Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 16:46   #5656
BHPian

Addendum

Just checked the Monster cabling packing and I noticed that it does not come with RCA cable.

There is one item, I can't seem to account for:

"Two 24K gold contact 4 gauge ring terminals 3/8" - Forgive the noob question, but what are these?

Also, can I just get a pair of audio interconnects from some place?

Last edited by johy : 4th April 2007 at 16:51.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:31   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
"Two 24K gold contact 4 gauge ring terminals 3/8" - what are these?
That would be for your amplifiers power cable which runs from the battery.

Quote:
Also, can I just get a pair of audio interconnects from some place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
1X MX RCA-RCA cable (5m) (the new variety)
1X MX St. EP-RCA (5m) also the new variety
I am very pleased with the new MX RCA cable. I did a one on one with my VDH hybrid and they were not too far off in my first listening.At Rs. 300+ I think they are stunning.

Last edited by s0uljah : 4th April 2007 at 18:43.
Old 4th April 2007, 19:08   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
That would be for your amplifiers power cable which runs from the battery.
Thanks Sir, this was also there. Now the dealer is confused how much he should charge me. What would be a fair price?
Old 4th April 2007, 22:23   #5659
Senior - BHPian

johy, that amp wiring kit is genuine, but it is a bit too much for your amp. You can wire 3 of those Blaus with this kit. I am sure the amp does not even have a power terminal large enough to accept the 4 ga cable.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:21   #5660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the dealer is confused how much he should charge me. What would be a fair price?
Do you really have that kind of money to spend?

Honestly ditch the kit I think your better off going with VFM option than spending so much.

Instead get some good industrial grade wiring such as Finolex/Polycab(check the wires thread, Sam/LBM have given some good options). Procure the terminals for secure connections and the MX RCA's.

Alternatively with the money you save you can get yourself some better RCA's (scosche/stinger/audison etc) since this is what will ultimately make a difference to your sound.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:24   #5661
BHPian

Hi mates,
Which are the HU models with USB slot for Ipod or portable mp3 player? What would be the price range like? I dont need anything too expensive. Please advice!

Thanks
Old 5th April 2007, 00:07   #5662
Senior - BHPian

pioneer 6950 is one of them i think its priced around 9000 grey.
Old 5th April 2007, 07:20   #5663
BHPian

Fine tuning my bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
johy, that amp wiring kit is genuine, but it is a bit too much for your amp. You can wire 3 of those Blaus with this kit. I am sure the amp does not even have a power terminal large enough to accept the 4 ga cable.
Hi B&T - this was one kit and the alternatives were fake JBL and fake Twister and another kit for Rs 500/-. I had to take either this or one of them. I chose the former because

a) I knew it was an genuine product
b) The vendor told me he would give me a good discount (he had not sold it for 2 years and probably would not sell it for another 2 years).
c) Now that I know it is really a monster (pun intended), if ever I do a sound upgrade, I know I will be as safe as can be. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Do you really have that kind of money to spend?
No, I don't, but I will be paying in the tune of 1500 or so.

Quote:
Alternatively with the money you save you can get yourself some better RCA's (scosche/stinger/audison etc) since this is what will ultimately make a difference to your sound.
It will be a long wait, but I will ultimately get them RCAs.

Now for the fine tuning of the bass.

I am pretty satisfied, but I feel the bass is a tad boomy and I would like to have it more tight. With my earlier setup, I had two of my ovals (GTO 937) in two small boxes of approx sizes 8"x 8" x 7" (something like this - this is from a friend's WagonR)

Now the ovals are in the same big box (in their own partition), but they are much larger spaces like 13" x 13" x 13" or whereabouts.

Now the install is like this:

Also, the GT4-12 manual does specify a 1 cu ft sealed box (including driver displacement). The volume of the present box is approx 1.20 cu feet (external dimensions), so is the extra boom coming due to the:

1) Approx 0.20 cu feet larger size of the sealed enclosure?
2) Because the GTO 937s are in larger boxes (I have played around with HPF so that sounds below 50Hz/80hz/125 hz don't go to the speakers - but the results are not too different).

I have an option now:

Custom make a sealed enclosure for the Sub (GT4-12) and use my older smaller boxes for the ovals. This way I can regain some of the real estate - I have practically lost my boot .

What should be the ideal size of the sealed box 1 cu.ft (inside size) as mentioned in the manual? Or 1.20 cu. feet (as suggested by Navin) to accommodate the driver, etc.

What I want to know is if this will make the bass a bit tighter? Also, I can reclaim some boot space for the atta-chawal.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:39   #5664
Team-BHP Support

Johy,

do this... use only the front speakers and the sub and see if the boom exists. Even if it does I am sure it is not becuase the box is 0.2 cu. ft bigger. Sealed boxes are quite tolerant. It could be due to some undamped resonances from the panels.

Also do you have the LPF for the sub on. Set it to about 80Hz.

Once we have th sub figured out we'll add (reconnect) the 6x9s.
Old 5th April 2007, 19:28   #5665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Johy,

do this... use only the front speakers and the sub and see if the boom exists. Even if it does I am sure it is not becuase the box is 0.2 cu. ft bigger. Sealed boxes are quite tolerant. It could be due to some undamped resonances from the panels.

Also do you have the LPF for the sub on. Set it to about 80Hz.

Once we have th sub figured out we'll add (reconnect) the 6x9s.
Navin Sir,

I tried playing with the sub settings today and here are my observations:

1. I can turn the sub off/on from the HU and I noticed that there is a lot of reverberation coming when the sub is on, so it is definitely the sub responsible for the extra boom/reverb (that I want make crisper).

2. I disconnected the rear speakers and turned on the system, and the reverb is still there.

3. I have set loudness to OFF. When I turn it to ON (even if is is set to LOW - from among low/mid/high), the reverberation increases.

4. I have set cut-off frequency for the sub to 50 (so that only frequencies lower than 50 Hz is played through the sub), it is most tolerable in this settings. I can play some tracks at 80, but they are the not-so-bassy ones.

5. When I turn HPF ON (so that all low frequencies are NOT handled by the speakers and is handled solely by the sub), the reverb increases.

6. When the loudness is turned ON and to HIGH, I can clearly hear the panel sounds coming into play.

I want to make the bass crisper. Right now, one bass note is overlapping with the others and in a lot of tracks, it is becoming a little harsh. What steps can I take to fine tune the bass now?

Old 5th April 2007, 20:35   #5666
BHPian

Quote:
5. When I turn HPF ON (so that all low frequencies are NOT handled by the speakers and is handled solely by the sub), the reverb increases.
This is quite surprising. How can HPF on one channel affect the sub levels? Or is it that the boom from the main speakers reduces making the original sub reverberations clearer? Or is the partitioning of the box causing some issues? Dont answer these, just giving some thought pointers to Navinji.
Old 5th April 2007, 23:49   #5667
BHPian

Would the gurus like to comment on the ICE-worthiness or otherwise of the just-launched Logan?
Like:
Where are the speaker enclosures
What size speakers would fit
How much space is there between the inner and outer door panels
How thin/ thick are the panels
Will it need a lot of damping
Not surprisingly, there's no info on this topic on the M & M website.
Old 5th April 2007, 23:54   #5668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
the ICE-worthiness or otherwise of the just-launched Logan?
as you've mentioned it's "just-launched". give our gurus some time to get their hands dirty fiddling around with the car!
Old 6th April 2007, 15:05   #5669
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I spent a good 90 minutes trying to come up with an answer to my queries - and I guess its the limitations of keyword search functionality rather than the availability of the answer in this huge thread that force me to post (probably repeat) these queries:

* as part of my OHCtypII 1.3Exi restore, wanna upgrade the audio. One front speaker went missing sometime ago .... that hastened the need too. Probably need to change it all, HU, front, rear, wirres.
* Like soft rock, gulzar-like filmy stuff, simon/garfunkel, jeff beck/satriani, floyd, dire straits, def leppard, scorpions, collective soul .... you get the picture I guess
* A lot of the listening in the city is FM
* Want to spend less than 15k overall
* the OEM HU (Alpine something, I think) is cassette only, want a cd player/changer
* What do i do with the current audio pieces
* understood very little of "components", "tube" etc, but I think an amp might help. This from whatever I read here.
* From one of Sam's posts, probably not a JBL. How expensive is Infinity ?
Old 6th April 2007, 15:31   #5670
Senior - BHPian

@zenx, 15K is a bit tight for an overall redux.

HU: Pio4850 (about 5K) [CD/MP3/WMA player]
Fronts: 6.5" 2-way comps from JBL (CS series or GTO series) or Hertz (Dieci Series) or Blaupunkt (TS series) or Alpine. About 5K to 6.5K.
Rear: 6x9" 3-way coaxials from JBL (CS series or GTO series) or Hertz (Dieci Series) or Blaupunkt (TS series) or Alpine. About 4K to 6.5K.

The total will fit in at around 15K, depending on what speakers you choose.

You will not be able to fit an amp into a 15K budget if you want to get a HU & front & rear speakers. You can always add a 4-ch amp later. The wires will come with the speakers and they will be ok till you add an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
* From one of Sam's posts, probably not a JBL. How expensive is Infinity ?
You probably read something Sam said out of context. From the kind of music you mentioned, I think JBLs will quite suit you. Infinitys start from 8K+

The current audio stuff is best given away. Maybe you will get a (small) discount if you turn-in your Alpine HU to the dealer you're buying the stuff from. A friend gave his 4-year old Alpine cassette player HU (OEM fitment in NHC) to a dealer yesterday and got Rs.500/- for it.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th April 2007 at 15:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks