Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 19:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
a 2.5inch laptop hdd in a USB enclosure will work perfect with the 5050.
@whatcanthisbe - have you tried this yourself? is the HDD full of mp3s only or there are other assorted files also in there?
Old 16th April 2008, 19:20   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It did not work with Laptop HDD and a Chinese no-brand MP3 player I tried. Tested it at a dealer's place.

Same HU worked just fine with USB Key.
How did you have the folders organize3d and what was the format of the HDD. Mine works ... it's an 80 GB Laptop HDD with root and folders as playlists and no sub folders. I have 20 folders on the HDD
Old 16th April 2008, 19:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@whatcanthisbe - have you tried this yourself? is the HDD full of mp3s only or there are other assorted files also in there?
only mp3's on the HDD, 20 Folders in the root, no subfolders
Old 16th April 2008, 19:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
only mp3's on the HDD, 20 Folders in the root, no subfolders
Partition(s)?
Formatting? - FAT 16/32? NTFS?
MP3s in VBR or CBR?
Old 16th April 2008, 19:31   #95
BHPian

No partitions, FAT 32 i think but will need to check as for the last Question I have no idea what that means.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:40   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No partitions, FAT 32 i think but will need to check as for the last Question I have no idea what that means.
VBR = Variable Bit Rate
CBR = Constant Bit Rate

Refers to the encoding/ripping of the MP3s from the source audio

Please check this also and report

If positive, then I might have to forego my movie collection (40+ DVD Rips) on my portable HDD in favor of music for car
Old 16th April 2008, 19:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you have the folders organize3d and what was the format of the HDD. Mine works ... it's an 80 GB Laptop HDD with root and folders as playlists and no sub folders. I have 20 folders on the HDD
Primary partition is FAT32, and it has 2 NTFS ones. Its a regular HDD full of files/folders everywhere.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:17   #98
BHPian

The Primary partition would be the one where your songs reside as its the FAT32 partition. I doubt if NTFS would be supported with the HU. Just let us know if the songs are on the one that is Fat32.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:24   #99
BHPian

Beware: Not just any laptop hdd works with HUs. You need to find one that uses low power (300mA IIRC), or otherwise you would have to get an adapter and power the external enclosure via cigarette lighter. (Even then it's not a guarantee AFAIK).
Old 18th April 2008, 18:44   #100

Quote:
a 2.5inch laptop hdd in a USB enclosure will work perfect with the 5050.
thanks whatcanthisbe, I understand that if the HDD is given sufficient power from the USB out of the HU, it should work as rightly pointed by vebmetal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Beware: Not just any laptop hdd works with HUs. You need to find one that uses low power (300mA IIRC), or otherwise you would have to get an adapter and power the external enclosure via cigarette lighter. (Even then it's not a guarantee AFAIK).
vebmetal, thanks for the pointer. I have a Maxtor Basics 80G portable one and what get me stuck was when I plug this one to the Front USB out of my desk PC it does not get driven enough Amps. But the same works fine with the direct port extension at the rear of the same PC. The same works good with my lappy.. having seen many a USB stuff not being driven enough with the USB ports (well including the extended USB ports).. I was quite disappointed/ concerned over the feasibility. I could not catch hold of 5050HU spec nor Maxtor spec to get better idea. Any one has any such information, I mean any spec on 5050HU in particular.

I would prefer not to have too many cables running around/ across in the cabin with power from cigrette lighter.
Old 18th April 2008, 19:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeks View Post
thanks whatcanthisbe, I understand that if the HDD is given sufficient power from the USB out of the HU, it should work as rightly pointed by vebmetal.

vebmetal, thanks for the pointer. I have a Maxtor Basics 80G portable one and what get me stuck was when I plug this one to the Front USB out of my desk PC it does not get driven enough Amps. But the same works fine with the direct port extension at the rear of the same PC. The same works good with my lappy.. having seen many a USB stuff not being driven enough with the USB ports (well including the extended USB ports).. I was quite disappointed/ concerned over the feasibility. I could not catch hold of 5050HU spec nor Maxtor spec to get better idea. Any one has any such information, I mean any spec on 5050HU in particular.

I would prefer not to have too many cables running around/ across in the cabin with power from cigrette lighter.
Underpowering from the PC might happen if it is running off "USB hub" as opposed to "USB port". I have faced the same problem with my external HDD
Old 24th April 2008, 15:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Is there a pioneer 7050 ?
Old 24th April 2008, 16:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I dont think so . There was a Pio 7950 but i think thats phased out.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Why do you ask that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I dont think so . There was a Pio 7950 but i think thats phased out.
Yes, it was DEH-7650P and DEH-7950P. Both have been phased out quiet some time back. In their place, the 2950/3950/4950/5950/6950 series were launched. Now, to replace this series, the 2050/3050/4050/5050/6050 series have been introduced.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 24th April 2008 at 16:27.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
The Primary partition would be the one where your songs reside as its the FAT32 partition. I doubt if NTFS would be supported with the HU. Just let us know if the songs are on the one that is Fat32.
no, the NTFS format is not supported by the pio hu's... it has to be FAT 16 or 32..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks