Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 15:21   #12586
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I auditioned a couple of 1DIN HU's today: fitted into my gypsy for more realism.

Liked the Pioneer P80RS - but he only had one from old stock - i suspect 2nd hand. He says its discontinued.

Also auditioned the Clarion CZ702 - quoted 15500. Very complicated operation IMO but sounded nice and seems to have all the checkmarks.

Also JVC R90 for around 12k. Sounded slightly tinnish but that could be the wrong setup?

Was keen to audition the Kenwood 8016 - but no one seems to have even heard of it! :(

What are the other alternatives? Need to take a final call by Sat.

Last edited by COUGAR : 6th August 2014 at 15:25.
Old 6th August 2014, 15:26   #12587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I auditioned a couple of 1DIN HU's today: fitted into my gypsy for more realism.

Liked the Pioneer P80RS - but he only had one from old stock - i suspect 2nd hand. He says its discontinued.
Hope you are not getting confused between P80rs and 80prs, both are different models as far as I know.
Old 6th August 2014, 15:37   #12588
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Hope you are not getting confused between P80rs and 80prs, both are different models as far as I know.
Called him to confirm: its DEH 80PRS
Old 6th August 2014, 16:57   #12589
BHPian

Quote:
If its 80PRS, I am surprised that its discontinued.

Quote:
Also auditioned the Clarion CZ702 - quoted 15500. Very complicated operation IMO but sounded nice and seems to have all the checkmarks.
Clarion CZ702A:- Even I liked it a lot, it had everything one would love to have in a HU and more. I agree that operations are a bit complicated, but you/tuner will tune it only once or twice and forget about it. Moreover most single din operations are a bit complex till one gets used to it.

Quote:
What are the other alternatives? Need to take a final call by Sat.
My suggestion is again based on my earlier experience while I was hunting for a HU for my Punto.

1) Give a good audition and pick the one that you think is good.

2) Keep some room for future upgrades, like 3 Pre-outs with at least 4Volts ( Gurus say, higher the voltage less interference, SN ratio.. etc ), Xover in HU is beneficial and convenient, DTA is a good to have feature as well.

3) Even if you buy a 50K HU, and use a 1K speakers, you man not be doing justice to the HU and it may still sound as good as a 15K HU. It's about striking the balance within your budget with right set of components. If your budget is 25K, it may be wise to go with 15K HU and 10K speakers and amp, than going with 22K HU and 3K speakers.

4) Most tuners can not tune the way you like it to sound, so be prepared to roll up your sleeves and experiment to suit your ears. That's where Xover and other settings in HU comes in to play. That way you can disable most/all settings in the amp and tune it from the convenience of your seat than getting under the seat to modify the amp settings, only to find that you need to go back and re do it again.

This again is based on my earlier research and may or may not be very accurate. Other ICE gurus here please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Cheers and do let us know once everything is done .
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 17:06   #12590
BHPian

Quote:
Called him to confirm: its DEH 80PRS
Its very much available in the market. None of the 2DIN HUs available in the market are SQ oriented, 80PRS is far betten than those. Its a very good entry level audiophile grade 1DIN HU.

Quote:
3 Pre-outs with at least 4Volts ( Gurus say, higher the voltage less interference, SN ratio.. etc )
Its nothing but a BS myth. A proper 2v (home audio has only 1.8v for the preouts) is more than enough for a properly matched setup.

Quote:
Xover in HU is beneficial and convenient
Its useful if you are planning for an active setup. For a passive setup, its only useful for sub cutoff which can be done at the amp level also.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 6th August 2014 at 17:08.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 18:19   #12591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Its very much available in the market. None of the 2DIN HUs available in the market are SQ oriented, 80PRS is far betten than those. Its a very good entry level audiophile grade 1DIN HU.
This fellow had only one unit and that looked like old stock.

ALso 80PRS does not show up on pioneer-india website.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:28   #12592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 2) Keep some room for future upgrades, like 3 Pre-outs with at least 4Volts ( Gurus say, higher the voltage less interference, SN ratio.. etc ), Xover in HU is beneficial and convenient, DTA is a good to have feature as well. ...
4V Pre-out - not necessary, even lower voltage is fine. All Amps have gain control. Less interference, S/N ratio etc. are technically true but practically imperceptible. DTA definitely, if one can afford it - makes the most impact on soundstage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
... (home audio has only 1.8v for the preouts) ...
Environments are not comparable, really, so shouldn't be used as an example. The RCA cable run in cars is much longer than home audio. Much more electrical interference too. People don't blink an eye when it comes to cost in home audio, but in a car most people balk at using RCA cables whose cost is comparable to HU or amp cost.

Quote:
... That's where Xover and other settings in HU comes in to play. That way you can disable most/all settings in the amp and tune it from the convenience of your seat than getting under the seat to modify the amp settings, only to find that you need to go back and re do it again. ...
No better work or what?

If done well the first time, one doesn't need to fiddle with settings. One touches HU Equalizer ONLY under extreme circumstances that speaker response needs to be moderated, for example when it is too bright. But then, why should one reach that situation? One takes an audition *precisely for that reason*. One must be sure of what one is getting, so that one is able to keep out modification of sound by HU.

Equalization at HU is quite different from Filter settings at Amp. Amps don't provide Equalizers.

Cross-overs at HU, as @::CMS:: explained, are useful only when one has an active system (each frequency band separately amplified). Such systems are neither easy to work with, nor cheap by any standards.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 19:14   #12593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No better work or what?
Sir, I need some excitement from my monotonous job, so my ICE setup is at the receiving end right now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
4V Pre-out - not necessary, even lower voltage is fine. All Amps have gain control. Less interference, S/N ratio etc. are technically true but practically imperceptible.
Quote:
Its nothing but a BS myth. A proper 2v (home audio has only 1.8v for the preouts) is more than enough for a properly matched setup.
Thank you both, I did now know that. When I bought my HU, I was told a strict no to anything below 4V by the installer giving some reasons which were all bouncers to me.

Quote:
Cross-overs at HU, as @::CMS:: explained, are useful only when one has an active system (each frequency band separately amplified). Such systems are neither easy to work with, nor cheap by any standards.
Now this got me thinking, so now I have disabled everything in my amp other than gain and running X over in HU ( Kenwood 8016BT ). As it was too inconvenient to get under the seat and keep fiddling with the changes. Is it OK to do that or should I revert back to X over setting in amp?. Will there be any difference in the sound stage in both scenarios?.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:31   #12594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I need some excitement from my monotonous job, so my ICE setup is at the receiving end right now .

Quote:
... disabled everything in my amp other than gain and running X over in HU ( Kenwood 8016BT ). As it was too inconvenient to get under the seat and keep fiddling with the changes. Is it OK to do that or should I revert back to X over setting in amp?. Will there be any difference in the sound stage in both scenarios?.
Not much difference. If not available at HU, one sets at Amp. I use the HU XOs on my x994 - same as 8016. Once set, one doesn't change it unless speakers are changed.

What you must set is the TA on 8016. Measure speaker to ear distance with tape and set.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 18:25   #12595
BHPian

I am upgrading my honda city 2014 sound system. I have JBL CS60.4 (4 channel) and JBL CS60.2 (2 Channel) amps and a JBL 1215B Subwoofer with me from my previous car and would like to use them at the moment in the City. Will get Infinity Kappa comps & co-ax to go along for the front and rear doors. Also want to retain the stock headunit.

Here is where I need help. My Previous car headunit had 3 Preouts for the front/Rear/Sub and the 2 amps were simply connected using RCA's to the headunit. Now in city there is no Preouts. So would need to use a Hi-lo converter(thinking of using audison sli4. any other good option) to convert the 4 Speaker outs to RCA Outs. What is the best way of connecting this 4 RCA's to the 2 Amps? I mean
1. Should I connect the 4 RCAs to the CS60.4 (which would drive the 4 speakers) and then use the RCA output of CS60.4 to connect to CS60.2(which would drive the Sub) or
2. Should i connect the 2 front RCAs to CS60.4. Then use the RCA Y Splitter and split the Rear RCAs and connect it to CS60.4 & CS60.2? or
3. Should i connect the 2 rear RCAs to CS60.4. Then use the RCA Y Splitter and split the Front RCAs and connect it to CS60.4 & CS60.2?
What would be the Pro/Cons of each option.

Regards
Manoj
Old 9th August 2014, 08:25   #12596
BHPian

Fruitless day checking a dozen stores listed in the NCR directory - Lajpat Nagar to Gurgaon! :( None of them had either of the models I was looking to audition: Pioneer 80PRS or the Kenwood 8016. Some of them said a unit could be arranged from somewhere else if i confirmed.

No chance of auditioning a new piece? Any stores in NCR I could check?
Old 9th August 2014, 10:37   #12597
BHPian

Hi,

I am trying to understand - whether the pioneer HU MVH-X360BT, which has two rear output sockets marked as subwoofer output, can take a sub without any need for amp?

Does it help me get better sound quality with my stock speakers?

What kind of subs, if feasible in this configuration, should I look for?

Please advise.

Thanks

Himanshu
Old 9th August 2014, 10:54   #12598
BHPian

Quote:
Pioneer 80PRS or the Kenwood 8016
80PRS is available in Bangalore, I saw an installation done last week also.
*I have replied for your PM, plz check.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:46   #12599

2 Din Stereo for Hyundai Getz

Hello everyone,

My name is Shweta and I am from Mumbai.

I need a serious help from you all Gurus. I own Hyundai Getz GLS 2005 model. Recently I thought of changing the Audio system completely. I bought Sony amp 4 channel, JBL bass tube, JBL speakers in the rear and 2 pioneer in front.

Now its time to change the HU.

I need a HU which is 2 DIN and has inbuild bluetooth. My budget is 10K. i found some of the systems fitting into my budget, which are:

JVC - KW-R910BT: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jvc-...ith/1557320138

Sony WX GT99BT: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sony...-usb/248155636

Pioneer FH-X759BT: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Pioneer-FH-X7...292c51f&_uhb=1

Please let me know if any of the above are good or request you to please recommend me one which will go well with my other audio setup (mentioned above)

I have one more question, which is very important. Since I am using Getz 2005 model. I see it has space for 2 dins but is it possible to fit all the 2 din systems in it. I see some of the HUs are 6 inches, some are 7 inches wide.

Request you to please help me choosing the best system for my car as i am a music freak. hehe

Thanks
Shweta
Old 10th August 2014, 12:01   #12600

Re: 2 Din Stereo for Hyundai Getz

ok i just measured the combined din size. It is 4 x 9 inches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks