Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 11:39   #6076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
this DLS comes with B/W for 17k.
Close enough. Thanks. Santosh you have 8 brands to listen to!
Old 7th June 2007, 12:16   #6077
Senior - BHPian

that is pretty big list indeed!

Navin, did you mean infinity kappa PERFECT? Can I have it for Rs 15K? guess not. Which models/series from Illusion/Rainbow/Diamond are you referring to?

Can somebody tell me where to listen to Illusion,Rainbow, diamond, focal? (in bangalore)

No offense to sellers here, but net shopping prices seem to be tooooo tempting to me. One can easily get higher line models at the cost of entry level indian prices of renowned brands (or may be even less). Alpine type-R is quite cheap- about 150USD, little less than the polk-momo carbon fiber model that I had mentioned. kappa perfect and alpine type-X (probably alpine's top line?) for about $200! Loss of warranty and the pain of transporting looks like a small price to pay.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:25   #6078
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest if someone is coming back from dubai and singapore try those channels they will be defiantly the cheapest and the best ones.....
Old 7th June 2007, 12:43   #6079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Can somebody tell me where to listen to Illusion,Rainbow, diamond, focal? (in bangalore)

No offense to sellers here, but net shopping prices seem to be tooooo tempting to me. One can easily get higher line models at the cost of entry level indian prices of renowned brands (or may be even less). Alpine type-R is quite cheap- about 150USD, little less than the polk-momo carbon fiber model that I had mentioned. kappa perfect and alpine type-X (probably alpine's top line?) for about $200! Loss of warranty and the pain of transporting looks like a small price to pay.
Yes, you're right about the pricing part. Most companies have overpriced their products in the Indian market to offset Import Customs, Freight, Inter-state Taxes, Distributor, Stockist and Dealer/Installer margins.

End of the day, its a call each importer has to make. Consider JBL and Infinity which are reasonably priced, or our pricing where we retail a $400 HSK165 for Rs 15300 inclusive of all taxes.

As for listening to Illusion, PM B&T. For Focal, contact Preeti Trading Corporation for a list of retailers. For Rainbow, you will have to wait a while before it arrives here. And Diamond is in the process of closing down, so don't expect an official entry into India.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:46   #6080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
Where in Madras can I take a demo of the HERTZ and FOCAL speakers?
Sorry Harmon, HERTZ isn't available in Madras yet (soon though). Your nearest (not really) demo would be in Cochin.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:49   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Navinji & LBM paji! (never mind, LBM-ji sounds funny... thought pa-ji was better )

Hope suggestions & comments keep coming from other experts too...
Old 7th June 2007, 13:08   #6082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Most companies have overpriced their products in the Indian market to offset Import Customs, Freight, Inter-state Taxes, Distributor, Stockist and Dealer/Installer margins.
Gunbir, I am aware of and appreciate that. As a end user, I am probably thinking rather selfishly. But I don't see anything wrong either, in finding out best possible deals!
Old 7th June 2007, 13:30   #6083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gunbir, I am aware of and appreciate that. As a end user, I am probably thinking rather selfishly. But I don't see anything wrong either, in finding out best possible deals!
Nothing wrong with that at all... happy hunting...
Old 7th June 2007, 14:06   #6084
Team-BHP Support

If I am not too much of a fan of that low SUB bass sound, and want good midrange and upper BASS(70Hz+) does it make sense for me not to waste money on a Sub+box and instead spend that moolah to get Infinity Reference series or Even Kappa(If I rob a bank)
Old 7th June 2007, 14:23   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If I am not too much of a fan of that low SUB bass sound, and want good midrange and upper BASS(70Hz+) does it make sense for me not to waste money on a Sub+box and instead spend that moolah to get Infinity Reference series or Even Kappa(If I rob a bank)
Tanveer to make the sound complete a sub does a major job.....so I would recommend to audition some more installs before going in....you can switch off and on the sub to heard the difference.....
Old 7th June 2007, 14:25   #6086
Senior - BHPian

my 2 cents... why don't you look for speakers known to have good extension on the lower side? polk mmc6500 that I had mentioned seems to have it, a lot of it in fact (warning: entirely based on reviews! see post #6079 for links)
Old 7th June 2007, 14:30   #6087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my 2 cents... why don't you look for speakers known to have good extension on the lower side? polk mmc6500 that I had mentioned seems to have it, a lot of it in fact (warning: entirely based on reviews! see post #6079 for links)
they have good power handleing but they are not woofer they are midbasses which an play good above the 80-100 hz range in which these have trouble producing the sub 80 hertz .......so one can play them low but they cannot even replace a good 8 inch sub.....
Old 7th June 2007, 14:36   #6088
Senior - BHPian

you are right, but my suggestion was more for the case when he gets rid of sub. I know that subwoofer is indispensable, no matter how good other speakers are! Even with a sub, woofers with clean low end should be better because they will blend smoothly instead of getting stressed, no?

Last edited by santosh.s : 7th June 2007 at 14:43.
Old 7th June 2007, 15:17   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
they have good power handleing but they are not woofer they are midbasses which an play good above the 80-100 hz range in which these have trouble producing the sub 80 hertz .......so one can play them low but they cannot even replace a good 8 inch sub.....
No... if my memory serves me right, one of the reviewers said that they can "comfortably" be crossed over at 60Hz, even lower but did not recommend below 60 due to long term damage it may cause. Another one said something like- "I had to look around to ensure that the sub was switched off!". Of course, I am taking all that with at least a handful of salt, but the bottom line is that they are quite capable. I also remember a hardcore audiophile referring to carbon-fiber as an excellent material for low frequencies (in general, not in relation to the concerned product).
Old 7th June 2007, 16:31   #6090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No... if my memory serves me right, one of the reviewers said that they can "comfortably" be crossed over at 60Hz, even lower but did not recommend below 60 due to long term damage it may cause. Another one said something like- "I had to look around to ensure that the sub was switched off!". Of course, I am taking all that with at least a handful of salt, but the bottom line is that they are quite capable. I also remember a hardcore audiophile referring to carbon-fiber as an excellent material for low frequencies (in general, not in relation to the concerned product).
Having used this set a few times, I can tell you that it does go down to 60Hz comfortably. No doubt the reviews you are referring to are a tad exaggerated. Also, you may already know this, but be prepared to dampen your doors well.

Though you will have better midrange if you XO at around 70-80Hz. If you want great midrange AND upfront low frequency capabilities, look at a 3way component set. Of course, if all one listens to is hip hop, then a little loss in midrange quality isn't much of an issue.

Last edited by gunbir : 7th June 2007 at 16:32.

Most Viewed