Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 14:22   #10696
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hello Gurus,

I am very unhappy with the OEM music system sound in my SX4. Bass is totally non existent and high volume sound is very unclear.

I want a basic setup>> a pair of speakers in front and a pair in back, with an amplifier.I intend to retain the original panel(dont want to waste the steering mounted controls).

I am totally unaware of the technicalities and good brands in ICE (I only know pioneer). Please guide me.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:55   #10697
Senior - BHPian

Help needed with settings on Kenwood 7046BT

Hi!

Car: Safari
HU: Kenwood 7046BT
Amp: Infinity 475a 4 channel amp.
Speakers are JBL GTO 603 components in the front. GT5 coaxials in the rear.
Sub: JBL 1213 CS. 12".

The amp drives the front components and the subwoofer.
The rear coaxials are driven off the HU.

Problem: The rear coaxials sound very feeble compared to the front components, to the extent of not being heard. If I switch the HU to 2Zone, or switch the sub off, then the rear components are heard.

Anyone familiar with the 7046BT, can you please guide me on what setting can be done to bring the sound from the co-axials up ?

Is adding a monoblock to drive the sub and fire front & rear speakers thru the infinity the only solution ?

for a pure sound quality effect, from the sub, does a ported enclosure sound better or a fully sealed enclosure ?

What is the ideal crossover for the subwoofer ? I'm running at 80Hz but sometimes feel more 'boom' than desired.

thanks for your help.
Srini
Old 9th February 2011, 14:27   #10698
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I have a query quite similar to smrini.

My current setup has 4 channel Amp powering front comps and a sub but since now the car would be chauffeur driven I need some more juice from the rear Coax as well.

Should I put a Mono amp & power sub with it and use the 4 channel amp to power front comps & rear coax?How much would a descent mono cost?

Thanks

Last edited by kratos11 : 9th February 2011 at 14:29.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:06   #10699
BHPian

Use the 4 ch amp to power the speakers and a mono amp for the sub. The rear ones which are powered by the HU will never match the output and clarity of the front speakers which you are powering via the amp.
Old 13th February 2011, 00:13   #10700

are focal access comps better than infinity comps?
Old 13th February 2011, 12:01   #10701
Senior - BHPian

Are oranges better than apples? Inappropriate comparison.

There is no right or wrong answers to such a comparison. It is a matter of individual liking. Some like the more neutral sound signature of Infinity, some like the slightly brighter Focal. Audition both before you buy - a good dealer will give you audition in a car.
Old 13th February 2011, 12:09   #10702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte;2242769 Audition both before you buy - a [B
good deale[/b]r will give you audition in a car.
This is interesting.

Do you or any one else know of a dealer like this ?
I would love to audition different audio equipment in my car before I install ?

In my 18 ++ years of audio installing, I have never come across any dealer like this...
Pointers would be appreciated..
Old 13th February 2011, 16:14   #10703
Senior - BHPian

Bhagwan-sab, come to Bangalore! Those who are confident about their abilities and selling acumen definitely do (unless one goes there for time pass). There are few in Bangalore.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:37   #10704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
Do you or any one else know of a dealer like this ?
I would love to audition different audio equipment in my car before I install ?
In my 18 ++ years of audio installing
Bhagwan you are back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Bhagwan-sab, come to Bangalore! Those who are confident about their abilities and selling acumen definitely do (unless one goes there for time pass). There are few in Bangalore.
DA, Bhagwan is an absoute mad man. The list of audio equipment he has tried is endless (and priceless) and I am sure that many of the names are new to most here. Even dealers might be unaware of the very existence of the brands Bhagwan want to audition.

Bhagwan you are an exception. No dealer is going to have Morel Supremes, Scan 9900s or Esotars available for audition. DA's commment was meant for normal folk who are looking for Pioneer/Kenwood, JBL/Infinity, Polk, Boston, etc....and not the brands you are interested in.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:24   #10705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
They will. Just set the HPF to 100Hz or maybe higher to limit the effective power going to the speaker.
Hi,

Its been close to a month with the new Rockford Fosgate speakers (4" front and 6x9 rear). The vocals are very sharp and the overall clarity is a huge jump from my previous set.

Observations:

The sound on Fad:0 and Bal:0 is rear biased. Feels as if the sound is coming from the rear. Shifts to front only when Fad Fwd: 5.

Is this setting alright? Would adding an amplifier help? RMS of front speakers is 25w and rear is 50w. A saw a Sony which gave RMS 60wX4. This amp is costing around Rs.4500/-. JBL 644 is costing around Rs.7000/-.

I like the thump from the 6x9 and do not feel the need for an extra sub. So the amp for the 4 speakers only. The shop guy, also suggested a 2 channel amp, but then, wont I loose the Fader?

Please Advice.

MaSh
Old 14th February 2011, 17:20   #10706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
The sound on Fad:0 and Bal:0 is rear biased. Feels as if the sound is coming from the rear. Shifts to front only when Fad Fwd: 5.

I like the thump from the 6x9 and do not feel the need for an extra sub. So the amp for the 4 speakers only. The shop guy, also suggested a 2 channel amp, but then, wont I loose the Fader?
1. if you get the 2ch amp and use the HU for the rear channels you wont loose the fader. It is just that only the front speakers will be fed via the amp.

2. F0 R0 usually gives a sound that is balanced towards the rear. This is becuase the rear speakers use the large trunk as a cabinet and hence are more efficient. Front speakers are not as efficient so need more power to produce the same sound levels.

3. With an amp you can set the gain levels to suit your preference.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:04   #10707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. if you get the 2ch amp and use the HU for the rear channels you wont loose the fader. It is just that only the front speakers will be fed via the amp.

2. F0 R0 usually gives a sound that is balanced towards the rear. This is becuase the rear speakers use the large trunk as a cabinet and hence are more efficient. Front speakers are not as efficient so need more power to produce the same sound levels.

3. With an amp you can set the gain levels to suit your preference.
Thanks Navin for such a prompt response.

So understanding you correctly, I should go for a 2 Channel amp and not a 4 channel? Connect it's two channels to the two front speakers and leave the rear speakers to be powered by the HU? Would this correct the balance and allow all the 4 speakers to play at their full potential?

Coming to the amp, Sony is what I saw and have not made up my mind on anything yet. Shops close to my home stock Sony mainly, hence got their quotes. Sony XM-GTX6022, a 2 channel Amp gives RMS 60wX2 and a JBL GT5-A402E gives 40wX2.

Coming back to a 4 channel amp for a little while. If I feed all 4 speakers by the amp, by my logic, it would make the rear speakers even louder and further the ruin the stage, right? Is Setting the gain settings similar to fading functionality?

Am open to all advices and suggestions to have a good sound stage in the car.

MaSh
Old 15th February 2011, 10:59   #10708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Thanks Navin for such a prompt response.

So understanding you correctly, I should go for a 2 Channel amp and not a 4 channel? Connect it's two channels to the two front speakers and leave the rear speakers to be powered by the HU? Would this correct the balance and allow all the 4 speakers to play at their full potential?

Coming to the amp, Sony is what I saw and have not made up my mind on anything yet. Shops close to my home stock Sony mainly, hence got their quotes. Sony XM-GTX6022, a 2 channel Amp gives RMS 60wX2 and a JBL GT5-A402E gives 40wX2.

Coming back to a 4 channel amp for a little while. If I feed all 4 speakers by the amp, by my logic, it would make the rear speakers even louder and further the ruin the stage, right? Is Setting the gain settings similar to fading functionality?

Am open to all advices and suggestions to have a good sound stage in the car.

MaSh
Nope what I said was that by correctly adjusting the gain settings on the amplifier you can make the front channels louder than the rear. This applies to either a 2 ch. amp or 4 ch. amp.

What I said was that if you only got a 2ch. amp you will still NOT loose the fader; which was an aphrehension of yours.

Given the small price difference between a 2 ch. amp and a 4 ch. amp I'd recommend a 4ch. amp.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:54   #10709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Nope what I said was that by correctly adjusting the gain settings on the amplifier you can make the front channels louder than the rear. This applies to either a 2 ch. amp or 4 ch. amp.

What I said was that if you only got a 2ch. amp you will still NOT loose the fader; which was an aphrehension of yours.

Given the small price difference between a 2 ch. amp and a 4 ch. amp I'd recommend a 4ch. amp.
Ahh I knew I was missing something. 4 Channel it is then. Let me research on 4 channels and come back if I have any more queries.

Thank You so much.

MaSh
Old 15th February 2011, 14:50   #10710
Distinguished - BHPian

Mashmash, even if you are not using 4-channels. Its always best to invest in a 4-channel amp than 2-channel considering not much difference in pricing.

Those extra 2-channels may come handy when you perhaps add a woofer in future.

Btw, IMO, Sony brand is generally frowned upon when it comes to ICE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks