Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2007, 09:57   #5716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
as soon as the install was over it is shwoing the problems of Alternator whine and amp clipping. ...It seems the gain is set to hardly 15%. The RCA's are the new MX ones...they cut off half the strands as it was too fat.. this is dangerous right
1. I did not know MX made Auto grade wire. Auto wire needs better insulation becuas ehte environment is more noisy (electrical noise). Change cables and check.

2. If yo connect the speakers in series you willl find the amp has a easier load. It wont be as loud but atleast it will be clean. You'll need to crank the gain up as well.

3. shaving off a few strands is NOT dangerous.

4. LBM is right, that amp is really a sub amp.
Old 14th April 2007, 10:36   #5717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the amps is giving 370 x 2 at 2 ohms....if it giving such power you are bound to blow your speakers if played at high volumes....
Thats the the when he called me I told him its probably not the amp clipping but the speakers will blow first. Anyway today I will meet and witness what is going on then try to troubleshoot one by one based on what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. I did not know MX made Auto grade wire. Auto wire needs better insulation becuas ehte environment is more noisy (electrical noise). Change cables and check.
Originally I had planned for stinger/monster but it wasnt in his budget. The MX is supposed to be double shielded cables anyway will ask the guys in the shop to replace

Quote:
2. If yo connect the speakers in series you willl find the amp has a easier load. It wont be as loud but atleast it will be clean. You'll need to crank the gain up as well.
This is what I had suggested in the first place but they have gone and done somethign crazy, not quite sure what!

Will post back what happened. Thanks
Old 14th April 2007, 15:39   #5718

been reading the thread for a while now, and have decided on the head unit, the Pio 7950. also looking for a good pair of 6x9 for the rear, i currently have some sony xplod ones but problem is that one of the tweeter cone is ripped, and am not sure getting it repaired will give me the same quality, if it does then well and good.

this is to be installed in a Zen, the older one, will be adding a amp and a sub next month, amp i can get from US as my cousin will be coming next month, so suggest something for about or less than 6K INR and will get a wiring kit as well.
speaking of which is it advisable to get the HU as well from US coz the 7950 wud cost about 12-13k ~ 250$, I read in a similar thread that its not advisable since the FM frequencies are different, is there any way to bypass this? coz i would rather get it something better from US for the same amount if possible than buy it locally..

One more thing i need to ask is where i can check the phone compatibility list for the 7950 via bluetooth, currently own a P800 and wanted to check if both are compatible.

TIA
Old 14th April 2007, 23:00   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
for whine try any other RCA....just temp to check that it is not faulty......and the HU ground connection....as it can also be the culprit.....
So the guy came by with the car and the whine disappeared after grounding the HU with some copper wire like in the pic...

Re sound/clipping it was just a bad tuning on the part of the shop guys. Got rid off the +6 Low/Mid/High on the HU as well as Loud

We spent some time fiddling with the HU at high volume while moderating the amp gain till it sounded just right to his tastes. Ran the HPF on the HU at 50 as it suited him.

Iv suggested a 75.4 to him at the time he adds a sub so that the system is more efficient.

Last edited by s0uljah : 14th April 2007 at 23:03.
Old 16th April 2007, 11:34   #5720

Help on audio system for Wagonr

Hi,

Just wondering whether U could guide me in selecting an audio system for my Wagon r Vxi with ABS and Air bags (I heard it needs extra precautions in playing with electric connections and install).

Budget is < 20,000 and I am more interested in good rather than loud music. Also would like a USB connection to listen to my collection of MP3s and audio lectures. I am seriouly considering Blaupunkt for HU, Speakers. I am in Lucknow so may not have many choices I guess.
Please advise. Thanks.
Old 16th April 2007, 13:13   #5721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof View Post
Just wondering whether U could guide me in selecting an audio system...Budget is < 20,000...
There is a sticky on this subject that might help.

Do you intend to use a sub (and sacrifice boot space)? Do you need the bass.
Do you intend to use the stock locations for the speakers? I understand that the Wagon R front stock locations are in the dash.

edit...

I thought about this a bit and figured that if you can get door speakers then a HU (8-9K), 5-6" coax door speakers (4K) and a pair of 6x9s (5K) on a MDF rear deck (1K) can suffice.

Last edited by navin : 16th April 2007 at 13:15.
Old 16th April 2007, 21:48   #5722
Senior - BHPian

I think the deh-p5950 is a great option for the tight budgets as it comes with necessary functions and 3 outs. Grey prices are quoting approx 7k
Old 17th April 2007, 05:21   #5723
BANNED

A HU dealer told me that Pioneer 3950(cost :Rs.4900) which is having a sub output will produce more quality sound without the need of any subwoofers/amplifiers using the coaxial speakers than the entry level Pio MP3 Player(cost :Rs.4700).

He told me that one of the reasons for the better output is the presence of the sub out !!!

Is that a stupid statement OR Is there any truth in that since he told me that there is an internal difference among the HU's ?

PS : I didn't argue with that guy because I was in a hurry.....
Old 17th April 2007, 13:20   #5724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
A HU dealer told me that Pioneer 3950(cost :Rs.4900) which is having a sub output will produce more quality sound without the need of any subwoofers/amplifiers using the coaxial speakers... Is there any truth in that since he told me that there is an internal difference among the HU's ?
I think you didnt read the second part of the title of this thread

Anyways, a low end HU hardly makes 12-15w RMS. And the "direct sub drive" option does make some sound. But more quality sound? Depends on what's quality For a purist, when a bridged channel amp of same wattage cannot make "great" sound compared to a mono, how can a puny HU surpass that? It is just a marketing gimmick.
Old 17th April 2007, 13:27   #5725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
I think you didnt read the second part of the title of this thread

Anyways, a low end HU hardly makes 12-15w RMS. And the "direct sub drive" option does make some sound. But more quality sound? Depends on what's quality For a purist, when a bridged channel amp of same wattage cannot make "great" sound compared to a mono, how can a puny HU surpass that? It is just a marketing gimmick.
I dont think his question is exactly as you have interpreted it.

The guy selling him the player is saying that the unit with the sub pre-out will sound better than the unit without the pre-out, without asking him to use it. In any case, a pre-out is not the direct sub drive section.

It could be true, but not because of the presence of the pre-out. The unit with the sub out could have additional features like some additional EQs, HPF etc which could help configuring the system as opposed to the base model. But with respect to the transport, output section etc, I doubt there would be any difference. Anyway, since the difference is so little, go for the higher model. Always handy for an upgrade.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:03   #5726

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There is a sticky on this subject that might help.

Do you intend to use a sub (and sacrifice boot space)? Do you need the bass.
Do you intend to use the stock locations for the speakers? I understand that the Wagon R front stock locations are in the dash.

edit...

I thought about this a bit and figured that if you can get door speakers then a HU (8-9K), 5-6" coax door speakers (4K) and a pair of 6x9s (5K) on a MDF rear deck (1K) can suffice.
Thanks buddy for the answer. Clarifications: 1) I couldn't locate the sticky you mentioned. 2) I don't need heavy bass (and hence no sub, I guess..?) 3) I want some product officially available in India. 4) Can I fit these speakers in the front doors? Is it better than in the provided space in Dash of Wagon R? 5) "MDF rear deck?" Are these speaker boxes? Occupying space in the back? U see, I am quite a novice (in this area!) and hence these queries. Thanks again.

regards

Prof
Old 17th April 2007, 15:02   #5727
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be the most economic ( pls read without compromising on quality) amp to drive the following:

JBL 1204BR ( 1200 Watts) Subwoofer in an enclosure & JBL 12" bass tube?

I am confused between the above two subs which one to go for? As i like a the bass to sound nice and crisp as well as it should be atleast a little boomy

Can the same amp power both subs?

I am thinking of the following amps that can do the duty for both subs.

Pio 6100/6200
JBL 60.2 ( Is it available?)
Blaupaunkt ( Which 2-channel model would be good?)
Old 17th April 2007, 15:18   #5728
Senior - BHPian

@mobike008, between the two subs, the 1204BR might sound better to you. It is a ported sub, so it will be between a sealed enclosure and the Tube as far as boominess is concerned. On a line with a sealed box on one end and a bass tube on the other, the 1204BR will be a bit nearer to the sealed in terms of definition and boominess. You might find the Tube a lot boomier than the 1204BR.

All that said, you should listen to both before you make a decision. Since both can be just plugged-in easily for testing once an amp is in place, it would be quite easy to audition both inside your car itself.

The same amp should be ok for either (as both are essentially ported designs). The tube will respond slightly better to the same amp than the 1204BR, I think.

Going for a Pio 6200/6100 is likely to be more VFM as it is a 4-ch amp, and it will cost just 2K to 3K more than the JBL or Blau 2-ch amps.

I think the JBL CS60.2 is available, but I'm not positive. I remember seeing it on rediff.com sometime back.

The Blau GTA275 should be fine for either sub.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:47   #5729
Distinguished - BHPian

Hydrashok, tks for your prompt response. I agree with you that the same amp would do slightly better duty on tube than on the ported sub.

So i will check with GTA275 for both subs and then decide the sub and amp.

My installer is propogating against pioneer, saying Sir, pio is not what it used to before when i asked him for PIO6100

Since i already have a 4 channel amp driving my rear and front comps, i guess it makes sense to go for a 2 channel or do you suggest i go for the 4 channel pio6100?

Finally, some pricing tips would really help
Old 17th April 2007, 15:58   #5730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My installer is propogating against pioneer, saying Sir, pio is not what it used to before when i asked him for PIO6100

Since i already have a 4 channel amp driving my rear and front comps, i guess it makes sense to go for a 2 channel or do you suggest i go for the 4 channel pio6100?

Finally, some pricing tips would really help
You already have a 4-ch amp? Then a 2-ch amp or a mono amp is what you should get now. Don't get a 4-ch amp.

The Blau GTA275 (2-ch) is about 6K.
The JBL CS60.2 is about 6K.
The JBL GTO301.1 (mono amp) is about 12K
The Pio D510 (mono amp) is about 10K
The Sony 552 (2-ch amp) is about 4K (since it is for a sub, and if you're on a real tight budget, you can think of it -- but if you can extend the budget, don't get it).

Else, if you can get a good price for your current 4-channel, sell it/exchange it and get a JBL 75.4 (4-ch amp, 13K). But if you don't get a good price, don't bother with this.

The Pio 6200/6100 sound quite decent for the money spent. Wayyyyyyy better than the Sonys (which are of course priced lower).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks