Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 14:04   #12526
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi
i have sony explod HU (CDX GT480us) system in my i10 and four door speakers sony (XS GTF 16252) i m thinking of installing a pair of speakers in the parcel tray. i have jbl gto 959 as an option but availability is an issue. so i look forward for your suggestions. I like clear bass. and my equalizer settings are mostly in a U shape giving me full bass and treble.
Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 20:58   #12527
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
... I like clear bass. and my equalizer settings are mostly in a U shape giving me full bass and treble. ...
Please set them to a 'flat line'. You are hearing the speakers the way you want, and not they way they sound naturally. If you then say you like "clear bass", that sounds contradictory.

There are other 6x9 coaxials in the market - Pioneer, Polk, Bull, Infinity. Please audition them - you will find a few of them better than the JBL 959.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 21:04   #12528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please set them to a 'flat line'. You are hearing the speakers the way you want, and not they way they sound naturally. If you then say you like "clear bass", that sounds contradictory.

There are other 6x9 coaxials in the market - Pioneer, Polk, Bull, Infinity. Please audition them - you will find a few of them better than the JBL 959.
actually i like music more than the vocals so that is the reason i keep it that way
Old 21st June 2014, 21:12   #12529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
actually i like music more than the vocals so that is the reason i keep it that way ...
You should realize that your mind will anyhow focus on what you want to listen (drum beats or guitar) and tune out / down what you don't - vocals - no matter what the system is. Unfortunately, you are mistakenly trying to bias the system, which is probably making the system sound worse overall.

This is quite unlike adjusting salt to your taste in a dish.
Old 21st June 2014, 21:16   #12530
BHPian

Quote:
You should realize that your mind will anyhow focus on what you want to listen (drum beats or guitar) and tune out / down what you don't - vocals - no matter what the system is. Unfortunately, you are mistakenly trying to bias the system, which is probably making the system sound worse overall.

This is quite unlike adjusting salt to your taste in a dish.
i l try flat line this week on your advice
Old 21st June 2014, 23:00   #12531
Senior - BHPian

I say he'll try it and he won't like it :P

While quality bass is good, quantity is still better in my book.

any for your current problem, sonil, your entire system is to blame. It's okay, for somebody who wants to listen to music in the car for a minimal budget if you want more bass, I'd try by (warning : hazardous to pocket)
1. ensure that the speakers are installed with wooden spacers in the door. Most installers will take a short cut and install the speakers directly on the plastic rings on the door. That gives majorly crappy bass. (approx cost - 1k + labour)
2. Rear tray and JBL ovals - this will ensure decent bass in the first place (cost 4.5K +1.5K)
3. JBL speakers in the front (3K or so)
4. Ideally a better HU in front as well, sony stereos tend to have weak bass, so something better would be nice when the sony dies (They usually die in 2-3 years :P)
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:02   #12532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I say he'll try it and he won't like it :P ...
Don't be so cynical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... While quality bass is good, quantity is still better in my book. ...
With what he has today, you must be joking.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:46   #12533
BANNED

U or say V equalizer setting use to be very famous during 90's now the trend is more of mid bass and people usually go flat or ever A shape, listening to trance in that setting is the best way to enjoy and most of the other music genre as well.
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:40   #12534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
U or say V equalizer setting use to be very famous during 90's now the trend is more of mid bass and people usually go flat or ever A shape, listening to trance in that setting is the best way to enjoy and most of the other music genre as well.
Spot on Ajay! I remember people knowing about music used to keep V equalizer setting (That includes me). I think music of that time had more vocals that is why people used to keep it V so that they can enjoy the music more.

However, today songs being inherently bass and treble heavy we are inclining towards a neutral spectrum. The change which I feel in the recent years is that between 2002 - 2009/10/11 people were fans of low frequencies coz it was a new thing for them. Remember Desert Rose song was known for its continuous low frequency music. Now I feel we are moving towards midbass with least intervention of sub frequencies. After all its tiring to listen lows for long. Good midbass feels fresh.
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:13   #12535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... people knowing about music used to keep V equalizer setting ...
So you think Sound / Recording Engineers knew / know jack about music? LOL!
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:33   #12536
BHPian

Quote:
So you think Sound / Recording Engineers knew / know jack about music? LOL!
Not that level man To me people "knowing about music" are those who at least know how to set an equalizer and aware of Hi mid lo etc. One of my best friends think that an equalizer is for time pass and it hardly makes a difference to him (his take: why waste time in all this technicalities, just relax and enjoy the lyrics). The V spectrum reminds me of movie Gupt era when my elder cousins used to keep the equalizers that way and gave a free advice of doing the same.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:22   #12537
BHPian

Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Hi,

I car met with an accident and while repairing service center has managed to lose one crossover unit. Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? Or the whole component speakers setup is down the drain?

Regards

Nitin
Old 25th June 2014, 14:38   #12538
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
... Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? ...
No, no one sells one crossover. Most don't even sell a crossover.

Your best bet is to go to a JBL service center and ask. They might have crossovers that can be salvaged from damaged components.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:45   #12539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I car met with an accident and while repairing service center has managed to lose one crossover unit. Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? Or the whole component speakers setup is down the drain?

Regards

Nitin
Quote:
No, no one sells one crossover. Most don't even sell a crossover.

Your best bet is to go to a JBL service center and ask. They might have crossovers that can be salvaged from damaged components.
It might be available from some of the online shopping. One example from eBay is below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20110...f14=108&ff19=0

I don't know if this is what you are looking for even

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 17:50   #12540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
It might be available from some of the online shopping. One example from eBay is below ...
Though this one is not the right one (it is for Soundstream components, not JBL; they are likely to be different), yes that channel is one possibility.

One would still prefer to get it from the JBL Service Center, as one can trust the genuineness and health of the cross-over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks