Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 12:20   #10441
BHPian

Help in finalising a HU

Gurus,

I am looking for a HU for ICE install in my swift. The more I read through the threads the more I get confused with the options available. I have however decided to go in for a Kenwood HU for now. My priority is SQ from the final setup. I am confused which model to pick from these two options: KDC-X8016BT and KDC-X7016.

These models are perhaps Indian counterparts of Kenwood's Excelon range in US, came to know about this from some thread here. I am confused which one to pick. Please help me I see that only major difference between the two HU seems to be of Blue tooth connectivity. This vehicle will not be my daily driver so bluetooth connectivity is not a neccesicity. So guys is there any other feature present in 8016BT which makes it a better choice or shall I go in for the 7016. Looking forward to your inputs on this one.

Regards,
Jasvinder
Old 8th October 2010, 15:44   #10442
Team-BHP Support

diesel,

If you need blue tooth go for 8016 if not the 7016 will do.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:28   #10443
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Navin, This will save me some money for better speakers now. Can you suggest some reliable source for Morel Speakers, as someone told me there are quite a few immitations available in the market. I dont want spend money on something fake. Also what other brands can i go for when it comes to quality speakers. I listen to a mix of music, would like speakers which are clear and not inclined toward high frequency sound. I am not good with ice terminology I just hope I explained myself clear enough.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:38   #10444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This might be a manufacturing defect and if not too big (I cant tell the extent from the picture) it can be fixed rather easily.

The surrund can be carefully glued back to the cone.
hey navin, thanks for your response on the problem. I also visited Pioneer's office today afternoon & met one of their technical associates. He saw my woofer & said that it's alright. He pressed on the cone with this hand to check if there is any air leak & according to him, it was fine. He then took me to his office where a unit of the same woofer model was installed on a demo rack & it also had a little space in this region. However, I am still convinced that the space is more in my sub & that initially it wasn't there. But since the sound output is fine & the Pioneer guy has given a positive report, I think I would stick to it for some time & use it.

What I have thought is that if there indeed is a fault, the gap would widen up more & more & then I can ask for a replacement.

Let me know if there are any other ideas w.r.t this issue.

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2010, 10:15   #10445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Can you suggest some reliable source for Morel Speakers, as someone told me there are quite a few immitations available in the market.
I know and it is frustrating. Some of the fakes look so well made they'd fool the resellers too (untill they are installed and heard). Your best option is to ask for a bill and warranty card and mail the warrant card yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
He then took me to his office where a unit of the same woofer model was installed on a demo rack & it also had a little space in this region.
That's odd. Can you post a blow up of this "space". I just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Old 9th October 2010, 10:25   #10446
Senior - BHPian

^^ hey navin, I will just go & take some pictures & post them here. I hope that you are still online when I post the pictures.

Also navin, do speakers & woofers also require running-in? The guy who installed the system ended up playing the system at full volume for nearly 2 hours. I told him to reduce the volume a couple of times but then he said he needs it to understand the best settings on the amplifier & also the connections to be made. He juggled around with connections & fixed it when he felt that the sound was best. Is it alright, I am skeptical that the continous 2 hour "power play" mode of the speakers & woofer might have caused some damage, what do you think?

I hope I am not sounding fussy or cynical, it's just that this is an investment for me & being the first time, I want to make sure things are in order.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 9th October 2010 at 10:33.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:01   #10447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also navin, do speakers & woofers also require running-in?
Yes woofers especially can do with a bit of "breaking-in". I usually run the speakers at about half volume for an hour before making any judgements about their performance. The first hour will get you 80% of the way there.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:15   #10448
Senior - BHPian

^^navin, what is the ideal procedure to run-in woofers & whats the duration like? Also, do you think that the episode of playing them at high volume could have caused any damage? Or maybe you can tell me some things that I could check to make sure it's ok?

Below are the pictures (closeups), with the first picture showing the gap & the second showing a region along the circumference of the rubber surround that does not have a gap.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1030637.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1030640.jpg

Please help.

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2010, 21:42   #10449
BHPian

@blackfire_9
Congrats for the ICE install! This deserves a thread in the Sound off section with pics and videos (if possible).

Cheers! Enjoy the music!
Old 11th October 2010, 08:59   #10450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^navin, what is the ideal procedure to run-in woofers & whats the duration like? Also, do you think that the episode of playing them at high volume could have caused any damage? Or maybe you can tell me some things that I could check to make sure it's ok?

Below are the pictures (closeups), with the first picture showing the gap & the second showing a region along the circumference of the rubber surround that does not have a gap.

Attachment 436109

Attachment 436110

Please see the pictures in post no : 10448

Please help.

Drive safe.
Guys, any inputs here please!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th October 2010, 10:01   #10451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok now I see it. Ok it is not much to worry about. Relax. I thought it was much worse.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:03   #10452
Senior - BHPian

It is normal nothing to worry about !!!
Old 11th October 2010, 12:31   #10453
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thank you very much l_b_m & navin!!!!! A hearty thanks to you. I honestly had been growing very anxious thinking about whether or not this is a problem. I had seen a couple of new units this past weekend at other shops & they did not have this gap. I feel it is a result of poor quality control on part of Pioneer. I am writing a letter to them today evening on this along with the pictures, as I feel they should be made aware of it.

@navin: You said that it is not much to worry about & that you were worried for it to be much worse, but does that mean this is a fault/problem & this gap, however small shouldn't be there?

But I am relieved to know that it is normal & this is nothing to worry about. I can now start playing the sub again without the anxiety of it having some sort of a problem.

Also, what is the ideal way to run-in a subwoofer? Please guide me with it. From what I googled, I learnt that it is best to play the speakers & woofers at about 50% of their capacity/full volume for at least a week before pumping up the volume a bit in the second week & so on. Is this approach correct?

A big thanks to both of you again

Drive safe.

@lord: I guess, now I can move on to posting a thread on the Sound show-off section, since I am now relieved & ready to enjoy the bass (my woofer)

At the same time, I thank you for your continuous support & help during my hunt for the upgrades & for bearing with my numerous phone calls. Thank you!

I also thank tanveer (tsk13) & jaspreet (notorious) for helping me out with my doubts from time to time & guiding me when required with the right information.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 11th October 2010 at 12:35.
Old 13th October 2010, 20:41   #10454

Polo ice query

Hi

A noob question: Is there any after market solution (read fitments; plastic, fibre-glass, etc) to fill the glaring gap i'd have if i were to replace polo's stock HU with a single din HU?
Another noob question: Would fitting mid bass drivers in the front doors of Polo require cutting the door, or would they fit cosily behind the stock grills?

Thanks in advance
A noob
Old 14th October 2010, 12:01   #10455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9;2101497
[B
@navin: You said that it is not much to worry about & that you were worried for it to be much worse,
No your original post made it look like the surround had seperated from the cone. As LBM stated this sort of construction is normal for modern heavy coned woofers. What I imagined (before the close up photos were posted) was the surround peeling off the cone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks