Old 22nd December 2014, 09:42   #12736
BHPian

Hi,

Need suggestion for a budget level four channel amplifier

Car - Chevrolet Aveo

HU - Pioneer FH-X759BT

Front Components - PHD Metal Series FB 86 MT. Currently driven by head unit

Subwoofer - Rockford Fosgate R1. Currently driven by a JBL 2 channel amplifier

Please provide suggestions for 4 channel amp which can handle the above equipment, components and sub. Later might add rear co-axials and run 4 speakers on 4 channel amp and the sub on existing 2 channel amp.

Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:20   #12737
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Hi,

Need suggestion for a budget level four channel amplifier
Car - Chevrolet Aveo
HU - Pioneer FH-X759BT
Front Components - PHD Metal Series FB 86 MT. Currently driven by head unit
Subwoofer - Rockford Fosgate R1. Currently driven by a JBL 2 channel amplifier
Please provide suggestions for 4 channel amp which can handle the above equipment, components and sub. Later might add rear co-axials and run 4 speakers on 4 channel amp and the sub on existing 2 channel amp.
Thanks!
There are quite a few 4 ch. amps that can do this. Most common would be JBL, Kenwood and Pioneer. I would take the Kenwood of the 3 based on pass reputation alone, but the models change so quickly that I cant keep track of exact model numbers. Your installer will be able to help you better.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:44   #12738
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There are quite a few 4 ch. amps that can do this. Most common would be JBL, Kenwood and Pioneer. I would take the Kenwood of the 3 based on pass reputation alone, but the models change so quickly that I cant keep track of exact model numbers. Your installer will be able to help you better.
Thanks Navin Sir. I'm being offered Cerwin Wega and Lightning Audio, never heard them before but now they are like everywhere in the market. Please throw some light.

Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:46   #12739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... JBL, Kenwood and Pioneer. .. cant keep track of exact model numbers. ...
JBL GT-X646, Kenwood KAC-M846, Pio GM 6500F. All around 6K street. Plus cables.
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:19   #12740
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Need suggestion for a budget level four channel amplifier .....
Please provide suggestions for 4 channel amp which can handle the above equipment, components and sub...

Hi yogiii, ideally you should look for a 4 channel amplifier, with a laid back sound signature, because IMHO your existing equipment, particularly the Pioneer HU and PHD components, are a little bit on the brighter side.

Look out for brands like Helix and rainbow, a little expensive at around 15-20k for the Helix B4 or the rainbow Beat 4, but these are really good at taming a bright set of speakers.

You can use 2 out of 4 channels to power the components and bridge the other 2 channels to power the sub, but, in a hatchback this set up works fine but because your car is a sedan, the sub might just demand a mono or a dedicated amplifier!
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:40   #12741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I'm being offered Cerwin Wega and Lightning Audio, never heard them before ...
These are 'known' brands, but it would be prudent to stick to brands that have local Service Centers which you will need when something goes wrong.

Some brands are pushed more because the seller gets a higher margin on those products. A good seller will support you long after he has sold you something, but usually sellers will take failures as an opportunity to try and sell you something else.
Old 27th December 2014, 13:33   #12742
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking to change my OE HU of the Fortuner to one that has a large screen and bluetooth. Budget is around 15k. Please advice a HU that will fit perfectly into the Fortuner's dash.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:58   #12743
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I am looking to change my OE HU of the Fortuner to one that has a large screen and bluetooth. Budget is around 15k. Please advice a HU that will fit perfectly into the Fortuner's dash.
Blaupunkt Philadelphia? Doesn't seem to be in the budget though. Delphi RCD510 might be in the budget.

I would like to upgrade the ICE of my Polo GT TSI.
I am happy with the HU and would like to know what is the preferred priority.
1.Speakers
2.Amp
3.Sub
Which of the following should be done to get better sound?
I absolutely don't want my warranty to die, so please suggest appropriately.
Thanks a ton.
Old 31st December 2014, 11:53   #12744
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

Couple of questions I have before upgrading my Scorpio's current audio set-up:
  1. How much difference does an HU make to sound quality? I currently have a Blaupunkt LA 500 HU, and am being told by my ICE guy that I should upgrade to a Pioneer. The LA 500 is fairly basic, and seems to me to be doing the intended job. Will the upgrade to a good Pioneed HU make a significant difference?
  2. I currently have Rockford Fosgate Punch Series component speakers installed and want to upgrade to something much better. I want component speakers that provide balanced sound that is not too bright, or too bassy. Any suggestions? I have a budget around Rs. 40K for the complete speaker set-up, assuming that I have to replace my rear speakers as well, which are currently Polk Audio 6x9
Old 31st December 2014, 17:48   #12745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
  1. How much difference does an HU make to sound quality? I currently have a Blaupunkt LA 500 HU, and am being told by my ICE guy that I should upgrade to a Pioneer. The LA 500 is fairly basic, and seems to me to be doing the intended job. Will the upgrade to a good Pioneed HU make a significant difference?
  1. Unless your HU lacks some essential functionality, would not advise you to switch: e.g. I changed my Swift's Kenwood HU to one that supports USB since most of my music is in digital form. For the Vento I went for the JVC BT90 which comes with time alignment. If it is indeed doing the intended job, it shouldn't be one of your priorities IMO.
    Quote:
  2. I currently have Rockford Fosgate Punch Series component speakers installed and want to upgrade to something much better. I want component speakers that provide balanced sound that is not too bright, or too bassy. Any suggestions? I have a budget around Rs. 40K for the complete speaker set-up, assuming that I have to replace my rear speakers as well, which are currently Polk Audio 6x9
Will wait for the gurus to comment on this. 40K sounds like a neat budget to play with.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 16:49   #12746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Hi Gurus,

Couple of questions I have before upgrading my Scorpio's current audio set-up:
1. A Head Unit makes a lot of difference to ICE set up, because its the primary source where music is converted, amplified and processed before being supplied to the speakers, or amplifiers. An HU is at least as important as any other equipment in the set up!

Pioneer HUs are the most user friendly lot, not the best at SQ, but not very bad either. Go for a variant with bluetooth, it aids convenience when it comes to taking phone calls on the go!
My suggestion for out and out SQ, the Pioneer DEH-80 PRS, and for functionality and bling and good sound quality, the Pioneer AVH-X8690 BT.

2. With a 40k budget, I suggest you look at Focal Flax 165 FX, or the Rainbow Sound Line series of speakers, both are very different with respect to sound signature, but both are very good products. While the Focals are very detailed and dynamic(some people call them bright, but IMHO they are not!) and bi-amp capable, the Rainbows are laid back yet extremely detailed. Best bet would be to audition both and then decide which one suits you best. I think after that set of RFs, you would prefer the Focals.

About the rear co-axials, I would suggest going in for a set of co-axials from the same brand as the front components and preferably the same series, so as to keep the sound signature uniform, front to back!
Also my advice would be to skip the 6x9s and get a set of 6.5" coaxials, and for the Scorpio make sure you install these coaxials on a 8-10 mm plywood board, replacing the tailgate doorpad, which is made up of cardboard.

You have not mentioned anything about the amplifiers or a subwoofer, with a set of speakers in the 40k range, they would not perform to their optimum without being fed enough power, which makes adding an amplifier very important. A subwoofer is needed to cover the lower range of audio frequencies, which is necessary for a proper listening experience!

Last edited by 599gto : 1st January 2015 at 16:51.
Old 1st January 2015, 17:33   #12747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blaupunkt Las Vegas 530 and Kenwood DPX-5130BT seems to fit your budget. Do check with the local outlets. I've had better luck with Snapdeal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Blaupunkt Philadelphia? Doesn't seem to be in the budget though. Delphi RCD510 might be in the budget.
Those are specifically meant for VW and Skoda cars. The front fascia of the HU is different unlike the square profiles of the usual HUs and the female connectors at the rear of the unit would not mate with the stock harness' connector without some splicing and taping.
Old 1st January 2015, 18:16   #12748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
1. A Head Unit makes a lot of difference to ICE set up, because its the primary source where music is converted, amplified and processed before being supplied to the speakers, or amplifiers. An HU is at least as important as any other equipment in the set up!

Pioneer HUs are the most user friendly lot, not the best at SQ, but not very bad either. Go for a variant with bluetooth, it aids convenience when it comes to taking phone calls on the go!
My suggestion for out and out SQ, the Pioneer DEH-80 PRS, and for functionality and bling and good sound quality, the Pioneer AVH-X8690 BT.

2. With a 40k budget, I suggest you look at Focal Flax 165 FX, or the Rainbow Sound Line series of speakers, both are very different with respect to sound signature, but both are very good products. While the Focals are very detailed and dynamic(some people call them bright, but IMHO they are not!) and bi-amp capable, the Rainbows are laid back yet extremely detailed. Best bet would be to audition both and then decide which one suits you best. I think after that set of RFs, you would prefer the Focals.

About the rear co-axials, I would suggest going in for a set of co-axials from the same brand as the front components and preferably the same series, so as to keep the sound signature uniform, front to back!
Also my advice would be to skip the 6x9s and get a set of 6.5" coaxials, and for the Scorpio make sure you install these coaxials on a 8-10 mm plywood board, replacing the tailgate doorpad, which is made up of cardboard.

You have not mentioned anything about the amplifiers or a subwoofer, with a set of speakers in the 40k range, they would not perform to their optimum without being fed enough power, which makes adding an amplifier very important. A subwoofer is needed to cover the lower range of audio frequencies, which is necessary for a proper listening experience!
Thanks for the advice. Will audition both speakers and change by Feb, and update my long term ownership thread.

I have two 4 channel amps in my Scorpio- a Hertz HE4 to power the compos and the sub powered off the rear channel bridged. The other amp is an Arc Audio that is powering the rear 6x9s and two 6" coax speakers mounted on the middle doors.

I've replaced the entire rear cardboard with a 12 mm MDF board that is cut to shape and covered with a layer of foam and rexine for further damping. In addition all the doors are fully damped with Soundstream Deathmat, especially the rear door, on which I got the lock opened out and the area under it damped, along with the entire hand accessible section of the outer door skin, since there was an irritating vibration coming from the lock.
Old 1st January 2015, 21:22   #12749
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sahil, 15k is a really tight budget, specially if you're looking for something that fits perfectly into the Fortuner's head unit slot while sounding good! Gannu_1 has already listed the options!

Other than these, there is a plethora of touch screen HUs available right from 16k to around 50k for the Pioneer F60 BT. Take your pick, except the Pioneer 8690BT, they all sound the same!
But, I suggest you stick to Pioneer, because like I have always said, I think they make the most user friendly Head Units!

Last edited by 599gto : 1st January 2015 at 21:30.
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:30   #12750

Possible to replace stereo with aux cable ? NOOB

The stereo in my Santro car went bad (factory fitted, lasted for about 6 years). I was wondering if there is a way I can replace the stereo with a simple aux-in port that I can connect with my phone or ipod ?

Further, don't want to spend on repairing since the present stereo does not have a Aux-In, neither do I think there is a way (other than FM modulator) by which it can be enabled ?

My questions :-
1) Is this possible ?
2) Any pointers on how I do this ?

I tried searching the forums, found a few threads where people have used tablets as a replacement, however I am still confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks