Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 15:07   #10381
BHPian

Wiring Kits

Which is the best way to hook up 2 amplifiers in a car.
1. Getting a dual amplifier wiring kit
2. Getting 2 separate wiring kits for each amp

Mods: I had raised a similar question (but with more details) in my thread, havent got a response yet hence posting the Q here.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:22   #10382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Which is the best way to hook up 2 amplifiers in a car.
1. Getting a dual amplifier wiring kit
2. Getting 2 separate wiring kits for each amp

Mods: I had raised a similar question (but with more details) in my thread, havent got a response yet hence posting the Q here.
A Dual Amplifer Wiring Kit - Preferbaly with a 4 or 2 Gauge Power Kit.

You ll have less wires to deal with and lesser chances of introducing an alternator whine
Old 7th September 2010, 15:58   #10383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
A Dual Amplifer Wiring Kit - Preferbaly with a 4 or 2 Gauge Power Kit.

You ll have less wires to deal with and lesser chances of introducing an alternator whine
Suppose that this is the dual amp kit in consideration,
Kicker 09PKD4 - 4 Gauge Amp Kits - Sonic Electronix

The kit includes:
  1. 20ft(6.1m) Blue 4AWG power wire
  2. 3ft(0.9m) Black 4AWG ground wire
  3. 5ft(1.5m) Blue 8AWG power wire
  4. 5ft(1.5m) Blue 8AWG ground wire
  5. 20ft(6.1m) Blue 18AWG remote lead wire
  6. 1 Kicker 09FHS Fuse holder with 150 amp AFS fuse
  7. 2 [COLOR=#0045e2]Kicker 09DB1448[/COLOR] Distribution blocks
  8. Black rubber firewall grommet
  9. 2 4AWG Spade terminals
  10. 4 8AWG Spade terminals
  11. 1 18AWG Spade terminal
  12. Black zip ties
  13. Red butt connector
How does the connection work out, item 1 & 2 would be used for the first amp then item 3 & 4 (in italics) would be used for the 2nd amp ? Are there not kits which have the same 4awg cables for the 2nd amp too ?

Also how do we match the fuse and distribution block for 2 amps ? Can you shed some light on that pls ?
Old 7th September 2010, 16:10   #10384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
i bought a ZOTAC MAG PC off the shelf: NVIDIA ION based. This has ports for SPDIF and an HDMI(which i think will have both video and audio signals?) But as you say this might need some jugaad to get it working? The front panel has a standard stereo out.

A friend recomended get a USB DAC device and routing output from there into the Amp. Whats this option?
If you are routing audio through a hu then you need to just use stereo out from the MB and route it to the aux-in on the head.

If you are using a direct amp throughput then your board supports 2.1(normal stereo$), 4channel(two lineouts*), 5.1(three lineouts#)
These will all be stereo to 2 rca plugs.

$-that would be just the green plug into 2 rca.

*-that would be green+blue I believe. where green would make front left right and blue would make the rear left right.

#-that would be using all three plugs green+pink+blue. Where the third extra plug is center plus sub

Now if you use hdmi or spdif you need an external processor which you don't get too many anyway. A usb converter if I've understood you right is going to take usb out and convert to 6 channel the same as your 5.1 from the board.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:35   #10385
Senior - BHPian

JBL GTO1214D vs JBL GTO1214

Re-posting it from Product Discussion section as it might not have been at the right section to post the query in the first place.

Mods: You may please delete it from whichever section its not supposed to be in, thanks.

Now for my question:

The difference between SVC & DVC is that DVC can be wired in different ways and thus 1214D can be played at 2ohm whereas 1214 cannot. Would this statement be true?

I was initially planning to go for JBL GTO1214 but soon realized that there's a DVC available in the same model, it only shows in the US region of JBL website though.

JBL GTO3501 (360 rms at 2 ohm) is the amp that I was planning to have with 1214 sub (350 rms at 4 ohm). This means that if the amp is played at 4 ohms, the power would reduce to 225 rms and it wouldn't be enough to drive the 1214 sub. However, if I buy GTO1214D instead I can play the amp at 2 ohms (360 rms) but wouldn't that mean that at 2 ohms the sub would also have 700 rms?

Other questions that I have are-
1. GTO1214 is ~5.5k, is there a significant price increase for GTO1214D? Is it even available in India, particularly in delhi?

2. I've seen a few setups here where GTO1214 is powered by GTO3501 amp. Is it the right amp to go with GTO1214? Wouldn't it be underpowered when playing at 225 rms trying to power up the 350 rms sub at 4 ohms?

3. If GTO1214D is available and there isn't much price difference I would definitely want to go with this one but would this mean going for an even more expensive amp?
4. If DVC is not available then any other mono amps that I should consider with 1214 instead of the 3501? (Its just that it felt right to have a JBL amp with a JBL sub )
5. Would it be preferable to go with a mono-amp only or can a 4-channel amp like GTO1004 serve a similar (or better or worse) purpose towards powering a GTO1214?

6. Any guesses on prices of GTO1214D, GTO3501, GTO1004 please

Not sure if I've got my maths correct up there so please point out the discrepancies
Old 7th September 2010, 19:00   #10386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... get a USB DAC device and routing output from there into the Amp. Whats this option?
Yes, you need to get an external SPDIF-to-analog 5.1 or USB-to-analog 5.1 converter to get what you want.

How do you intend to power the box in the car? It needs 19V like laptops.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:01   #10387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How does the connection work out, item 1 & 2 would be used for the first amp then item 3 & 4 (in italics) would be used for the 2nd amp ? Are there not kits which have the same 4awg cables for the 2nd amp too ?

Also how do we match the fuse and distribution block for 2 amps ? Can you shed some light on that pls ?
It doesn work that way, sir.
THere is something called Distribution block in your list. The 4 Gauge power and ground wires go directly to the distribution block. A Typical distribution block will have 1 input and 2 / 3 outputs.

Hence both your 4 gauge wires go to this block from which your 8 gauge wire picks up and delivers power / ground connections to your two amps. So both your Amps will be getting 8 gauge power and ground wires only. Which i think is good enough for most SQ setups. (unless you plan to go the SPL way)

My RF distribution block can split into 3 - I can connect 3 Amps through a single 4 gauge power and Ground kit.

Few Competion grade Kits can split into 4. Audison has differentials output blocks. (which can cost as much as a budget ICE setup itself)

You can safely purchase the Kicker kit. In case you are getting this from US, check out the Rockford Fosgate RFK-4D too (i have this ).

Last edited by Mi10 : 7th September 2010 at 19:03.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:21   #10388
BHPian

Quote:
You can safely purchase the Kicker kit. In case you are getting this from US, check out the Rockford Fosgate RFK-4D too (i have this ).
In your opinion which of the below 3 would be the best possible buy for SQ setup ...

Note: the amps which I am looking to hook up are DLS RA20 & RA10.

kicker

JL
JL Audio 4 Gauge Dual Amplifier/Amp Power Installation Kit

RF
Rockford Fosgate RFK4D - 4 Gauge Amp Kits - Sonic Electronix
Old 7th September 2010, 20:14   #10389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In your opinion which of the below 3 would be the best possible buy for SQ setup ...

Note: the amps which I am looking to hook up are DLS RA20 & RA10.

kicker

JL
JL Audio 4 Gauge Dual Amplifier/Amp Power Installation Kit

RF
Rockford Fosgate RFK4D - 4 Gauge Amp Kits - Sonic Electronix
All three are very good brands. I only have experience with the RF hence cant comment on the other two.

However, if i was given a chance, i would go with JL. They have some real good Amps in thier line up and they are expected to produce same quality Amp kits too.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:24   #10390
BHPian

Quote:
All three are very good brands. I only have experience with the RF hence cant comment on the other two.

However, if i was given a chance, i would go with JL. They have some real good Amps in thier line up and they are expected to produce same quality Amp kits too.
Only downfall with this kit is that it comes with a 100amp fuse in the master fuse block. The RA20 max current rating is 50amps and RA10 max current rating is 120amps, together they come to 170 amps. But my plan is to drive the RA20 @ 4ohms and RA10 @ 2 ohms, for this i'm guessing the current would be somewhere around 120 amps together. Can the fuse be upgraded on the fuse block ?

Also do the distribution blocks have separate fuses on them ?
Old 7th September 2010, 21:43   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
How do you intend to power the box in the car? It needs 19V like laptops.
That sir looks like the killer. I tried sourcing the 19V DC-DC unit and all, but too complicated. However the ZOTAC works as a killer HTPC thanks to its HDMI out, running FS-X on the 46" LCD with surround sound (PL-II) like a dream! So its not a total waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes, you need to get an external SPDIF-to-analog 5.1 or USB-to-analog 5.1 converter to get what you want.
Considering [above], I am now veering towards the D410PT based PC sold by ir**e which i think comes with a 5.1 out (AC97 based). I am guessing i can route the 4 channels to the amp (leaving out the center speaker and the subwoofer for now) and leave it to the sound card to convert 2-channel stereo to 4 channel output (or 4.1 in the near future).

Please clarify: this screen (see image) on a PC equipped with a 5.1 sound card shows 6 channels in the section under Analog on the left and allows me to configure output. I am guessing i can convert a 2-channel stereo to 4.1 (or 4.0) using this screen if i get a 5.1 sound card?

PS: (this particular quickie grab is from my lappie which does not have the 5.1 card).
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-realtek.jpg  

Last edited by COUGAR : 7th September 2010 at 21:47.
Old 7th September 2010, 22:36   #10392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only downfall with this kit is that it comes with a 100amp fuse in the master fuse block. The RA20 max current rating is 50amps and RA10 max current rating is 120amps, together they come to 170 amps. But my plan is to drive the RA20 @ 4ohms and RA10 @ 2 ohms, for this i'm guessing the current would be somewhere around 120 amps together. Can the fuse be upgraded on the fuse block ?

Also do the distribution blocks have separate fuses on them ?
Distribution Block doesn' have fuses. But you can upgrade the Main Fuse to 120 A
Old 7th September 2010, 23:01   #10393
BHPian

@Mi10, what gauge wiring is best suited for speaker wiring ? Any idea how much length would be required for 4 speakers + sub ? Can 16awg wire be used for connecting speakers from HU directly ?

Also which is ideal for a sedan, a 4metre / 5metre RCA interconnect ?

Last edited by donarun : 7th September 2010 at 23:05.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:39   #10394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... PC equipped with a 5.1 sound card shows 6 channels in the section under Analog on the left and allows me to configure output. I am guessing i can convert a 2-channel stereo to 4.1 (or 4.0) using this screen if i get a 5.1 sound card? ...
Yes, that's the way to go. The advantage of this set up would be that if you get content (DVD, media files etc.) which sound that can be decoded to 5.1, it will come out the way it was meant to be heard. The only function you may miss with normal stereo in 5.1 would be Fader - which is not conveniently available like in an HU (available only in the sound configuration - too many clicks to reach there).
Old 8th September 2010, 18:00   #10395
BHPian

Quote:
@Mi10, what gauge wiring is best suited for speaker wiring ? Any idea how much length would be required for 4 speakers + sub ? Can 16awg wire be used for connecting speakers from HU directly ?

Also which is ideal for a sedan, a 4metre / 5metre RCA interconnect ?
Gurus, any suggestions on the above Q.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks