Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 11:45   #12361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
... I read one of your earlier posts where you had pointed that damping all doors for Safari would easily cross 10k. ...

BTW, for HU, only Kenwood?
10K IF you use a pricy damping material everywhere, including firewall and floor. Fortunately, one doesn't have to - 5K is a good enough budget. The rear door one can damp by stuffing cotton waste.

Kenwood because it has the best sound. Pioneer, Clarion and JVC are not bad. Sony the issue is reliability, and it is usually the cheapest.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 11:55   #12362
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The rear door one can damp by stuffing cotton waste.
Wont the cotton waste get damped with water while raining and can close the water channels in the door? It also can act as a catalyst for rusting (wet cloth). A wet cloth can smell bad during rainy season too.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:04   #12363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Wont the cotton waste get damped with water while raining and can close the water channels in the door? It also can act as a catalyst for rusting (wet cloth). A wet cloth can smell bad during rainy season too.
The rear (5th) door cavity in a Safari and Scorpio doesn't suffer from water ingress.

OTOH, one can't use cotton waste in the other doors as it would prevent the window from moving.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:41   #12364
Senior - BHPian

Hello Gentlemen,

I have searched the forum for Spark ICE and got some valueable information too. However, still a bit confused as to the kind of ICE i should go for, as the replacement for stock ICE of LT model.

Specifically, i am confused whether to go for components or coaxials in the front. Since the size is only 4 inch, i fear that coaxials will not give a very good output. So here goes, looking for for your help.

Would also appreciate if you could point to a reliable installer in Bangalore - since i am new to this place.

1. Your Car: Chevrolet Spark LT 2012

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock 2 DIN HU+4 speakers (2 in dash and 2 in rear tray)

3. Your Budget: 15k
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Generally don't have any specific preference, but i prefer decent bass (not boom boom type though) and good clarity.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : No.

Last edited by DCEite : 30th October 2013 at 11:45.
Old 30th October 2013, 14:38   #12365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
... whether to go for components or coaxials in the front. Since the size is only 4 inch, i fear that coaxials will not give a very good output. ...
That is the main problem - 4" OE location. There aren't any popular brands selling 4" components in India.

* Look for Audio Systems MX100 4" components. Likely to be 8K. Otherwise look for Infinity Ref 4" components - difficult to find. The only alternative is to buy 4" components in US. There are plenty more there (avoid Boss, Pyle, PowerBass, Lanzar etc.). Look for Infinity Ref / Kappa, DLS, Focal K2 (don't know why it is so costly), MTX, CDT Audio etc.

* Coaxials are not too bad. If you are not prejudiced against Pioneer speakers, audition their 4" coaxials (1.5K IIRC), clear and not muddy. JBL 4" is a bit treble-heavy (not bright) but have a distinct sibilance

* Both work well off the HU

* For 6x9, there is plenty of choice: JBL, Infinity, Polk, Focal Access, Bull - should be 4-7K. Should provide enough bass without sounding boom boom

* Since the 6x9s will be more efficient acoustically, you will have to set the Fader a bit to the front to hear the fronts well

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th October 2013 at 14:50.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:39   #12366
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte for the response.

The thing is that i want to replace the current stock setup which i assume has 4 inch coax in front, and want good upgrade in terms of sound quality. So i guess having a Pioneer 4 incher in place of stock (Nippon?) won't be that good an upgrade in terms of sound quality.

Having said that, i am open to front coax of any brand in case there is a significant improvement in SQ over stock setup.

For my benchmark i would like the SQ to be atleast as good as the WagonR i have back home - which has 6*9 Rockford Fosgate coaxials in both front and rear doors with JVC BT HU.

As far as 4 inch coax are concerned, do i have any better choice than the Pioneer? I don't mind couple of k's extra but it needs to be the next best thing than having a component.

Any suggestions on single din HU with BT ? I guess JVC X50BT would be good enough?

Last edited by DCEite : 30th October 2013 at 15:41.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:40   #12367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
If i rightly understand your need you need to just get a decent set of 6*9 Coaxials at the rear those will provide you with enought thump. I guess CNG will already rule out the set up for a sub in your case.
Personally i would recommend Polk dxi series ( i am already using them). They do have a very decent thump. or the others recommended here in your budget can be from JBL,Infinity etc.
An Update - Further to my query, the chevy is now sounding good -

Details of the upgrade -

HU - Pioneer - FH X759BT CD
Front Components - Hertz ESK165.3
Back Co axial - Hertz DSK 165.3
Amp - 4 channel Arc Audio XDi 804.

Total Spend so far - 30k.

Sub Pending as soon as i can get my hands on some money

Cheers !
Old 4th November 2013, 13:01   #12368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... So i guess having a Pioneer 4 incher in place of stock (Nippon?) won't be that good an upgrade in terms of sound quality. ...
You would be surprised!

Quote:
... Having said that, i am open to front coax of any brand in case there is a significant improvement in SQ over stock setup.

For my benchmark i would like the SQ to be atleast as good as the WagonR i have back home - which has 6*9 Rockford Fosgate coaxials in both front and rear doors with JVC BT HU. ...
Wonder how you mounted the 6*9s in front.

If you have had experience of mounting something not meant for OE locations, you have to go beyond 4" to get significant improvement. It is not difficult to get FG enclosures made to mount 6.5" components or coax on the doorpad, shallow enough not to intrude into the cabin significantly. That is how @blueraven (Satya) had done it in his Zen (search, there will be a very old thread). The objective of the 'enclosure' (it is just a mounting plate, really) is to mount the 6.5" midbass in a way that it's magnet doesn't foul with the window glass.

Quote:
... Any suggestions on single din HU with BT ? I guess JVC X50BT would be good enough?
Since you are used to the features, controls and sound signature of JVC HUs, sure that is a good choice.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:40   #12369
Senior - BHPian

Guys, for my Safari Storme, I am getting the stock speakers replaced by the following:

Front Components - JBL GTO-S649C

Question: Would these be better than the JBL GTO-609C ?

Rear Coaxials - JBL GT6-S366

Question: Would these 3-way speakers be better than the 2-way GT6-S266 ?

I am going to be getting a 4-channel Sony Amp as well.

One other question:

The front components GTO-S649C are rated at 440W Peak (110W RMS), while the rear coaxials GT6-S366 are rated at 260W Peak (65W RMS).

The stock speakers have just 120W printed on the label on the backside.

Will the new JBL speakers have better output and quality compared to these stock speakers (front are components with tweeters, and rear are coaxials). The entire package would cost me approximately 15K with installment, wiring etc. thus asking if it would be worth it.

Not planning on a subwoofer as I need the space in the 3rd row for my kids. So I realise I will not get the add thump, but am ok with that compromise as long as the output and clarity/quality and depth of sound are a big improvement.

Would appreciate your advice please.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th November 2013 at 15:43.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:40   #12370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The stock speakers have just 120W printed on the label on the backside.
One suggestion -dont even look at these, or what's on these. Match the speakers to the HU/Amp.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 17:14   #12371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One suggestion -dont even look at these, or what's on these. Match the speakers to the HU/Amp.
Is that 120W the Peak Power or RMS - that's the basic question.

Bro, could you help me out with the choice of after market speakers in terms of the upgrade options for front components and rear coaxials I have mentioned in my previous post please?
Old 8th November 2013, 17:53   #12372
Distinguished - BHPian

No, Doc - those stock speakers are such crappy stuff that it's not worth checking even the label. Those speakers cant take even 6 or 7 volume level of the Stock HU.

Please start afresh, looking at the Amp's output & match your new speakers to that.

Reg the choice, I have Diamond Audio, and happy with those. You can also try Infiniti's or any other good set. See if you can audition the shortlisted stuff. That's your best bet.

No amount of written description can help you select a speaker as much as listening to them can.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 19:23   #12373
BHPian

First of all please list out a budget against each of the ICE items, it will help.

Component Speakers - listen to them first before finalising, there are many to choose from right from the budget friendly to the sky is the limit kinds.
JBL, Infinity, Bull(not sure if its still there), Focal - check with Bass&Trouble for any current offers on Focal available with him.

Damping - You definitely need to consider this for your install, its a good investment and helps the speakers produce more thump.

Amp - Many 4 channels amps to choose from, match them to your speakers. Focal, JBL, Kenwood, Hetz, Rockford Fosgate.

Wiring - Do keep adequate budget for a good quality RCA's and Amp wiring kit - Scosche, JBL, Audison, etc many to choose from.

Ahh and also the source, ho can we forget it - the HU thats where everything starts so do have a look at your Source Unit, listen to some good one with the speakers and amp you have chosen to find the difference in sound.

By the end of this I am sure you must be thinking the budget has gone for a toss, well thats what ICE forums do first.

Last edited by invincible7 : 8th November 2013 at 19:27.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 14:35   #12374

Hello audio gurus. I am facing a problem in setting up rear 3 way co-axials, preferebly 6*9 JBL GTO 949 in my Verito. The stock speakers are round 6 inches but the rear parcel tray is integrated to the sheet metal of the boot. I am attaching few pics for reference.I intend to install the 6*9s on Nippon stock HU.

The dealer are refusing to cut the metal to fix the 6*9s saying that its a precision job and may later pose undue vibrations in the boot as it will loose it's structural integrity. I don't have the budget for a bass tube ,and the dealer suggested I go for 6 inch round ones which can fit the stock hole in the rear. I am looking for good bass and crisp sound in the 4k range.I am really inclined to get the 949s.Please suggest what should be the course of action. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-imag0336.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-imag0341.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-imag0334.jpg  

Old 16th November 2013, 17:37   #12375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritoman View Post
Hello audio gurus. I am facing a problem in setting up rear 3 way co-axials, preferebly 6*9 JBL GTO 949 in my Verito. The stock speakers are round 6 inches but the rear parcel tray is integrated to the sheet metal of the boot. ...
There are 2 ways of doing this, both using MDF spacers.

1. If you don't mind a protrusion above the parcel shelf, the MDF spacer can be mounted on top of the parcel shelf, and covered with carpet material / felt matching the parcel shelf color. The MDF spacers are required to lift the speaker so that extra width of the 9" axis is accommodated in the hole. The spacer is first screwed into the location at the existing hole locations from bottom, and the speaker is then placed and screwed on from top. Expect the protrusion to be about 1-1.5" above the parcel shelf

2. If you do mind the protrusion, mount the speaker from inside, i.e. from the boot. In this case, you would need an MDF sheet cut in a way that there is enough space to take screws at the OE locations (refer your first pic, the plastic screw holders). Make sure that the hole in the MDF clears the rubber surround of the speaker, otherwise the surround will be gradually abraded while playing. The MDF will be mounted in place with screws from top (parcel shelf side), and then the speaker will be mounted from below. Don't worry that the top hole is 6.5" round - the bass produced by the 6x9s will come through nicely

A good installer will know what to do with MDF spacers. Even then, stand around so that you make sure everything is done properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks