Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 17:40   #6586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
A simple question to the GURU's. If someone is is getting a simple ICE setup like HU + 2 compos + 2 6x9 is it necessary to go for AMP wiring KIT or will the default wiring kit will do a good job ?
for a HU + compo and ovals you dont need AMP wiring kit. only speaker wire is required. which is quite cheap.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:44   #6587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A simple question to the GURU's. If someone is is getting a simple ICE setup like HU + 2 compos + 2 6x9 is it necessary to go for AMP wiring KIT or will the default wiring kit will do a good job ?
@abhibh, AMP wiring kit = Power cable for the Amp + RCA cables to connect HU to Amp + speaker wires to handle the higher power.

So if you are NOT putting in an amp NOW:
1. if your car is pre-wired for sound (some are), the existing speaker cables would be good enough for the HU power
2. if your car is not pre-wired, it may be a good idea to put in speaker cables recommended to handle Amp power. In that case you will only need to put in the Amp power and RCA cables when you put in an amp
Old 15th July 2007, 17:49   #6588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
My Dad still talks about the time when every good product, from cars to cameras came only from Europe (and the US) and the word JAPANI was synonymous with cheap, plasticky and poor built things.

Example of usage: .
Example of usage: Shailndra like that sang a song about that - "Mere Joote hain Japani" in a movie called Shree 420.
Old 15th July 2007, 17:51   #6589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what wiring kit. if you are not using an amp dont worry. use the stock wires that come with the speakers.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:27   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Example of usage: Shailndra like that sang a song about that - "Mere Joote hain Japani" in a movie called Shree 420.
Would you be referring to the song picturized on Raj Kapoor that was famous even in USSR and Eastern Europe? I thought that was Mukesh singing "Mera joota hai Japani, ye patloon Inglistani, sar pe laal topi Roosi, phir bhi dil hai Hindustani"
Old 15th July 2007, 20:32   #6591
Distinguished - BHPian

In any case, he wasn't referring to his shoes being of poor quality, he was declaring himself a world citizen, with an Indian heart.

When it comes to Hindi, navin gives the worst examples!! lol.
Old 16th July 2007, 00:00   #6592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
but to many A.S.S. matters
I have always wondered about this aspect. I am sure that my car must be serviced at regular intervals and some spares may need to be replaced as well. So I have a Maruti, who I know are the best at it in the country. I have even bought a couple of years of extra warranty.

But when it comes to HUs, amps & speakers, do we really need any service as such? I believe all these components will either work fine without requiring any maintenance or just blow, mid-bass or woofers being an exception, that too only to some extent. And when blown, it would be very difficult to say whether it was due to ignorant usage or the fault in the product itself (typical clauses in warranty statements). Only thing is that the person can feel little safe in warranty period. But I believe on an average, warranty on electronics does not cross 1 year.

Am I missing something here? Is it any different when it comes to ICE?
Old 16th July 2007, 02:32   #6593
BHPian

Quote:
Akbaree, I honestly suggest you stop spending money like this. What you've got so far is very good.

Remember a god installation and tuning will change the sound. Please look at the recent advice I gave JPL - it will almost apply to you.
Go to a new installer. Your equipment is fine.
Just buying new stuff is not the answer. Every dealer likes selling new stuff. I suspect this one is trying to sell you some RF instead.

Stop spending money on new equipment and go to a good installer with an idea of what you want. Read this post #6419 thoroughly.
Sorry Sam. I actually tried avoiding the lure of unnecessary spending but some how couldn't live with my old set-up. After reading so much about ICE setups, I realized that whatever I had done so far was purely fictional. Becuase I had no idea of what I was doing. I wanted to start from the scratch and build a match for my car. And I did. I got a new set-up installed last week. I was very busy and couldn't write this post earlier.

The only thing I have retained is my Alpine 9881 system. The specifications are as follows

Alpine 9881 with 2 Volt RCA output (it has three pre-outs)
I now have three RF amplifiers (2 P450.2, 1 P300.1). I couldn't get P400.2 here in b'lore.
1 P450.2 is powering the front components, and the other one is powering the rear 6x9. The 300.1 is powering the subwoofer.

I now have Polk Momo components (6.5") and Polk Momo 6x9. The subwoofer is RF P12D DVC 4Ohm (wired to run at 2Ohms).

The cabling is all Monster.

I did spend some addtional 80K on the system after exchanging my old equipment. The only satisfaction I derive is that I understand what I have done in my car. I have taken a lot of pain to understand the science behind this. The RMS matching of the speakers and amplifiers. SVC V/S DVC wiring flixibilities and a few more things like RCA output voltage, crossover frequencies, et al. Whatever inputs I have got from this site were also of great help. This is the just the beginning and I know I have a long way to go.

The sound quality is at-least 35% better. I am almost (95%) their as far as the loudness and clarity of the sound is concerned. I feel that I still have to do some more tuning to get the best possible output from this installation. Initially I had put the amplifier setting on all pass for my 6x9 and was controlling the HPF from the head unit. But I was not sure if that will affect the Subwoofer RCA output as well. Well I have now set the HPF to off on the HU and have set the HPF thru the amplifier for my 6x9 as well. I am experimenting with the settings.

Let me share this with you all - It was a busy day at the shop when my setup was being carried out at the shop. There were a lot of people coming their for something or other. There were many cars that came with jazzy systems installed and decibels from their system were for all to hear. But when any of them heard the system in my car, their jaws dropped. As I said the sound is still 95%. I don't want to spend more lacs to get that 99% percent mark.

The fact is that if you match all the components well, you will get the best sound from the set-up. Don't go just by brands. First thing to check is specification. Then ofcourse brand.

If anyone has read up to this point, thanks for spending time on reading this. I might be making a point which most of people know on this forum, but I just shared my experience.
Old 16th July 2007, 09:45   #6594
BHPian

@akbaree
Pics - any?
Old 16th July 2007, 13:39   #6595
Senior - BHPian

Need advice Upgrading ICE in Safari

hi All

i wanna update my current ICE setup in Safari in a cost effective manner so wud appreciate all the advice from u GURUs

the current setup is

HU is -- KDC-MP 4032(3 sets of 4 volt pre-amp outputs)

4 Sony XS-GF1622(16 cm) for all 4 doors

2 Pioneer TS-A6972R and a 10" kenwood subwoofer(cudnt find the model no)

1 Sony 554 Amp running the sub and pioneer 6x9s in the boot

the door speakers are all running from HU directly.

the setup is ok types but still its lacking sometimes.the main problem is that it seems everything is happening in the boot,shall i switch to some comps in place of door speakers?

do i need to get another Amp for running the door speakers if then wats the best bet?

Please advise mods in current ICE setup and further updates as i'm not a technical guy but i need gud sound.

thanks
Old 16th July 2007, 14:03   #6596
BHPian

Is pumping 800watts RMS into a single Pio306 DVC an overkill?
Old 16th July 2007, 14:24   #6597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Is pumping 800watts RMS into a single Pio306 DVC an overkill?
Very if driven at high volumes it can damage its suspension and may burn the voice coil also.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:20   #6598
BHPian

Worth the upgrade? Pioneer 5850 to 6950IB

My car decor guy is giving me the option of switching from my existing year-old Pioneer 5850 HU to the Pioneer 6950IB. He will give me a fair price for my existing HU. Is the upgrade worth it?

I have GTO437 (front) GTO 937 (back).
Blau 2-channel amp for Subwoofer (JBL 12" 1000 W - in sealed box).
Old 16th July 2007, 15:30   #6599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
My car decor guy is giving me the option of switching from my existing year-old Pioneer 5850 HU to the Pioneer 6950IB. He will give me a fair price for my existing HU. Is the upgrade worth it?
Define fair price Baba.
Old 16th July 2007, 16:01   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Define fair price Baba.
3.5K for the old HU sir.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks