Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 13:25   #10411
BHPian

Hello Gurus, I currently have an esteem, upgrading to a cedia.

My present setup in my esteem is Pioneer HU, with Octane 6" components, sony amp, kicker in the rear and a 10" earthquake sub, I listen to only trance, and mostly from Armin and Tiesto, this is the only music I listen to, my present setup rocks my world and am happy with it, as I like my music to be rich and punchy.

Now since moving to a new car, is there a way I can move this setup there or should I look at a brand new one, if I should, what is the setup I should look.

Disclaimer- I might be a frog in the well mode, so pls suggest the best setup for my music requirements, budget is something I can look from 70K to 1Lck.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:18   #10412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Disclaimer- I might be a frog in the well mode, so pls suggest the best setup for my music requirements, budget is something I can look from 70K to 1Lck.
My nephew listens to Armin and Tiesto. He tested out a few (JBL, Pio, GZ) components when he got his car ICEd and settle with GZ subs and 6x9s in the rear powered by JBL amps.

He likes the kick he gets. I find it over powering (it gives oldies like me and his dad a headache) but it is his car and his music.

Armin, Tiesto and the like have a lot of midbass and bass energy. A 6x9 + 12" combo would be a minimum to keep the beat going. I'd even suggest a pair of 12" if you can afford it (space and money wise). Stick to either a very tight bass reflex enclosure (tuning would have be to well done) or a sealed box (which means you will need a lot more power to achieve the same SPLs).

I'd HPF the 6x9s at about 50hz so as not to overlaod them with bass energy.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:58   #10413
Senior - BHPian

Additional Woofers for Integrated system

Hey Sam

Please suggest if I can add 2 sub-woofers to the integrated audio system in my Indica Vista. The system comes with 6 speakers, 4 speakers in the 4 doors and 2 tweeters in the front.

Also, I do not want to kill the space in the boot by adding the additional speakers. Already, Vista boot space is average.

Please suggest.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:08   #10414
BHPian

Got the dream HU

Well i just got my hands on an Alpine 9887 so now i have:
1. Alpine 9887 HU
2. Morel Tempo 6 front components
3. DLS Oval 962

The last major investment left is a 4-channel Amp to drive these speakers.
I am looking for an amp cabable of driving these speakers (around 100WX4 RMS @ 4Ohms)

Gurus please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Hello Gurus,

i presently own an OHC VTEC with an ICE setup below:
Alpine HU CDE 9872E with Ipod dock
front coaxial speakers (don't remember the brand)
rear JBL GTO(some series) 6X9

i am planning to finally upgrade the system and was looking at a few options:
i am happy with the HU as it is doing the basic work by playing my I pod. I am as of now not planning to put in a sub(can think of it later)

for the front i was looking at Morel tempo 6X component system and DLS oval 962 for the rear.
I need help in deciding on a good 4-channel(preferred) amp to drive the morels & DLS.

I can put in a sub & monoblock in the future if i feel the need. For now however i was hoping to get some feedback on an Amplifier as well as on my choice of speakers.

i prefer to listen to classic & modern/alternative rock.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:09   #10415
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a GZ 30T sub & Illusion EL 6.1 comps in my car, both which is powered by a JBL S644 amp. Now, i understand this amp is underpowered to power both of these.

Ok, just to be clear, right now i am not planning for any upgrade as such but i am a noob in these matters & i dont understand amp & sub specifications! so this is just to increase my knowledge for future upgrades!

So if someone can explain me what does the S644 specs mean & how is it underpowered for the GZ (if at all it is) & what amp (specs) would be ideal for such a setup, it would be really helpful.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:55   #10416
BHPian

Help with ICE

Howdy People !! I am researching for a ICE setup for my Swift. I don't know much about ICE just picked up and learnt things reading through various threads on TBHP and bugging a few members with queries on PM.

I am interested in setup which offers great Sound Quality but is not very heavy on pocket. Just want the system to sound clear and accurate even at high volume. Don't want an extra sub for now may be later. I don't have a big budget so I will opt at finalizing and buying on component at time as it will be easy on pocket and I wont have to compromise on quality for lack of funds. I have already bought two packs of damping sheets of Wurth brand (Will see there result and decide if I need to upgrade).

Please suggest some good brands of speakers. i am interested in using Comps in front doors and Co-axs in rear ones. The installer that i visit regularly visit suggests I go for a Alpine HU and Alpine or Polk Audio Speakers. Another Shop in the vicnity have suggested Pioneer or Kenwood HU with Rockford Speakers to be powered by the HU.He suggested there was not need for an Amp, which is quite contrary to what is suggested on the forum.

I am bit confused as I trust my regular installer/shop but I have not come across any detailed review on Alpine or Polk audio speakers. So guys who have used any of these brands to please your experience or your threads so that I can go through them. Gurus please suggest if I should go for these brands or any other good ones.

All the help will be highly appreciated...regards
Old 29th September 2010, 15:48   #10417
BHPian

Audio Brands

@ Diesel_maniac

I'm no audio guru,but this is my setup in the Swift.

1.Pioneer 3250 UB ( ~ Rs.5.5k without bill and warranty)
2.Bull Audio 6.5" Components.(Rs.5.4k with bill and warranty)

That's it!

Though do note , at high volumes, the sound does distort due to the custom tone control setting I have done which are a little high on the bass front to my liking.

If you keep every setting flat(equalizer, loudness et all) you can take it higher, If clean and clear vocals are desired.

If the want for clarity is still not satisfied, go for an Amplifier to get a clean output,along with the thump at high volumes.

Again audition each and every brand before buying
, do not go by the installers suggestion of a particular brand, he may pushing for it due to fatter margins on it, ask your current Installer to mock up the speakers in the car and take your favorite song along with you and get it played on that setup.

Brands are a subjective choice, again auditioning helps.
You are welcome to audition my setup.

Hope I've helped you out( or confused you further )

Cheers

GT
Old 29th September 2010, 17:00   #10418
BHPian

Hey GT,

Thanks for the help man. I am already thankful to you helping me with the wurth sheets, infact got to know about a lot of other stuff for use in Automobiles when I visited Wurth office. I would love to meet up and audition to your setup sometime. I myself also am not an expert on music/audio etc. Have been used to basic setups in my other cars, but wanted to go a step beyond in the swift as I love to drive and travel and hence need for a good audio setup. I am getting confused only due to the vastness of knowledge and options that this forum provides. I am simply not able to handle all this information surge after all this long period of oblivion to these things.

diesel
Old 30th September 2010, 07:53   #10419
Senior - BHPian

^^
Hi buddy,

I recently bought a pair of Rockford speakers for my dad & from first hand experience, I can tell you that they sound good. They have terrific clarity at any volume level, if that is what you are looking for.

I am no audiophile, but then after hearing Rockford & comparing with others like Pioneer, Sony, Kicker, Alpine (Type G), Blaupunkt & JBL, I can easily say that if clarity is what you want, Rockford is the best. You can actually make out the difference, especially compared to Pioneer & Sony. These seem to have a muffled sound & bigger bass compared to Rockford which has tremendous clarity at all frequencies. Kicker was also good, but it had a slight shrill associated with its output which I personally didn't like. Alpine appeared really bad, although I have no idea which series is good in them. Most people here have bought the R-series though from Alpine.

Sadly for me, my dad didn't like Rockfords, it was a surprise gift for him. He wants Pioneer. Plus, I also personally prefer a little extra bass.

In terms of VFM, get JBL, but of course if clarity is what you desire. However, I can also tell you for sure that if a little boom is what you are looking for, then Pioneers rock in that aspect with decent output at other frequencies at VFM prices & they are good quality as well.

As for HU, I suggest you get anything from Pioneer, JVC, Sony or Kenwood & invest the cash that you would save by not buying Alpine towards speakers.
Old 30th September 2010, 21:12   #10420
Senior - BHPian

The bug has bitten me!

Hey guys,

I had been looking for a set of Pioneers for my father & it so happened that I now want to upgrade my ICE setup. I was already planning to get the front 4" & rear 6*9 speakers replaced under a budget of around 5K, but then now I want to spend a little more & get a woofer & an amplifier as well.

My budget is not high, & I would like it to be as low as possible & I also don't want to tamper or cut any of the body panels (be it door or anywhere else).

I had initially thought of getting the front & rear speakers from JBL or Pioneer & add a 4-channel amp to it alongwith a JBL/Pioneer subwoofer. But spoke to a few friends & they say it's best if you get comps at front, leave the rear speakers & add a sub & amp. I would have been okay with comps except that I don't want to cut the body panels & spending on 4" comps doesn't appeal to me. So my setup options, from what I see are as below:

1. Rear 6*9 coaxials from JBL or Pioneer, coupled to a woofer & an amp.

2. Same as (1), but also add a 4" speaker set (JBL/Pioneer) for the front.

Can anybody suggest any more options? My budget is around 10K (plus/minus 2K).

Some questions:

1. Any idea on V12 amps? Have heard few good things about them from knowns.

2. How do I know what sort of an amplifier would suit a particular woofer & speaker set? Should the amp give out the same wattage as the combined wattage of the woofer & speakers? What's the calculation in basics that I should keep n mind while buying. I ask because I might be buying things from different places.

3. Suggestions between Pioneer, JBL or any other brand for woofer. Minimum price & decent quality (both audio output & durability).

4. Can a dual coil subwoofer (1400W option in Pioneer) be only powered by a monoblock, or can even a 4 channel be used by combining its two channels?

5. If I go with either of the options suggested above, then which 6*9 speakers should I opt for between JBL & Pioneer? I am assuming that other brands like Polk & Hertz would be quite expensive in comparison to JBL/Pioneer.

I apologize for the long post, but please help me.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 30th September 2010 at 21:20.
Old 30th September 2010, 21:20   #10421
BHPian

@blackfire_9
I've had my share of dealing with 4" speaker restricted cars.
Here's what I'd suggest for a budget of 10k.

Amp - Kenwood M845/JBLS644 ~5k
Sub - Blaupunkt 10" sub - GTw 1000 ~ 2.5k
Sub Box - 0.6cu ft ~ 1k
Wiring + Install ~ 1.5k

Cross the Blaupunkt sub at 120Hz, it's a very transparent sub and you won't feel the absence of mid-bass. The front 4" co-axials can play well down till 120Hz. I am going for a very similar install for a friend's Beat. Damn! 4" speaker slots should be banned in cars!
Old 1st October 2010, 08:08   #10422
Senior - BHPian

^^Hey buddy, thanks for your prompt response, well appreciated.

Hasn't Blaupunkt shut shop in India since almost about 2 years now? Due to this concern, I am a little apprehensive about buying any Blaupunkt stuff. Any other options in JBL or Pioneer for a sub? Also, do you suggest adding 6*9s at the rear or simply just have the 4". And I totally agree about banning the 4" slots. I can feel the need of a bigger slot now since I am planning to upgrade. I am sure a simple 6" inch speaker also sounds much better compared to 4".

Any answers for the other questions?

@all: Guys, please pour in your suggestions. I seriously need them since I have taken up this arduous task of getting my audio setup upgraded.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 1st October 2010 at 08:16.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:07   #10423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post

Hasn't Blaupunkt shut shop in India since almost about 2 years now? .
@blackfire

You're right , blau has infact shut shop in India,whatever is being sold is just old stock being dished out ,I would stay away from it,Correct me If I'm wrong.

I would recommend what lord said,
get a kenny/JBL amp, ~6k
good wiring ~1.5k
front 6.5" components and a sub in the back~6k+2.5k
I've seen JBL entry level sub go for as low as 2500(Grey I think),
Get a good box to extract maximum thump from the sub ~1k

This of course will be a little more than your budget.
I recommend doing this in stages.
First get front compos along with the AMP.
Then get the sub in the next stage+ damping.

I dont know much about V12 amps, AFAIK they are an Indian brand.Go for a kenwood ( pure VFM IMO)or a jbl.
Spend good money on an AMP and wiring to drive the speakers properly rather than regretting to spend 1-2K more in the future.

Amp's usually give anywhere from 40W RMS upwards per channel , Two channels for the components up front and two bridged for the sub.

Dual voice coils subs are out of the question in this price range.

I hope I've helped you, as I'm also in the same boat, and this is my upgrade plan, have already got the components and the damping done.

Cheers

GT
Old 1st October 2010, 18:53   #10424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
@blackfire

You're right , blau has infact shut shop in India,whatever is being sold is just old stock being dished out ,I would stay away from it,Correct me If I'm wrong.

I would recommend what lord said,
get a kenny/JBL amp, ~6k
good wiring ~1.5k
front 6.5" components and a sub in the back~6k+2.5k
I've seen JBL entry level sub go for as low as 2500(Grey I think),
Get a good box to extract maximum thump from the sub ~1k

This of course will be a little more than your budget.
I recommend doing this in stages.
First get front compos along with the AMP.
Then get the sub in the next stage+ damping.

I dont know much about V12 amps, AFAIK they are an Indian brand.Go for a kenwood ( pure VFM IMO)or a jbl.
Spend good money on an AMP and wiring to drive the speakers properly rather than regretting to spend 1-2K more in the future.

Amp's usually give anywhere from 40W RMS upwards per channel , Two channels for the components up front and two bridged for the sub.

Dual voice coils subs are out of the question in this price range.

I hope I've helped you, as I'm also in the same boat, and this is my upgrade plan, have already got the components and the damping done.

Cheers

GT
seems they transferred to 5 L populated small city here in jamnagar ...
...very much alive
Old 1st October 2010, 19:42   #10425
Senior - BHPian

^^hi guys,thnx for ur prompt replies. i was in the market today and i was able to get the following prices:
1. sub woofer ~ pioneer (rs. 2.6k, 14oo watts, dual voice coil)
jbl (rs. 2.6k, 1100 watts, single voice coil)
2. amp ~ sound barrier (rs. 3.4k, 5400 watss)
PanaSound (rs. 3.1k , 6400 watts)
note:both the amps have V12 written on the metal cover

do u think theres any chance that the subs myt be fake... the shopkeeper however did say that they are from the grey market. pease advice out of these 2 subs which one shud i go ahead with?

drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks