Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 22:09   #12886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Another thing that i would like to ask the gurus is can the camera be connected to the head unit only without connecting to the reverse light? It can come on by selecting the camera option in the display. The reason I ask is that the camera comes on only after a few seconds of engaging the reverse gear. This causes a delay before moving, and a pain while parking.
Old 11th June 2015, 12:26   #12887
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
... can the camera be connected to the head unit only without connecting to the reverse light? It can come on by selecting the camera option in the display. The reason I ask is that the camera comes on only after a few seconds of engaging the reverse gear. This causes a delay before moving, and a pain while parking.
The camera connects directly to the HU. There is another wire connected to the reverse light to sense when reverse gear has been engaged. If you don't connect the sensor wire, the HU can't switch to camera automatically. It is a pain having to switch it manually - you have to remember to do it, and you will take as much or more time to switch it manually.

The delay is usually less than a second. The problem is with your HU, not the camera nor the reverse gear sensing. It is your HU which is taking that time to switch source when the reversing light comes on. To check, connect a 12V source to the camera (it uses reverse light to power itself) so that the camera is always on. Now change gear to reverse - the time taken for the display to switch is only that of the HU (since camera signal was always on).
Old 11th June 2015, 19:45   #12888
Senior - BHPian

@DerAlte; I've used reverse camera only in my uncle's car. It was a standalone unit and took 3 seconds to switch on. I understand that mahindra XUV 500 has an option where the camera is switched on through the HU. My only concern is voiding the Honda warranty by stripping the wire. Can you please suggest which of Blaupunkt San Diego 530, MapmyIndia 301 or Kenwood 4033bt is good for my Honda Mobilio RS? I need bluetooth, rear camera/sensors and navigation. Am not much of an audiophile.
Old 12th June 2015, 16:21   #12889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I've used reverse camera only in my uncle's car. It was a standalone unit and took 3 seconds to switch on. ...
Must have been a really bad product to take so long. All systems that I have seen, including the ones with LCD in the rear view mirror, take 1s or less.

Quote:
... I understand that mahindra XUV 500 has an option where the camera is switched on through the HU. ...
Please check details - all camera display systems use the reverse gear signal to automatically switch to the camera input. Technically, that is also "camera is switched on through the HU"

Quote:
... My only concern is voiding the Honda warranty by stripping the wire. ...
Ask Honda A.S.S. - I don't think they will mind. If they do, buy your camera and ask them to install it!

Quote:
... Can you please suggest which of Blaupunkt San Diego 530, MapmyIndia 301 or Kenwood 4033bt is good for my Honda Mobilio RS? ...
* You don't have to be an audiophile to figure out that MMI 301 sound is poor. MMI's forte is maps, NOT making HUs. This HU is a white-branded HU on which MMI is running their navigation. The navigation software is also not made by MMI.

* The Kenwood doesn't have inbuilt navigation, but you can easily use iPhone (/ iPad / iPod), or an Android phone for the navigation part through USB. It also has an interface for an external Navigation box (Kenwood or MMI). The Kenwood has the best sound reproduction among the 3

* The Blaupunkt is "navigation ready", which means you have to buy the navigation part separately and insert the microSD card into the slot. Check with Blau sales for details
Old 17th June 2015, 00:08   #12890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi, we're planning a basic ICE for our 2009 Chevy Spark LS. The budget is around 10k. The breakup I'm planning is something like this:

1. HU (4K)
2. Front 4" (2K)
3. Rear 6x9s (4k)

I don't think we'll go for an upgrade in the future. Also we live in Patiala, and anything exotic will prove difficult to source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Pioneer has a very decent 4" coaxial. For HUs, you might get Sony too. Pio and JVC are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
JBL CS4: look elsewhere, this one can be severely sibilant. Even a Pio whizzer-cone 4" sounds far better. Haven't heard the RF one, but the Polk one is decent.
The only Pioneer 4 inchers that seem to be available here are TS-G415. Since we're not aiming for anything audiophile, are they somewhat decent? Currently using JBL GT6 S699 as rears.
Old 17th June 2015, 07:46   #12891
Senior - BHPian

What can you do with your stock HU when you upgrade? Does anyone buyback the old unit or can you use it as home entertainment?
Old 17th June 2015, 08:05   #12892
BHPian

Quote:
What can you do with your stock HU when you upgrade? Does anyone buyback the old unit or can you use it as home entertainment?
Put it up for sale on OLx/Quikr. Thats what i did, and got a good deal as well. Other option would be the company service centre (maybe they can use its internal components as spare?)
Old 17th June 2015, 13:08   #12893
BHPian

I need to add a basic sub-amp to Civic which has stock head unit (no pre-out). My budget is in the range of 10k and I'm keeping stock speakers for now. After lot of searching around and collecting opinions, I got these two options in my budget:

JBL GT-X1200 Subwoofer ~3k
JBL GX-A644Si 4 Channel Amp ~ 5.5k
Custom Enclosure and Fusion Wiring Kit ~ 2k

Anyone using the above combo? How good is this?

Since the HU doesnt have pre-out, can I just use the high level input option on amp instead of buying converter kits? Which is more complex - adding a line converter or using high input option from rear speaker? I have to keep the installer away from stock HU as much as possible as it can get pretty messy removing the dashboard etc.

As a backup option, Can I replace stock speakers with some good ones that gives enough "bass" ? And if so, will it be a clean install with only the speaker replacement and not messing with any other wiring in car?
Old 20th June 2015, 20:16   #12894
Senior - BHPian

@DerAlte; what is the Blaupunkt San Jose 530 on sale on snapdeal? Am unable to find any reference to it online. How is it different from the San Diego 530? Cost is about 3 k less, but specs appear the same.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:34   #12895
BHPian

Hi All, finally after 10 months after the purchase of the fortuner, I finally completed my Phase I of ICE installation. Phase II in 6 months
[/list][*]Front Components : Flux 260[*]4 Channel Amp : Rainbow Beat 4[*]Sub : Rainbow DLS 12[*]Dampmat Exceed : 12 sheets (1 book pack + additional)[*]Connectors, Cable etc : Scorche[/list]

I'm quite pleased with the system. Thank you Bhp'ians for all the advice you gave me
Old 21st July 2015, 14:35   #12896
BHPian

Hi,

I was thinking of changing the front speakers of the Jetta to something better. The only one I could find that would be a PnP is the Focal 165VW. I see these on ebay at around 6700/- a pair and the components for around 12.5k per pair.

Firstly, wanted to check if they can be bought off ebay, as I have heard that there are a lot of fakes in car speakers today. Secondly, at these prices do other speakers make sense?

My current setup is that I have changed the existing system to a Dynavin. The rest is the stocks etup. Only 2 speakers and two tweeters in the front. No rear speakers.
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:40   #12897
Senior - BHPian

Its finally time to ICE my car!

I opened up the stereo box and found these connectors

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20150721_210616001.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20150721_210938001.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20150721_210956001.jpg

After googling, I found these are ISO 10487 connectors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio

I'm looking for an adapter; rather a male part for the A (power) connector so that I can solder the wires coming out of it into the wiring loom of my pioneer head unit. I do not want to snip any wires and I dont intend on using the stock wiring for speakers.

Hence, where can I Buy these adapters? Can I also get a second wiring loom for the pioneer head unit? References for online purchase or Bangalore shops are welcome! Picture of the pioneer wiring harness below:

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20150722_081446001.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 22nd July 2015 at 08:43.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:25   #12898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
... I'm looking for an adapter; rather a male part for the A (power) connector so that I can solder the wires coming out of it into the wiring loom of my pioneer head unit. I do not want to snip any wires and I dont intend on using the stock wiring for speakers. ...
Go to any accessories dealer and ask for a "harness adapter" for your car model. The sockets that you see at the end of the bunch of cables are standard sockets for your model of the car. The "harness adapter" provides a plug with multi-colored wires sticking out, which are mated with the connector supplied with the HU.

Do use a heat-shrink tube on the joint after soldering the wires, instead of using insulation tape. Saves a lot of headaches in the long run.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:07   #12899
Senior - BHPian

Hi again Guys,
Was wondering if there are any amplifiers available in the market which have an Aux input along with Speaker level input. If yes, is it feasible to directly play songs from your mobile through Aux out connected to the amp, bypassing the HU?

I dont want to change the Stock HU of my Punto but missing Aux/USB option badly.
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:01   #12900
BHPian

Hi All,

Need advise. I'm in the market to buy a Headrest monitor. I did a lot of looking around but not able to fine a decent piece. While the market is flooded with Headrest monitors from megaaudio (http://www.megaaudio.in/madtr_929.html) to mapmyindia (http://www.mapmyindia.com/rear-seat-...st-monitor-901) however they don't play all formats.

I'm looking at a moitor which plays MKV and MP4 files and preferably 9" screen. If anyone is using or know of one, please share

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks