Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 19:03   #10366
Senior - BHPian

Feels nostalgic to be back on this thread after 5 years.... Need advise on Polo/Vento stereos in general. Given that they dont have RCA outs, do I really need a line input converter..like Bull Audios for 4.5k??? I mean if my amplifier (Pioneer GM 6100F) Pioneer USA - GM-6100F - already hase line level inputs provision, do I still need a converter. Or would I be able to just take speaker level inputs from Polo/Vento's HU to the AMP and than power my sub and front components?
Old 20th August 2010, 22:32   #10367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Feels nostalgic to be back on this thread after 5 years.... Need advise on Polo/Vento stereos in general. Given that they dont have RCA outs, do I really need a line input converter..like Bull Audios for 4.5k??? I mean if my amplifier (Pioneer GM 6100F) Pioneer USA - GM-6100F - already hase line level inputs provision, do I still need a converter. Or would I be able to just take speaker level inputs from Polo/Vento's HU to the AMP and than power my sub and front components?
You don't really need one if your amp supports speaker level input but trust me a GOOD HLA makes a lot of difference.
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:24   #10368
BHPian

Hi
I wanted to know if there is any way we could connect speakers directly to RCA outs of a Sound Processor. Any low to high converter available?
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:27   #10369
BHPian

How can we retro-fit pre outs to a stock headunit through it's mainbooard?
Old 24th August 2010, 10:58   #10370
ppr
BHPian

Audi A6

Hi

I just bought a preowned 2008 Audi A6 2.8 FSI with WCI package. It has the MMI and the Bose package. It did not, however, come with a bluetooth connection for my iPhone 3GS.

1) Is it possible to add the bluetooth capability? I go to the US and UK next week and is it cheaper to by from there?

2) How do I use my iPhone to play music through this system? I mean, I could always use some sort of FM transmitter but I would like to be able to select songs through the MMI if possible. That is more important to me than the bluetooth.

Thanks

ppr
Old 24th August 2010, 11:10   #10371
ppr
BHPian

I also wanted to know how to get the GPS to show on the MMI screen, but I am not sure this is the right forum?
Old 26th August 2010, 22:26   #10372
BHPian

Phase 2 suggestions please

I am planning phase 2 of ICE upgrade. The 1st phase being a minor one (replaced fronts with kicker 4" comps)

My thread is here

Car:
Chevy Spark

Current setup:
Kicker 4" comps + stock HU

Phase 2 requirement:

SUB
1. Bigger the sub size the better the sound ?? (i know its a stupid question)
2. 12" Rockford PRIME vs PUNCH series - any huge price diff? Any availability issues? Any performance feedback here on TBHP?
3. Any other sub you recommend ??
4. Sub box - OEM vs custom - which is better in long run ??

REARS
1.Feedback about JBL GTO948 seems to be good. Anything else you recommend ??

AMP:
1. Any suggestion on a 4channel AMP. Anything to lookout for here (terms / technology / features) ??

HU: (skipped as of now - low on budget)
This will be phase 3 (sub / amp / rears will eat lot of money)

COST:
Any approx cost of sub + amp + rear + MDF tray + wiring + installation charges ??
I need to know how bad the damages will be so i should be mentally prepared.

Anyone (reading this) in a good mood to lend money for this charity work
Old 26th August 2010, 23:00   #10373
Senior - BHPian

quadra; does the HU have a preamp out? If not get one which has speaker-level inputs ( like Focal Solid, 13k or so) .

Bigger the better eh? Bigger moves more air

10 inch would do justice but who's stopping you!

And have you heard a ported/sealed setup? I would advise you to check one first.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:22   #10374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
quadra; does the HU have a preamp out? If not get one which has speaker-level inputs ( like Focal Solid, 13k or so) .
I am not sure on this. Will need to check. If i get the HU now, my budget goes for a toss. Any suggestions on what should i go in for FIRST ?

Quote:
Bigger the better eh? Bigger moves more air

10 inch would do justice but who's stopping you!
Got it captain

Quote:
And have you heard a ported/sealed setup? I would advise you to check one first.
Never heard of it. Any links / gyan on the same ???
Old 28th August 2010, 23:49   #10375
BHPian

Countrymen - phase 2 complete (click here)

Thanks for your help fellas.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:28   #10376
BHPian

Amplifier for a Carputer install

Cross posting query from another thread Converting Gypsy into a mini-RV.

Current Setup

In the front speaker sockets, i have 2 6" JBL component speakers. In addition, i have two rear-firing 4" JBL speakers mounted on an MDF board above the B-pillar: not the most optimum I know, but saving cabin space was more important (earlier i had two sony xplod 3 way speakers 6"x9" mounted in humongous wooden boxes, these sounded awesome but occupied too much space). Finally I have 2 tweeters donated to me by a generous T-bhpian which are mounted on the dashboard: i am not geeky enough yet to understand what these things do exactly, except look cool!

these speakers are all driven by a basic JVC HU which has USB input and a steering remote: pretty useful and has provided great service so far.

Now with the carputer coming in, the HU has to go because there simply isn't any space to keep both the carputer and the HU. So the carputer audio-out will need to be connected to a 2/4 channel amp.

Options being considered:
1. JBL 2channel GTS-S422. Rs.4200/-.
2. Sony 2 channel GTX6022 - Rs.3990/-.
3. JBL 4 channel GTS-S644 - Rs. 6995/-.
4. Sony 4 Channel GTX 6042 - Rs. 5990/-.

Does it make sense to go for a 4 channel amp now to leave space for expansion later - say a sub-woofer or something?

With a 2-channel amp, how would the output from the carputer be routed to 4 speakers? Will we need a Y-cable to split the signal coming out of the amp? How would it work with the 4-channel? where do the tweeters go? And in future, to mount the sub-woofer we will require 2 channels is it?

Any decent amps available which take SPDIF input since my PC supports that? Cost and pros/cons of that option?

with a 4-channel amp, routing to 4 speakers, but if we are providing stereo (2 channel) input, how does it transform it to 4 channel? Do car-amps work like the Onkyo type Home Theater systems and support Pro-Logic type processing? The car-amp will do that or do we need some computer hardware/software for that?

appreciate all help. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:58   #10377
Senior - BHPian

One cannot split Front into Front + Rear - one loses depth perspective, and the ability to Fade to rear, if done like that.

Since you are wondering about Home Theater type processing, it is better you go whole hog and implement a 5.1 system. For that you will need 6 channels of amplification for feeding the Front R+L, Rear R+L, Center and Sub. Yes, it is possible to decode content on the PC into 5.1 channel. The 'amp' does not do it, the main processor (or the Sound processor) in the Car PC would do that. Look for the 'digital sound' output on the board - it would have been brought out to a 2.54mm dual row header somewhere on the board. BTW, which board are you using for your Car PC?

JBL 644 (better than the Sony's) should be less than the MRP, maybe 6K or less. Get a 4 channel for the Front and Rear, and a 2-channel (or a mono) for driving the sub. If you want the center channel too, then the 2-channel should be a 4-channel amp.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:05   #10378
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte! So for now I would go for a suitable 4-channel amp (JBL 644 is your recomendation?). The 4 car speakers would be wired to the 4-outs of the amps. Still a little confused on how the 2-channel stereo output of the PC will be transformed into 4 speakers?

My PC supports SPDIF out. Any way to tap this output and get it to the amp?
Old 6th September 2010, 11:25   #10379
Senior - BHPian

Which board are you using? Not SPDIF, that will need further external decoding. Usually boards with Realtek sound bring out 5.1 on a header, as I had described earlier. In other desktop boards, the 3 sockets on the back-plate are configured differently. Check your mother board manual.

Yes, go for the JBL 644.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:38   #10380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Which board are you using?
i bought a ZOTAC MAG PC off the shelf: NVIDIA ION based. This has ports for SPDIF and an HDMI(which i think will have both video and audio signals?) But as you say this might need some jugaad to get it working? The front panel has a standard stereo out.

A friend recomended get a USB DAC device and routing output from there into the Amp. Whats this option?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks