Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 10:21   #12406
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Tricky. The octavia actually does accomodate comps both in the front and rear (using the chota jaggahs where you open the door)

Unfortunately, the tweeter then sort of fires at the elbows of the rear pax.
The advantage of using a 5.25 co-ax in the rear pod is that due to the angle of the glass on the notchback, you can actually hear some of the reflected highs upfront.
Mein gott, the man calculates angles of sound! - here is a question I asked elsewhere, and am asking here too - I have a 2013 Etios and I want to plunk in rear speakers. It has tweeters and weeny speakers in the front doors that sort of do the job at the front, but a little bit more clarity and sound towards the lower end would be appreciated.

Now from what I am given to understand, I have to go with the Etios accessories guys in my dealership, or risk the warranty (not mentioned, but hinted at). So the choices I got were:

1. Pioneer Speakers Oval with spacer rings 250w TS-G923
2. Sony speakers oval with spacer rings 550W X3-GT69422
3. Infinity speakers with spacer rings 360w PR-9603is primus

I figure the Infinity are better - what with Harman, 3 way control or some complexity etc.

So, the confusion is - do I need to plunk in Amps? or is the stock HU (reputedly a Pioneer model) enough to do justice to the Infinity speakers?
Old 10th January 2014, 16:40   #12407
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
... risk the warranty (not mentioned, but hinted at) ...
If 'hinted at', ask for substantiation - they will promptly start staring at the ceiling or floor seriously. There isn't any for car speakers. Most of them know less about ICE than your friendly neighborhood accessories shop.

Quote:
... So the choices I got were:

1. Pioneer Speakers Oval with spacer rings 250w TS-G923
2. Sony speakers oval with spacer rings 550W X3-GT69422
3. Infinity speakers with spacer rings 360w PR-9603is primus

I figure the Infinity are better ...
Go to an accessories shop, and ask them to demonstrate the speakers in your car. This will give you a good idea of the speakers' sound signatures. Pio is decent, Infinity is slightly better, and then there are a host of others - JBL, Polk, Bull etc.

Quote:
... So, the confusion is - do I need to plunk in Amps? or is the stock HU (reputedly a Pioneer model) enough to do justice to the Infinity speakers?
At the moment you don't need an amp. But, I am quite certain you will ask about an amp and sub as soon as you hear good ICE installations in other cars.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 17:15   #12408
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking to purchase some Morel speakers, but I am not able to locate the distributor in India. Could you please provide me some pointers.

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2014, 10:55   #12409
BHPian

I am looking to replace my OEM speakers in VW Vento. I do not want to modify wiring, or anything like that, it needs to be OEM replacement speakers.

Any suggestion is appreciated. I would like very neutral, not a bright sound.

Last edited by manjubp : 11th January 2014 at 11:07.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:12   #12410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
... Morel speakers, but I am not able to locate the distributor in India. Could you please provide me some pointers. ...
I may be wrong, but I think you could check with Preeti Trading Corporation in Mumbai and ask for who in your vicinity stocks Morel speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I am looking to replace my OEM speakers in VW Vento. ... I would like very neutral, not a bright sound.
The best way to know whether a particular brand / model is to your liking is to actually listen to it in your car. Replacing just the OE speakers is quite easy - (sort of) a plug-in replacement.

Avoid Polk, Hertz, even JBL, as these can be quite bright. Listen to Infinity, Boston, Morel, DLS, Rainbow, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate etc. and decide. A good shop would be able to give you an audition.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 10:05   #12411
BHPian

Hi,

Please suggest a good setup for Manza, for about 25K. I want to have the following -

1. A dual din HU. Touch screen isn't needed.
2. An amp.
3. Components for front doors.
4. Co-axial ovals for rear tray (Or should I replace the speakers in the door?)

Please tell me the brand/model I should go for and indicative price.

Regards

Nitin
Old 17th January 2014, 11:27   #12412
Senior - BHPian

Hi, My family owns a modest Eon. I dont flinch on sound. Plan to install a double din, something with the best quality sound. Is Pioneer the best choice, and could you please suggest a model from their 2014 lineup (Not necessarily with touch screen)? I have shortlisted 2 Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4, for the front doors only, in original specs. Are Focal speakers, being french, good? I have access to original Infinity as well.

Eon doesn't have provision for rear speakers, and I want to keep the look stock. You think Ill need an amp, as the installer in dubai insists I pick up a two channel. Reply much, much appreciated.

Avoid Polk, Hertz, even JBL, as these can be quite bright. Listen to Infinity, Boston, Morel, DLS, Rainbow, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate etc. and decide. A good shop would be able to give you an audition.[/quote]

Last edited by Sebring : 17th January 2014 at 11:30. Reason: Forgot to add detail
Old 17th January 2014, 11:44   #12413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

Please suggest a good setup for Manza, for about 25K. I want to have the following -

2. An amp.

Regards

Nitin
Which HU would you suggest -

Alpine - CDE W233E
Kenwood - DPX-5130BT
Sony - WX GT 88UI
Pioneer - FH X559UI
Pioneer - FH X759BT
Kenwood - DPX-U5120
Kenwood - DPX-U5130

Regards

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 17th January 2014 at 11:47.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:58   #12414
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Hope you got the sub. Have query, Im considering the Pioneer - FH X759BT. How do you rate it? Is there a better HU in their 2014 line up? A detachable front plate is important to me as well. Thx in advance.

Details of the upgrade -

HU - Pioneer - FH X759BT CD
Front Components - Hertz ESK165.3
Back Co axial - Hertz DSK 165.3
Amp - 4 channel Arc Audio XDi 804.
Old 17th January 2014, 12:00   #12415
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

2. An amp.

Regards

Nitin
Which component speaker would you suggest?

JBL - GTO S649C
Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R16-S
KICKER - ES65.2

Quote:
Hi,

2. An amp.

Regards

Nitin
Which oval speakers?

Infinity - Reference 9603ix
Polk Audio - DXI690
Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R1693
Polk Audio - DB691
JBL - GTO 949

Quote:
Hi,

2. An amp.

Regards

Nitin
Should I go for a 4-channel amp and drive the front components and rear ovals with it? Or a two-channel one will do?

Which amp should I go for? -

Blaupunkt - EMA 455
JBL - GT X646
Rockford Fosgate - R300
Kicker - EX450.4

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts.

How to use this feature? Click here.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th January 2014 at 14:00. Reason: Posts merged
Old 17th January 2014, 13:12   #12416
Senior - BHPian

front comps - I'm not really a big fan of those brands - try to get an infinity. use a GTO oval in the back if cost is an issue, else infinity there too. 4 channel only if you're planning to install a sub at some point. amping the rears is not really needed as they are pretty sensitive anyway
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 13:34   #12417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
front comps - I'm not really a big fan of those brands - try to get an infinity. use a GTO oval in the back if cost is an issue, else infinity there too. 4 channel only if you're planning to install a sub at some point. amping the rears is not really needed as they are pretty sensitive anyway
Thanks for your reply.

How many pre-outs I need in the HU for this kind of setup?

Which amp do you suggest for running a pair of JBL - GTO509C 5?

Blaupunkt - EMA 255
JBL - GT X424

Last edited by ntomer : 17th January 2014 at 13:39.
Old 18th January 2014, 16:08   #12418
BHPian

Dear Gurus,

Having a stock setup in i-gen i20, will be sticking with the OEM HU as I am quite happy with the layout and functionality.

To start with, I am planning for JBL Sub - CS1215B (Boxed enclosure) and 4 Channel JBL Amp - GTX - 646 which will help me with future component upgrade.

My current requirement is tight bass with no unnecessary boom effect.

My ultimate goal is to have a SQ and may install Infinity components after I spend some time with the Sub and Amp.

Also, what if i connect 2 channels of Amp with my current OEM front speakers?
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:21   #12419
BHPian

Hi,

I have bought a pair of JBL - GTO509C component speakers, whose specifications are -

Peak power handling: 225W
Power handling: 75W RMS
Recommended power: 5W – 200W RMS
Frequency response: 67Hz – 21kHz
Nominal impedance: 3 ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 92dB

I have also bought an amp - Blaupunkt EMA 255; it's specs are -

2-channel car amplifier
55 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (80 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
165 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
Class AB amp technology
selectable high-pass filter (80 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
variable low-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
bass boost (0, 6, or 12 dB at 45 Hz)
preamp and speaker-level inputs
preamp outputs
fuse rating: 25A x 1

Please tell me whether this amp would be adequate for the components; and at what settings I should run it.

This setup will be used with Kenwood - DPX-U5120 HU and Infinity - Reference 9603ix speakers. Are there any other points which must be taken care of while installing?

Regards

Nitin
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:00   #12420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Please tell me whether this amp would be adequate for the components; and at what settings I should run it. ...
Yes, the amp will do fine with the speakers.

For setting the amp (you will need someone to assist you in either listening, or turning amp knobs):
1. Set the gain control knob on the amp to 0, and also switch off any LPF/HPF setting
2. Set the HU volume to a point where the rear speakers sound comfortable in the rear seat (I assume the Infinity ovals are wired to HU, since you have a 2ch amp)
3. Gradually raise the amp gain control till you hear the front components just slightly louder than the rear speakers. At this point, you should have to bend into the rear seat area to hear the rear speakers. Remember, the rear speakers are putting out more bass than the front components, so compare voice or instruments in the mid region - ignore bass
* Mark this point on the gain control with a glass marker, so that you know where it was if someone fiddles with it later
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks