Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2007, 00:01   #6211
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
What is the feedback on Kicker front component speakers (2-way)? I was shown the DS600 & 650 today - both would cost under 7k. Will get a demo next week sometime.
I had almost setlled on the JBL 607c, but heard it in a friend's car today, and they seemed too bright for my tastes. You had to do a lot of fiddling around with the treble settings to make them sound good. So not too sure about them now.
Any reviews on the Kickers?
Old 17th June 2007, 10:14   #6212
BHPian

Bad vendor...

Navin/Sam and all the gurus here....

I have been asking everyone here which speakers are good to go for and which one sounds good etc etc etc. And yes rightly said by all of them here, Iam asked to take a demo of the speakers and decide what my ears like.

Iam not an expert with speakers on the technical front. But my ears are very sensitive, I like to listen to quality sound of all the music I listen to. Not the kind who listen to boom boom boom and tisk tisk tisk.

My current setup are Infinity ovals and components, I like them but I feel they are too bright for my taste and now going in for an upgrade. I had been told that Focal components produce balanced sound and through a local source , I went to check out Preethi Agency(JP road, Chennai) Owner: Nandu. This guy deals with Focal, Kicker and whole lot of popular speakers. I approached him and asked him if I could take a demo of the Focals and this guy in a rude and a mocking tone, "we don' give any such demo and one more thing those speakers are for high end listeners and not for some....." whatever he meant indirectly.

There are 3 categories of customers,

1. An audiophile who had listen to Focal somewhere and know which one to buy. He approaches the vendor and buys it off the shelf without a demo.

2. An audiophile who experiments with different speakers and then decides on what to buy.

3. A customer who thinks expensive speakers sound better and blindly buy them off the shelf without listening to the way it sounds.

I wanted to know when we say listen to the speakers and buy what we like, how does it work? Let it be a JBL/Infinity licensed Vendor or anyone else there is no such thing as listen to the speakers and then buy them. Even when I wanted to buy the Infinity when asked for a demo, I was not given one, buy them or leave them. Iam not shying off the fact that there are very very few vendor's who are kind enough to give a demo, but otherwise get ignored by them or face some rude, overhead guys like this Nandu from Preethi Agency.

Any comments on this please.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 17th June 2007 at 10:24.
Old 17th June 2007, 10:19   #6213
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd never buy something from a vendor who was rude and uncooperative, no matter what he was selling.
You are well within your right to ask for a demo.

Incidentally, if you're using Kappa, you may find Focal stuff much brighter.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 17th June 2007 at 10:21.
Old 17th June 2007, 10:34   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'd never buy something from a vendor who was rude and uncooperative, no matter what he was selling.
You are well within your right to ask for a demo.

Incidentally, if you're using Kappa, you may find Focal stuff much brighter.
Well! lets face the true picture, how many licensed vendors are around who give a demo of the speakers in this category which is in discussion.

Saam thanks for the feedback on Focal. Wished I could listen to it and the HERTZ(not available here in Chennai)
Old 17th June 2007, 11:10   #6215
BHPian

@ Sam - While on the subject of demos, can you possibly recommend a shop or two in Chiang Mai, where I could demo some stuff?
Thanks in advance.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:50   #6216
Distinguished - BHPian

lol there a lot of stuff to be demoed in Chiang Mai, I'm not sure that Audio is one of them.
I'll find out what i can

There are a few Car AUdio Demo stores in Chiang Mai, perhaps not as developed as Bangkok.

P.S. You HAVE to try the spotlight bar.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 17th June 2007 at 12:00.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:51   #6217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrayv View Post
thnks mobike008...
is there any other brand available for a cheaper price?
You can try the Blaunpaunkt velocity series they are a tad cheaper, i have the same in my car, costed me about 5K or so not sure as its about 8 months since i got them installed.

@Harman_bro, i understand your predicament, even i was in same dilemma, there are no shops here in Hyd too that gives a demo. They either are too rude and straightway say sorry no demos or they want a "guarantee" that we will buy from their shop "only" . I am not comfortable with that kinda situation, its rather like being cornered to the wall.
Old 17th June 2007, 12:18   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You can try the Blaunpaunkt velocity series they are a tad cheaper, i have the same in my car, costed me about 5K or so not sure as its about 8 months since i got them installed.

@Harman_bro, i understand your predicament, even i was in same dilemma, there are no shops here in Hyd too that gives a demo. They either are too rude and straightway say sorry no demos or they want a "guarantee" that we will buy from their shop "only" . I am not comfortable with that kinda situation, its rather like being cornered to the wall.
mobike, totally sad to see this attitude from people. So how does this so called listen to your ears and buy the speakers apply?

Even the Infinity which I bought was from a Licensed dealer, whose contact details are printed on all the JBL ads that come on the automobile magazines. Here again no demo, buy them or leave them. Well! I like the speakers and bought them after reading a lot of feedback on this forum. We continue doing the same.

I end this topic here. But hope the officially available speaker brands wake up and start concentrating on customer Support and their Interests.
Old 17th June 2007, 12:37   #6219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which Blau Velocity model do you have?

Only the THc range is less than 5K (Bangalore), the Velocity components (no coax or 6x9) cost min 7.5K. You could also ask the dealer to demo you the ODx series coax (not in the catalog, but being test marketed I guess; good deal at 3.6K a pair). Usually Blau dealers don't refuse to demo. Look up dealer names in the Blau Indian website - there is usually one main one and is that likely to be the biggest Maruti dealer in your city .

Quote:
That's the usual scenario *anywhere* in India, fuelled by the fact that most customers for them are the Type 3 in @harmon_bro's list - and everyone else comes there for time-pass, according to them. Good luck to them - attitudes are changing, and they will find that, like Shell gas stations are changing the consumers' perception, they will be the losers when OTS availability and customer consciousness as demonstrated by JBL, Panasonic, Sony and the like drive the customers to Sprocket or JBL stores. Remember what happened when Suzuki was allowed into India?

I have been holding off my upgrade due to the same reason. I have listened to Blau, JBL and Infinity - and the others I won't believe till I hear them. I have always liked the concept of the German store Media Markt, who normally have a ton of brands for audition at the same place (I am sure manufacturer's give them the demo pieces). There is no pressure to buy, though they will gladly advise *if* you ask. You will buy anyway, the moment you are satisfied with the performance of the product in the demo.
Old 17th June 2007, 13:36   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
lol there a lot of stuff to be demoed in Chiang Mai, I'm not sure that Audio is one of them.
I'll find out what i can

There are a few Car AUdio Demo stores in Chiang Mai, perhaps not as developed as Bangkok.

P.S. You HAVE to try the spotlight bar.
Sure. Thanks. Unfortunately unable to spend any time in Bangkok.
Old 17th June 2007, 21:24   #6221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Sure. Thanks. Unfortunately unable to spend any time in Bangkok.
The spotlight bar is in Chiang mai lol
Old 17th June 2007, 21:36   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to butt into the spotlight bar's, well, spotlight... but was hoping someone could give me some feedback on the Kicker comps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hey guys,
What is the feedback on Kicker front component speakers (2-way)? I was shown the DS600 & 650 today - both would cost under 7k. Will get a demo next week sometime.
I had almost setlled on the JBL 607c, but heard it in a friend's car today, and they seemed too bright for my tastes. You had to do a lot of fiddling around with the treble settings to make them sound good. So not too sure about them now.
Any reviews on the Kickers?
Old 18th June 2007, 12:47   #6223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
Well! lets face the true picture, how many licensed vendors are around who give a demo of the speakers in this category which is in discussion.
NO installer whois that rude should get business. Remind him that he is selling a service. the brands he sells can also be got elsewhere.

Also see if you can find DLS, Rainbow, etc.. if you find these too bright try Morel or Dynaudio. Focal is brighter than Kappa but when mated with a goodamp can be hugely resolving. Another thing, some older Focal models came with foam surrounds on the tweeters. these did not last too long in the hot humid climate of mumbai (and chennai).
Old 18th June 2007, 13:20   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Even though good stores do have demo setup (at least for a few speakers, probably their best sellers), I see some practical problems, like-

It is difficult to ensure all the time that equalizers/processing are bypassed, HUs & amps are setup reasonably. Speakers may perform differently in demo boxes as compared to in-car environment because there may be a big difference in acoustics. There are too many variables to be considered for comparison of subtle characteristics. On the dealer's part, he may be discouraged because he may not get an expected share of business because I wouldn't be surprised to see people exploiting his demo facility and buying from other stores just to save a few bucks (which most likely does not have demo facility!) or even get the models he likes from grey market.

Because of these reasons, I find it difficult and uncomfortable exercise to "trust my ears". What are guru's views?
Old 18th June 2007, 13:30   #6225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Because of these reasons, I find it difficult and uncomfortable exercise to "trust my ears". What are guru's views?

I tend to agree more than disagree here....it is difficult to judge what will the same speaker will play in a car environment....but it will give a similar picture but again there is a very important thing installation part which plays the most critical part and in which 99% of the installer fails....

Most Viewed