Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 11:22   #10591
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Can i play two polk mm1040dvc subs from a jbl 3501 amp without any problems ?
Also would a reverse mount install affect sound quality?
I assume the 1040 has 4 ohms coils. If so yo can series/parallel the 4 coils (from the 2 subs) to get 4 ohms. The 3501 will drive the subs but not to the full potential. For that you will need the 7001 or 14001.
Old 11th December 2010, 19:49   #10592
BANNED

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I assume the 1040 has 4 ohms coils. If so yo can series/parallel the 4 coils (from the 2 subs) to get 4 ohms. The 3501 will drive the subs but not to the full potential. For that you will need the 7001 or 14001.
I already have a 3501 .So i want to use that to fire the two polkmm1040D with that.What want to know now is what is better,
1.) Use the single coil in each , and wire to present a 2 ohm load to amp.(I cannot wire each DVC in way to present 1ohm load as amp is not rated at 1 ohm :-()
2.) Use two coils from each sub and wire in series to present a 2 ohm load .

Also can anyone shed some light on reverse mount of woofers .Is sound output/quality equal to normal install ?
Thanks

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 11th December 2010 at 19:50.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:55   #10593
BHPian

Size of the ICE a palio stock position can accomadate. Can a 3 " Ice be installed in the stock position. I was planning to get this Xovision XO9013 3" In-Dash wide Screen Touch DVD Receiver.Available at Walmat for 128$.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-b7203f1f45263f73cebb2a403b79a280.jpg  

Old 13th December 2010, 20:30   #10594
Senior - BHPian

@ravi_yadav-ji, the 3" refers to the screen size. 1DIN refers to the mounting size. The pic you have given seems to be that of a 1DIN HU that has a 3" screen. Should not be a problem to fit it in a Palio.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:47   #10595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@ravi_yadav-ji, the 3" refers to the screen size. 1DIN refers to the mounting size. The pic you have given seems to be that of a 1DIN HU that has a 3" screen. Should not be a problem to fit it in a Palio.
Thanks for the update.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:40   #10596
BHPian

A few days back i sat in a few cars which had subwoofers installed in them just to get an idea of the sound produced irrespective of the brand of sub installed.
Some of them had the apparent boomy sound and some of them had a sort of punch in the back effect. Some just dominated and vocals could not be heard much. However, at times the boomy or the punchy ones produced that soft base which complimented the music and not shake up the car.
Well this is how i perceived the sound coming from a sub-woofer and what i am really looking for is that sort of soft deep base which doesnt have to shake my car or give that punch but it should rather compliment and complete the sound package. Or in lay-man terms a SQ sub.

So i was wondering whether i would be happy with a 8' or at max a 10' since i just dont need that shake-my-car effect. I will be trying to audition the ID 8 and 10' subs in the coming days.

More importantly i want to have the bass coming from the from effect rather than the bass filling in the rear.
I read somewhere in order to achieve that front base ,I would need to set my sub below 40-60HZ. A HU with TA would also help, but sadly i dont have this option in my HU. Also midbass speaker in the front doors would then fill up the frequencies above 60HZ. However i have no idea as to how low can the midbass of Rainbow SLX 265 deluxe go.

Can the gurus shed some light on how to achieve the Up Front BASS effect in the car if at all its possible without the TA in the HU
Old 15th December 2010, 22:05   #10597
BHPian

CEDIA ICE upgrade

The stock ICE has served me for 2 years and now looking for a STAGE-1 ICE upgrade for my CEDIA.

Here is what I have in mind,

HU - JBL GT-X333 - Rs4800
Amp - JBL GT5 S644 - Rs6800
Speakers - Infinity Kappa 60.9cs - Rs12000
Wiring kit - Scosche - Rs2000

In STAGE-1, I am only looking for front component speakers.

When budget permits, I will go for a STAGE-2 with rear speakers, mono and a sub.

Gurus, What is your thought about my STAGE-1. Do you have any alternate suggetion with in same budget.
If it looks good, how is the quote I have got? Is there room for bargain?
What is the best price I can get in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th December 2010, 22:31   #10598
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey mate, I would suggest that you look at some other option for the wiring kit. Based on the price you have quoted, I am assuming that the kit you are considering is the Scosche e400 & if it is so, then I must tell you that though the setup will work, this kit is not sufficient/recommended for a 4 channel amplifier. This kit has a maximum current carrying capacity of 20A at full length & most 4 channel amplifiers need around 25-30A at any given time & hence you would restrict the full potential of the amplifier.

Also this kit is 10 guage, which is not recommended for such current requirements.

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong some place.

Drive safe.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:14   #10599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Based on the price you have quoted, I am assuming that the kit you are considering is the Scosche e400
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion friend.
I haven't specifically checked the model of Scosche. Will do that tomorrow.
Do you have any model suggestion for wiring kit?
Everything else looks fine isn't it?

Last edited by sj_koova : 15th December 2010 at 23:15. Reason: grammar
Old 16th December 2010, 00:22   #10600
BHPian

blackfire_9,
Will Scosche E1000 suite my proposed setup?
I can probably get the kappa 60.9cs and amp wiring from US or Japan at half the cost. Just wanted to make sure I don't end up buying worng stuff.
Old 16th December 2010, 02:26   #10601
BHPian

Hi
I recently bought an Infinity ref1240SE subwoofer for my Fiesta 1.6S. This subwoofer has it's port on the top. As of now the sub is placed almost touching the rear seats and bang in the middle with the cone facing outside towards the boot door.
Just for the heck of it, I would like to try out different placements for this subwoofer in the boot. Please suggest the possible options for best sound quality.

I fear that I can only move it in standing position, do I lose anything here?
Old 16th December 2010, 10:05   #10602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion friend.
I haven't specifically checked the model of Scosche. Will do that tomorrow.
Do you have any model suggestion for wiring kit?
Everything else looks fine isn't it?
Quote:
blackfire_9,
Will Scosche E1000 suite my proposed setup?
I can probably get the kappa 60.9cs and amp wiring from US or Japan at half the cost. Just wanted to make sure I don't end up buying worng stuff.
Hey mate,

You are welcome. As for suggestions, I have been using JBL wiring kit (Original) & I would have recommended that however it has been stopped now. There are other options from Rockford or Kicker as well but I don't know about their specifications & moreover, my idea is that they would cost upwards of 3.5-4K.

Other things look fine, except the cost of the amplifier you are looking at. We can get the same amplifier in Delhi for almost 1K less.

The Scosche e1000 should suit fine, however, I would still suggest you look at the specs before deciding. Look for it in shops around your area & see the packing. Check the size (in mm square) of the power cable & ground cable & also look at the power rating which is usually given at the back of the Scosche kit cover. From what I have learnt, you need at least an 8 guage kit for optimum results. And an 8 guage kit is 10 mm square (this size is also printed on the sleeve of the power cable apart from the packing) as an approximation, though a lot also depends on the material. If the wiring is made of gold, I think you can go lower on the thickness but then such a wiring would cost a bomb.

Drive safe.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:23   #10603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
1.) Use the single coil in each , and wire to present a 2 ohm load to amp
2.) Use two coils from each sub and wire in series to present a 2 ohm load .
Is each coil on the 1040 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

In almost all cases I prefer car amplifers see a 4 ohm load over a 2ohm or 1 ohm load. The gurus like B&T and Sam Kapasi disagree with me on this but I prefer the amp be drivfen safely. It also allows the amp to be in better control of the speaker if it operating within it's safe working limits.

Hence I would recommend you series the coils of each sub then wire both subs in parallel to get 4 ohms (assuming each coil is 4 ohms) and drive this combo with the 3501.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
So i was wondering whether i would be happy with a 8' or at max a 10' since i just dont need that shake-my-car effect.

I read somewhere in order to achieve that front base ,I would need to set my sub below 40-60HZ. A HU with TA would also help, but sadly i dont have this option in my HU. Also midbass speaker in the front doors would then fill up the frequencies above 60HZ. However i have no idea as to how low can the midbass of Rainbow SLX 265 deluxe go.
Sub tuning is what determines BOOM from bass. I have seen too many cars that go BOOM to fault the subwoofer. It is usually the listener who prefers the BOOM to subtle bass.

While TA does make life easy it is possible to get a subwoofer to sound well integrated (atleast on some of the music if not all of it) to the front speakers without access to TA. What do you think we did in the 1980s?

It just requires time and patience as every car is different and the combination of cars, subwoofers, boxes, etc does not make this an exact science.

The SLX265 can easily be XOed at 60hz/12db. At moderate levels it will not be abused. I think you have the right idea. A good quality 10" like an IDQ 10, JL10W7/6, Focal 27V1/V2, Infinty Kappa 10VQ, RE Audio MX/MT10, Alpine Type X, Morel Ultimo etc...will provide tuneful bass in the right box and powered by a good monoblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
As of now the sub is placed almost touching the rear seats and bang in the middle with the cone facing outside towards the boot door.
This is probably the best way to mount the sub. You could try moving the sub to one side of the trunk instead of bang in the middle.

Last edited by navin : 16th December 2010 at 10:25.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:31   #10604
BHPian

Re: CEDIA ICE upgrade

Quote:
Speakers - Infinity Kappa 60.9cs - Rs12000
These are available on Amazon for ~INR 5700. That big price difference ??

Amazon.com: Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair): Electronics
Old 16th December 2010, 12:00   #10605
BHPian

Re: CEDIA ICE upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
These are available on Amazon for ~INR 5700. That big price difference ??

Amazon.com: Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair): Electronics
Yes you are right. I did see this earlier. Thats why I was thinking I will buy it in US. I can ship it to my peers in the US and pick it when I travel or when they travel to India.

The price difference is not justifiable!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks