Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 13:54   #6226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I tend to agree more than disagree here....
What do you mean... I am not generally supposed to be agreeable? ...just kidding!
Old 18th June 2007, 13:56   #6227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Speakers may perform differently in demo boxes as compared to in-car environment because there may be a big difference in acoustics....
I wouldn't be surprised to see people exploiting his demo facility and buying from other stores just to save a few bucks (which most likely does not have demo facility!) or even get the models he likes from grey market.
I agree that speakers perform differently in demo boxes than in an in car enviroment. This affects the bass more than the HF. When I demo a speaker in a box I look for a nice smooth response from 10Hs to 6kHz. this is not diffcult.

Beyond that at the extremes one needs a in car demo. Now the lucky part is taht the ear is not as sensitive outside the 100Hz to 6kHz range as it is within it. Also a bit a fine tuning using the sub box, XOs and amps can help.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:17   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
NO installer whois that rude should get business. Remind him that he is selling a service. the brands he sells can also be got elsewhere.

Also see if you can find DLS, Rainbow, etc.. if you find these too bright try Morel or Dynaudio. Focal is brighter than Kappa but when mated with a goodamp can be hugely resolving. Another thing, some older Focal models came with foam surrounds on the tweeters. these did not last too long in the hot humid climate of mumbai (and chennai).
Navin,

Any contacts where I find Morel and Dynaudio here in Chennai? DLS and Rainbow is also dealt by the same snob.

Thanks.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:56   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Also see if you can find DLS, Rainbow, etc.. if you find these too bright try Morel or Dynaudio. Focal is brighter than Kappa but when mated with a goodamp can be hugely resolving. Another thing, some older Focal models came with foam surrounds on the tweeters. these did not last too long in the hot humid climate of mumbai (and chennai).
Harmon, aren't your Infinity speakers from the Reference range (and not the Kappas)? I'm a bit confused here.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:59   #6230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Harmon, aren't your Infinity speakers from the Reference range (and not the Kappas)? I'm a bit confused here.
Hi Gunbir,

Its is the Reference series and not the Kappas.
Old 18th June 2007, 15:47   #6231
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah so you have the reference XX10 series.
The new reference XX20 series are far less bright now.

Navin himself uses the same components as you, however he has performed some modifications on the crossover that have given him exactly what he wants.

But BEFORE you perform those modifications, check your crossover if it is set at 0dB or +3dB. If it is at +3dB, make is 0dB and the highs will reduce.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:53   #6232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually Sam my wife uses the xx10 with a modified XO. the xx20 XO my mom uses is not modified. I have not spent too much time with my mom's car but so far my mom has not complained of an overly bright speaker.

the modifications done to my wife's xx10 XO were just a 0.5db change in the averaged freq. response but what I relly think helped was a lower Q of the crossover. I find XOs with higher Q to ring a bit. On the other hand higher Q also offer a bit more protection.
Old 18th June 2007, 17:05   #6233
BHPian

hi,

i have a pair of infinity 6x9 as rear fills. they are powered by the head unit. wanted to know if these speakers have some kind of XO built into it. if im not wrong, there should be a cap for the tweets(bass blocker?). what about the other 2? does the woofer and the mid have any kind of XO?
if yes, what are the XO cutoff frequencies?

cheers
clip
Old 18th June 2007, 17:10   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Navin himself uses the same components as you, however he has performed some modifications on the crossover that have given him exactly what he wants.

But BEFORE you perform those modifications, check your crossover if it is set at 0dB or +3dB. If it is at +3dB, make is 0dB and the highs will reduce.
Will check them out today SAM thanks a ton.
Old 18th June 2007, 17:33   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Navinji, hats off to your audiophile family!! On a lighter note, just wondering, are your wife & mom as discerning as you are? Do they really demand 0.5db tweaking, or is it only you who kind of force it onto them?
Old 18th June 2007, 19:06   #6236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do they really demand 0.5db tweaking, or is it only you who kind of force it onto them?
nice question santosh....
Old 18th June 2007, 20:11   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navinji, hats off to your audiophile family!! On a lighter note, just wondering, are your wife & mom as discerning as you are? Do they really demand 0.5db tweaking, or is it only you who kind of force it onto them?
At least he is gently guiding his son in the right audiophile direction at the right age. I think junior, if he is a chip off the ol' block, will be a discerning person even if he doesn't get into the details. Some standards Navin is setting !
Old 19th June 2007, 00:01   #6238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My wife's ear is actually quite good esp in the critical midrange. My sister's ear is better but she has lived with me for 17 years (till I was exiled) and has a hubby who rolls his own wire. My mom is getting old, but my dad was an "audiophile" too so I think she might be able to hold her own against other women of her generation (excluding the pros like Doreen Bance).
BTW when I was making speakers it was my sister's ear and later my wife's ear I used to judge if what I was doing actually sounded better.

The human ear is very good in the midrange and a wide trough even though it is only 0.5db (as measured using MLSSA) can be heard in this area. I found this out accidently while fine tuning the baffle step compensation of a pair of speakers about 12 years ago.

Another person who I know can back me up is Richard Vandersteen. His findings have proven that the human ear is far more selective than we give it credit for.

Last edited by navin : 19th June 2007 at 00:03.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:18   #6239
BHPian

Gurus - need your help.

I have a pioneer 4950 HU and I need to fit speakers for my Safari. Have some old crappy speakers which I need to discard.

Which will fit in the Safari OE boxes (front and rear) Theres also one box in the rearmost door(the tyre door)
Which will need no modification
Which sounds clear (and a wee bit of bass if possible)
Less than 7K overall

I went through the Sony and JBL sites, but that confused me even more. I was told by LBM to get the JBL GTO series, but I dont know which model.

I need the exact model of speakers please.

Ill just go to the shop, ask for the speakers and get it fixed, thats all.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:39   #6240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Gurus - need your help.

I have a pioneer 4950 HU and I need to fit speakers for my Safari. Have some old crappy speakers which I need to discard.

Which will fit in the Safari OE boxes (front and rear) Theres also one box in the rearmost door(the tyre door)
Which will need no modification
Which sounds clear (and a wee bit of bass if possible)
Less than 7K overall

I went through the Sony and JBL sites, but that confused me even more. I was told by LBM to get the JBL GTO series, but I dont know which model.

I need the exact model of speakers please.

Ill just go to the shop, ask for the speakers and get it fixed, thats all.
for the front you can go for GTO 607 component and for the rear you can go for GTO 937

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks