Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 20:47   #6256
Team-BHP Support

you got a sealed box sub? how much power is your amp putting in your sub?

the comps max out easier as they have excursion limits that are far less than your subs. If you want them to play louder try a steeper XO slope for them.

Last edited by navin : 19th June 2007 at 20:49.
Old 19th June 2007, 21:48   #6257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
you got a sealed box sub? how much power is your amp putting in your sub?

the comps max out easier as they have excursion limits that are far less than your subs. If you want them to play louder try a steeper XO slope for them.
yup navinji, its a sealed enclosure. the amp puts out 75x4 at 4 Ohms 14.4v, 250x2 bridged 4ohms at 14.4. so my sub is getting 250w RMS. But in reality its getting less power as the voltage is around 13v. is there a way to calculate power output at a certain voltage when we know the output at 14.4v?

How to go about the steeper xo slope? my comps(hertz esk165) have a 1st order xo. if im not wrong, 1st order XOs have a 6db/octave slope. correct me if im wrong here.

should i make a new xo for my comps? that sound very interesting. I hope i dont void the warranty.

Navinji, can you help me get a decent LCR meter and a true rms DMM? you are my only hope, but i dont want you to go out of the way. you know anyone who can courier them to me?

cheers
clip

edit - navinji, the high pass is a second order xo. it has a 4.7uf cap in series followed by a 0.22mh inductor in parellel. it has a 12db slope. what slope should i use and what will be the effects?

also i dont have an LCR meter so is there any other way to measure inductance? e.g. by no. of turns of the wire and wire gauge?

Last edited by clipto333 : 19th June 2007 at 22:03.
Old 19th June 2007, 21:54   #6258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Navinji, can you help me get a decent LCR meter and a true rms DMM?
I think Aplab used to make a good LCR bridge and the only true rms DMM trust are Fluke.

PM me late tom or early friday. I am out tom morning and all of thursday. and i will try and find one locally. let me know what price range you are looking at.

No I meant using your HU to roll of the bass to the components. Are you not using your 75.4 to drive your front speakers as well.

Last edited by navin : 19th June 2007 at 21:55.
Old 19th June 2007, 22:07   #6259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
75.4 to drive your front speakers as well.

Navin Ji he is having Pioneer 944 not Jbl 75.4
Old 19th June 2007, 22:20   #6260
BHPian

hi Gunbir/JB,

sorry couldn't edit my post in time. would like to know how much does the energy cone mid range costs? also, for how much would be a 3 way XO for energy series? wanted to upgrade my comps to 3 way.

why is the audiocomp site under construction for so long? i really wanted to see the audiocomp product catalog. can you PM or email the catalog to me please?

thanks
clip
Old 19th June 2007, 22:34   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
I think Aplab used to make a good LCR bridge and the only true rms DMM trust are Fluke.

PM me late tom or early friday. I am out tom morning and all of thursday. and i will try and find one locally. let me know what price range you are looking at.

No I meant using your HU to roll of the bass to the components. Are you not using your 75.4 to drive your front speakers as well.
ill do that navinji, thanks. how much does the cheapest LCR meter(is bridge the correct term?) costs? i dont know the price range for the above meters so cant say. :-) are the cheap meters accurate enough? my main purpose to buy the lcr meter is to make crossovers.

should i increase the cutoff frequency to 100 Hz? it 80 Hz right now

lbm, the other day, you mentioned about a true rms DMM. it was for 2k right? and you are using the same meter na? from where did you buy it? is it good enough for audio
Old 19th June 2007, 23:07   #6262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
edit - navinji, the high pass is a second order xo. it has a 4.7uf cap in series followed by a 0.22mh inductor in parellel. it has a 12db slope. what slope should i use and what will be the effects?

also i dont have an LCR meter so is there any other way to measure inductance? e.g. by no. of turns of the wire and wire gauge?
yes you can calculate the inductance if you have the ID, turn, gauge of the coil. but with a LCR bridge you dont need to unwind the coil.

BTW why are you trying to modify the XO at this stage.

Previously I thought your 6x9 was a 3 way because when you said "i have a pair of infinity 6x9 as rear fills. they are powered by the head unit. wanted to know if these speakers have some kind of XO built into it. if im not wrong, there should be a cap for the tweets(bass blocker?). what about the other 2? does the woofer and the mid have any kind of XO?... I assumed it had a woofer, a mid and a tweeter.

Now I assume your 6x9 is a 2 way with a woofer and a tweeter using a 2nd order XO. Riight?

Also I assume that your 6x9 are being driven fullrange by the HU (I thought you were using an amp).

In this case there is little you can do to control the bass being fed to your 6x9 unless your HU allows you to cut the bass to the speaker outs.

if you are discussing other speakers (like your front speakers) or you do have an amp feeding the speakers let us know.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:10   #6263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
should i increase the cutoff frequency to 100 Hz? it 80 Hz right now.
a 6x9 or even a 6" should be able to handle 80Hz ok. So there is no need to do this. (again I assume you are talking about a HP freq.).
Old 20th June 2007, 00:31   #6264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
first i tried the sub gain. with a good quality cd (Gunbir gave it to me) put in HU, volume at 45(60 is max) i turned the gains slowly till max but the bass level didnt max out at all. now the question is with a high voltage pre out(4), why didnt the sub level max out? am i missing something? is there a problem some where? when the gains were set earlier the SLA was 4 rest everything flat.

when i tried to set the comps level it maxed out at around 75%.
still its way too much gai for a 4v preout.
Clip, try and measure the preout voltage of our HU. You may be surprised to find it doesn't output 4V. And your sub preouts should measure even lower in all probability.

You're doing everything right. The ESKs are not maxing out, the amp is! you are hearing clipping. Having set your amp, I can tell you that from experience. The ESKs can take 100+ watts RMS of clean power (HPF @ 80Hz) without any issues. We have them running off 100+ watts in a few TBHP members cars (Speedofreak, Driven, Harsh87 etc) and they pound!

Also, re your other query... we don't stock the EM100 midrange and CX300 crossover separately in India. Why? Simply cuz its cheaper to buy the ESK163 component set. My suggestions for your setup: Get a better amp, then go 3way.

As for the AZaudiocomp catalogue you can download it here for now.

Cheers!
Old 20th June 2007, 14:08   #6265
BHPian

Quote:
yes you can calculate the inductance if you have the ID, turn, gauge of the coil. but with a LCR bridge you dont need to unwind the coil.

BTW why are you trying to modify the XO at this stage.

Previously I thought your 6x9 was a 3 way because when you said "i have a pair of infinity 6x9 as rear fills. they are powered by the head unit. wanted to know if these speakers have some kind of XO built into it. if im not wrong, there should be a cap for the tweets(bass blocker?). what about the other 2? does the woofer and the mid have any kind of XO?... I assumed it had a woofer, a mid and a tweeter.

Now I assume your 6x9 is a 2 way with a woofer and a tweeter using a 2nd order XO. Riight?

Also I assume that your 6x9 are being driven fullrange by the HU (I thought you were using an amp).

In this case there is little you can do to control the bass being fed to your 6x9 unless your HU allows you to cut the bass to the speaker outs.

if you are discussing other speakers (like your front speakers) or you do have an amp feeding the speakers let us know.

i think i have bad communication skills and i know one day you will shoot me. :-)

ill explain again.

i have infinity 9613 reference series 3 way 6x9 as rear fills. i was asking if it has any kind of XO built in. they are powered by the HU.

i have HERTZ esk165 2 way 6 1/2" comps as front stage powered by a pio 944 amp.

i think you mixed up my 2 posts. i was talking about the gain settings in one and the infy 6x9s Xo in another post.

im not trying to modify th XO of my hertz comps. i was thinking of building an XO for the infy 6x9s

sorry about that.

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 20th June 2007 at 14:11.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:02   #6266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i
i have infinity 9613 reference series 3 way 6x9 as rear fills. i was asking if it has any kind of XO built in. they are powered by the HU.

i have HERTZ esk165 2 way 6 1/2" comps as front stage powered by a pio 944 amp.

i think you mixed up my 2 posts.
i was thinking of building an XO for the infy 6x9s
From what I know the 9613 has a simple 1st order XO for the mid as well as the tweeter. (Sam might correct me on this). This would mean that the mid has a cap and inductor while the tweeter has only a single cap and the woofer is run fullrange and allowed to roll of naturally. What part of it's sound are you unhappy with?

To prevent the 6" woofer of the ESK from overloading use a 2nd order HPF at
80Hz.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:07   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Clip, try and measure the preout voltage of our HU. You may be surprised to find it doesn't output 4V. And your sub preouts should measure even lower in all probability.

You're doing everything right. The ESKs are not maxing out, the amp is! you are hearing clipping. Having set your amp, I can tell you that from experience. The ESKs can take 100+ watts RMS of clean power (HPF @ 80Hz) without any issues. We have them running off 100+ watts in a few TBHP members cars (Speedofreak, Driven, Harsh87 etc) and they pound!

Also, re your other query... we don't stock the EM100 midrange and CX300 crossover separately in India. Why? Simply cuz its cheaper to buy the ESK163 component set. My suggestions for your setup: Get a better amp, then go 3way.

As for the AZaudiocomp catalogue you can download it here for now.

Cheers!

hi,

it isnt a 4v preout? the only reason i bought this over th 5850 was the 3 preouts and the voltage. what is the reason behind this gunman? why does pio publish 4v in the specs? is it the same with other HU like blau, kenwood, sony etc. in this price range? im really disappointed. not because i have to keep the gains at 75% but because i wasnt expecting a company to do such a thing to promote its product. maybe the have some conditions in which it would give out 4v which they didnt publish in the specs.
please shed some light on this GURUs.

i trust what you say gunbir. what in your opinion would be a good amp to drive the comps?

i tried to set the gain for the comps using a 0db 1khz test tone. when i increased the gain, i could hear it change its tone. i hope you understand what im trying to say. the tone became wider and harsher after around 70%. IMO this was the point where the amp started to clip. i backed of a little and left it there. correct me if im wrong.

that means i cant upgrade my comp to 3 way. maybe i could source it from abroad or you could help me get it. nai?

thanks for the catalog gunman.

cheers
clipping clip
Old 20th June 2007, 15:09   #6268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
80Hz.

Which can also be done through the HU also....
Old 20th June 2007, 17:45   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
From what I know the 9613 has a simple 1st order XO for the mid as well as the tweeter. (Sam might correct me on this). This would mean that the mid has a cap and inductor while the tweeter has only a single cap and the woofer is run fullrange and allowed to roll of naturally. What part of it's sound are you unhappy with?

80Hz.
hi,

i dont think 9613 has a mid range driver. and i dont think there is an inductor either. its not that i dont like a particular part, i thought it would perform much better with a proper xo. also i was thinking if there is a reference series tweeter available so that i only use the woofer of the 6x9 and use a crossover. is it a bad idea?

i think the ESK is fine as it is. its my amp which is clipping.
thanks for the suggestions navinji
clip
Old 20th June 2007, 18:21   #6270
BHPian

hi,

i just saw the specs the infinity ref 9623(i think it replaces the 9613) it has an edge driven textile dome mid and tweeter.

sam bhai, need to clarify a few things.
does the ref 9613 have a dome mid range and tweeter? is there an inductor and a cap for the mid? a cap for tweets?

cheers
clip

Most Viewed