Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 18:15   #5776
BHPian

another ice quarry

Hey Guys don't know if this is the right place to post my question, if not please do the needful.

I have the following setup in my Baleno and need some help with the Sub and the Amp, I wanted to know if the sub and the Amp is a good match, the sub is in a ported box (Make-Bass works).

My second quarry is about the Head unit which I plan to change in to an Alpine or Blaupunkt and want some suggestion on the model I can upgrade to.

Player
Pioneer - DEH-P6850MP

Front Speakers
Polk DB-Series 6-1/2” – DB6500

Rear Speakers
Blaupunkt – 6”x 9” THX 693

Front and Rear Speaker Amp.
Sony 4 Channel - XM-554ZR

Subwoofer
Polk Momo 12”-MM2124

Subwoofer Amp
JBL Mono - GTO301.1 II

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 27th April 2007, 19:33   #5777
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Hellcat,

Let us dig deep into your quarry.

Though your systems a rather ecelectic mix, it is pretty good. I find that the weakest link is the Sony 4 channel amplifier. Especially considering you have a powerful monoblock for the woofer. If you were looking at an upgrade, I'd recommend you change that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
My second quarry is about the Head unit which I plan to change in to an Alpine or Blaupunkt and want some suggestion on the model I can upgrade to.
No need for this. I see abosolutely nothing wrong with your Pioneer 6850.
Old 27th April 2007, 20:00   #5778
BHPian

Hey! Sam thanks for the advice....what 4 ch Amp would you recommend.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:28   #5779
Senior - BHPian

My itchy hands for an ICE upgrade got me here .
Was a little scared to jump in here and read coz I believe " Spending for ICE or your car is a bottomless pit"

I had PM'ed SAM and our own mallu boy Zakko for advice and trust me even my boss doesnt reply this prompt at times. Thanks guys.

Wanted to get rid of the Sony crape from my car and get some good sounding stuff. Well these days even my lady calls sony crape.

Sam my purpose of posting here is for pricing and some-one from whom I can source the amp in Bangalore.Am a complete noob in this, adjust maadi

My options are

1 - JBL GTO75.4
2 - CS 60.4
3 - Pioneer 6200 ( Was quoted 7800/- without B&W)

Budget like I had mentioned is 10k but I think the GTO 75.4 is higher than that.
Any thghts on the pricing??

thanks in advance
Old 28th April 2007, 11:20   #5780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Then why don't these head units limit their volume controls to the appropriate power they can deliver?
and how do you assume the HU guy will know what speaker it is driving. HUs will distort at different levels with different speakers and the speakers ability to handle distortion can be quite different (for example those dual cone speakers that I have seen many OEM supply are quite hardy).
Old 30th April 2007, 22:15   #5781
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer TS-6960E

Hey guys,
I'm going to do some major upgrading to my Lancer's ICE setup.
After browsing through the ICE section on T-bhp, I've narrowed my choice down to the following:
- HU that is Ipod & USB compatible
- Front components (6.5")
- Rear coaxials (3-way, 6" x 9")
- 4-channel amplifier
- Bass tube OR Subwoofer in box
- Wiring & damping as reqd

Now the matter in question:
I have these 3-year old Pioneer TS-6960E 6X9 3-way speakers lying around at home from my old car. It was used for a year and then its been taking up vital cupboard space!
If these are playing fine, should I recycle them in the new setup? I don't want to spoil the overall ICE system because of substandard rear speakers. Are these speakers recommended (240W max, 40W nominal)? I know they don't compare to the JBL GTO937 which I was looking at, but.... this will save me some dough. Or should I try and sell these and get the JBLs? I read somewhere that the Pio's provide good rear fill and can be powered from the HU (good front comps & a sub should take care of the overall effect).
Will there be THAT much of a difference in the two? I'm not a perfectionist or a hardcore connoisseur... but I do like my music, which is why I'm trying to set up something of good quality.
Any suggestions?
Thx!
Old 30th April 2007, 23:28   #5782
Senior - BHPian

@razor, you've certainly got your requirements down pat

Why don't you try the old Pios in your new setup and see it they are ok for you? Esp. since you'll be powering them from the HU, you may find them quite satisfactory as rear fill.

If they sound good to you, keep them, no matter what anybody else says. If you don't like them, then just swap them out for something else that catches you uhh... ear. It'll be as easy as pie to just remove them and fix new speakers in.
Old 1st May 2007, 00:49   #5783
Senior - BHPian

sound advice hydra! will do exactly that. btw, very neat setup on your car... ICE & interiors have been set up really nicely!

front comps, rear coax, HU - decided.
amps, sub/BT - utterly confused. lol... there is way too much information in this section!

@sam - does JBL have a demo car/room in calcutta? i wanted to listen to some of the JBL/Infinty products before making a decision.
Old 1st May 2007, 01:08   #5784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Hey! Sam thanks for the advice....what 4 ch Amp would you recommend.
Hi hellcat, i hope i am privileged enough to respond to you, please do not think that the sony 554zr is crape, cos it is not. Some people want more, if you do , please get a better amp, but certainly not at this price. you will have to spend twice as much for a very small difference in sound (Trust your ears & not mine for this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Wanted to get rid of the Sony crape from my car and get some good sounding stuff. Well these days even my lady calls sony crape.

Sam my purpose of posting here is for pricing and some-one from whom I can source the amp in Bangalore.Am a complete noob in this, adjust maadi

My options are

1 - JBL GTO75.4
2 - CS 60.4
3 - Pioneer 6200 ( Was quoted 7800/- without B&W)

Budget like I had mentioned is 10k but I think the GTO 75.4 is higher than that.
Any thghts on the pricing??

thanks in advance

yeah, good choice rjstyles69, but please do not expect any dramatic improvement in sound for the price you pay. If you are into sound, yes, with the help of a few friends, you will be convinced that you made the right choice to crape your sony, believe me sony is not crap, it gives value for what you pay. I know I am taking the risk of getting my observation drowned by the myriad of other posts in contrast to mine.

P.S I am just a music fan.

cheers
Old 1st May 2007, 09:04   #5785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
front comps, rear coax, HU - decided.
amps, sub/BT - utterly confused. lol... there is way too much information in this section!
Thanks for the nice words

For a Lancer, you'll need a 12" sub anyway, for best results.

Box vs. Tube is an unending discussion and you will be able to decide between anyway only after listening to the kind of bass put-out by both.

A JBL GT4-12 12" sub in a sealed box + a JBL GTO75.4 4-ch amp (for the fronts & the sub) would be a good combo. 5K + 1.5K + 13K = 19.5K. You'll need wiring regardless of what amp and sub, so I won't figure that in now. Will this total agree with your budget?

You can also consider a Pio 6200 (about 8K) or a JBL CS60.4 (about 9K). But then you had better get a ported box for the sub, as these amps will not do justice to a sub in a sealed box.

If you are going for a Bass tube (JBL CS1204T; 6.5K), the Pio or the 60.4 will be quite enough.
Old 1st May 2007, 11:44   #5786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Box vs. Tube is an unending discussion and you will be able to decide between anyway only after listening to the kind of bass put-out by both.
I'm kinda leaning towards a sub in a sealed box, because I do have a bass tube fitted in my Santro, and it is more boom than clarity. I also listened to a JBL Bass tube (the bomb!) in a friend's car, and felt the same thing - less quality more quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
A JBL GT4-12 12" sub in a sealed box + a JBL GTO75.4 4-ch amp (for the fronts & the sub) would be a good combo. 5K + 1.5K + 13K = 19.5K. You'll need wiring regardless of what amp and sub, so I won't figure that in now. Will this total agree with your budget?

You can also consider a Pio 6200 (about 8K) or a JBL CS60.4 (about 9K). But then you had better get a ported box for the sub, as these amps will not do justice to a sub in a sealed box.
I think I'll go for a good amp - since I am spending a bomb on restoring this car anyway, might as well do it properly.
Are there any other options in the 10-13k range for amps? I have nothing against JBL... just that I've seen so many brands being discussed I was just curious.
And how much would damping the boot cost? Am guessing I will need that with the sub in the back.
Old 1st May 2007, 11:51   #5787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Are there any other options in the 10-13k range for amps? I have nothing against JBL... just that I've seen so many brands being discussed I was just curious.
And how much would damping the boot cost? Am guessing I will need that with the sub in the back.
Another option would be the Blaupunkt GTA475 (about 11k I think). Blau has another model in the TX series at about 14K. Alpine also has a 4-ch model at 14K+ I think (not too sure of price). I'd still suggest the 75.4 in the 10-14 range. It is very VFM.

Damping the boot should get done inside of 3K. I hope you don't have a spoiler or you're likely to need some damping there too. The number plate will also need to be re-fixed with some foam backing so it will not vibrate.
Old 1st May 2007, 12:20   #5788
Distinguished - BHPian

@Razor, why don't you think of a monoblock amp to drive the sub-woofer? This would also be a good option. You can decide between two very popular brands from JBL ( CS300.1 ( 10K) and GTO300.1 ( 13K)
Old 1st May 2007, 12:26   #5789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Razor, why don't you think of a monoblock amp to drive the sub-woofer? This would also be a good option. You can decide between two very popular brands from JBL ( CS300.1 ( 10K) and GTO300.1 ( 13K)
From what I read, the GTO75.4 is pretty good at driving the sub + the front comps. I will be driving the rear coax's through the HU, so I will have juice to spare from the amp.

Plus, 10-13k more takes this way over my budget Maybe in the future when I find myself a rich & generous uncle ..lol!

@hydra: how does one damp the spoiler? I did see it mentioned in some threads, but are there any pics/instructions somewhere?
Old 1st May 2007, 14:45   #5790
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

I have a Sony HU with JBL GT0937 multielement speakers in the rear only. The output of HU says 52*4. When I turn up the volume to say 21, there seems to be loss in bass output and the tweeters come into play. I am worried if playing music at a volume like 19, where the bass output is excellent will ruin the speakers.

Please suggest. Am not planning for an amp right away, but am worried if otherwise the speakers will be ruined.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks