Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 13:14   #12916
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You shouldn't do that with a 2 channel - one can't tune the sub, and going loud will take amp to thermal cut-out. A 4 channel is the right way to go, justifying the price difference.

Old company, products are not bad. I wouldn't buy their amp - lack of local support (I don't believe dealers' / installers' words on that) would put me in trouble if something goes wrong.

At the level that you will normally use your system, it doesn't matter. Different matter for SPL systems, which I am sure you are not planning. If you want to know what a good SPL system is, I recommend that you audition the system in the car of dear @low_bass_makker (he is in Faridabad) - it will be a revelation for you!

Sure, there is a limit to which economical OE drivers can be pushed (they distort when pushed hard, and anyone can make that out). Why do they assume that everyone is interested only in PA-system-like loud music in their car? At normal listening volumes, even with windows open, the OE components will be able to handle the 1-30W that the amp will usually supply.

Please stick to your original plan.
Well sir the install happened yesterday. We did not connect the front components to the amp. I would surely be upgrading them very very soon. I was also helped by a Bhpian throughout the install. I am very thankful to him for all the help.

We had a listen to a few setups in my car.
1. Blaupunkt 470 SF with the blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sub Sound - a very accurate sounding combo.

2. Pioneer GMA 6604 with JBL 1200 GTX sub. Thebpunch was more and the build quality of the amp was fantastic.

3. Vice versa / exchanging the subs and the amps.

I finally went with the pioneer amp and jbl sub combo with focal wiring and Rockford converter. Fantastic bass. Special mention to the Bhpian who setup my amp properly. We will fine tune the settings in a few days.

Right now the bass is superb.

Will surely share the pics very soon

Thanks and regards
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:42   #12917
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

I needed some help upgrading my system in my Verna and posted the Specs and doubt's I had on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...dai-verna.html

Didn't get much help there. Hope someone from here could provide me with some good advise. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2015, 17:59   #12918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
1. Blaupunkt 470 SF with the blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sub Sound - a very accurate sounding combo.

2. Pioneer GMA 6604 with JBL 1200 GTX sub. Thebpunch was more and the build quality of the amp was fantastic.

I finally went with the pioneer amp and jbl sub combo with focal wiring and Rockford converter. Fantastic bass. Special mention to the Bhpian who setup my amp properly. We will fine tune the settings in a few days.
Hi Aditya,

I just ordered the GTb 1200 SC and should be getting it soon. I am planning on pairing it with the Blaupunkt 470 SF. When you say "accurate sounding", you mean to say that bass is tight and punchy? Suitable to hard rock, maybe?

How much did the Focal wiring cost? And the convertor?

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2015, 08:09   #12919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Hi Aditya,

I just ordered the GTb 1200 SC and should be getting it soon. I am planning on pairing it with the Blaupunkt 470 SF. When you say "accurate sounding", you mean to say that bass is tight and punchy? Suitable to hard rock, maybe?

How much did the Focal wiring cost? And the convertor?

Thanks!
Hi Viraat,

The GTB 1200 SC is a fantastic sub for the price. Yes the vocals were clear in the 470 SF but the bass was a but boomy. Thats the reason i chose the pioneer amp. It was more on the punchy and tight side.

I would suggest you to get the amp from a store and listen to both one by one with the sub and finally decide which one to get.

The wiring i have used is from Focal.

Even at high volumes, if you stand besides my car, there is hardly any boom boom sound, but on the inside the whole thing vibrates

Thanks
Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 18:09   #12920
BHPian

Well. I read that anyone coming to the ICE section for answers will only be more confused, and that stands true for me.

The car in question is a Skoda Octavia (Mk1), and this is my first forray into car audio.

While engaging in some "harmless" online window shopping, I stumbled upon a subwoofer, being sold at a steal. Since I had been planning to take the plunge for a long time prior to this, I decided to go for it! "It" was the Hertz DS 30.3, and I ordered it after some mild googling and so on. Then began my headache of the box. Since it was seeming like a tough task, I ditched the Hertz, and ordered the Blaupunkt GTb 1200 SC instead, as it had an enclosure, and I was too confused about buying or building one. Thus started the hunt for an amp!

Gurus! Please help me out of this predicament. I am confused between the following amplifiers —
  1. Blaupunkt EMA 455
  2. JBL GX-A 644SI
  3. JVC KS-AX 3204
  4. Sony XM N1004
  5. Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF
  6. JVC KS-AX204

The current set up includes a Sony headunit, Blaupunkt components (OE), and Hertz 100.3 (I think) 4.25 inch speakers in the rear. I am pretty happy with the current set up, and would just like some more thump. I listen to rock, house, EDM, Punjabi, and regular pop music. I am not a fan of R&B or hip-hop, and so I want bass that packs a kick, but an accurate one.

SO.
Which amplifier is most suited? Let's assume that I am not going to be buying from a very high end place, and so cannot sample any of these.
Old 18th August 2015, 01:25   #12921
BHPian

What is the feedback for acustika 4 channel amplifier .One of my friend suggested this to me but I have never heard about them before , attaching a picture for reference although it's not clear .
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-image.jpg  

Old 25th August 2015, 19:07   #12922
BHPian

Hello Gurus,
This is a follow-up to my earlier query in this thread ...
A very dear friend & fellow Team-Bhp-ian has recently offered to sell me his barely used HX-D2.
This particular Head-Unit appears to be sought out by audiophiles for it's exemplary internals.
However, this Head-Unit appears to be built around CD transport & does not have reasonable options for sources like iPods ( other than RCA ).
Now, my main sources of music are iPods & I do not intend to go back to CDs, especially for in-car-entertainment.
Basic intent is to use an interface that allows the DAC on the iPods(s) to be bypassed & instead use the supposedly fine ones in the HX-D2.

Found this following video on YouTube where the iPod is connected to an i20, which is then connected to the HX-D2 via an optical link.

The primary misgiving I have with the above approach is that the iPod cannot be controlled from the Head-Unit.

My query to the Gurus is : What would be the best solution to digitally connect an iPod to the HX-D2 in a way that maximizes the HX-D2's internals ?

P.S. - Found a P99 for sale on another forum, would the P99 offer better connectivity to iDevices compared to the HX-D2 ?

Last edited by im_srini : 25th August 2015 at 19:11.
Old 28th August 2015, 13:04   #12923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
... HX-D2. ... Found this following video on YouTube where the iPod is connected to an i20, which is then connected to the HX-D2 via an optical link. ...The primary misgiving I have with the above approach is that the iPod cannot be controlled from the Head-Unit.

My query to the Gurus is : What would be the best solution to digitally connect an iPod to the HX-D2 in a way that maximizes the HX-D2's internals ?

P.S. - Found a P99 for sale on another forum, would the P99 offer better connectivity to iDevices compared to the HX-D2 ?
You would be better off with the Pio P99 - it has direct iDevice control, and - if it is of the same pedigree as Pio P80 - it will have very good response.

Depending on the price you get it at, Kenwood excellon series (KDC-X994/995/998 etc. - US models) or the KDC-X700BT or 400 available in India would be a very comparable option. Check the Kenwood website.

The only available external digital interface method with the HX-D2 would be the CD changer interface. The protocol of the CD changer interface is very similar to the iPod playback control protocol. Please search - you might be able to find a jerry-rigged interface to an iPod dock or cable, which uses the CD changer interface. Playback will use the HX-D2 DAC, as even on the CD changer interface one gets only the music file contents and not a converted analog signal.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 16:54   #12924
BHPian

Quote:
What would be the best solution to digitally connect an iPod to the HX-D2 in a way that maximizes the HX-D2's internals ?
Quote:
The only available external digital interface method with the HX-D2 would be the CD changer interface.
Please search - you might be able to find a jury-rigged interface to an iPod dock or cable, which uses the CD changer interface.
Many thanks for the suggestion, did exactly that & came across this product, which appears to fit the bill

Quote:
You would be better off with the Pio P99 - it has direct iDevice control, and - if it is of the same pedigree as Pio P80 - it will have very good response.
Thanks once again, planning to use the P99 in the older Alto & use the HX-D2 in the K10.

Both these Head-Units are reputed to have very good internals & processing capabilities, hence not sure whether using the Bit-One & MS-8 would enhance the set-ups anymore.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:32   #12925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... did exactly that & came across this product, which appears to fit the bill ...
Super!

Quote:
... not sure whether using the Bit-One & MS-8 would enhance the set-ups anymore.
Both HX-D2 and P99 have built-in Time Alignment facility, so you won't need the processors.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 10:55   #12926
Senior - BHPian

Guys I'm planning for the base model Bolt. For the music system my requirements are as under. Request your advice on models I could go for and approx price.

1. Double din but not particular about touch screen. In fact buttons are preferred because the car would be mostly in the hands of a driver.. also I'm comfortable with buttons rather than a touch screen.
2. I'm not an audiophile so reasonable sound quality is sufficient.
3. Should 4 speakers suffice or should I add 2 tweeters also ?

Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 19:43   #12927
BHPian

Hi everyone

Planning to get the damping done on all the four doors of my duster . I have got a quote of 9k for flex 9 material . I wanted to know if it would help with overall sound quality improvement and outside wind noise reduction .

Current setup is as follows

Duster oem hu
Front jbl gt 7 5c components
Polk db521 coaxial rear speakers
Acustika 4ch amp
Jbl subwoofer

Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 21:16   #12928

After spending days going through most of this thread(!) i dont know if i feel enlightened or more confused! But the information here is amazing thanks to all the contributors!

Anyways, i have a question which has still remain unanswered -
Assuming that the RMS output of an amp for a channel should atleast be 10% more than the RMS operating wattage of the speaker/woofer, i see that in many cases mentioned on this thread (mostly suggested by car audio dealers) that the selected amp is not giving as much output as needed to get the maximum potential from the selected speaker.

In fact i also witnessed this myself when i went to a couple of dealers in Delhi. For example, one of them suggested the following:
Amp - DD A4 ; Components: Polk DB 6501 ; Woofer: Hertz DS250/DS300

Now the A4 can supply a maximum of 55W continuous to components and 130W to sub-woofer all at 4 ohms (assuming 3-CH configuration). But for Polks to work at full potential you need at least 110W continuous and for sub-woofer you need at least 220W or 330W (depending on which one you choose). So in effect we are either going for an amp which is too weak to handle the speakers or the speakers too powerful to work well at the wattage fed to them by the selected amp.

So my question is - Am i understanding things correctly or is there something I am missing?
Old 17th September 2015, 14:16   #12929
BHPian

Currently I have swift with following setup:

Bull Audio Components
Kenwood HU and Kenwood 4 channel Amp with cooling fan
Sub-woofer- dont remember company name.
Scosche wiring and dynamite damping.

This setup I got from Driven 6 years back and is superb.

Now I am buying Skoda Rapid and it comes with double din HU with steering controls and 4 speakers.

I am thinking about taking amp & woofer out of swift and putting in Rapid. Also upgrade front speakers to components.

I primarily listen to trance, techno, and electronic music.

What do you all suggest, should I go for new amp and woofer?

Also how is the quality of inbuilt Rapid HU and speakers, should I change HU too?

Will be going to Driven again, unless anyone has other suggestions.
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:52   #12930
BHPian

I have recently purchased a Rainbow DL 6.2 components and EL X6 for coaxials for my creta. I used 6 sheets of dampmat on four doors and since I was short of time I was unable to get amp installed. I would like to know if I retain my stock HU which I think is quite good what amp would best suit these speakers. I mostly listen to Classic Rock, Hip Hop and Blues. I am not familiar with the model no. but the brands available are:

-Morel
-Digital Designs
-Focal
-Cerwin Vega
-Pioneer - GM-A6604 - 4 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (760 W) - 7.5k
-Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R250-4 250 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier - 9.5k
-JVC - KS AX3104 - Bridgeable 4-Channel Power Amplifier - 10k
-JBL - GX-A644SI - 4 Channel Power Amplifier - 5.3k

Can anyone who has had some experience with these brands give their opinions as I haven't been able to test any and the stock HU is barely giving any output through mp3 files although FLAC sounds awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks