Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 11:34   #10351
BHPian

Flat battery

Experts, I have a doubt on battery, maybe it's just an illusion, but just want to confirm in the right way. My ICE consists of Clarion 4 Channel 400W AMP powering a 1100W JBL Sub woofer in bridged mode and 6” Phoenix Gold Comps. I used to test its limits at my home when I get kicked out of my house as my kids have to study and no one will be there to stare at me for this loudness. First instance was 3 weeks back. I pushed the volume to high level and within 30-40 minutes my battery went flat as it was not charging and I didn’t took the car for 3-4 days so the battery may be at its average level. But 2 days back when I came back from a 60Kms ride at day time, and checked, got the same results. Is it normal or my AMP drinking too much juice or even my alternator is not feeding properly?

I haven’t checked this with the car running as I don’t like to pump the volume to high while driving like some guys used to show off their ICE.

What are the suggested charging rates? Being it's a 50AH battery, heard that the healthy charging rates should be around 10% I.E. 5A but considering the requirements of the Headlights and the other lights it should be more than 30A Right? Being new to car electrical, am confused and planning to check the charging rates this week.

BTW, my ride is Chevy Beat.

Last edited by sajjt : 17th August 2010 at 11:36.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:55   #10352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
My ICE consists of Clarion 4 Channel 400W AMP
First instance was 3 weeks back. I pushed the volume to high level and within 30-40 minutes my battery went flat as it was not charging and I didn’t took the car for 3-4 days so the battery may be at its average level.
How old is this battery? If it over 3 years old have it checked.

Ideally you should NOT run your car system without running the car for more than 10 mins or so.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:00   #10353

ICE equation

Hi
I am currently searching for ICE for my yet-to-arrive Polo. My head has almost imploded trying to find a balance between a thrifty budget and the delectable goodies.
I have decided upon certain choices and am clueless about the others. Could you guys please validate these choices or provide better alternatives? The only constraint is the budget, ~20K (including wiring, installation etc).

HU - Kenwood x494 (to be sourced from US for ~$140-150, an equally impressive alternative available in India would be much appreciated)

Amp - are alien objects to me. Need to power only the coaxes right now, so any ~6-7K option would hit the sweet spot.

Front speakers - Hardest part of the equation. Though i would have surely gone for components, that option has been shot down in mid-flight by my father. I am now looking out for coaxials which are laid-back and high on SQ (not a boom-boom fan). A few options i googled up are DLS Performace 426 and Rainbow SL 165NG. (again, to be sourced from US for ~$150-160 but an alternative available here would be much better).

I hope the questions are intelligible and the solutions feasible.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:42   #10354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
How old is this battery? If it over 3 years old have it checked.

Ideally you should NOT run your car system without running the car for more than 10 mins or so.
Its a new car, I bought it 5 months back. Yes am sure that it wont happen with the engine running.

Is there any checks to be performed for the correct charging rates? What could be the correct charging rates in cars?
Old 18th August 2010, 00:27   #10355
BHPian

I know of one. He does selective installs on Sundays. But if you are coming from Shimla, I'd say go to Delhi. The workmanship there should be far far better than the I-do-it-my-way Chandigarh installers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
do you know of any good installer in and around chandigarh?
Old 18th August 2010, 10:28   #10356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S00p View Post
... HU - Kenwood x494 (to be sourced from US for ~$140-150, an equally impressive alternative available in India would be much appreciated)
The nearest Indian Kenwood equivalent is KDC-U7046BT (2-line display), or perhaps KDC-U546BT (1-line display). There are decent HUs with BT etc. from Pio, JVC and Blaupunkt also.

Quote:
... Amp - are alien objects to me. Need to power only the coaxes right now, so any ~6-7K option would hit the sweet spot.
Kenwood 8404, JBL A644, Blaupunkt GTA4 Spl Mk2, Pio (not sure of model number), etc. etc. - there are quite a few in the 6K range

Quote:
... Front speakers - ... laid-back and high on SQ (not a boom-boom fan). ...
Infinity Reference, JBL GTO, Illusion Electra, Bull, Morel, Hertz ESK, ... lots of choices available locally. Get components, not coaxials - the difference of 1-2K makes a world of difference in imaging and SQ.

Better to buy in India - at least you get local support when something goes wrong. You also need coaxes in the back, preferably 6x9 ovals on the parcel shelf.

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th August 2010 at 10:34.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:40   #10357
BHPian

Hi

I am looking for reviews of "Rainbow 12" Cyclone Series Enclosed Subwoofer" in ported enclosure.

rainbow - german car audio | Rainbow Audio Components

Waiting for replies.
Thanks.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:19   #10358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Hi

I am looking for reviews of "Rainbow 12" Cyclone Series Enclosed Subwoofer" in ported enclosure.

rainbow - german car audio | Rainbow Audio Components

Waiting for replies.
Thanks.
Contact vinay85 on forum. He has it in his car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...-but-nice.html
Old 18th August 2010, 15:21   #10359
BHPian

amplifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
I know of one. He does selective installs on Sundays. But if you are coming from Shimla, I'd say go to Delhi. The workmanship there should be far far better than the I-do-it-my-way Chandigarh installers.
Hmmm, i have not been much impressed with the knowledge and workmanship of most of the installers here. Seems like getting this done in delhi would be best. any recommendations?

apart from the DLS & Genesis does anyone have any idea of a good 4 channel amplifier capable of driving 80W RMS morel tempo 6 at the front and 80W DLS oval 962's at the back.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:43   #10360

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The nearest Indian Kenwood equivalent is KDC-U7046BT (2-line display), or perhaps KDC-U546BT (1-line display). There are decent HUs with BT etc. from Pio, JVC and Blaupunkt also.
Well, BT isn't a requirement (KDC-X494 doesn't have it either). I decided on this HU based on reviews of the overall eXcelon range (494 being the cheapest) and 4V pre-outs.

Quote:
Kenwood 8404, JBL A644, Blaupunkt GTA4 Spl Mk2, Pio (not sure of model number), etc. etc. - there are quite a few in the 6K range.
Would there be some type of science involved in choosing an Amp from the aforementioned ones or are they equally good and i can just mynie-moe any one.

Quote:
Infinity Reference, JBL GTO, Illusion Electra, Bull, Morel, Hertz ESK, ... lots of choices available locally. Get components, not coaxials - the difference of 1-2K makes a world of difference in imaging and SQ.
Well, one of the reasons for Coaxes was stealth install. I don't want any part of the speakers (read tweets) sticking out or requiring cutting chunks of a brand new door. Would it be possible or is this too naive a question?
Old 18th August 2010, 17:40   #10361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, i have not been much impressed with the knowledge and workmanship of most of the installers here. Seems like getting this done in delhi would be best. any recommendations?

apart from the DLS & Genesis does anyone have any idea of a good 4 channel amplifier capable of driving 80W RMS morel tempo 6 at the front and 80W DLS oval 962's at the back.
Try Driven or GYRO at Delhi. Make an appointment before going to them to let them know you are coming from Shimla.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...moti-bagh.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...riven-ncr.html
Old 18th August 2010, 19:05   #10362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tempo's can take in even more power without battling an eye lid. Infact the I am feeding 150 W RMS to my Morel Tempo 6X. Sings like gem.

However, the above is not exactly applicable for DLS ovals.

Think between 85-110 rms should be fine.

Check out CA 470 from Harmon Kardon (85 x 4), Rockford fosgate T400-4 (100 x 4), Rainbow ipaul 4 Ch (90 x 4), Blaupunkt Velocity Pro 4130 (130 x 4), Infinity Kappa (120 x 4) all are good amps for your requirment.

However DLS RA40 / Genesis 4 Ch would be in a different league altogether
Old 18th August 2010, 19:44   #10363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... BT isn't a requirement (KDC-X494 doesn't have it either). ...
Check the India Kenwood site - you will get a decent idea what is available.

Quote:
... Would there be some type of science involved ... or ... i can just mynie-moe any one. ...
Well, not exactly eenie-meenie, but close to. Common science Check out who is giving you the best deal (MRP v/s quoted price) WITH bill & warranty.

Quote:
... Well, one of the reasons for Coaxes was stealth install. ... or requiring cutting chunks of a brand new door. ...
Visit the VW dealership once again and have a close look at what you are buying. There IS a stock location, so no cutting-shutting required.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:25   #10364

Thanks again DerAlte!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Check the India Kenwood site - you will get a decent idea what is available.
I already did (like a thousand times). Had my heart set on the 7016 (X794) until i realized that it's gonna set me back ~13K. Why did the Kenny folks rebrand 794/994 for the indian market and not 494.
Quote:
Visit the VW dealership once again and have a close look at what you are buying. There IS a stock location, so no cutting-shutting required.
I was hoping someone would answer on the forum itself and save me the trip (I got the lazee gene).
Old 20th August 2010, 16:09   #10365
BHPian

Hello Guru's, a quick question.

I am looking at the JBL GTO7001 mono amplifier for my sub. Please let me know how good this amplifier is and what will be the cost of this amplifier in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks