particular model.
Panache
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:05   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Thanx Gigy. For the link. will talk to them tomorrow.
I am looking forward to this particular model.
Panache
Sorry to interfere but pricing on this website seems to be bit HIGH.
the board here is having Price of Rs.5460

which i Bought for Rs.3300/- from Intel Authorized Dealer, a week back itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks