Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 11:19   #5371
BHPian

hey Sam & Navin;
I got myself Blauounk 4" round speaker in front for 1800....and did the connection as follows;
Rear out HU->Front Baupunk 4" speaker
Ampli to JBL Base tube & Rear 6x9 pioneer speaker....
My installer told me ... as the front 4" is not compo speakers it wont help me Amping the front speakers.
So rgt now am not getting the fader effect....can u people please help me out to optimize my settings?
Suggest me the optimal settings for ma...ICE.
and 1 more q?
In Amp i have set Bass to HPF ON &
REAR SPEAKERS to LPF OFF...
Is that the right way?
plz advice....
Old 20th February 2007, 11:47   #5372
BHPian

Best 4" speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If your not happy then just amp the rear speakers and let the fronts run directly run off the HU. This is what I have done in my alto. My front 4" are running off the HU and the rears are amped. I have tuned it so that the soundstage is as towards the front as possible.
Amping the rears would give you good options for bass. But for the front soundstage, you will have to fade them, and also use the front speakers. If you are fading out the rears, there seems no point to amp them, is there?

Ash-wins, I very very highly recommend giving a listen to the Infinity Referene 4012i, the best 4" speaker I have listened to. They are mind blowing. I have them as rear fills in my Adventure, and the mids are amazing. I have set the HPF at 80Hz. It makes immense sense to amp such speakers. (BTW, cost ~3k)

And vid, you might too, if you really need some brilliant sound stage upfront.

Last edited by determinus : 20th February 2007 at 11:50.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:55   #5373
Team-BHP Support

Yeah but amping the 4" fronts also i had to reduce the gain since it distorts easily. The rears then have no power.

i haven't faded the fronts at all. I just fiddled around with the amp gain and instead of close to max gain, (in which I couldnt cross volume 10) I set it up to half way. That way I can crank up the volume to exercise the fronts and the rears also provide good bass and vocals.

Yeah I should see the infinities. Need to change in steps slowly first front speakers, then 4 channel amp the rear speakers.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th February 2007 at 11:56.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:58   #5374
BHPian

navin,
Thanks for your excellent advice.
Would you recommend an inline capacitor to further attenuate the low frequencies from the rather basic 4" speakers?
What exactly does damping the front doors involve - Dynamat, sprays? And should the boot (where the sub will reside) & other 3 doors also be damped?

The most exciting phrase in science is not "Eureka!" (I found it!), but probably "That's funny...."
Old 20th February 2007, 12:11   #5375
BHPian

Hey NAvin & Sam ;
Am still waiting for your advices....
others valuable advice are welcome...i am confused..
i got Blupunk as was desperate and was short of cash....
So plz help me to optimize my HU.....
Old 20th February 2007, 12:35   #5376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
2)In the amp there is settings in HPF & LPF where i need to use a screw driver...(it reads as 1,2,3....) is it the gain?
3)Am not clear with the HU settings can you please be a bit more specific on the HU settings issue keeping my taste for Loud Thump & Vocal in mind..
I dont keep track of exact costs or model numbers. Sorry.

a 4" speaker wont be happy with too much bass. so you need to HPF it at 100 or 125Hz. You cna HPF it at 80Hz if you dont play too loud.

Let your sub or 6x9 do the thumping. The sub should be LPFed at 100hz or so.

gains levels should be between 50-70% of full. use the HU (not hte gain levels) to set the volume.
Old 20th February 2007, 12:39   #5377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Would you recommend an inline capacitor to further attenuate the low frequencies from the rather basic 4" speakers?
What exactly does damping the front doors involve - Dynamat, sprays? And should the boot (where the sub will reside) & other 3 doors also be damped?
no need for the cap. the cap only rolls of at 6db/oct while most active HPFs roll off at 12 or 24db/oct.

dynamat, worth, etc will do. front doors are the most problematic.

a) you are cloest to them so hear them easiest
b) the window winders can rattle

in short damp everything that rattles.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:59   #5378
BHPian

Hi;
thnz for reply , but am not clear
sorry for being so dumbo
I did'nt get what you meant by [4" speaker wont be happy with too much bass. so you need to HPF{I have HPF off(rear speaker) & LPF On(woofer)...plz clarify}
it at 100 or 125Hz]
do u mean to say keep HPF & LPF )n for speaker and Sub respectively?
Old 20th February 2007, 14:49   #5379
Team-BHP Support

front: HPF ON at 100 or 125 Hz
Rear (6x9): HPF OFF or HPF ON at 63Hz (your choice)
Sub: LPF ON at 80Hz.
Old 20th February 2007, 15:15   #5380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
front: HPF ON at 100 or 125 Hz
Rear (6x9): HPF OFF or HPF ON at 63Hz (your choice)
Sub: LPF ON at 80Hz.
Ideally Rear HPF on at 80Hz to prevent phase related trouble with respect to the subwoofer.
Old 20th February 2007, 16:24   #5381

Hi

May I please know the model number of Kenwood HU that comes factory-fitted with Esteem and, if possible, price of it. also 2 kenwood rear speakers ( again that come factory-fitted).

Is it worth to buy these things ( brand new ) for Rs. 4200?
Old 20th February 2007, 17:25   #5382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
Hi; thnz for reply , but am not clear. sorry for being so dumbo

I did'nt get what you meant by [4" speaker wont be happy with too much bass. so you need to HPF{I have HPF off(rear speaker) & LPF On(woofer)...plz clarify} it at 100 or 125Hz] do u mean to say keep HPF & LPF )n for speaker and Sub respectively?
Ash-wins, if you are still in doubt get a dekho at the glossary section on how these settings help.

What Navin is trying to tell you is (Do excuse me Navin, I am just trying Queen's English): From your music signal, send all frequencies below 80Hz to the subwoofer (LPF@80). Now send the remaining -- above 80Hz -- to your speakers (HPF@80). Done. But, since your front speakers are small and cannot handle such low frequencies, send only those above 100Hz to the 4" ones (HPF@100).

PS: And what B&T is telling you is that if you have a subwoofer with LPF@80, it is advised that you keep your nearby speakers set HPF@80, so that the signal is clearly split and there would not be any, 'mix-up' issues. As he says, ideally so. Wouldnt be such a major issue.

Last edited by determinus : 20th February 2007 at 17:31.
Old 20th February 2007, 20:20   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_tyagi View Post
Hi

May I please know the model number of Kenwood HU that comes factory-fitted with Esteem and, if possible, price of it. also 2 kenwood rear speakers ( again that come factory-fitted).

Is it worth to buy these things ( brand new ) for Rs. 4200?
guess its KDC-4023 or somethin..not very sure though....ITs a very basic HU nd the Sound Quality is fairly good...4200 is ok for it..But the stock factory speakers are crap....So dont buy the speakers...Get better ones.....Say a 6x9 or so...

Last edited by angelfire : 20th February 2007 at 20:24.
Old 20th February 2007, 22:39   #5384
BHPian

Navin,
Thanks. Doing some research on the 4-channel amp & the loaded, sealed enclosure. Will get get back with more queries soon.
Old 21st February 2007, 10:30   #5385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
PS: And what B&T is telling you is that if you have a subwoofer with LPF@80, it is advised that you keep your nearby speakers set HPF@80, so that the signal is clearly split and there would not be any, 'mix-up' issues. As he says, ideally so. Wouldnt be such a major issue.
B&T is more current that I. so are Sam, Gunbir, Autophile, Blue Raven and many others. I would follow their advise before I do my own. What I do follow are MY ears.

The reason I suggested HPF the 6x9 at 63Hz (or even 50Hz) is that the midbass hump caused by having 2 6x9s and a 12" operting in tandem is quite liked by many in a car. The enviroment in a car suffers from road noise (esp if you have steel belted radials) and this is also about 60-80Hz. The boost caused by having 3 speakers operating over the same range makes this less noticeable.

a) Tune your system in an idle car
b) Then turn on the engine, drive and listen to the same tuning. Do you not feel that the bass has reduced a bit? That is road noise.

In short do what YOUR ears tell you to do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks