Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2007, 17:47   #6451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Does that mean that there won't be any significant difference between the OE Ford Speakers and the 507Cs?
Oh there will be a huge difference lol, don't worry.
Old 7th July 2007, 17:50   #6452
BANNED

Ofcourse Rey!
How can you ask a question like that?
Old 7th July 2007, 17:58   #6453
Senior - BHPian

Cool!
So 507C,it is!
Old 7th July 2007, 18:22   #6454
BHPian

hi navinji,

since you do fibre glass work yourself, i thought i would ask some questions and get some advice.

can you give me some tips on FG. would like to know what ratio you use for the resin and hardener. also would like to know from what kind of store i can get the FG raw material and wht do the stores call the raw fibre mat, in their terminology. i want to do some FG work on my car(little work for a start).

would be thankful if you could answer my queries and point me towards some FG sites on the net.

thanks in advance.
clip
Old 9th July 2007, 13:47   #6455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
can you give me some tips on FG. would like to know what ratio you use for the resin and hardener.
the fiberglass mat is bought by my company in 100 meter rolls I just cut what I need for my use. From what my colleague who handles inventory tlls me what i take is less than what we waste in scrap so I dont pay for the fiberglass mat.

The resin is bught from jewel polymers. it is first mxed with throughly mixed with an acclerator (in this case the acclerator is also suppkied by jewel) 1% v/v and just before pouring is mixed with catalyst also supplied by Jewel in 1% v/v.

Jewel recommends 1.5% but i find that that hardens too fast and I dont get enought time to spread the resin properly over the mat.

hope that helps.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:39   #6456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the fiberglass mat is bought by my company in 100 meter rolls I just cut what I need for my use. From what my colleague who handles inventory tlls me what i take is less than what we waste in scrap so I dont pay for the fiberglass mat.

The resin is bught from jewel polymers. it is first mxed with throughly mixed with an acclerator (in this case the acclerator is also suppkied by jewel) 1% v/v and just before pouring is mixed with catalyst also supplied by Jewel in 1% v/v.

Jewel recommends 1.5% but i find that that hardens too fast and I dont get enought time to spread the resin properly over the mat.

hope that helps.

hi navinji,

good for you i can use as much paper and corrugated board as i want but i guess thats not stiff enough(im a manufacturer of corrugated boxes) ;-) .

ok ill try the combination once i get my hands on the FG raw material. i guess it isnt available here in my city so now my plans for delhi are firming up.

i have to get some other stuff as well(true rms DMM, LCR meter, Caps etc and FG). sam you mentioned bhagirath palace for the electronic and electrical stuff right?? any other place if i dont get the above stuff from there?

thanks
clip
Old 9th July 2007, 18:06   #6457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi navinji,

good for you i can use as much paper and corrugated board as i want but i guess thats not stiff enough(im a manufacturer of corrugated boxes) ;-) .

ok ill try the combination once i get my hands on the FG raw material. i guess it isnt available here in my city so now my plans for delhi are firming up.

i have to get some other stuff as well(true rms DMM, LCR meter, Caps etc and FG). sam you mentioned bhagirath palace for the electronic and electrical stuff right?? any other place if i dont get the above stuff from there?

thanks
clip
You need to go to Lajpatrai Market, which is right opposite the Red Fort bus stop (south/west-bound buses). You have to go in past the Band shops (like Hindu Jia Band, who will play the compulsory Delhi version of Tequila) into the corridors inside. (Bhagirat Place, where you get electrical fittings like lamp shades etc. is further down the Chandni Chowk road behind the movie theater on the right - I forget the name).
[OT: there used to be a legendary joint called Omji Cafe in LR Market, who would serve up the meanest piping hot Channa Bhatura anywhere in Delhi. Don't know if it still exists - if it does, give it a try]

An alternate place to do a search for the meters et al would be Nehru Place in South Delhi (near Kalkaji) - you could ask the computer parts shops and they would be able to guide you, if *they* don't have it.

Navin-ji, since "Jewel" might be marketing only locally in Mumbai area, what is it that we should be asking for? Or rather, if we hear it, for what should we say "No, not that. I want ..."? I don't think I will be understood if I say "diglycidol ether of bisphenyl A, with polyamine hardener"

Last edited by DerAlte : 9th July 2007 at 18:10.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:31   #6458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi JPL,

I hope you are well.

For the front (If I remember correctly, you have a santro) 427. No enclosure for the 4" speaker, can be used for mids and highs only.

On the CS60.4 front channel:
Bass Boost off.
HPF on.
HPF frequency - 120Hz-150Hz.
Level, about a little over half (Change as per taste later)

Blaupunkt Ovals in the rear
CS60.4 rear channel
Bass Boost off
HPF on
HPF frequency at 70-90Hz
Gain at a little under half. (Change as per taste later)

GTO1204 Bass-Reflex Box
connected to CS300.1
Bass Boost off
LPF is always on in monoblock, so no need for LPF HPF setting
LPF set at 80Hz
Gain: Keep at half and change later after you playback.

Nothing I say is writ, as this will depend on your taste. But this will serve as a basic guide.
Sorry If I sound like a moron, but I have some basic questions.
I have a 60.4 which drives JBL607c in the front and JBL637 in the rear... if I want the front compos to produce more bass, which setting do I tamper with first? should I still keep HPF on? currently HPF is on, BB is off, gain is a tad less than half and I have no idea what the frequency setting is... how much can I safely increase the gain without compromising speaker health? Also Sam has mentioned keeping the front frequency at 120-150, can this be reduced to say 80 or so for components?

tia
Old 10th July 2007, 09:33   #6459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Navin-ji, since "Jewel" might be marketing only locally in Mumbai area, what is it that we should be asking for? Or rather, if we hear it, for what should we say "No, not that. I want ..."? I don't think I will be understood if I say "diglycidol ether of bisphenyl A, with polyamine hardener"
i just asked for polyester resin (bakelite hylam makes the same stuff but Jewel is cheaper). jewel is based in the mumbai area, a village/town called palghar but Der Alta you are right the technical term is bisphenyl something. I'll have to read the details from their packaging so that I get it correct.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:06   #6460
Senior - BHPian

Gurus,
I got the 507C components fixed in my ikon.
They're being powered by the HU.The front and rear signals from the HU are bridged to adequately power the components.
About my experience, I love the difference in treble which is more than i expected.
The bass is lesser than I expected.I like tight bass which i feel rather than hear.The woofer is sounding like a hollow drum which i dont prefer.
I'd like to know if im expecting too much from the 5.25" component woofer.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:10   #6461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Gurus,
I got the 507C components fixed in my ikon.
They're being powered by the HU.The front and rear signals from the HU are bridged to adequately power the components.
About my experience, I love the difference in treble which is more than i expected.
The bass is lesser than I expected.I like tight bass which i feel rather than hear.The woofer is sounding like a hollow drum which i dont prefer.
I'd like to know if im expecting too much from the 5.25" component woofer.
Thanks in advance.
You cannot bridge the front and rear of the HU. it is not at all advisable as the HU internal amp is not designed to be bridged. This may damage your HU.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:19   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Yikes!
The installer said he's never done this before.But, i made him do it anyway!
Can i get a second,third and fourth opinion??
Old 10th July 2007, 11:22   #6463
Team-BHP Support

Modern HU amps are not designed to be bridged. I am surprsied that the HU did not blow already.

I am sure Sam, LBM, Gunbir, B&T, Der Alte and other gurus will chip in soon.

Last edited by navin : 10th July 2007 at 11:24.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:46   #6464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Sorry If I sound like a moron, but I have some basic questions.
I have a 60.4 which drives JBL607c in the front and JBL637 in the rear... if I want the front compos to produce more bass, which setting do I tamper with first? should I still keep HPF on? currently HPF is on, BB is off, gain is a tad less than half and I have no idea what the frequency setting is... how much can I safely increase the gain without compromising speaker health? Also Sam has mentioned keeping the front frequency at 120-150, can this be reduced to say 80 or so for components?

tia
Nothing moronic about your question. The simplest way to increase the bass from your components is to lower the frequency of the HPF. Going to 75-80 is OK.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:46   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Ok, ill remove the bridge asap.
Thanks,gurujis!
About my other query?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks