Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2018, 12:22   #13756
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Guys, I am an absolute noob in this field, so bear with my idiotic query. I am not an audiophile.
I have a 2012 Etios Liva which has two speakers on the dashboard and two on the front doors.
I am using a basic single DIN Pioneer head unit. While driving I prefer music at very low volume. Hence my wife who always sits at the back cannot hear music clearly.
I had thought of installing speakers at the rear but this would mean replacing the parcel tray with a plywood one and compromising on luggage space. So I avoided that.
Hence my question to experts : is it possible to place speakers (rectangular, sound bar type) on the C-pillars? I don't want high quality speakers, just the music should reach the rear seats. Also to note that there is no provision for speakers on the rear door.
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2018, 01:23   #13757
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Hence my question to experts : is it possible to place speakers (rectangular, sound bar type) on the C-pillars? I don't want high quality speakers, just the music should reach the rear seats. Also to note that there is no provision for speakers on the rear door.
Thanks in advance.
Should be possible, but I doubt anyone here would have done it before. Ideally you need to get a decent pair of speakers, which you can put into the front doors, and transfer the existing speakers in those doors to the rear doors (any audio installer worth his salt can do the necessary alterations to make this happen) add an amplifier since you mentioned that you like music at low volumes, the amp would help bring out far more detail at lower volumes. Also some strategically placed damping sheets would help. The whole thing should not cost you more than 10k and you will feel the difference.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:29   #13758
BHPian

I was unhappy with the muddy sound quality of the stock speakers in my 2018 EcoSport, and wanted to upgrade.

Based on the recommendation of the installer (Car Sringar Bangalore) I installed Helix Blue B62C components for the front. Left the rear speakers as is.

Now the sound quality has taken a nose dive. The sound is very bright. The mids and highs actually sound harsh! I tried playing with the EQ on the HU, but that isn't helping at all.

Not sure what I should do. Should I just try to sell off the new speakers and switch to another make? Maybe more mainstream brands like focal auditor+ or Morel Maximo? Any recommendations on speakers with a balanced sound signature?

Or could the issue be with the tuning of the stock HU? A DSP is likely to be prohibitively expensive for me.
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:55   #13759
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I was unhappy with the muddy sound quality of the stock speakers in my 2018 EcoSport, and wanted to upgrade.

Not sure what I should do. Should I just try to sell off the new speakers and switch to another make? Maybe more mainstream brands like focal auditor+ or Morel Maximo? Any recommendations on speakers with a balanced sound signature?

Or could the issue be with the tuning of the stock HU? A DSP is likely to be prohibitively expensive for me.
Firstly before you assume DSPs are expensive please check this thread. Pioneer and Sony are re-writing the rules.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...t-version.html (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))

Secondly before you upgrade anything try and listen to a few systems; either at dealers or those of friends. When you know what sound you want it is easier to obtain it.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 10:05   #13760
BHPian

Guys, How good is the Blaupunkt San Marino 330 Head unit? Planning to install this on my Alto. Pricing seems to be good, but not able to gauge the performance of the same.
ard1955 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 16:08   #13761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Firstly before you assume DSPs are expensive please check this thread. Pioneer and Sony are re-writing the rules.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...t-version.html (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))

Secondly before you upgrade anything try and listen to a few systems; either at dealers or those of friends. When you know what sound you want it is easier to obtain it.
Thank you for your advice.

I stream most of my music over Bluetooth from my smartphone. Would you be aware of any apps which can effectively play the role of a DSP by pre-processing the music on phone before streaming it out on Bluetooth? Essentially a cheaper DSP solution implemented in software?

I'm on a fairly tight budget (not more than 10K on the entire install). At these price points, it's hard to get an installer to give me an audition before I buy, unfortunately.
Old 24th October 2018, 16:14   #13762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I stream most of my music over Bluetooth from my smartphone. Would you be aware of any apps which can effectively play the role of a DSP by pre-processing the music on phone before streaming it out on Bluetooth? Essentially a cheaper DSP solution implemented in software?
Go easy please. I am an old man. What are you trying to do?

My concept:

Music on device > Head Unit > DSP (from Pioneer/Sony/Audison...) > Amplifiers > Speakers.

Why do you want to pre-process it on the phone? Th object of DSP, in this case, is to compensate for the car's cabin and the location of the speakers within the cabin.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 16:57   #13763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Guys, How good is the Blaupunkt San Marino 330 Head unit? Planning to install this on my Alto. Pricing seems to be good, but not able to gauge the performance of the same.
Its a decent unit for the price. Touch sensitivity is good and comes with all basic features. The unit doesnot support CD though.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 17:31   #13764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Go easy please. I am an old man. What are you trying to do?

My concept:

Music on device > Head Unit > DSP (from Pioneer/Sony/Audison...) > Amplifiers > Speakers.

Why do you want to pre-process it on the phone? Th object of DSP, in this case, is to compensate for the car's cabin and the location of the speakers within the cabin.

Apologies, my post was unclear. I was thinking (very naively) that the flow can be as follows -

Music on device-->On-device pre-processing to compensate for car cabin etc --> Head Unit --> Speakers

The idea was to somehow avoid spending on DSP hardware and making-do with some software processing on the source itself based on in-car acoustics.

I'm guessing there are some serious flaws in my logic, which explains why there are no apps on the Play Store which do this

Last edited by qaqa : 24th October 2018 at 17:32. Reason: Typos corrected
Old 26th October 2018, 10:57   #13765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm guessing there are some serious flaws in my logic, which explains why there are no apps on the Play Store which do this
Processing is dependent on the environment. The device has no idea what the environment is. A microphone is required for the DSP to know what the environment is.

The Pioneer DSP in the budget DSP thread I linked to earlier uses the microphone and a custom app on the phone. The app then controls the DSP and together they compensate for the environment. The Phone does not process, it only instructs the DSP.
Old 27th October 2018, 06:32   #13766

Hello Guys,
I have decided to upgrade my 6-year-old Swift's Stock ICE. I am mainly for Android Auto; not an AudioPhile. My budget is around 20K. I had shortlisted Sony XAV 5000 which comes to around 23K. Then, I came across Blaupunkt Montecarlo 750 which comes to less than 17K which has all the requirements I need( Capacitive screen, Steering controls, dual USB). But I could not find a single review of the unit online.

https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/17071/

Have anybody installed this?

Are there any other models I should be looking at this price point?
Old 29th October 2018, 11:46   #13767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlack View Post
https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/17071/

Have anybody installed this?

Outside of Sony and Blaupunkt the other brands that offer HUs with a similar feature set and in the same price band are Kenwood and Pioneer. The models change every year or so, so it is best to visit a dealer and listen to a few and more importantly check how well they integrate with your phone.
Old 29th October 2018, 14:54   #13768
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks - in the market for replacing the age-old Caska HU with a new OE replacement unit for Vento (2015 -facelifted model)
Have looked at the RCD 3XXX series upgrades on other threads but not able to locate Android Auto + Navigation (Google Maps preferred) on the same unit, unless I have not searched thoroughly?

Came across this AVN on recommendation from a colleague, has anyone tried or installed this?

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1469864796myavn669bandroidpoloventojetta8inch.jpg

Similar products for this range available, with this base variant.

Supposedly distributed by Auto Trendz, but resold in Pune by few dealers, namely Bafna Cars.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 29th October 2018 at 14:59.
Old 31st October 2018, 14:14   #13769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi guys,
I'm planning to upgrade the stock head unit of my 2018 swift Zxi to a touchscreen unit. I'm mostly looking under 30k and I have come across two options
1. Pioneer AVH-Z5190BT.
https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/avh-z5190bt/
2. Sony XAV-AX5000
https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/avh-z5190bt/

The clear advantage of sony is it has capacitive touch screen which is why I'm inclining more towards it. I'm also planning on installing a subwoofer and an amp so would like to know which is the better option out of the two.
Which one did you go for and what has been your experience? I have a colleague of mine who is looking to decide between the same two models. Any inputs would be very helpful.
Old 31st October 2018, 17:03   #13770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlack View Post
JVC has some units that are pretty competitively priced.
Check specs at http://in.jvc.com/car/
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks