Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 13:38   #10681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
... Just curious, what does the installer have to do to the converter to reduce the hiss?
Check if a different LoC gives less or no hiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
... will my 4" JBL in front be able to take the amp's power? ...
They will. Just set the HPF to 100Hz or maybe higher to limit the effective power going to the speaker.
Old 28th January 2011, 15:04   #10682
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Thanks Navin. The head unit is decent I guess. Will check the model number and post back. However can you suggest some model numbers of speakers for the front (JBL preferred due to availability reasons) ? I am desperate to get the front speakers changed first and then will decide about the rest if my experience is not good even after changing the front speakers.

I also have to check if the HU has a provision for fitting an amplifier or not.
Since I dont know if the WagonR has 4" in the dash or 6" in the door I cant say which speakers to get. JBL makes both sizes; talk to your car audio retailer.

Best if the HU has pre outs for the front and rear so you do not loose the fader.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:53   #10683
Senior - BHPian

WagonR has 4" on the dash, firing into the windshield. No door location, unlike Indica which has both. Some jugaad can be done to put a 6.5" on the door, right?
Old 29th January 2011, 02:31   #10684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Since I dont know if the WagonR has 4" in the dash or 6" in the door I cant say which speakers to get. JBL makes both sizes; talk to your car audio retailer.

Best if the HU has pre outs for the front and rear so you do not loose the fader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
WagonR has 4" on the dash, firing into the windshield. No door location, unlike Indica which has both. Some jugaad can be done to put a 6.5" on the door, right?
I got the JBL GTS 204 speakers for the front for around Rs. 1342/-. I am not an audiophile and they seem fine to me till now. I will be using the Sony Head Unit and the JBL GTO 938 at the rear for now as I spent on alloys today.

Please advise if this setup is fine. Seems fine to me except at very loud volumes when the speakers start cracking.
Old 29th January 2011, 10:46   #10685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got the JBL GTS 204 speakers for the front for around Rs. 1342/-. I am not an audiophile and they seem fine to me till now....Please advise if this setup is fine. Seems fine to me except at very loud volumes when the speakers start cracking.
Yes 4" speakers have limited bass capability and hence they will crack at moderate levels if there is bass.

One option is to use a "bass blocker" for them which is simply 2 470uf caps wired back to back in series with each 4" speaker.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:24   #10686
BHPian

Quote:
Yes 4" speakers have limited bass capability and hence they will crack at moderate levels if there is bass.

One option is to use a "bass blocker" for them which is simply 2 470uf caps wired back to back in series with each 4" speaker.
I will ask my dealer if he can do that for me. By the way, what is the next thing to do if I wish to upgrade my ICE? Will adding a sub woofer/bass tube/ amplifier benefit me or stop this high volume cracking in any way?

Current setup now is as follows:

Front: JBL GTO S204 4" speakers
Rear: JBL GTO 938 speakers
HU: Sony Xplod HU (Could not find the model number on it. Will look at it closely again.)

I don't want to spend for anything over the top but just want to save up for a good value for money upgrade to this system in the near future.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:20   #10687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will ask my dealer if he can do that for me. By the way, what is the next thing to do if I wish to upgrade my ICE? Will adding a sub woofer/bass tube/ amplifier benefit me or stop this high volume cracking in any way?
When you add the bass blaocker to the 4" you will find that the front will loose a significant ammount of bass but the resultant sound wil be cleaner.

A subwoofer basically operates between 30-100Hz and allows relief to the smaller 4-6" speakers in your car.

A sealed box sub made of MDF will ofer tighter bass (but less voume of bass) than a tube sub.
Old 31st January 2011, 17:50   #10688
Distinguished - BHPian

HAd posted my query in the what ice @ what price thread, just realised it might be more appropriate here. Mods, please delete the post from the wrong thread.

I will be booking a Fiat Punto very soon & am looking at a dual DIN HU for my car. I am looking at a non touchscreen dual DIN HU and would like to keep the price below 15k (with B/W), the lower the better.

Based on my research, I found the following options
1. JVC KW-XR610
2. Sony WX-GT77UI
3. Kenwood MP3110/5110

Can anyone help with prices & suggest which one I should go for. I am planning on adding JBL components up front coupled with the Infinity 6032i speakers at the rear. I will be adding an amplifier at a later stage
Old 1st February 2011, 00:02   #10689
BHPian

Quote:
When you add the bass blaocker to the 4" you will find that the front will loose a significant ammount of bass but the resultant sound wil be cleaner.

A subwoofer basically operates between 30-100Hz and allows relief to the smaller 4-6" speakers in your car.

A sealed box sub made of MDF will ofer tighter bass (but less voume of bass) than a tube sub.
The guys at the dealer's place looked confused when I asked them about the bass blocker thing. I don't want to risk making them fiddle with anything right now as the warranty also might go kaput if they mess up something on my insistence.

So I should add a sub woofer next? I can't understand what do you mean by MDF.

Also, aren't there any good ready made sub woofers available in the market which would suit my setup? I am new to all this and going for custom made stuff might not be very feasible for me at the moment.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:16   #10690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am looking at a non touchscreen dual DIN HU and would like to keep the price below 15k (with B/W), the lower the better.
Based on my research, I found the following options
1. JVC KW-XR610
3. Kenwood MP3110/5110

I will be adding an amplifier at a later stage
There is little to choose between these 3. I'd consider which ever one has the best ipod controls.

Quote:
So I should add a sub woofer next? I can't understand what do you mean by MDF.
Also, aren't there any good ready made sub woofers available in the market which would suit my setup?
Yes there are ready made subwoofer boxes from brands like JL Audio, Infinity, etc..

MDF Medium Density Fiberboard. It is a blend of adehsive compund and wood chips and is cheaper than Marine grade plywood. It does not warp as it is fiberboard and due to it cost/performance ratio it is ofnte used in the manufacture of loudpseakers.
Old 1st February 2011, 14:21   #10691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
They will. Just set the HPF to 100Hz or maybe higher to limit the effective power going to the speaker.
Thank You so much for your advice and responding to my queries.

Drove down to Bangalore from Hyderabad. Visited Evo and on advice changed all 4 speakers to Rockford Fosgate . The sound quality is much much better now. Wanted to add an amp too, but was running short of time. Probably in my next visit there, which would be very soon.

Bitten by the ICE bug.

MaSh
Old 1st February 2011, 16:41   #10692
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, i am changing the current setup a little and will be running the sub and front compos using a Infinity Ref475A AMP.

1. What gauge Power cable shall i use ? the amp is rated at 75x4 max.

2. Which type of fuse shall i use ?? AGU/ANL/AFS i dont know exactly what it means?

3. What should be the rating of fuse if Max Current Draw is 72A and the AMP has 2x35A fuses.

Thanks

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 1st February 2011 at 16:50.
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:20   #10693
BANNED

A quickie.Is it possible to change the speakers(all 4) in a Vento and not cut/affect any stock wiring.I have booked Highline but really unhappy with the stock ICE.I know many people have changed thier HU but i dont think it will make much difference to the SQ.

So was thinking can a good installer install new speakers and may be relay new wiring for sub/amp as well without violating warranty? All digs are welcome
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:18   #10694
Senior - BHPian

@cuteavaya, yes one can. If you intend to get a sub and an amp, look for a Blaupunkt THA555pnp (4 channels for the speakers + 1 sub channel). This is a drop-in addition and does not require any cables to be cut. You also need to by the car-specific harness adapter for the same. The sub would need a bit of wiring from the amp to the sub. Power cables etc. need not be changed, since this is a Class D amp and draws much less current than the usual Class AB amps.

You can get a Blau, JBL or Bull sub to go with it. Ask around in Gurgaon / Delhi.

PS: Beware! Once the bug bites you and you get the understanding of good music reproduction, you will realize soon that the HU replacement produces a not-so-subtle improvement.

Last edited by DerAlte : 3rd February 2011 at 16:20.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:13   #10695
BANNED

@DerAlte

Thanks for the reply.I knew the 4 speakers may not be an issue; was worried about the amp and the sub. and cant do without good acoustics now, i guess my current setup in swift has spoilt me for ever.

On the HU replacement part, I am still unsure. My personal view (and I consider myself a student and nothing else) is that the source unit is not a major player in the sound quality of an audio system,all the source needs to do is get a clean signal it does not take a very expensive, ultra-high quality source to do that.Ofcourse if you are looking for specific pre-outs or other features, its a different case.As long as the Hu reproduces good sound from the recorded material its job is done, now upto the Amp and the loudspeakers.

But I am sure open to differing opinions.Everyone is most welcome

PS: will look at the Blau 5 channel one, Any specific sub you recommend for Vento? I know its my ears who are the best judge but want to get down to fewer options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks