Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 10:01   #13666
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Nice setup.
Does the OPS display and steering wheel control work with this head unit? And how much did it cost? Sounds like a worthy upgrade from RCD330g if you want car play or AA.
Steering wheel control working fine. Used DHC pro steering wheel interface.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20180713_133653.jpg

It was overall a costly affair. Shelled out 24K for HU. Ordered online from Motorogue (Mumbai). 3K for full HD reverse parking camera. 4K for steering wheel control interface. Some misc expenses like Frame etc. Got it fitted from Poona Motors (Pune).
nexus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 13:24   #13667
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I would like a clear sound with tight bass vs a boomy sound.

Amp settings
Subwoofer
Bass - 0db
Low Pass - Approx. 90Hz?
How much should be the gain?
Front Speakers
Bass - 0db
High Pass - 80Hz
How much should be the gain?
HU Crossover Settings

Front Speakers
How much should be the ideal slope?

Rear Speakers
How much should be the ideal slope?

Subwoofer
How much should be the ideal slope?[/IMG]

I normally set gain by ear. Start with all the gains at 12 o'clock and increase/decrease it so that the absence of the subwoofer is noticed but the presence of the subwoofer is not. In other words the subwoofer should not make it's existence known, it should just add body to the sound without calling attention to itself.

As far as slopes go, I would stick to a slope of 18db/oct for the subwoofer and 12db/octave for the front and rear speakers. You may try different slope but this is a fair place to start.

You do not want the subwoofer to be operating much above 80-100hz so a 18 or 24db/oct slope is best, at the same time you want to offer your front and rear speakers some protection from the low bass and a 12db/oct slope offers that. If you want you can even try a 6db/oct slope for the front and rear speakers. If you do not listen to music very loud, a 6db slop may be adequate protection.

Do not forget to experiment with the phase control on the subwoofer amp. It will help time align the subwoofer to the front speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I like my cars stock and would like to revert to stock system.

What are your suggestions guys? Should I revert to stock system? If not, how do I make this system livable?
Why not. If you like a stock car, why not. I also do not like any tangle of wires and prefer my cars at least "looking" stock.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:52   #13668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I normally set gain by ear. Start with all the gains at 12 o'clock and increase/decrease it so that the absence of the subwoofer is noticed but the presence of the subwoofer is not. In other words the subwoofer should not make it's existence known, it should just add body to the sound without calling attention to itself.

As far as slopes go, I would stick to a slope of 18db/oct for the subwoofer and 12db/octave for the front and rear speakers. You may try different slope but this is a fair place to start.

You do not want the subwoofer to be operating much above 80-100hz so a 18 or 24db/oct slope is best, at the same time you want to offer your front and rear speakers some protection from the low bass and a 12db/oct slope offers that. If you want you can even try a 6db/oct slope for the front and rear speakers. If you do not listen to music very loud, a 6db slop may be adequate protection.

Do not forget to experiment with the phase control on the subwoofer amp. It will help time align the subwoofer to the front speakers.
Thanks Navin. So the settings look ok so far. Will try to play around slope and Phase control. After replacing stock HU, I have started experiencing big vibrations in rear doors. This happens at 35-40% of HU volume capacity. Rear speakers are not powered by amp. I think I will need to consider damping.
Old 22nd July 2018, 19:18   #13669
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help recommending good 5.25 speakers for the rear doors in my Forester? I would prefer something that isn't too expensive yet pairs well with the Audison Voce speakers in front and the Excelon 900-5 to create decent good sound for rear passengers as well.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:43   #13670
BHPian

Hi guys, I have recently bought a first gen Fortuner and wish to upgrade my ICE.

Few points of information which I wish to share

1) I travel with alone 80% of the times and 20% of the times with family - So space is a constraint

2) I listen to classic rock and some guitar and sitar so the clarity with decent bass is critical for me.

3) Tweeter quality is paramount. I do not want shrill sounds from the tweeter. They need to be smooth. The car is only used for highway drives so anything shrill will just cause a headache.

4) Bass requirement is only for soothing and not for the boom boom effect

5) I will never play music at the highest volume etc. I want my system to be crystal clear even at low volumes

I have a budget of about 70k including the HU

I am planning for the Pioneer AVH - Z5190 as the HU which gives me enough power for amplifiers and speakers and the high level tuning. This would cost me about 25k.

This leaves me with about 45 to 50k for the system install

I'm thoroughly confused here

Should I go in for a lower quality PowerBass setup with 2 components and 2 coaxials with 2 amps and a sub or should I go with the more expensive morel tempos - May be 4 components and a sub (a helix 4d ) or 2 components and 2 coaxials

Can I do a staggered install ? May be go in for higher quality Morels (only speakers and the amp) and then add the mono amp and subwoofer some time later ?

Sorry I'm a bit off here and will really be awesome if experts can help out !
Old 24th July 2018, 14:32   #13671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
Should I go in for a lower quality PowerBass setup with 2 components and 2 coaxials with 2 amps and a sub or should I go with the more expensive morel tempos - May be 4 components and a sub (a helix 4d ) or 2 components and 2 coaxials

Can I do a staggered install ? May be go in for higher quality Morels (only speakers and the amp) and then add the mono amp and subwoofer some time later ?!
If money is constrained then its always a good idea to go in staggered way. Here's my 2 cents.

Install Morel Tempo Comps in front doors, no need to add comps at back since as you said 80% of the time you are alone. Just add coax (morel again) at the back. Run them with decent 4 channel amp if you cant add another amp for sub. Later on you can add Mono and a Sub when money allows. Maybe you can do all this in your budget of 50K right now too. Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP amp is a decent amp and very well priced (on amazon you can get it as low as 7K) however outside it retails around 10/12K. For Mono there is one from Pioneer (sorry don't remember model #) check there website.
So all in all you can get this done under 50K if not little bit more. Otherwise go step by step, adding sub etc later on. And don't forget damping, atlest front doors.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:24   #13672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Install Morel Tempo Comps in front doors, no need to add comps at back since as you said 80% of the time you are alone. Just add coax (morel again) at the back
Some sound advice there by Nitin. If you want a fatigue free long term listening experience, you might want to stay away from entry level mainstream brands like Powerbass as they are designed for mass market consumption and our market likes loudness and a bass & treble heavy sound. So, Morel should work well for you.

Cheers!
gunbir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 19:57   #13673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If money is constrained then its always a good idea to go in staggered way. Here's my 2 cents.

Install Morel Tempo Comps in front doors, no need to add comps at back since as you said 80% of the time you are alone.

And don't forget damping, atlest front doors.
Nitin thanks for the to the point advise! I don't want to compromise on the quality so my only option is staggered !

Just one thing , Will the coaxs be sounding decent for the rear passengers during family drives? Or I should go for 4 components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Some sound advice there by Nitin. If you want a fatigue free long term listening experience, you might want to stay away from entry level mainstream brands like Powerbass as they are designed for mass market consumption and our market likes loudness and a bass & treble heavy sound. So, Morel should work well for you.

Cheers!
Thanks Gunbir ! Your statement almost seals it
varunraizada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 20:45   #13674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post

Cheers!
Slightly off topic, welcome back to the thread! it's been a while

My 2 cents, don't keep the rears empty- put something there for the sake of the rear passengers.

Also you have a lot of SUV to fill with sound. A lot of the monos out there are not true monos. I would suggest that you look for high quality watts and as much as you can in your budget.

To add to the above, a DVC sub with a 4 channel amp might be a cheaper than an SVC with a big brawny mono for the same number of watts

Last edited by theMAG : 25th July 2018 at 05:14. Reason: Back-back posts merged.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:17   #13675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
Hi guys, I have recently bought a first gen Fortuner and wish to upgrade my ICE.
Varun PMed me (I wonder why)) but for the record this was my reply (via PM). Posting here, just in case others need this some time in the future.

You do not need components in the rear. There is always a challenge with installing components in the rear because the tweeter of the rear components if often closer to the ear of the people in the front seats that the tweeter of the front components are.

So the people in the front may get a mixed up sound stage with the HF coming from the rear before it comes from the front.

ALWAYS and I mean always post your questions on the forum. It helps other members and you also get several inputs and different viewpoints.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:31   #13676
BHPian

Has anyone here replaced their HU with an iPad (9.7")? Have an old one lying around and was wondering if it can replace the HU and also help with navigation and maybe reverse cameras too.

Couldn't find anything useful from the search results.
Old 27th July 2018, 20:43   #13677
BHPian

Folks,

My Scorpio LX roof antenna has come off (8 year old) courtsey, my parking lot maintenance guys decided to pull some wire and didn't mind about the antenna being there. While taking the car today, it fell down when I started to drive.

I see a replacement available online for approx INR 500, but am thinking to address the height issue, can we move to a sharkfin antenna. I have typically seen them mounted at the back of the car, would it have any issues if we mount it to the front?

Regards,
Diwakar
Old 27th July 2018, 21:26   #13678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
but am thinking to address the height issue, can we move to a sharkfin antenna. I have typically seen them mounted at the back of the car, would it have any issues if we mount it to the front?
Apart from looks, the functionality wouldn't change.

Most cars have the shark fin antenna mounted at the rear that looks good too and I haven't seen a front mounted one.

You can try and see how it is.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:01   #13679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Apart from looks, the functionality wouldn't change.

Most cars have the shark fin antenna mounted at the rear that looks good too and I haven't seen a front mounted one.

You can try and see how it is.
Thanks Anurag, any recommended antenna brands I can try, i see a lot of DIY videos on the net, wanted to give it a try.
Old 30th July 2018, 11:55   #13680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Thanks Anurag, any recommended antenna brands I can try, i see a lot of DIY videos on the net, wanted to give it a try.
I have no experience with these antennas though. I think your Scorpio is black if I am not wrong?!

You can try the one in the link: Shark Fin Antenna for Scorpio

Why not search locally?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks