Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 10:14   #5761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The SONY figures are IMHO highly suspect. HUs that mention 50x4 mean peak RMS power.
These figures on most HUs is suspect. A HU's amp will most probably deliver about 8-12W rms /ch. Now this is much lower than advertised but is still usbale for general low level listening.

For good sound a good coax 2 way or 3 way will many times outperfrom their 4-5-6-7 way coax brethern.

Last edited by navin : 24th April 2007 at 10:19.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:26   #5762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
These figures on most HUs is suspect. A HU's amp will most probably deliver about 8-12W rms /ch. Now this is much lower than advertised but is still usbale for general low level listening.

For good sound a good coax 2 way or 3 way will many times outperfrom their 4-5-6-7 way coax brethern.
ya I agree the HU amp will do a fine job for the elderly people who would like to listen soft.....but for young blood amps and subs are the minimum requirments....
Old 24th April 2007, 12:36   #5763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
ya I agree the HU amp will do a fine job for the elderly people who would like to listen soft......
sometimes, just once in a while, we old men like to turn it up too! :-) LOL
Old 24th April 2007, 12:59   #5764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
sometimes, just once in a while, we old men like to turn it up too! :-) LOL
I was wait for the same from your side....lol.....
Old 24th April 2007, 17:21   #5765
Senior - BHPian

Ok, more confusion. Now that I have some spare cash from managing to get cheap used alloys (vtec enkeis) I'm considering 8k more on the audio. From what I gathered there's no decent sub + amp combo within that (Pio 5950, hertz comps upfront and round coaxials in the rear being the setup) - does it make sens to hold off and spend it (more) later once one surely needs it ?
Old 24th April 2007, 17:31   #5766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Ok, more confusion. Now that I have some spare cash from managing to get cheap used alloys (vtec enkeis) I'm considering 8k more on the audio. From what I gathered there's no decent sub + amp combo within that (Pio 5950, hertz comps upfront and round coaxials in the rear being the setup) - does it make sens to hold off and spend it (more) later once one surely needs it ?
one thing you can do is get a good 4-ch amp and later add the sub while puting the 6x9 on the HU.......
Old 24th April 2007, 17:49   #5767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
... I'm considering 8k more on the audio. From what I gathered there's no decent sub + amp combo within that (Pio 5950, hertz comps upfront and round coaxials in the rear being the setup) - does it make sens to hold off and spend it (more) later once one surely needs it?
More money more confusion, huh

I'd second l_b_m: Get a 4-ch amp now and run the fronts and rears off the amp. When you get a sub later, run the rears off the HU, bridge the freed-up channels of the amp and power the sub.

For 8k you can think of a Pio6200/6100 or a JBL CS60.4. You will also need to spend about 2.5K to 3K on power wiring & RCAs now. Maybe a bit of damping (just maybe, depending on how your doors and rear parcel shelf take to the amped speakers). Even if damping is needed, you maybe able to keep it to 1K. That would be a total of ummm... 11K for sure.

If you don't want to spend 11K now, wait a bit and get a better 4 ch amp later (maybe a JBL GTO75.4 for 13k -- that will do a lot more justice to a sub in a sealed box).
Old 24th April 2007, 17:55   #5768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
If you don't want to spend 11K now, wait a bit and get a better 4 ch amp later (maybe a JBL GTO75.4 for 13k -- that will do a lot more justice to a sub in a sealed box).
Ya I was thinking of the same amp....but as you said you have 8k to spend then I did not comment on the same....But IMHO get the 75.4...you will love it....
Old 24th April 2007, 18:57   #5769
Senior - BHPian

oh, so there's no good amp itself for lesser than 8k! I guess that makes it a different deal altogether - so am looking at 13-15k overall for the "next" upgrade - will first listen real hard for a while and decide whether my ears are any good and want more
Thanks hydrashok, lbm.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:44   #5770
Senior - BHPian

@zenx, the 8K-ish amps do a decent job of amping the front and rear speakers. Its when a sub also comes into the picture that we prefer a better amp. Since you do plan for a sub later, go for the better amp.

Anyway, like you said, if you upgrade bit-by-bit, you'll get better psychological bang for the buck.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:20   #5771
BHPian

Hi guys,

I got my ICE system wired couple of days back at Sachin's Autoshop, Koramangala, Bangalore. The installation was neat and hassle free. Wooden spacers were used to mount the Kappa coaxials on the front door. A detachable MDF board was used for the rear coaxials instead of the the standard parcel tray. I settled down with the factory fitted wires instead of going in for new ones.

My impression of the system:
01. HU: Alpine CDA - 9854R: Fantastic clarity and sound quality. Easy to use and doesn't look jazzy. Still exploring some options. AUX cable needs to be purchased additionally. Produces enough power for the speakers.

02. FS: Infinity Kappa - 652.7i (6.75" coaxial with crossover): Clear sound. Strong Mid and High range. Low frequency is average.

03. Infinity Reference - 9613i (6"x9"): Clear sound. Strong Low frequency sound (Gives an impression of a sub-woofer some times). Average Mid range. Good High range.

04. The combined sound of both the speakers is very good and a bit biased to the Mid range.

05. The sound stage is created in the center of the car (a bit biased to the rear). The fader can be used to adjust the same.

06. The speakers don't seem to handle the entire power of the HU! The HU is rated at 18 watts RMS each channel. The speaker are rated at about 100 watts RMS each. Any idea why the speakers don't handle more than 23 units in the volume control?

07. I think that I need an Active Sub-Woofer to get that perfect sound (I don't wanna go in for a passive sub-woofer + amp combination). Any suggestions?

08. Anything else that I need to know?
Old 27th April 2007, 16:36   #5772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
The speakers don't seem to handle the entire power of the HU! The HU is rated at 18 watts RMS each channel. The speaker are rated at about 100 watts RMS each. Any idea why the speakers don't handle more than 23 units in the volume control?
It is an incorrect impression. You are hearing, what is termed as clipping.
Basically, in simpler terms, the HU is running out of juice at higher levels and ends up distorting the music. The speakers are delivering this distortion to you.
I would not recommend you turn up the volume to this point. Remember, it is easier to blow up a speaker with an underpowered amp.
If you'd like it louder and more balanced sounding, please get a power amplifier.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2007, 16:44   #5773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It is an incorrect impression. You are hearing, what is termed as clipping.
and the sad part of this sort of distortion is that it can fry your tweeters even before you realise it. Tweeters dont complain like woofers do when they are pushed hard. clipping puts too much energy into the tweeter cooking it and it simply goes silent. so when you hear distortion turn it down. if you want to go louder add a 4 ch. amp. good amps can be had for as little as 8-10K. Use the 4 ch. amp to drive all 4 speakers.

If you still feel you need more bass add a subwoofer and use the HU to drive the rear 6x9s.
Old 27th April 2007, 17:11   #5774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
the HU is running out of juice at higher levels and ends up distorting the music. The speakers are delivering this distortion to you.
Then why don't these head units limit their volume controls to the appropriate power they can deliver?
Old 27th April 2007, 17:45   #5775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
07. I think that I need an Active Sub-Woofer to get that perfect sound (I don't wanna go in for a passive sub-woofer + amp combination). Any suggestions?
A big no no here....as good active sub are quite a few in the market......I would say get a good amp and sub in a enclosure will do a good job.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks