Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 11:14   #5566
BHPian

I agree with you Navin .... ears are like taste buds....it differs from person to person on his/her taste for sound....
Old 21st March 2007, 11:23   #5567
BHPian

Hydo ... u do explain really well....but i would suggest 6850HU & JBL base tube for the Scorpio....its woth for money been spent...have a thought.
Old 21st March 2007, 18:29   #5568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
ears are like taste buds....
As long as it doesn't taste like ear buds.
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:00   #5569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
As long as it doesn't taste like ear buds.
edit....I think Sam means USED ear buds! ;-)
Old 23rd March 2007, 00:10   #5570
BHPian

Just started wondering why JBL's component speakers are 2 Ohm impedance rather than the more usual 4 Ohms. Are there disadvantages and advantages to the buyer/ manufacturer?
Read on this forum that amps get more stressed driving 2 Ohm loads than 4 Ohms. Do head units also get similarly stressed?
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd March 2007, 02:32   #5571
Senior - BHPian

less resistance teh more power teh amp can feed and hence...

its like a freeflow with speakers

jbl's new 7series are 2ohms while teh old were 4ohms
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:23   #5572
Team-BHP Support

Yup less resistance more current will go to the speakers provided the amps can provide that extra current. If it cant it will be stressed out.

Also the 2ohms in the JBL 7 series is actualy around 3.2 something ohms so its not a problem for the HU or any amp to drive it.
Old 23rd March 2007, 10:04   #5573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Also the 2ohms in the JBL 7 series is actualy around 3.2 something ohms so its not a problem for the HU or any amp to drive it.
Yeah that 2 ohms label is a little bit of a misnomer.
Old 26th March 2007, 10:40   #5574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yeah that 2 ohms label is a little bit of a misnomer.
Yup, a speaker with a Rdc of 3.2 ohms should be advertised as 4 ohms nominal impedance. There are many speakers which have a Rdc lower than 3 ohms and are 4 ohms nominal impedance.
Old 26th March 2007, 10:42   #5575

Hi,
I am back. Yes with more questions. Now I went to a dealer named Autoshop in Bangalore (By the way he knows Sam very well, he was mantoning that he was here for Iron Maidein show). He has given me the following config:
HU:
BlauPaunkt Bhamas 46 - 10500
Blau Maui 36 - 8500
Poineer 5950 - 9700
Front speakers:
Components
JBL GTO 607 - 5800
JBL CS 2156 - 4600
Coaxial
JBL CS2165 - 2700
Rear Speakers
JBL CS3196 - 3400
JBL GTO 937
Plank: 850
Every thing with bill.
Now The questions:
1) I am keen for the fiting the rear speakers in the rear door of my Swift. But what the dealer is saying that this is not the right option. there will be no bass. the systems performance will be reduced. He is suggesting me the oval rear speakers. he says as they are oval they will produce more bass. Secondly he said that go for door fitting if you are going for sub woofer. but I do not want a sub woofer. Is this true. if yes, as i do not want a sub which fitting will be better. I ahve read previous posts, but they are unclear about the performance and bass implecation due to the palce of fittment.
2) About the front speakers he is saying that thate is no difference between GTO 607 and CS2165 in terms of performance. the only difference is that in GTO 607 we have a crossover, which is not there in CS 2165. but the cross over doesnt matters. It only have implecations if you are going for a sub woofer. so if crossover doesnt matters should I go for CS2165 as it is cheap and there is no performance difference.
3) Secondly he is saying that if I go for coaxial in the front there wont be much difference between the performance as compared to the components.
This new inputs has put me in delima again. please suggest.
Thanks in Advance
Adi
Old 26th March 2007, 11:22   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_nanda View Post
1) I am keen for the fiting the rear speakers in the rear door of my Swift. But what the dealer is saying that this is not the right option. there will be no bass. the systems performance will be reduced. He is suggesting me the oval rear speakers. he says as they are oval they will produce more bass. Secondly he said that go for door fitting if you are going for sub woofer. but I do not want a sub woofer. Is this true. if yes, as i do not want a sub which fitting will be better. I ahve read previous posts, but they are unclear about the performance and bass implecation due to the palce of fittment.
2) About the front speakers he is saying that thate is no difference between GTO 607 and CS2165 in terms of performance. the only difference is that in GTO 607 we have a crossover, which is not there in CS 2165. but the cross over doesnt matters. It only have implecations if you are going for a sub woofer. so if crossover doesnt matters should I go for CS2165 as it is cheap and there is no performance difference.
3) Secondly he is saying that if I go for coaxial in the front there wont be much difference between the performance as compared to the components.
1) right
2) wrong
3) wrong

if you are not planning for a sub go with oval they give nice sound...but not comparable to sub....

get the componets they are much better built than the CS series...it is not that co-ax are a bad option but the models you are comparing I would go for 607.....

the componets in th front does make a differnce....
Old 26th March 2007, 11:28   #5577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BlauPaunkt Bhamas 46 - 10500
Front speakers:
JBL GTO 607 - 5800
JBL CS 2156 - 4600
Coaxial
JBL CS2165 - 2700
Rear Speakers
JBL CS3196 - 3400

1) I am keen for the fiting the rear speakers in the rear door of my Swift.
2) About the front speakers he is saying that thate is no difference between GTO 607 and CS2165 in terms of performance. the only difference is that in GTO 607 we have a crossover
1. it is true that 6x9 on a rear parcel shelf (MDF) would produce more bass than a pair of 6" in the rear door. but you loose the stock look.

2. The 2165 too has a crossover, maybe not one as sophisticated as the 607 but it does have a crossover otherwise how does the tweeter get only the high frequensices. The crossover of either of these has NOTHING to do with a subwoofer. A subwoofer will need it own (usually active) crossoover.

3. There is a signigicant difference in the stereo image provided by a component as compared to a coaxial speaker (where the tweeter is firing at your knees). If you are intending to use a component the choices for teh tweeter location are as follows:

a) A pillar - flush mount - requires cutting and you sell the tweeter with the car when you sell the car.
b) Door panel - flush mount - same as above
c) Dash - surface mount - you can remove the tweeters when you sell your car but in this location I have seen tweeters getting knocked off by over zealous car cleaners.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:34   #5578
Senior - BHPian

@adi, the prices look ok, and most of what the dealer has told you makes sense.

- Oval speakers do give more bass than the 6.5" coaxials

- If you are going for a sub, the door install is better (because you don't need ovals if you have a sub)

- The 607c and 2165c are about the same except for the fact that the 607c has a proper crossover, and the 2165c has an in-line filter. The corssover does have an advantage over the inline filter, but if you're not thaaaaat particular of the marginal improvement in sound vis-a-vis the saving of 1200/-, go for the cs2165c.

BUT I don't agree with the following things he said:

Quote:
... but the cross over doesnt matters. It only have implecations if you are going for a sub woofer. so if crossover doesnt matters should I go for CS2165 as it is cheap and there is no performance difference.
- Regardless of whether you go for a sub or not, having a component speaker with a proper crossover is a good thing.

- A component sounds a lot better than a co-axial. A component (if installed properly in the front) also gives you a much better front sound-stage than a co-axial.
Old 27th March 2007, 13:11   #5579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Components
JBL GTO 607 - 5800
JBL CS 2156 - 4600
Coaxial
JBL CS2165 - 2700
Adi
Hi Adi,

Let me try and help. Components in the front will sound a whole lot better than coaxials.

I think i can shed some body hair on the confusion here. Autoshop has offered you a choice between the CS2165C and GTO607C (Both are 6" component sets)
The CS2165C is a cost conscious component set, using engineering from the GTO 6 series (from last year). In a further effort to cut down cost, the crossover unit has been replaced by inline crossovers (both on the midrange body and in the wire leading to the tweeter). Hence in the CS2165C component, there is no crossover "unit" as such.
The GTO607C is newer, with improvements and no cost cutting.
Therefore, both with sound much better than any coaxial, but the GTO607C will sound superior. However, if on a tight budget, the CS2165C is an excellent component set.

Hope that clears up your confusion
Old 27th March 2007, 13:32   #5580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi Adi,

Let me try and help. Components in the front will sound a whole lot better than coaxials.

I think i can shed some body hair on the confusion here. Autoshop has offered you a choice between the CS2165C and GTO607C (Both are 6" component sets)
The CS2165C is a cost conscious component set, using engineering from the GTO 6 series (from last year). In a further effort to cut down cost, the crossover unit has been replaced by inline crossovers (both on the midrange body and in the wire leading to the tweeter). Hence in the CS2165C component, there is no crossover "unit" as such.
The GTO607C is newer, with improvements and no cost cutting.
Therefore, both with sound much better than any coaxial, but the GTO607C will sound superior. However, if on a tight budget, the CS2165C is an excellent component set.

Hope that clears up your confusion
Sam Bhai where are you now days....busy in makin the new JBL eyeballer....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks