Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 20:47   #5506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
How tight a budget....leave the rear 6x9 for now.

get the 6850 and a pair of nice components in the front (5" components fit easily and maybe you can even fit a 6" compnent with a spacer).

Components will cost you 5.5-6K per pair. If you still have money left over 7K or so will get you a ncie amp for all 4 speakers.
Quote:
You can get 5" coax speakers from many brands Blau and JBL CS series come to mind that will fit in the zen door. However with a 3/4 -1" spacer maybe even a 6" coax will fit.
So the best ones to buy would be JBL or Blaupunkt, not any others? I guess ill get the rear speakers serviced and put new ones up front..seems the best bet, especially when i spend my time up front driving! Although i find it hard to justify spending 5k on front speakers....
Old 14th March 2007, 22:36   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
i guess 5.1ch amps are different. I think the TRU amp which KB100 has is a 5.1ch. I'm not sure.
no, his wasnt a 5.1 channel one. it was a 4 channel one.

deepakv: it depends on once taste But what most do is have a good quality speaker where one sits. So if one drives, teh frnt ones. But then some do get compos for rear too

Last edited by jkdas : 14th March 2007 at 22:38.
Old 15th March 2007, 01:25   #5508

Emperor?....(Please mention the exact location of the shop?)
Old 15th March 2007, 01:40   #5509

Hi Sam,Navin and others,
I am a newbie and please help me setting up audio in my new car(scorpio crde slx 8seater). I listen to all types of music.I have no brand preferences.I have certain queries and please help me..
1) which is the best set up under 40k(including amps,woofer,wiring etc)?
Please tell me all the stuffs with brand names I needed (including things for wiring) because I know nothing about the audio setup
2)Is the stock music system in scorpio(crde slx) is good?
3)I dont want to sacrifice my boot space and so please tell other options to install the music system?
4)No compromise in music quality

Quote:
1) what music do you listen to?
2) Trunk space is usually required only for subwoofers. If you are willing to sacrifice the quality and/or quality of the bass there are solutions that do not consume too much trunk space.
1)Usually I listen to songs like safri duo,system of a down,linkin prk etc....
2)My car is scorpio crde slx 8 seater.So is there any options to install the system on the doors or something(No compromise in quality)
3)If there is no way then tell me next best solution

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2007 at 03:33.
Old 15th March 2007, 08:11   #5510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjp View Post
Emperor?....(Please mention the exact location of the shop?)
In Palarivattom, after Varkeys (on the RHS -- same side as Varkeys) when you are going towards Kakkanad.
Old 15th March 2007, 08:41   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI have no brand preferences.I have certain queries and please help me..
1) which is the best set up under 40k(including amps,woofer,wiring etc)?
Please tell me all the stuffs with brand names I needed (including things for wiring) because I know nothing about the audio setup
2)Is the stock music system in scorpio(crde slx) is good?
3)I dont want to sacrifice my boot space and so please tell other options to install the music system?
4)No compromise in music quality
1) Fronts: 6.5" comps (JBL CS2165c or Hertz DSK165 or other options from Blau/Alpine) = About 5500/-
2) Rears: 6.5" co-axials (JBL CS2165 or Hertz DCX165 or other options from Blau/Alpine) = About 3500/-
3) Speaker Amp: JBL GTO75.4 = 13,000/-
4) Sub: JBL GT4-12 12" sub driver + custom ported box = 5000/- + 1500/- = 6500/-
5) Sub Amp: JBL CS300.1 = 11,000 (approx.)
6) Wiring (Power + RCA; Power - Stinger/Twister/Scosche/Audison; RCA - Audison): 6000/-

TOTAL = About 45,500/- (All with B&W; Discounts should bring this down a bit)

HU: I've not included a HU here, as you have a HU in the Scorpio already. It must be a Kenwood (they used to be the OEM). The HU probably has only 1 preout, so you might need to use a Y-adapter for RCAs to the 75.4, and then take the pre-out (output for daisy-chaining the amps) from the 75.4 to the 300.1.

Later, when you have the budget, change the HU to one with 3-preouts. If you want to change the HU now, you won't get much for the HU, and you will have to compromise on the speakers/amps, which will not do in a Scorpio.

But if your HU is a cassette-player wallah HU, maybe you should change it for a CD/MP3 one and get the sub & sub-amp later.

Boot space: You will need the sub for best output in that big cabin. If you get a sub, you will lose out a bit on boot-space. An option is to mount the sub on the tailgate as NIP has done in his Scorpio (he did 2 subs) here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...scorpio-6.html
But this will involve more expenditure on damping.

Coming to damping, I have not included it in the budget here. It will run to about 3-4K. If you can, stretch the budget and get it done immediately. Else compromise for a Pio 12" sub (& save about 2.5K) and use that extra for the damping. Or do the damping later.
You can also go through this thread (Scorpio install): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...g-added-3.html

EDIT: If you go for JBL CS series speakers, maybe a CS 60.4 amp (@8000/-) might do in place of the GTO 75.4 if you want to cut the budget down.

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th March 2007 at 08:50.
Old 15th March 2007, 11:08   #5512
BANNED

That was a great explanation by Hydra.

I would suggest to use a pio 6100 4channel amp for speakers and save some dough.

These days, Scorpio comes with Xenos HU. It's very much opposite to anything good.
Old 15th March 2007, 12:44   #5513
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy I missed a lot last night.

Tsk, the HU you are looking at has a sub out and 4 speaker outs. I'd suggest you use it that way. Connect the 4 speaker outs to 4 speakers and the sub out to the 552 sony amp (bridged) and then to a small (read as less tha 12") sub. Doint worry about 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 etc...

BTW just to confuse you there are 4 ch. amps that claim to be able to drive 4 speakers and 2 subs using something called Tri-Phase cnnections. However this is not advisable unless the amp is specifically designed (not all amps that claim to be designed are so outfitted) for this purpose. The primary reason for this is that the Tri-Phase connection put extra-ordinary current demands on the amp. Today most MOSFETs come with plastic packaging and I dont trust the heat transfer charactieristics of these deivces. The old Metal Case MOSFETs are rare (although some informed soruces tell me there is a revival).

Deepak, I did not recommend JBL or Blaupunkt or state that these are the best. I said that these are 2 brands that came first to my mind. There are many more brands out there. That said, many of my friends are quite happy with these speakers in the given budget.
Old 15th March 2007, 13:07   #5514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) which is the best set up under 40k...3)I dont want to sacrifice my boot space...4)No compromise in music quality...So is there any options to install the system on the doors or something(No compromise in quality)
3)If there is no way then tell me next best solution
Bass requires the movement of air. And that usually requires large speakers (we techies call them drivers) in large boxes. So it really boils down to how much bass do you need (The Scorpio like the Bolero and Pajero require more power and bigger Subwoofers to produce the same levels of bass as one would for a hatchback or a midsized sedan).

That said you could try to use atail gate sub to save space.

HU: 8-9K
Amp: 7-10K
Speakers: Front components and rear coax: 9-10K
Sub: tailgate sub - 6-8K
Damping: 6-7K
Wires and install: 4-5K

Hydra has already enumerated some good brands I'd listen to a few and then deicde. Some things to avoid: Sony Xplod speakers, Boss wiring, unknown brands like Glider etc.., and fakes (there are fake speakers, amplifiers, HUs and even wiring kits on the market).
Old 15th March 2007, 13:17   #5515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Since my HU has only 2 pairs of preamp outs (no sub out) do I need Y-connectors if I buy a 5-channel amp and use it to drive front speakers, rear speakers and a sub? Are there any disadvantages?
Nowadays many HUs have inbuilt XOs and most amps have them too. Component speakers (sometimes coaxials too) come with their own XOs. Can too many XOs (like too many cooks) actually spoil the musical broth?
The alpine 5 ch. amp can drive a sub and 4 speakers using just 2 pairs of iinputs there is no need for a sub input for this amp.

Many amps can do this. They have internal crossovers that direct bass to the subwoofers and the rest to the other speakers.

Crossovers that come with speakers are usually passive XOs meant to be used with the particular speakers they came with. These crossovers divide musical energy into 2 or more sections each feeding a seperate speaker (woofer, midrange, tweeter etc..). If you use component speakers it is a MUST to use the crossover supplied with it unless you have the skills to make a better XO yourself.

As far as XOs that are built into HUs and Amps are concerned it is your choice which of these to use. I prefer to use the XO that come with my amp as these do not change when my car is serivced and the battery terminals removed (erasing all the HU settings). Other prefer to use the XO in the HU as it allows one to change the settings while in the car. You can even use both.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:50   #5516
BHPian

hi,

can any of the gurus explain how to set gains using the multimeter? i googled but im still a little confused. gunbir bhai???

thanks,

rishabh
Old 15th March 2007, 16:33   #5517
Senior - BHPian

Respected Gurus and Fellow Bhpains .
  • Can you please point out the pros and cons of setting up twin subs in a box ?
  • Also suggest me an Amp and way to power 2 300RMS subs in the cheapest and most effective way. What I want is Quality punch am not much of a Boom guy.
My current set up is an Alpine Head unit (CDE 9845 EM , with 2 preouts)+ Alpine S type Coaxials in the rear and Alpine tweeter up front.

Last edited by maxbhp : 15th March 2007 at 16:40.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:35   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,
can anyone explain how to set gains using a multimeter? or is there any other way to set the gains properly?
There was a good old thread on this by Kureti. Here you go: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...your-amps.html
Old 15th March 2007, 16:56   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
  • Can you please suggest me the pros and cons of setting up twin subs in a box ?
  • Also suggest me an Amp and way to power 2 300RMS subs in the cheapest and most effective way. What I want is Quality punch am not much of a Boom guy.
My current set up is an Alpine Head unit (CDE 9845 EM , with 2 preouts)+ Alpine S type Coaxials in the rear and Alpine tweeter up front.
Et tu Max! Dual subs? Mmmmmmmm!

The best way IMHO to go about this is to make 2 identical boxes, rather than one partitioned box. This will cost more, but will be better as you'll need a real expert box-builder to properly build a single box with air-tight, properly sealed-off partitions. Such a box-builder is a rare commodity here.

You'll have more flexibility with the boot space also, if you go for two separate boxes.

Go for a sealed setup, since quality bass is what you're after. It will make the box-job easier, but will need a more powerful (read costlier) amp. You can use a 4-ch amp with 2-chs each bridged to power each sub, or get a monobloc (better, but costlier) and drive the subs from it. An added advantage of the monoblock is that you will surely be able to use it at a 2ohm load to drive the subs (They're DVC, right?), and give them more power.

You will also need a set of front speakers -- ideally components -- for best overall sound. Your Siena will take 6.5" in front with a bit of tapping around the lips (to push them in a bit) of the speaker openings (or the same effect can be achieved with a thin spacer - the Palio does not take a thick spacer, so I guess the Siena must be the same).

And about the amp, what's the budget? You'll need to spend about 15-18K for a monoblock good enough to drive the two subs, esp. if it is a sealed setup. And where do you plan to get it installed? You'll also need a set of RCAs (1K) and a good power wiring kit (3-4K) -- I think you'll need at least 4G power wires, as we have 2 subs here (and most likely a monoblock).

LBM should be along soon to give more (= better) tips on a dual sub setup.

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th March 2007 at 17:00.
Old 15th March 2007, 17:33   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Respected Gurus and Fellow Bhpains .
  • Can you please point out the pros and cons of setting up twin subs in a box ?
By the way sub is a Dual coil 4 Ohm/coil. Amnot planning to invest a lot right now. I can do it step by step so please keep that as a criteria.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks