Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 18:31   #5326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Today must be my lucky day,.....
b) Prabu actually found some post of mine useful (I suspect it was Sam's post and he is mistaken but I'll take the credit, Sam wont mind. He's been thanked many more times).
Navin, you do not have to be modest. Maybe you are only pretending , but jokes apart, I distinctly remember you posting different combinations for a budget I had suggested. I am an automobile newbie - I know no technicals and just enjoy the drive. And if you talk of audio, I am a toddler. So your advice was of great help. I tried out those combinations and chose the one I liked best.
Old 7th February 2007, 20:35   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
Is there any further modification needed for the same.
pshyamsundar, I'm assuming that your HU has aux-in. (Could you let us know which HU you have?)

You'll first need the following 2 items to get music into your HU:
1) Nokia Pop-port to 3.5mm adapter
2) An EP to RCA cable (MX is a great brand. Unbranded cables of this type are available in any electronic store from Rs.20/-)

If you have an N70 Music Edition, you already have item 1 with you (it comes with the phone). This is the adapter:

This is the AD-46 adapter.

This is the AD-15 adapter.

If you don't have one, your local mobile shop will have one. The original runs to 1300/- and the "local" one runs to about 300/-

Details of both are here: Nokia - Audio adapters

Plug the adapter into the phone. Plug the EP end of the EP-to-RCA cable into the adapter. Plug the RCAs into your HU's aux-in ports (some HUs have proprietary aux-in ports, but the service guys will have adapters to connect for these to RCAs). You're good to go.
Old 7th February 2007, 21:31   #5328
BHPian

Hi, What hydrashok told is absolutely right. Works pretty well - I use it along with my N72. If you use powermp3 kinda player on your Nseries, that would be much better compared to default Nokia's player.
My post may appear in a delay and FYI, this was for a query of pshyamsundar.
Old 8th February 2007, 09:06   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) 6 speakers connected to a 4 ch. amp? Now I am confused funnily I have seen someone else do this as well. the components were connected in parallel to the front channels and the 6x9 to the rear. have you done this as well? Do what the Gurus above have suggested.

b) the big advantage a 6x9 has over a 6" is that a 6x9 has the surface area of about a 8" woofer which is about 1.5 times that of a 6" woofer hence a 6x9 can puch 1.5 times more air and produce more bass. Now I cant understand how you balanced out a bass heavy system (components only) by adding a pair of 6x9s. I suspect that maybe your components were not connected properly.

c) following from (b) above since you have a 12" subwoofer (which has a surface area of about 2 8" or 6x9 woofers) there is no need for the 6x9. The 12" will perform bass duties adequately.

d) gains of all amps should be set to about 50-70% of full. there are atleast 2 reasons to do this. (i) You get more control in the front (ii) most gain pots are most linear over the central part of their range they are not accurate over the extremes so it best not to use them this way.

e) Deepak sells Polk speakers. If you represnted Polk would you not advise everyone to dump their current speakers and get Polk? I would! Now Polk is a fine brand (notwithstanding the tall man in the white lab coat) but given your setup I think you can do better by tuning your current equipment than by changing buying newer components.

f) Lastly when tuning your system (no matter what music you listen to) start here
LPF for sub: 80Hz, HPF for front and rear speakers 80Hz. All EQ setting should be flat. Now first tune your front components then bring in the bass and lastly bring in the rear components.

P.S
g) Where are the component tweeters mounted? A Pillar, Door, or Dash?
Hi Navin,

Very interesting suggestions. Will definitely try it out. You have precisely understood what i went through and the reason for me installing the 6X9s.

The tweeters for the front components are placed on the dash and the tweeters for the rear components are placed (stuck) on the rear pillars above the rear head rests.

Yes Deepak sells Polk but what i liked about him was that he did not advise me to change the speakers to Polk in the first instance only, unlike other dealers. Instead, he actually advised me to meet up with B&T (Ajay) and get the system tuned. If i was still not happy, only then should i consider changing to Polk.

Epic
Old 8th February 2007, 11:46   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes Deepak sells Polk but what i liked about him was that he did not advise me to change the speakers to Polk in the first instance only, unlike other dealers. Instead, he actually advised me to meet up with B&T (Ajay) and get the system tuned. If i was still not happy, only then should i consider changing to Polk.
Epic
True. Deepak sells Polk, I don't. He just wanted the system to be assessed, nothing else. He did not ask me to recommend Polk to Epic or ask him to change his speakers to Polk, neither did I tell Epic to use some brand that I represent. In fact Epic asked me whether it will make a difference if he switched to Polk. I told him there will be a difference, but that he should sort out the current system, hear it at its maximum potential, and then decide whether he really needs something better or worse.

Edit: I'm not sure if Deepak still carries Polk, or was carrying it when this happened a few months ago.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 8th February 2007 at 11:48.
Old 8th February 2007, 13:30   #5331
BHPian

Hi,
I am facing some problem with my ICE setup...
When driving if i horn....i hear the humming sound from the speakers and when i turn off the head unit and restart again the problem wont be there...
also i have noticed sometimes when turning off the car and when i get out sometimes i feel very light SHOCK while closing the door...and when i again touch the door ...nothing will be there ...i assume thats the Ground Problem is it?
Old 8th February 2007, 15:56   #5332
BHPian

Hydrashok i have jvc kd g805 head unit and i am not very sure whether it supports aux in. I am planning to upgrade my headunit to Alphine 9856. I think that will have aux input.

the phone i have is nokia n73 music edition. so i have Point 1. Where do i get point 2 that you have mentioned.

An EP to RCA cable (MX is a great brand. Unbranded cables of this type are available in any electronic store from Rs.20/-)

thanks in advance for your reply
Old 8th February 2007, 16:09   #5333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
also i have noticed sometimes when turning off the car and when i get out sometimes i feel very light SHOCK while closing the door...and when i again touch the door ...nothing will be there ...i assume thats the Ground Problem is it?
Nope, not a ground problem. Your car runs at 12V and you wont feel the "shock" (from most places, anyways, but that's another story)

Most probably the SHOCK you feel is a discharge of static. Because of the material of your seat covers.
Old 8th February 2007, 19:22   #5334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
Hi,
I am facing some problem with my ICE setup...
When driving if i horn....i hear the humming sound from the speakers and when i turn off the head unit and restart again the problem wont be there...
get your wiring checked and if that does not solve it check the horn relay something is amiss but unless one can hear this we cant say for sure.

P.S
I agree with Sam about static. does it happen in summer as well or only in winter?
Old 8th February 2007, 23:01   #5335
BANNED

Static electricity can cause many unwanted problems. I used to be sacred to shake hands with some of my friends simply because of this. They always used to come fully charged. You can try changing the seat materials but it can arise due to your clothing and climate too. Nothing much can be done it seems.

That horn problem is not due to static. You'll have to check up your wiring. And also the electrical fittings like relays and alternator etc...
Old 8th February 2007, 23:05   #5336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
An EP to RCA cable (MX is a great brand. Unbranded cables of this type are available in any electronic store from Rs.20/-)
pshyamsundar, an EP to RCA cable will be available in any electronics supplies store. At one end the cable has an earphone-type jack (also called "stereo jack") and at the other end it has two RCA jacks.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:49   #5337
BHPian

Quote:
f) Lastly when tuning your system (no matter what music you listen to) start here
LPF for sub: 80Hz, HPF for front and rear speakers 80Hz. All EQ setting should be flat. Now first tune your front components then bring in the bass and lastly bring in the rear components.
Hi Navin,

need an advice.

on the amp powering the rears and front tweets( dont have fr speakers as of now..getting comps for the fr ) i have set the crossover to full so that i can control the freq from my HU's hpf. ive done this so that when i dont want the subs to play i have more bass from the rears as i switch off the HPF on my HU. is this a right thing to do? IMO this wont damage the rears. what do you think of this??

thanks

rishabh sehgal
Old 9th February 2007, 15:53   #5338
Senior - BHPian

it will depend on the rear speaker capacity and the amp power......also if the amp is running without any clipping and you dont hear any distortion from them ....then ever thing is fine.........
Old 9th February 2007, 16:19   #5339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Static electricity can cause many unwanted problems. I used to be sacred to shake hands with some of my friends simply because of this. They always used to come fully charged. You can try changing the seat materials but it can arise due to your clothing and climate too. Nothing much can be done it seems.
To add to that, many times footwear or floor mats can also be culprits.
Old 9th February 2007, 16:23   #5340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hpf. ive done this so that when i dont want the subs to play i have more bass from the rears as i switch off the HPF on my HU. is this a right thing to do? IMO this wont damage the rears. what do you think of this??
At low levels this is ok. Let me tell you a secret.

I set my Amps to HPF at 50Hz. This way when my car comes back from servicing where they have removed the battery and my HU has lost it's settings I am not feeding my front or rear speakers anythig below 50Hz. A minimum level of protection.

On the HU my front HPF is 63Hz and rear is 80Hz. Sub LPF is 80Hz.

Downside this does roll off my main speakers quite fast esp below 50Hz and there are some phase issues associated with that but this is only audible when the car is sitting in a quite envrioment and all one is doing is listening to music. Whislt driving in traffic (with a wife and son) this is not noticeable at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks