Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 12:18   #5926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
So my assumption that 75.4 is only 15 W RMS more powerful than 60.4 is wrong.. But I must say that the naming convention is not consistent. Why did they name it 75.4
Naming convention need not be directly associated with the specification/feature of the product.

It can depend of many factors like logical next number or significance of the same in some manner or probably another good reason could be that it just took the fancy of the company authorities
Old 16th May 2007, 12:38   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think the 75.4 was rated (75 x 4) at 12V and the 60.4 (60. x 4) at 14.4V. Sam would be the person to ask.
Sam Bhai is out of india and will be coming back on Monday.....
Old 16th May 2007, 13:55   #5928
BHPian

Replacement for Infinity Kappa coaxial

Hi Guys,

My set up is as follows:

01. HU: Alpine CDA - 9854R:
02. FS: Infinity Kappa - 652.7i (6.75" coaxial with crossover):
03. RS: Infinity Reference - 9613i (6"x9"):

The SQ is excellent and crystal clear. The Head Unit is a real star with amazing sound quality. The 6x9 are also excellent with punchy bass. The front co-axial speakers produce clear sound but biased towards the mid range. The overall sound is very heavy metal and rock oriented. The sound stage is more in the middle than front (need to use fader to bring it to front).

While playing a metal song, the vocals and the lead guitars are heard from the Kappa in the front. The drums and other low frequency sound from the rear speakers. The 15k Hz+ frequency range is slightly biased towards the rear. The frequencies below 100 Hz are only heard from the rear.

Now the issue is that, I also listen to pop. This set up doesn’t produce the best SQ for pop. It’s more of a metal concert than a discotheque! Also I want to bring the sound stage to the front instead of mid/rear.

To resolve the issue, I’ve decided to replace the front speakers with either:

01.Blaupunkt Velocity VC 172 or
02.Hertz ESK 165

I personally prefer the Velocity simply because of its spec. The size of the magnets used is enormous. I am not sure whether this speaker would fit in the front doors of my Palio given its mounting depth. I haven’t heard both the above but I’ve tried other components in Blaupunkt and found them to be “laid back” enough for me (not proactive like the Kappa).

I assume that a combination of the above mentioned front speakers and the current rear speakers would resolve the issue. I would go in for an amp at a later stage but want to get my speaker combination corrected before that.

I need suggestions on deciding a replacement for my Kappa depending on the above mentioned requirements. Also, can anyone throw some light into Velocity VC 172 v/s Hertz ESK 165?
Old 16th May 2007, 21:13   #5929
BHPian

I did go to Sprocket today, the guy actually lit up when I mentioned that I got his store ref from Team BHP. Didn't get myself to say I knew Sam though , he was enthused enough (a far cry from the indifferent Moto Axis). (However he said the Sony HUs were the best and all Pio in the market is fake stuff).

Got to audition the GTO 937 finally, the guy at the store said the only difference betw GTO 937 and the CS (6x9) was that the GTO one had a lil button to boost treble which the CS didn't. And there were differences in the watts. Is that the only difference?

I was not really that impressed with this speaker - let me qualify: when played without an amp & sub connected, when the volume was turned up the sound was very noisy (no clipping, just noisy). I was looking for getting a lil bass even at medium volumes, but this didn't seem to happen. Is this due to a glass walled audition room (vs an upholstered car) or is it cuz of absence of an amp, or the absence of a sub??

Maybe I should get a sub afterall, atleast a chota one. Sigh!! I'll have to research all over again to find the ideal sub. Unless someone can suggest a good small sub.

Is it possible to fit a small sub under the front seat of an NHC? Or will a 3 way component speaker do the job if I keep the bass component under the seat?

Another thing Sprocket said was you can't bridge the output of a HU, ie. 50x4 will not become 100x2. Is that true? (sorry, newbie question).
Old 16th May 2007, 22:19   #5930
Senior - BHPian

ketchup - a 'chota' amp will also work wonders as far output from speakers is concerned - esp components.
Old 16th May 2007, 22:55   #5931
BHPian

Ketchup ,
He's a dealer for Sony as well , may be he is trying to push you into buying hte Sony .

The Gurus will clarify it in detail . in my opinion VFM HU are from Pio
I got 5990 for 10k with B&W from Radio Warehouse Chennai.

Something must be wrong , I suspect the room which is of glass because I have GTO 937 rear in my Santro and CS 2104 in front .
it plays amazing without any sub or amp volume till 17 18 I get a very good bass .

whats your config plan and budget?
Old 17th May 2007, 00:09   #5932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

01. HU: Alpine CDA - 9854R:
02. FS: Infinity Kappa - 652.7i (6.75" coaxial with crossover):
03. RS: Infinity Reference - 9613i (6"x9"):

The drums and other low frequency sound from the rear speakers. The 15k Hz+ frequency range is slightly biased towards the rear. The frequencies below 100 Hz are only heard from the rear.

To resolve the issue, I’ve decided to replace the front speakers with either:

02.Hertz ESK 165

I personally prefer the Velocity simply because of its spec. The size of the magnets used is enormous. I haven’t heard both the above but I’ve tried other components in Blaupunkt and found them to be “laid back” enough for me (not proactive like the Kappa).Also, can anyone throw some light into Velocity VC 172 v/s Hertz ESK 165?
IO have not heard the ESK 165 (unless it was these that were in Viper's Getz) but I have heard the 172 and like it signature on metal and pop. However there is a metalic twang to the sound so listen to it before you drop the money.

If the ESK 165 were what was in Viper's Getz (gunbir can confrim that) I think the 172 is less bright than the 165 (but the 172 and 165 were now heard in very different setups). BTW Infinity has come out with a 6020 that is less bright than the 6010 so you can try that too. Another brand I like a lot is Focal but Indian prices are a bit high (compared to what one would pay outside India).

Also a small amp like the JBL 60.4, 75.4 or Audison Lrx4 will help extend the bass of the components.

Last edited by navin : 17th May 2007 at 00:11.
Old 17th May 2007, 11:34   #5933
BHPian

Navin, thanks for the input,

I fitted JBL CS 60.4 yesterday and now there is tremendous improvement in the Kappa's base. However it is also more "brighter" now. The rear speakers are thumping very well. Still considering replacing the Kappa. The contenders are:

02.Infinity Reference 6020 CS

Sachin's Auto Shop told me that Velocity VC 172 has phased out and has been replaced by a 2007 model rated @ 55W RMS! I checked out those and found that the size of the magnets to be much smaller than the old ones.
Old 17th May 2007, 11:51   #5934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
02.Infinity Reference 6020 CS

Sachin's Auto Shop told me that Velocity VC 172 has phased out and has been replaced by a 2007 model rated @ 55W RMS! I checked out those and found that the size of the magnets to be much smaller than the old ones.
You are right the new Velos are not the same as the old ones. I'd take the 6020 over the new Velos. Still listen to both and maybe even Hertz.
Old 17th May 2007, 12:44   #5935

Hi,
I have plans of getting a new alto by next month. I am very partial to getting a good setup for my car audio that will give me value for my budget of 10-12k.
Whats the minimum i need..?? I hear components are truely value for money.
Considering the interiors of an alto, also please suggest the best speaker placement and who in your opinion in Bangalore will do a good job of fitting.

Your advice will be deeply appreciated.
regards
JTRider.
Old 17th May 2007, 14:15   #5936
Senior - BHPian

If you dont mind cutting the door for speakers & if you are ona budget, I would recommend a pair of JBL componants for front & a decent HU. This for starting would be a really simple & good quality install.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th May 2007 at 14:23.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:43   #5937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRider View Post
Hi,
I have plans of getting a new alto by next month. I am very partial to getting a good setup for my car audio that will give me value for my budget of 10-12k.
Whats the minimum i need..?? I hear components are truely value for money.
Considering the interiors of an alto, also please suggest the best speaker placement and who in your opinion in Bangalore will do a good job of fitting.

Your advice will be deeply appreciated.
regards
JTRider.
Hi I have a basic setup in my car which sounds extremely well..Pio 4950 HU, Alpine 690A speakers and rockford fosgate tweeters. Total cost would be approx 12k. Im in Bangalore, if you wanna check out my car, PM me your cellphone number. I can help you or give you Thouqeers address where you can get a great install. Almost all the senior BHPians recommend Thouqeer/Anwar for the BEST install in Bangalore.
Old 17th May 2007, 21:08   #5938
BHPian

Thanks Sameer (you're an audio Guru now!!) & Romyeo. I'm thinking of

Pio 7950
GTO 607c
CS3196 (6x9) Vs GTO937 (any tips?)
Sony 554
Scosche wiring & Dynamat damping

The above is adding up to 29k - like Sameer its twice my planned budget. I'll listen to this for a while and then decide if I should add a sub - I just hate the bulkiness of subs, I like my ice to be near invisible. Don't know why you need dolphins on the HUs, and grille covers that would pass for UFOs . Ok, if anyone knows if its possible to put a sub under a seat in an NHC - would appreciate hearing from you. Or can I use 3 way comps up front and put the woofer under the seat - do the Gurus approve?

Sprocket says you can't bridge the output of a HU, ie. 50x4 will not become 100x2. Is that true? (sorry, newbie question).
Old 17th May 2007, 21:19   #5939
BHPian

JTRider, Navin has posted a great sticky here

I've gone in circles and always came back to that post. Good sound advise it is (pun intended). But be warned, I gradually went from one level to the next in terms of my decision. I'm buying my ice on Monday. I'm currently at the final level (30k), and still don't seem satisfied.

Navin: thanks for that post, I think its time you introduced a 35k option too .
Old 17th May 2007, 22:21   #5940
BANNED

Hello,
I'm having an toyota corolla....
and i wanted to change the pannel of it. So can u please tell me which one can i go for, since in corolla we require a dual din pannel.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks