Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 16:35   #6286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
ok i manageged to remove it.(broke the bloody pole thing) after opening this thing i can say that this thing cannot be removed. its glued.

sam, there isnt any inductor in this speaker. there are 2 caps though. ill try to read the cap values. ill post again

clip
Oh dear. That is terrible. You've broken the assembly.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:01   #6287
BHPian

Just proves how good this man is. Sam, thanks to be around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Guys! Clip! Please don't do this, don't disassemble a perfectly working Infinity speaker! Please!!

Navin, stop him!!
Old 21st June 2007, 17:43   #6288
BHPian

hi sam,

assembly i dont know but ive installed it back and its working fine. it was the top of the pole that broke nothing else. glued it back and its fine.

determinus - yup great guy. thanks sam.

sam bhai - theres no inductor so that makes it a 2 way xo na?

navinji - where are you?

cheers
clip
Old 21st June 2007, 18:14   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi sam,

assembly i dont know but ive installed it back and its working fine. it was the top of the pole that broke nothing else. glued it back and its fine.

determinus - yup great guy. thanks sam.

sam bhai - theres no inductor so that makes it a 2 way xo na?

navinji - where are you?

cheers
clip
One of the caps provides the HPF for the midrange driver, and the other for the tweeter. There is no filter for the 6x9" driver and it rolls off naturally like the midrange driver at the upper end. If you measure the Rdc of the mid and the tweeter we could find out the crossover frequency.
Old 21st June 2007, 19:10   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
One of the caps provides the HPF for the midrange driver, and the other for the tweeter. There is no filter for the 6x9" driver and it rolls off naturally like the midrange driver at the upper end. If you measure the Rdc of the mid and the tweeter we could find out the crossover frequency.
how do i measure dcr? i have a 200 buck DMM. is it ok for the purpose? we dont get good DMMs here. how do i go about it?

thanks
clip
Old 21st June 2007, 19:24   #6291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gunbir, is this the same amp which you reccomended earlier when i came for the upgrade? all this while, ive been thinking of bying an audison srx2s. im confused. was thinking of upgrading my sub amp to srx2s, but now i think i should buy an amp for the comps as i feel my 944 is good enough for bass duty(im satisfied with the bass i get). i can always add another sub later when i have the big red gandhis. so please suggest an audison amp which you think is the best for my comps. also suggest the cheapest from audison for the comps.
Clippo

Go for the Audison SRx2 amp. It normally goes for Rs 13400.

edited by Navin.

Last edited by navin : 22nd June 2007 at 13:10.
gunbir is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st June 2007, 19:32   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Clippo

Go for the Audison SRx2 amp. It normally goes for Rs 13400 .
Gunbir, he is already complaining about hearing clipping from the speakers when driven off the 944. So do you think he'll be happy with an amp that puts out lower power than the current scenario? He might clip it even more. Maybe he could use an amp with slightly higher power rating?

Clip, now that you've assembled the speaker back, you wont be able to measure each of the individual drive units' resistance seperately. So I think you'll have to save the project for another adventurous day.

Last edited by navin : 22nd June 2007 at 12:12.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:08   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
Clippo

Go for the Audison SRx2 amp. It normally goes for Rs 13400 Cheers.
thats a great offer. let me see if i can arrange the gandhis.i thought it would be in the region of 20k+. any other amp thats a little more powerful? how much is the srx4 amp for? i might as well power my 6x9s and leave 2 channels on 944 idle for future upgradations.

Quote:
Gunbir, he is already complaining about hearing clipping from the speakers when driven off the 944. So do you think he'll be happy with an amp that puts out lower power than the current scenario? He might clip it even more. Maybe he could use an amp with slightly higher power rating?

Clip, now that you've assembled the speaker back, you wont be able to measure each of the individual drive units' resistance seperately. So I think you'll have to save the project for another adventurous day.
b&t, the 944 devolps 75w x 4, 4 ohms at 14.4v. now how much will it put out at 12v? i think it will put out around 50w rms at 12. what do you say b&t, Gunbir paji? does the pio amp put out what is written in the specs?
the audison would be much better sq wise na? what do you say gunbir paji about the sq and the clipping thing?

B&T, i dont have any problems removing it again tomorrow. its quite easy and takes just 5 minutes. but the problem is how to check the dc resistance? i dont have a good DMM. i badly need a true rms DMM and an LCR meter. do you have any source who can courier it to me? can you help me with the prices?

Gunbir paji, you also please find out if i can get the True rms DMM and an LCR meter in delhi.

i would be very greatful if anyone can get it for me.

cheers
clip

Last edited by navin : 22nd June 2007 at 12:13.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:10   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, cuz the SRx puts out its rated power with far less distortion than the Pioneer. Clip is welcome to come and try the difference before he buys.
Old 21st June 2007, 23:58   #6295
Senior - BHPian

these are the specs of the 944 amp and I think it will be giving 65 watts at 12 volts...
Old 21st June 2007, 23:59   #6296
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
But knowing you're on a budget, the best budget amp nowadays is the Kenwood KAC-8401. We've compared it to many others in this segment (under 10K) and this is the current king. At last count, this was going for Rs 8.5K a pop.
Paaji how are the Kenwood Amp's it definitely looks good ( to show off). How is the *** in india and also how much is the 8401 with b&w. The Kenwood website is also very user friendly with specs and all. And also where is the Amp made in, Japan?
Thank you.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:04   #6297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
navinji - where are you?
Clip you are in a rush. There was an easier way. I told you I was travellling all of Thursday. I am sure I posted this info on some other thread. Anyway the damage was done and fixed.

4.7uf at 4ohms about 8kHz
2.2uf at 4ohm about 16kHz

so you know both those drivers are realyl tweeters only one handles the ultra high freq. (above 16kHz). Since the XO is 1st order there will be quite a bit of info all the way down to 2kHz coming out of the bigger tweeter (XOed at 8k/6db). The 6x9 rolls of naturally so it will produce plently till about 4kHz before it's roll off accelerates.

B&T, what to do. Cip is as enthused as I was 30 years ago. I remember that I used to wait on Lamington Road for the shops to open (Ramesh Trading Corp was always the first to open in those days).

Cip, the first experiment. Replace the caps with the yellow polyester caps made by CTR. See if you can her the difference.

Next step is to disconect both tweeters and listen to just the woofer. Listen to a lot of female voices and piano solo. THis will give you a fair idea of where the woofer starts breaking up. Once this is ascertained one needs to get the Fs (Xmax and power handling) of the lower tweeter (the one with the 4.7uf cap) and see if it can take over at a lower frequency (atbeit with a steerper crossover) say 12db @ 3-4kHz (instead of 6db at 8kHz). We'll let the higher tweeter continue to serve it's roll as a fill in.

Do you have an accurate signal generator?

Last edited by navin : 22nd June 2007 at 12:09.
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:54   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Clip you are in a rush. There was an easier way. I told you I was travellling all of Thursday. I am sure I posted this info on some other thread. Anyway the damage was done and fixed.

4.7uf at 4ohms about 8kHz
2.2uf at 4ohm about 16kHz

so you know both those drivers are realyl tweeters only one handles the ultra high freq. (above 16kHz). Since the XO is 1st order there will be quite a bit of info all the way down to 2kHz coming out of the bigger tweeter (XOed at 8k/6db). The 6x9 rolls of naturally so it will produce plently till about 4kHz before it's roll off accelerates.

B&T, what to do. Cip is as enthused as I was 30 years ago. I remember that I used to wait on Lamington Road for the shops to open (Ramesh Trading Corp was always the first to open in those days).

Cip, the first experiment. Replace the caps with the yellow polyester caps made by CTR. See if you can her the difference.

Next step is to disconect both tweeters and listen to just the woofer. Listen to a lot of female voices and piano solo. THis will give you a fair idea of where the woofer starts breaking up. Once this is ascertained one needs to get the Fs (Xmax and power handling) of the lower tweeter (the one with the 4.7uf cap) and see if it can take over at a lower frequency (atbeit with a steerper crossover) say 12db @ 3-4kHz (instead of 6db at 8kHz). We'll let the higher tweeter continue to serve it's roll as a fill in.

Do you have an accurate signal generator?
hi navinji,

sorry about that. yes i was excited and i still am. will try to be more patient in future. the damage is fixed and working perfectly normal.

so now i know the xo frequencies. thanks :-)

navinji how i wish i could diy anything. im badly infected. and im really thankful to all of you. ive learned alot from you guys.

navinji, i dont think these caps are available in my city. to say the truth i dont know what they look like and how to identify a polyester cap.
The CTR caps are made in india right? the company is based in aurangabad if im not wrong. if its the same co. then the caps should be available here. ill see if i can find anything. navinji can you post a pic of the CTR cap?

when i find the caps ill go to the next step. cant wait :-)

i dont have a signal generator. what i have is a software known as TRUE RTA. if thats accurate enough let me know.

cheers
clip
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:19   #6299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i dont have a signal generator. what i have is a software known as TRUE RTA. if thats accurate enough let me know.

cheers
clip
Ya it will work very fine...
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:14   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ya it will work very fine...
hi,

i think its a nice program. have you used this program LBM? can you or navinji suggest a mic for measurements?

cheers
clip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks