Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2006, 23:15   #4081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
But wouldnt this mean that if i pushed the amp real high it would blow/burn/damage the speaker ??
the main cause of speaker damage is when one pushs the amp to it max thus cliping and damaging the speaker.....but when a higher power amp will powered up there will be little clip thus saving the speaker and one more thing music is not a continous thing like a sine wave it has peaks in it so the amp would not be operating at 125 watts continously.....
Old 6th August 2006, 23:35   #4082
BHPian

Thanks LBT read up some data on clipping and its makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 6th August 2006, 23:41   #4083
Senior - BHPian

yaar i am not LBT i am LBM yaar........lol
Old 6th August 2006, 23:52   #4084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
yaar i am not LBT i am LBM yaar........lol
Oooopppss... so very sorry LBM.. see what all this ICE research is doing to me.. I better make up my mind soon on this.. I have got just 3 hours of sleep since yesterday.. been researching on speakers, amps, woofers,.. etc..

Once again real sorry about this
Old 6th August 2006, 23:57   #4085
Senior - BHPian

oh ho no problem yaar.........just get ur ICE and do tell me how it sounded.....with pics ........
Old 7th August 2006, 00:12   #4086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
Is that an ice term?If so then i didnt understand.
BInz... What I think JK meant was that if you drive then the better speakers need to be in the front...
Old 7th August 2006, 00:20   #4087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....LBT.....
Lol this is not the only thread where you have been re-christened!!...Did we miss something... Is this official ????
Old 7th August 2006, 00:24   #4088
Senior - BHPian

nothing yaar just a new name like krissh potato somethig and what not

kb yaar i dont care about these type of silly things......

So some thing to get offical I would have to talk with my forum made partner B&T....lol
Old 7th August 2006, 00:35   #4089
Senior - BHPian

ha ha ha... sir your Iridum update pls... with pics....
Old 7th August 2006, 13:32   #4090
BHPian

Hey guys.. was going thru the Infinity website and noticed that there are two Kappa series.. one is the plain Kappa series and the other is Kappa Perfect series. some differences I noticed between the 2 were:
- Perfect series is more expensive
- Perfect series has higher power ratings.
- Perfect series has lower sensitivity ratings
- Perfect series is a 4 Ohm load while normal is 2 Ohm load
- Perfect has a Freq range of 75Hz to 23KHz while the normal has 45Hz to 25KHz

So which one is better ? and how do the last 3 points reflect on SQ.
Old 7th August 2006, 16:37   #4091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks
I have a query.. in many threads i noticed the recommendation generally for people on a budget to use the best amp for the fronts and the sub and use the weaker second amp for the rears. What i would like to understand is:

What say guys.
thanks for answering this.. especially if this is a stupid/dumb question
Actually, LBT (???) has almost adequately answered your query.

Shedding some MORE light!

Folks prefer better stuff for the front, cos they mostly drive themselves, and would allocate the best resources for their listening area. Add to that, the fact that, front speakers give you more flexibility for placing speakers, atleast mostly. If you are chauffered, don't even get front speakers.

Quote:
1. How do you sync the two amps... isnt is possible that the amplification provided by the 2 amps will be different for the same increase in volume from the head unit.
Amps are provided with gains for this reason only. Thus it would suffice to say that almost any amplifier can be mated with any head unit.

Quote:
2. Also if the amps are from different companies there could be more trouble. I dont know the technical terms, but when it is recommended that the speaker brands for front and rear be the same I am sure that having amps from different brands powering the front and rear is asking for trouble ?
This constant reference to me is actually getting a bit unnerving. There's no problem with mixing amp/ speaker brands. There's only trouble when you mix drinks...and that applies to mere mortals too. I am immune.

Quote:
And one more general question:
1. Should the speaker have a RMS rating higher than that of the amp powering it or is it vice versa.
There is no such rule. You can have any combination, and be happy. Depends on what you listen to, and how you listen to it. People with budget constraints would have lower power amps driving higher power handling speakers. Then there are people like Navin who would use amplifiers with 10 times the rated power of the speaker in stereo, and then bridge it.
Old 7th August 2006, 16:46   #4092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
the main cause of speaker damage is when one pushs the amp to it max thus cliping and damaging the speaker.....but when a higher power amp will powered up there will be little clip thus saving the speaker and one more thing music is not a continous thing like a sine wave it has peaks in it so the amp would not be operating at 125 watts continously.....
LBT, wrong there. Our partnership is not doing you much good.

The MAIN cause of speaker damage is always excess power. Clipping is just a phenomenon. The effects of clipping are the same as overpowering a speaker. The excess power kills the speaker, not clipping. Clipping causes excess power to seep into the speaker. I think I just said the same thing 5 times in 5 different ways. Anyway, I hope you understood that excess power causes speaker to fail, not clipping.

So if you ensure that 125W rms of power is fed to a 100W rms speaker, it will definitely fail. There are no two ways about that.

By the way, if I haven't said it already, clipping doesn't kill a speaker. Power does.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 7th August 2006 at 16:47.
Old 7th August 2006, 17:50   #4093
Senior - BHPian

TROUBLE olredi... 3 smilies....????..Lol ...

.. B&T Pls explain "headroom" .. what exactly is it .. and what exactly does it do..

Last edited by kb100 : 7th August 2006 at 17:54.
Old 7th August 2006, 18:02   #4094
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me explain headroom quickly to you, before all these technical dolts attack and confuse you

Let's say you had 2 cars. And you drove both at 100kmph. And one car's top speed was 120 kmph and the other's was 200kmph.

At 100kmph, your 2nd car has more headroom.

Also, obviously, the performance of the 2nd car at 100kmph would be more stable and reliable.
I hope this helps.

Boom etc.
Old 7th August 2006, 19:00   #4095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
LBT, wrong there. Our partnership is not doing you much good.

The MAIN cause of speaker damage is always excess power. Clipping is just a phenomenon. The effects of clipping are the same as overpowering a speaker. The excess power kills the speaker, not clipping. Clipping causes excess power to seep into the speaker. I think I just said the same thing 5 times in 5 different ways. Anyway, I hope you understood that excess power causes speaker to fail, not clipping.

So if you ensure that 125W rms of power is fed to a 100W rms speaker, it will definitely fail. There are no two ways about that.

By the way, if I haven't said it already, clipping doesn't kill a speaker. Power does.
So then wouldnt it be safe and better to have a speaker that is rated higher than the amp ?? Are there any downsides for that ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks