Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 12:18   #6526
BHPian

Gurus,
I have been looking for a 4 channel amplifiers.
I am getting a Alpine amplifier -807. This is supposed to be a 4 channel amp. I have never heard about this earlier.

Can someone tell me if this is good amp.
Old 12th July 2007, 13:08   #6527
BHPian

@ B&T
Thanks. That was new info to me.
i havent seen this speakers. So going by the pics, I think it looks like a coaxial speaker but magnet instead of the axis.

I also read elsewhere in the t-bhp forum that its made in India. hence competetively priced I guess.
Old 12th July 2007, 13:54   #6528

SWIFT LDI Sound System

Hello all,

New to this forum but comes very highly recommended so thought i would shoot out my questions. I am getting delivery of my Pearl white swift LDI this week and am a little confused on what sound system I want...my budget is about 25K and I think I have zeroed in on a Blaunpunkt Hamburg HU and am looking for some advice on speakers - looking for a component system in the front and my dealer recommends the Blau velocity series in the front and Gt series for the back 6.5" in the front and 6x9 in the back but have been suggested that JBL's (dont have the model number handy) have better sound quality...

Not looking for a sub and an amp as I would require some boot space but would probably go with mounting the rear speakers on a tray for better sound...

Would appreciate any advice both on the HU as well as speakers and do excuse my technical handicap!

Cheers
Old 12th July 2007, 14:21   #6529
Senior - BHPian

Dhar's, you're right. The magnet occupies the space that the tweeter and post of a regular coaxial would.

Manufacturing in India is cheaper if all the materials are sourced locally, and assuming that Indian labor rates are cheaper than that in the US. While the latter is true, 90% of materials used are imported. And although the imports are duty free since the speaker plant is purely for exports and located in an SEZ, the end product has to pay the full duties as for any other imported product for sale in the domestic market. So the only thing we save is on ocean freight.
Old 12th July 2007, 14:33   #6530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
90% of materials used are imported...the end product has to pay the full duties..the only thing we save is on ocean freight.
duties are payable of CIF value and "I&F" can add 5-7% to the cost of the speaker so really it is like imprting the speaker at a 5-7% dicsount.

BTW why are 90% of the materials (by cost) imported. Local suppliers are not willing to supply you the volumes you need?
Old 12th July 2007, 15:19   #6531
BHPian

Sub-Woofer installation position

Guys,

Just wanted to know the difference in sound produced by a ported sub-woofer in the below mentioned installations:

01. Facing the boot
02. Facing the roof
03. Facing the rear seat
04. Facing the C-Pillar

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:24   #6532
BHPian

Quote:

While the latter is true, 90% of materials used are imported. And although the imports are duty free since the speaker plant is purely for exports and located in an SEZ, the end product has to pay the full duties as for any other imported product for sale in the domestic market. So the only thing we save is on ocean freight.
I didnt knew that SEZ products sold in local market attract same rate of customs duty. There should have been some benefits.
So a Made in India product, yet duty payable!!!
Do these attract VAT also?

So its only assembling done in India. I think the 10% of local materials would be printing, packaging items, screws etc. For domestic market, assembling outside the SEZ would make any significant difference?
Old 12th July 2007, 16:24   #6533
Senior - BHPian

facing the Boot...

here is a thread on this topic..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...fire-boot.html
Old 12th July 2007, 19:26   #6534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab View Post
Hello all,

New to this forum but comes very highly recommended so thought i would shoot out my questions. I am getting delivery of my Pearl white swift LDI this week and am a little confused on what sound system I want...my budget is about 25K and I think I have zeroed in on a Blaunpunkt Hamburg HU and am looking for some advice on speakers - looking for a component system in the front and my dealer recommends the Blau velocity series in the front and Gt series for the back 6.5" in the front and 6x9 in the back but have been suggested that JBL's (dont have the model number handy) have better sound quality...

Not looking for a sub and an amp as I would require some boot space but would probably go with mounting the rear speakers on a tray for better sound...

Would appreciate any advice both on the HU as well as speakers and do excuse my technical handicap!

Cheers
hi rishab, looks like im talking to myself lol. my name is rishabh.

congrats for your new car. im not guru here so double check my suggestions with them.

i dont know the price of the blau hamburg HU. ill just let you know about the speakers.

there are many good components from brands like jbl/hertz/alpine/blau. dont go for sony as they are not recommended here.

for fronts you can go for

jbl gto607 for 6k with bill or
hertz deici for 6k again with b/w.

or if you can spend more, i would suggest
hertz energy es165 for 9.1k or
infinity reference comps for around 8k(?)

for the rears i would suggest sticking to the same brand and series for best match. i would go for
hertz deici 6x9s or
jbl gto 6x9 for around 5.5k with b/w

or in the higher end i would buy
hertz energy or
infinity reference series 6x9s.
no idea of prices, can anyone confirm? sam, gunbir?

im not mentioning blau speakers as i dont know the model nos and price. i have heard blau comps and i really liked them.

rest i would say try and listen before you buy.

cheers
clip
Old 13th July 2007, 13:53   #6535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
I didnt knew that SEZ products sold in local market attract same rate of customs duty. There should have been some benefits.
So a Made in India product, yet duty payable!!!
Do these attract VAT also?

So its only assembling done in India. I think the 10% of local materials would be printing, packaging items, screws etc. For domestic market, assembling outside the SEZ would make any significant difference?
Full VAT, i.e. 12.5% payable.

Speaker manufacturing is assembly, at the end of the day. Very rarely will a speaker manufacturer make all the parts themselves, eg. magnets, cold forged parts etc.

If it is assembled outside the SEZ it will be cheaper since then duty will be payable on imported raw material alone and not on the finished product. However the cost of setting up a second plant will be quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
duties are payable of CIF value and "I&F" can add 5-7% to the cost of the speaker so really it is like imprting the speaker at a 5-7% dicsount.
True, saving on the freight and insurance, and the duty on these is quite a packet. All in all, this results in nearly a 15% saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
BTW why are 90% of the materials (by cost) imported. Local suppliers are not willing to supply you the volumes you need?
International suppliers have same MOQs if not higher than Indian suppliers. Problem is not with the quantity. Problem is the dearth of a manufacturing industry dedicated to audio in India. Critical components like the edge wound voice coils etc. are manufactured in the US. I am not aware of someone who does that in India, let alone doing it well.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:01   #6536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Critical components like the edge wound voice coils etc. are manufactured in the US. I am not aware of someone who does that in India, let alone doing it well.
What are "edge-wound coils"? Are you referring to wires of rectangular cross-section wound with the narrow end touching the former (i.e. more turns-per-inch than circular wires)?
Old 13th July 2007, 14:04   #6537
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... and many don't know this but the baskets for Kickers subs and certain speakers are made in New Delhi, as are pole pieces for JL W7 etc. and the quality is top notch.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:10   #6538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What are "edge-wound coils"? Are you referring to wires of rectangular cross-section wound with the narrow end touching the former (i.e. more turns-per-inch than circular wires)?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hmm... and many don't know this but the baskets for Kickers subs and certain speakers are made in New Delhi, as are pole pieces for JL W7 etc. and the quality is top notch.
Yeah? I, for one, seriously didn't know this.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:31   #6539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Full VAT, i.e. 12.5% payable.
This VAT has brought about a revolution in the country, it has made every shopkeeper turn so honest overnight...even guys who might be selling smuggled products have started demanding (should I say "extorting") full 12% VAT This is alway an extra amount over whatever price you have been told and finalized, and it is mentioned at the last moment before making the payment (or when you ask for clarification!).

(Clarification for B&T, nothing is being directed to you, so please don't get started!)
Old 13th July 2007, 14:50   #6540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah? I, for one, seriously didn't know this.
Yup! Next time you are here in Delhi with some time, will take you to the mfr. He's been supplying to these brands for almost 6-7 years now. BTW, when do we see you here again.

Last edited by gunbir : 13th July 2007 at 15:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks